Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are women as desperate for sex?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarahdunners

GooglePlus wrote: »
    We're put on this Earth to do one thing and that is to reproduce.

Women generally have a drive to find a suitable environment to raise a child and get pregnant. Financial stability in a partner is key for this and when at the right time in their cycle, a woman will yearn for insemination.

Men have a higher drive because we can impregnate as much as we ejaculate, we're egg fertilizing machines and nature has us mad horny, so we'll do just that.

I think that all men and women have this same sex drive, but I personally think that women have more respect and empathy for men.

They don't think, "I have this sex drive and it must be fulfilled NOW. YOU owe me sex! "

I was reading about the rape case of Thordis Elva. She did a TED talk with her rapist.

He said that he presumed that he was owed sex because she was his girlfriend , and that "he was worth more than her".

These are the attitudes that we need to change

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Are men really more desperate?

Yes, and as a gay man I can tell you it is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

but I personally think that women have more respect and empathy for men.

Yes, you've really demonstrated that on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I think that all men and women have this same sex drive, but I personally think that women have more respect and empathy for men.

They don't think, "I have this sex drive and it must be fulfilled NOW. YOU owe me sex! "

I was reading about the rape case of Thordis Elva. She did a TED talk with her rapist.

He said that he presumed that he was owed sex because she was his girlfriend , and that "he was worth more than her".

It really all boils down to animal instinct and biology. Men are made to impregnate and women are made to get pregnant. Unfortunately, our biology hasn't caught up with the idea of monogamy and mutual respect, so as men, we are solely reliant on self control, but the urges remain.

Woman dont need the sex drive that a man has, in order to fulfill nature's purpose.

I'm speaking from a biological perspective. Men respecting women comes down to upbringing and attitudes are changing for the better, in my opinion but I'm a man so I wouldn't know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Accepting Cookies

Plopsu wrote: »
    Yes, you've really demonstrated that on here.

Oh really, I would think the disgusting display of a lack of empathy award goes to Tacitus Kilgore when he rudely dismissed her awful experience as "muck." I was disgusted to read that. Nothing to say of that, Plopsu? Standing by your "bro," are you? At least the poster Sarahdunners raises some interesting and intelligent angles, some of the other comments are nothing more than keyboard warriors. Maybe lack of sex is causing pent up rage, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Oh really, I would think the disgusting display of a lack of empathy award goes to Tacitus Kilgore when he rudely dismissed her awful experience as "muck." I was disgusted to read that. Nothing to say of that, Plopsu? Standing by your "bro," are you? At least the poster Sarahdunners raises some interesting and intelligent angles, some of the other comments are nothing more than keyboard warriors. Maybe lack of sex is causing pent up rage, lol.

Here Sarah, stop trying to make the thread about something else. Read the title, and the latest reply from google plus, says it fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Of course some loser online is calling somebody an incel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Perhaps, I didn't comment on it because he/she was making fun of a poster whose veracity he/she obviously doubted as opposed to making a statment about the entire population of the world which his/her own behaviour directly contradicted.

I love the way, when some posters are disagreed with, they go straight for nonsense like your last sentence (which also contradicts the bit I quoted from her, so well done for making my point for me... lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well Whiteknighted, chief. You should ask her for sex, get in before the hundreds of other fellas that ask her every day. :pac::pac::pac:

Here Sarah, stop trying to make the thread about something else. Read the title, and the latest reply from google plus, says it fairly well.

You mean Accepting Cookies, and check your own posts before you accuse someone else of that. When was the last time you made a genuine and constructive comment relating to the OP? You're a bully, and you need to stop. Luckily she's a teacher, probably well used to handling bad, childish behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Tbh, depending on the age of consent in Iceland, it sounds like drunken sex and 'drunk' doesn't equal rape.

Tbh, she even says that she was fully aware to count the seconds and was not intoxicated enough to not be able to give consent.

You can watch the youtube video yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well Whiteknighted, chief. You should ask her for sex, get in before the hundreds of other fellas that ask her every day. :pac::pac::pac:

One gets the feeling it would be a self-pleasuring situation, Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Getting away from Sarahdunners' incredibly off-topic posts, men are more desperate for sex than women, this is a fact. Ultimately, men either admit they are always desperate for sex or else don't admit it. Women, due to their cycles, can give or take it at certain times of the month but the immediate post-period phase is where women are truly like men and desperate as well. To put this down to any sort of societal conditioning is wrong and is normally done by those seeking to justify their humanities degrees. It is pure biology and how we are designed to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

You could say that men have a more pressing physical need.

You could also say that men have less control.
    And that they are more selfish ," I have a sexual urge and I deserve to have it fulfilled, "

The second statement is misandry, pure and simple. And if you reallybelieve that about a lot of men you should get counselling, especially if you work with young people. I work mostly with men and they are all brilliant, genuine, good people. As are the women around here. And same goes for everywhere else - just grand people.

I'm a woman, so plenty of my own unsolicited offers to deal with. I couldn't even buy a painting rod extender in the local hardware the other day without the male employee making a sexual pole dancing joke about it at me. **** like this has been happening for as long as I can remember. I am very interested to hear answers to what Sarah has asked and what she has to say.

I'm a woman, so plenty of my own unsolicited offers to deal with. I couldn't even buy a painting rod extender in the local hardware the other day without the male employee making a sexual pole joking dance joke about it at me. **** like this has been happening for as long as I can remember. I am very interested to hear answers to what Sarah has asked and what she has to say.

All I can say is, you must be utterly mesmerizing creatures, you and that other chungwan. :pac:

All I can say is, you must be utterly mesmerizing creatures, you and that other chungwan. :pac:

You must be an utterly non-informed male/member of society to have NO clue about women's experiences. As Sarah mentioned, myself and most other women I know have been through experiences ranging from trauma to mild sexual harassment and everything in between. I am pushing 40 and like I said, it is STILL happening. I am interested in reading all the replies on this thread because I have often wondered the same. And what it is about biology or society that influences us. I wouldn't dare mention toxic masculinity, or I'd get eaten alive I'm sure. I also know that the men (or women) who have behaved very badly towards the opposite sex have plenty of people going around thinking they're very lovely people. That's really not a final word on anything.

You must be an utterly non-informed male...

Uninformed. "Non-informed" is one of these bullshine non-words, like "revert to". And I suggest you find a better class of hardware store.

Uninformed. "Non-informed" is one of these bullshine non-words, like "revert to". And I suggest you find a better class of hardware store.

Is that all you have, grammar policing? I suggest men working in hardware stores or anywhere for that matter, behave better. I shouldn't have to drive all over looking for a hardware shop not to be sexually harassed in. Are you actually for real? Part of the problem. Sure, he can't be expected not to do it, so I need to fix the problem by going to another one, and then another one, and then another one... wow.

Is that all you have, grammar policing? I suggest men working in hardware stores or anywhere for that matter, behave better. I shouldn't have to drive all over looking for a hardware shop not to be sexually harassed in. Are you actually for real? Part of the problem. Sure, he can't be expected not to do it, so I need to fix the problem by going to another one, and then another one, and then another one... wow.

If you have a genuine problem with that man I suggest you contact his employer and report him. That's what I would have done had I overheard such a performance by a so-called professional. And I further suggest you don't put words in my mouth, in most particular when you don't know the first thing about me.

• Advertisement

I didn't put any words in your mouth, you just didn't like being called out for your ridiculous suggestion.

I don't need you to tell me how to handle sexual harassment. Now I suggest you focus on the OP, because I am done answering your personal posts of nonsense. Though I'd like to know what a chungwan is. Actually, no I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

You must be an utterly non-informed male/member of society to have NO clue about women's experiences. As Sarah mentioned, myself and most other women I know have been through experiences ranging from trauma to mild sexual harassment and everything in between. I am pushing 40 and like I said, it is STILL happening. I am interested in reading all the replies on this thread because I have often wondered the same. And what it is about biology or society that influences us. I wouldn't dare mention toxic masculinity, or I'd get eaten alive I'm sure. I also know that the men (or women) who have behaved very badly towards the opposite sex have plenty of people going around thinking they're very lovely people. That's really not a final word on anything.

I have been sexually assaulted several times. Never once did I think it was the fault or inclination of any other man except the attackers. And on behalf of my good brothers, father, uncles, sons, husband and male friends I would not taint a whole sex with that dreadful phrase toxic masxmculinity. Some people will not be happy til every man has the balls ripped off them.

I didn't put any words in your mouth, you just didn't like being called out for your ridiculous suggestion.

I don't need you to tell me how to handle sexual harassment. Now I suggest you focus on the OP, because I am done answering your personal posts of nonsense. Though I'd like to know what a chungwan is. Actually, no I wouldn't.

You're doing it again. And my suggestion, far from being ridiculous, was one of only two possible useful responses to what happened in that shop.

Gynoid wrote: »
    I have been sexually assaulted several times. Never once did I think it was the fault or inclination of any other man except the attackers. And on behalf of my good brothers, father, uncles, sons, husband and male friends I would not taint a whole sex with that dreadful phrase toxic masxmculinity. Some people will not be happy til every man has the balls ripped off them.

Tell me, where did I taint an entire sex with bringing up the FACT that toxic masculinity exists? Nowhere, did I ever taint an entire sex nor smear the name of your menfolk. I too have a wide range of menfolk in my life, none of whom I tainted, either. That is a complete over reach by you, and your problem, not mine.
    I'm very sorry to read you have been sexually assaulted several times. Statistics and women's experiences tell us that it is a very common experience. The metoo movement was picked up in over 80 countries, and anti harassment policies are being implemented and improved in many workplaces. There is obviously a big problem here, but you don't even want to talk about toxic masculinity? Which is harmful to men as it is women. I would argue the men we love deserve better, too.
    I don't think you understand what toxic masculinity is, how that impacts all of us, and why it has a place in this conversation. I suggest you do some research, google is a fine place to start. Not even being sarcastic. The fact you think mentioning toxic masculinity is a taint on manhood shows your lack of understanding.

...I'm very sorry to read you have been sexually assaulted several times. Statistics and women's experiences tell us that it is a very common experience. The metoo movement was picked up in over 80 countries, and anti harassment policies are being implemented and improved in many workplaces. There is obviously a big problem here, but you don't even want to talk about toxic masculinity? Which is harmful to men as it is women. I would argue the men we love deserve better, too.

Now this I can get behind. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A huge part of this is biology: men have between 270 and 1070 Nanograms Per Decilitre of Testosterone in their bodies (average level is 679) that peaks at around 20 and slowly declines over the course of their lives. Women tend to have between 15 and 70 ng/dL of the same hormone.

A woman I once knew was receiving medical treatment for abnormally high levels of testosterone commented at the time (paraphrasing) that she "didn't know how men get anything done! I'm horny all the time and find it hard to focus on anything". I remember thinking at the time that the world would be a much better place if we could just convince the producers of gin and pinot grigio to add a dash of testosterone to their products!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tell me, where did I taint an entire sex with bringing up the FACT that toxic masculinity exists?
    Whenever someone feels the need to capitalise the word "fact", you can be sure that they're spouting a (usually ill-informed or indoctrinated) personal opinion.

Sleepy wrote: »
    ...A woman I once knew was receiving medical treatment for abnormally high levels of testosterone commented at the time (paraphrasing) that she "didn't know how men get anything done! I'm horny all the time and find it hard to focus on anything". I remember thinking at the time that the world would be a much better place if we could just convince the producers of gin and pinot grigio to add a dash of testosterone to their products!

My better half experiences a similar effect from strawberry ice-cream and nice handbags - she does love a good handbag, that gal. I don't know, I'd say the wiring diagram is quite horrific... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

i know i'm literally brand new here, but i had to register after reading this thread.

Can i point out that "accepting cookies" and the "SarahDunners" are most likely the same person??

the writing style is the exact same, and they arent posting in real time together. one dissapears as the other takes the helm.

jus saying.

either way - both of these people are talking about something completely different to the OP.... how is that helpful to people if they want to look up a particular topic but then they click into that topic or thread and its about something else??

maybe i have a bit to learn about the site, but it seems a bit mad to allow 2 false profiles to have an argument with themselves about something completely different to the original post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

This is a multifaceted problem and I am sure I will make some generalisations and miss some key points.

Think about it this way. An average or below average woman can go most nights of the week and go home with a guy who is a lot more attractive than them. A 5/10 woman can go out most nights of the week and go home with a guy who's a lot more attractive than them, but a 4-5/10 guy has no chance. This is the case for the majority of men, It's not a level playing field. I don't blame women for wanting the best, if I was in their shoes I'm sure I would seek the same. It's part of the heterosexual dynamic, women hold all the cards when it comes to dating.

In my circle of friends, I am the ugly bald one. Although I am happy in my own skin, there are odd times when I feel jealous of my extremely good looking friends who match with women constantly on these dating apps and have a lot of sex and intimate relationships with lots of different varyingly attractive women, simply because they can. Women throw themselves at them. It's one of our most animalistic desires to have sex with an attractive mate. Beautiful people are perceived to be more successful, wealthier, better in bed, more intelligent, their actions are tolerated more than less attractive people. That's the way most of our brains are hardwired, It's human nature.
    There are exceptions. of course it's not all down to physical attractiveness. We all know those who 'punch above their weight', but they are the outliers. They aren't the desperate ones, they can be wealthy or have extremely attractive personalities.

A lot of guys are starved of love and attention, thus seek a meaningful emotional connection with a significant other. This manifests into desperation and most of us don't realise it when we actually manage to attract someone or match with someone. Desperation, AKA "nice guy" syndrome, isn't attractive to anyone. Being overly nice, over-complimenting, apologising for minor things that don't warrant apologies in the first place, mirroring personalities, clinginess, laughing at everything they say, agreeing with everything they say, acting very familiar, move things along at a very unreasonably quick pace, saying "I love you" within the first few weeks. Desperation makes guys do anything to impress a potential partner in an attempt to feel this sense of connection they so desperately crave, but the way some of us go about this is fundamentally wrong. The attractive guys more often don't have to put in a lot of effort to impress and so don't exhibit this overwhelming sense of desperation.

Undoubtedly dating apps have been revolutionary in the sense that they have brought together so many people from varying parts of the world that would have never met without them. However, in my opinion, they have inadvertently severely limited the dating pool for a lot of below and average-looking men. This feeds into the growing sense of loneliness and narcissism for both sexes nowadays.
    However, women have greater social connections, they are more likely to talk to their friends when they feel lonely. Unfortunately, a lot of males feel don't have this safety net because males inherently keep their problems to themselves, therefore, feeding into chronic loneliness, and also because of societal stigma that fuels toxic culture.

I think some guys mistakenly believe that a lack of deep emotional connections in their lives can be reversed by having sexual encounters. This is part of the reason why men straight up ask for sex. The other factor is testosterone of course which makes us want the ride.

For some men, sex is fundamental to forming a bond with someone or developing a relationship, without it, it feels more like a friendship. It feels nice for someone to lay in your arms, it feels nice to feel desired.

I have been that desperate guy and it has never worked for me, it has been a huge turnoff for the opposite sex. But thankfully this year I have managed changed my mentality to change the way I approach dating. While I haven't had any solid success this year, women have become a lot more receptive to me despite my unattractiveness. I am hoping for something positive next year.

Advertisement