Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are women as desperate for sex?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Accepting Cookies

Sleepy wrote: »
    Whenever someone feels the need to capitalise the word "fact", you can be sure that they're spouting a (usually ill-informed or indoctrinated) personal opinion.

There are indeed facts in life, not everything is down to opinion. The term toxic masculinity is a real term in the field of Psychology actually. It refers to the traditional cultural masculine norms that can be harmful to men, women, and society overall. It is not my job to inform you, you should do that all on your own.

Here is a link to one of the best videos I've seen that talks about sexual harassment and toxic masculinity, from a men's point of view and chat. Justin Baldoni hosts and talks with Matt McGorry, Scooter Braun, Lewis House, Tony Porter and Jamey Heath. It's really eye opening.

http://www.wearemanenough.com/episode/sexual-harassment/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

For some reason men seem to think that talking about sex all the time is the 'right' thing to do.Especially among each other.

Women have other stuff to talk about.Biology is a fact of nature, let's all move on...

Maybe women are just as desperate, and just don't feel the need to talk about sex all the time.Or maybe men aren't actually desperate, but have to talk about sex constantly to seem more 'manly'(?) In front of other men.

Who knows....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

shesty wrote: »
    For some reason men seem to think that talking about sex all the time is the 'right' thing to do.Especially among each other.

Women have other stuff to talk about.Biology is a fact of nature, let's all move on...

Maybe women are just as desperate, and just don't feel the need to talk about sex all the time.Or maybe men aren't actually desperate, but have to talk about sex constantly to seem more 'manly'(?) In front of other men.

Who knows....

My friends and I rarely talk about sex. I think that's only done by people who don't have any. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

jimgoose wrote: »
    My friends and I rarely talk about sex. I think that's only done by people who don't have any. :D

Yep. Sex would be very low down the list of topics. Talking about it all the time would b f*cking weird.

i know i'm literally brand new here, but i had to register after reading this thread.

Can i point out that "accepting cookies" and the "SarahDunners" are most likely the same person??

the writing style is the exact same, and they arent posting in real time together. one dissapears as the other takes the helm.

jus saying.

either way - both of these people are talking about something completely different to the OP.... how is that helpful to people if they want to look up a particular topic but then they click into that topic or thread and its about something else??

maybe i have a bit to learn about the site, but it seems a bit mad to allow 2 false profiles to have an argument with themselves about something completely different to the original post.

I am fairly new to the site also, but if it is possible, I welcome any moderator to check registered email and/or IP addresses to verify we are not the same. You know what else isn't helpful? Registering an account and your first and only contribution is to openly accuse two posters of being the same person. I could accuse you of signing up today with your own agenda. See how that works? I've been on other chat sites before, and even though I am a newer member to this one, it's always the same. When two people share a similar opinion and someone else feels threatened, they're always accused of being the same person. You weren't even the first to do that on this thread. Textbook. Yawn. I am also reporting your comment to mod's as I don't appreciate the accusation.

• Advertisement

OP. It's mostly an age thing. When guys are young, and inexperienced, they don't know how to get women. As they get older, men tend to become less desperate, because they know what works for them, and for a selection of women "types". More regular sexual success, less overall interest in having it. But all men are biologically hardwired to think about sex often.

Women, on the other hand, live in a culture where they know that men will approach them first, so they can just wait for it to happen. When they make the first move, the effect is magnified, because it's generally so rare. And because it's fairly rare, they tend to succeed far more than a guy would. So there's less pressure on them to be desperate because their success rates are far higher. It also helps that the fashion culture that has grown has encouraged clothing and appearances which directly affect men on a subconscious level. High heels change the shape of the legs, bras are used to emphasize or exaggerate breasts, perfume which affects males physically. All of which greatly increase a woman's ability to "score" which a man doesn't tend to have access to because society hasn't sought to encourage it. (In fact the use of similar "helpers" by males, such as pheromones, are often seen as manipulative and dishonest).

I haven't been desperate for sex (as a man) in well over a decade. I simply moved to a country with a larger population, and one that appreciates white men as being different than asian men. Most guys never consider their environment and whether they should just move to "greener pastures", instead, they stick it out and deal with their existing limitations.
    Tell me, where did I taint an entire sex with bringing up the FACT that toxic masculinity exists? Nowhere, did I ever taint an entire sex nor smear the name of your menfolk. I too have a wide range of menfolk in my life, none of whom I tainted, either. That is a complete over reach by you, and your problem, not mine.

Toxic masculinity isn't a fact. It's simply a lazy sexist label used by people who don't want to deal with the real problems within society. Problems that affect both males and females alike. That both men and women are responsible for their lives, and how they interact with others.
    I'm very sorry to read you have been sexually assaulted several times. Statistics and women's experiences tell us that it is a very common experience.

Most people have. I've been "sexually assaulted" by both men and women at different times over the last three decades. Especially, when the term has been expanded to cover just about anything that someone finds even remotely offensive. Your next point is essentially what encouraged the term Sexual assault to move away from having any definite meaning anymore.
    The metoo movement was picked up in over 80 countries, and anti harassment policies are being implemented and improved in many workplaces.

The metoo movement was a declaration of unverified claims by females against males. It was popular because nobody needed to prove anything, and would receive a circle of popular support for their claims. What's not to like about that?

Anti-harassment laws were already in place, but have, in many countries, gone beyond what is needed, and that is why many workplaces have become "tense", and many other people are opting out of dealing with the opposite gender altogether... but hey, unintended consequences aren't relevant.. Instead, it'll be used as ammo to support the toxic.m attitude.
    I don't think you understand what toxic masculinity is, how that impacts all of us, and why it has a place in this conversation. I suggest you do some research, google is a fine place to start. Not even being sarcastic. The fact you think mentioning toxic masculinity is a taint on manhood shows your lack of understanding.

Because it's not toxic masculinity. It's toxic culture that affects both males and females alike while they are teens, and causes them to behave in a negative manner. Placing the blame on the male gender (masculinity) completely ignores all the contributions of females to both culture and the development of males. The focus instead is completely on the males. Rather convenient that.

If it was indeed toxic masculinity, then every male on Earth would be plagued by that kind of behavior. They're not. It's a part of culture which some people are affected by to various degrees. Many are men.. others are women. It would be more responsible and effective to deal with the culture that encourages both males and females to behave in such a manner. But that's unlikely to happen because the women who talk about toxic masculinity and support the metoo movement would have to stop playing the victim, and actually take responsibility for their own lives.. :rolleyes:

There are genuine cases out there which should be reported, investigated, and processed. The metoo movement takes away from that because it encourages the mob to take action, rather than using the law. That's dangerous, and completely irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Jesus, this is a car crash of a thread!

Women do think about and want sex. Libido will vary widely during the menstrual cycle if hormonal contraception is not used, peaking during ovulation and before a period as mentioned before.

We are brought up differently though, as well as having different hormones. There's no way my parents would have entertained a new man at the front door every week. We probably are pickier too, I wouldn't go home with someone I just met, I would need to be comfortable around him before I'd have sex.

Question for men now, if you would like to have more regular sex with women, and for them to be less selecting, how would you feel if you met a woman, got on well and were hoping for a relationship etc., then a few weeks in discovered she'd had sex with a few of your friends, brothers, uncles and cousins on numerous one night stands? Would it change how you viewed her?

For the record, I don't hate or fear men, nor do I think they're unable to control themselves and walk around like rapists-in-waiting. These hysterical claims are best ignored.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here is a link to one of the best videos I've seen that talks about sexual harassment and toxic masculinity, from a men's point of view and chat. Justin Baldoni hosts and talks with Matt McGorry, Scooter Braun, Lewis House, Tony Porter and Jamey Heath. It's really eye opening.

From "men's point of view"? A bloody narrow view it is indeed and from an even narrower subset of men(women rightfully complain about not being seen as a hivemind, same goes for men), couched in American college campus intersectional feminist guff and crawthumping about how sensitive and "feminist" they are. No thanks.

As for "toxic masculinity" it's just more of the same utter scutter of modern feminism that feeds into the same's mantra that women are always agentless victims and men are always to blame and even if men are victims it's of "toxic masculinity" and the "patriarchy" so it's still somehow their fault. The only acceptable male seems to be one that's culturally gelded and eager to spout yes dear. Hell the same eejits pushing this guff have blamed"toxic masculinity" for the higher than average rates of partner abuse among lesbian couples. You couldn't make this stuff up. Oh wait they did. Along with the paygap, one in four, the educational and health gaps and so on. That nonsense is only eye opening from the point of bemusement.
    The fact you think mentioning toxic masculinity is a taint on manhood shows your lack of understanding.
    Oh I'm pretty conversant with the politics and philosophy of current feminism thanks very much and a goodly chunk of it is a provable nonsense and too much of it, particularly online, is the nonsense of attention seeking hysterics revelling in victimhood and blame looking to peddle their wares for attention and profit.

TL;DR? No, just no.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

I am fairly new to the site also, but if it is possible, I welcome any moderator to check registered email and/or IP addresses to verify we are not the same. You know what else isn't helpful? Registering an account and your first and only contribution is to openly accuse two posters of being the same person. I could accuse you of signing up today with your own agenda. See how that works? I've been on other chat sites before, and even though I am a newer member to this one, it's always the same. When two people share a similar opinion and someone else feels threatened, they're always accused of being the same person. You weren't even the first to do that on this thread. Textbook. Yawn. I am also reporting your comment to mod's as I don't appreciate the accusation.

i dont feel threatened, your writing looks the exact same, even with the LARGE words thrown in here and there to PRONOUNCE it more dramatically.
    you share identical opinions, you slate men in the same way and have nearly the same amount of post counts on both profiles.
    Fair enough if i got it wrong, but do you not think that your style of writing/debating is a bit aggressive and completely one sided?

of course i had an agenda signing up today - i literally said that i signed up because of this thread, and to point out that i thought you and sarah were the same person.
    that was my agenda - i've done that now, so now i suppose i can get stuck into something else, or maybe see how the thread pans out and contribute again on this one.

One thing is a true fact though - you thundered onto the thread a few pages back and immediately began to denigrate men in general terms, tried to turn the discussion into "why rape happens" rather than sticking to the original post - let me point out that this is in after hours, where i read at the top is supposed to be more light hearted stuff? is there nowhere else that people like you and sarah can go and shame all men and talk amongst yourselves about rape.

judging by your stance that "All men talk about sex and degrade women" , then i could easily, by reading your approach take the stance that - "all men talk about sex, while all women talk about how many things they can turn into a story about being sexually harrassed or raped"

why is it ok for women to be so loud and vocal about degrading men, but men are not allowed call women out on it, or say anything in the same vain....

either way - let's get back on topic - this thread is not about rape, or how men treat women - it is a simple question which does not need mad men-hating women with issues coming on here and trying to turn it all into a rant about how many times they've encountered toxic men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Wow, this has to be one of the best threads in a long time. I can't find words for how hilarious it is.

• Advertisement

Wibbs, are you really going to comment on a video that you haven't even seen? How do you know it's a "bloody narrow view?" You don't know anything of the sort because you haven't even watched it. Aka, prejudiced.
    Your post was so obviously uninformed, dismissive, and more interested in rhyming and name-calling than anything based in reality it's literally painful to read. I'm done here, and I've said everything I want to. Watch the video or don't. When you already have predjudiced pre-conceived notions, you obviously have no interest in informing yourself outside of that. Men have been accusing women of being hysterical forever, nothing new here to see.

i dont feel threatened, your writing looks the exact same, even with the LARGE words thrown in here and there to PRONOUNCE it more dramatically.
    you share identical opinions, you slate men in the same way and have nearly the same amount of post counts on both profiles.
    Fair enough if i got it wrong, but do you not think that your style of writing/debating is a bit aggressive and completely one sided?

of course i had an agenda signing up today - i literally said that i signed up because of this thread, and to point out that i thought you and sarah were the same person.
    that was my agenda - i've done that now, so now i suppose i can get stuck into something else, or maybe see how the thread pans out and contribute again on this one.

One thing is a true fact though - you thundered onto the thread a few pages back and immediately began to denigrate men in general terms, tried to turn the discussion into "why rape happens" rather than sticking to the original post - let me point out that this is in after hours, where i read at the top is supposed to be more light hearted stuff? is there nowhere else that people like you and sarah can go and shame all men and talk amongst yourselves about rape.

judging by your stance that "All men talk about sex and degrade women" , then i could easily, by reading your approach take the stance that - "all men talk about sex, while all women talk about how many things they can turn into a story about being sexually harrassed or raped"

why is it ok for women to be so loud and vocal about degrading men, but men are not allowed call women out on it, or say anything in the same vain....

either way - let's get back on topic - this thread is not about rape, or how men treat women - it is a simple question which does not need mad men-hating women with issues coming on here and trying to turn it all into a rant about how many times they've encountered toxic men.

I would say signing up a new account and your first post being to attack two different posters is who is aggressive here.
    I haven't slated or denigrated men anywhere. This is getting really tedious. Quote me where this has happened.
    I never once mentioned rape, and you still haven't gotten stuck into the thread other than to aggressively attack two members. Fine, lighthearted contribution!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Your post was so obviously uniformed...[

A word of advice - stop dismissing anyone who doesn't buy into that American crap as "uninformed". You'd be amazed how informed we are, that's why we don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Okay this thread has gone full retard...abort.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There are indeed facts in life, not everything is down to opinion. The term toxic masculinity is a real term in the field of Psychology actually. It refers to the traditional cultural masculine norms that can be harmful to men, women, and society overall. It is not my job to inform you, you should do that all on your own.

That the term "toxic masulinity" exists is a fact I won't dispute.

That it actually exists as an aspect of society outside of the "academic" rhetoric of expensively indoctrinated third wave feminists I do.

I always find it amusing that these self same "feminists" usually rely on Daddy to pay for the miseducation that tries to blame him for the infantile delusion that it's the "patriarchy" that makes their darling little princess unemployable rather than her poor choices and lack of work ethic.

Wibbs, are you really going to comment on a video that you haven't even seen? How do you know it's a "bloody narrow view?" You don't know anything of the sort because you haven't even watched it. Aka, prejudiced.
    Your post was so obviously uniformed, dismissive, and more interested in rhyming and name-calling than anything based in reality it's literally painful to read. I'm done here, and I've said everything I want to. Watch the video or don't. When you already have predjudiced pre-conceived notions, you obviously have no interest in informing yourself outside of that. Men have been accusing women of being hysterical forever, nothing new here to see.

it's a narrow view because anything to do with modern feminism has absolutely no value to anyone. everyone in the world now knows that anything to do with so called Feminism is usually the ranting of someone who feels a need to be offended, finds ways to invent stories about toxic masculinity.

do you not think that this new way of describing men (that you have been evidence of) and claiming things like "toxic masculinity" are just as bad, if not worse than some old guy saying something about pole dancing to you or whatever it is?

this toxic feminism is causing many young men to take their own lives. it breeds a feeling of "well, if that's the attitude of women, then i'll never be able".
    attitudes like yours have taken many a man/boys life over the last few years and it needs to be stopped and women like you with these opinions should just shut up - because frankly, nobody wants to listen to it. not even other women - real women, who have no desire to be seen as being behind the type of "cause" that you think you are part of.

what you are is a toxic woman whose vocal opinion is shared thankfully by a very minor selection of other women, but they are loud.
    what these so called feminists are doing to the mind-set of young men is way worse than any of the sexual harrassment that you mentioned, including rape, and i say that, because a death by suicide is still a worse outcome than a woman getting raped who is still alive afterwards.

jimgoose wrote: »
    A word of advice - stop dismissing anyone who doesn't buy into that American crap as "uninformed". You'd be amazed how informed we are, that's why we don't buy it.

American crap? A word of advice, just because the men having this conversation in the video are American doesn't make it crap. How is okay to dismiss an entire culture of people and their content as "crap?"

it's a narrow view because anything to do with modern feminism has absolutely no value to anyone. everyone in the world now knows that anything to do with so called Feminism is usually the ranting of someone who feels a need to be offended, finds ways to invent stories about toxic masculinity.

do you not think that this new way of describing men (that you have been evidence of) and claiming things like "toxic masculinity" are just as bad, if not worse than some old guy saying something about pole dancing to you or whatever it is?

this toxic feminism is causing many young men to take their own lives. it breeds a feeling of "well, if that's the attitude of women, then i'll never be able".
    attitudes like yours have taken many a man/boys life over the last few years and it needs to be stopped and women like you with these opinions should just shut up - because frankly, nobody wants to listen to it. not even other women - real women, who have no desire to be seen as being behind the type of "cause" that you think you are part of.

what you are is a toxic woman whose vocal opinion is shared thankfully by a very minor selection of other women, but they are loud.
    what these so called feminists are doing to the mind-set of young men is way worse than any of the sexual harrassment that you mentioned, including rape, and i say that, because a death by suicide is still a worse outcome than a woman getting raped who is still alive afterwards.

WTAF... time to abort this thread is right. This is the most aggressive, pile of garbage posting I have ever seen. Complete nonsense of a word salad.

Your post was so obviously uninformed, dismissive, and more interested in rhyming and name-calling than anything based in reality it's literally painful to read.

He's seen more threads on sexism, feminism, etc than just about anyone, and you think he's uninformed? Seriously?
    I'm done here, and I've said everything I want to.

Yup. Drop a load of gibberish, fail to defend your statements, and then withdraw. It's quite common with those who have issues with males.

It's a pity though, because it would be nice to find some feminist driven posters who actually matched up to their own expectations of how males should behave. But i guess having a different set of standards and rules for men to behave just goes with the territory.
    When you already have predjudiced pre-conceived notions, you obviously have no interest in informing yourself outside of that.

How can you not see the irony in writing that, considering your previous posts?
    Men have been accusing women of being hysterical forever, nothing new here to see.

The truly funny thing is that females have been bragging about being "the emotional sex" for centuries. Females are apparently more in touch with their emotions than men, and understand themselves better... so... a woman being called hysterical by a man, is pretty logical since you embrace your emotional side.

Which is a great privilege to have because most men aren't allowed to do that... because having greater physical strength coupled with unrestrained emotions tends to lead to violence. For women, it leads to emotional violence with language, but that's somehow ignored. Another convenient little benefit there. Women really have such a hard life in comparison to men. /Sigh.

Hilarious. Victimhood is so addictive, isn't it? :rolleyes::pac:

WTAF... time to abort this thread is right. This is the most aggressive, pile of garbage posting I have ever seen. Complete nonsense of a word salad.

no it isnt - its a valid observation on the current state of affairs for a lot of young men in ireland. they have to put up with attitudes like this, and it's causing a lot of harm. worse harm than a lot that is perceived as "harm" by feminists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

yes, women are dripping for it, especially way out west, must be the salty Atlantic air, just my experience anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I suffered fifteen minutes in. That was more than enough. Hell the first three minutes set out these ejjits stalls pretty well. It kicks off with the Oh noes the sky is falling down because Men(tm) and how do you feel as Men(tm) about this, followed by them all going on about how worried they are as Men(tm) and how worse it's going to get unless they fall in with "feminism". AKA the usual retarded American social studies ballsology. Oh and Matt McGorry is a bloody embarrassment to meat and two veg packing humans. Humans in general actually.
    Your post was so obviously uninformed, dismissive, and more interested in rhyming and name-calling than anything based in reality it's literally painful to read.
    Literally painful eh? No it wasn't, stop exaggerating. Only children react in this manner. I can pretty much guarantee I'm more widely informed on this matter. I've read enough around the subject from varuous sources, external and internal to the feminist politic and history of it. Though I didn't realise I rhymed. Sweet I'm a poet and don't know it.
    Men have been accusing women of being hysterical forever, nothing new here to see.
    Yep, all men and all women. Not. But that doesn't suit the victimhood complex inherent in too much current feminist thought, but when someone who has attained adulthood is being hysterical for no damned good reason, man or woman, pointing it out is hardly a crime, especially when they're going arund accusing entire sections of society of impropriety.
    A word of advice, just because the men having this conversation in the video are American doesn't make it crap. How is okay to dismiss an entire culture of people and their content as "crap?"
    Because a small group of men and women on one website is not within an asses roar of reflecting an entire culture of people and their beliefs. Odd that you think it is. Though because it speaks to your faith I suppose that's understandable to think it more universal.
    pile of garbage
    We tend to say "rubbish" on this side of the big wet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That's it. Run along back to the thought bubble of your feminist sisters who'll never dare to actually apply critical thinking to your misandry.

you just dont like being told how the world actually works.
    it doesnt work the way it does in your own head.

I always find it amusing that these self same "feminists" usually rely on Daddy to pay for the miseducation that tries to blame him for the infantile delusion that it's the "patriarchy" that makes their darling little princess unemployable rather than her poor choices and lack of work ethic.
    And men have to be responsible for both their actions and women's and must also be responsible for telling other men not to rape, while protecting women all the time. I'm reminded of Homer Simpson's quote on beer and feel the need to paraphrase for dyed in the wool american college influenced feminists; men are the cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

no it isnt - its a valid observation on the current state of affairs for a lot of young men in ireland. they have to put up with attitudes like this, and it's causing a lot of harm. worse harm than a lot that is perceived as "harm" by feminists.

You obviously have NO idea what a feminist actually is, that men are feminists too, and that feminism is a good thing for society as a whole. I won't respond to you any longer as you are overly aggressive and derailing this thread. The topic was about women and men and how they feel about sex, of which the ideas I presented have a place in that. As I've said I also wondered about the contributions of both biology and culture/society. Men and women's views on sex most likely have to do with both. You've contributed nothing but aggressive, senseless attacks. Blocking you from here on out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Yeah, I read an interesting qoute online in regards to this situation.

It was something along the lines of 'some women see men as treating them so badly in the past that any cruelty towards men is justified/not as bad'. It's pretty much propaganda at this point.

That's it. Run along back to the thought bubble of your feminist sisters who'll never dare to actually apply critical thinking to your misandry.

Unless you go against the narrative, and then there is an element of 'never suffer a witch to live' ;)

That term thankfully faced a lot of backlash from within psychology.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    And men have to be responsible for both their actions and women's and must also be responsible for telling other men not to rape, while protecting women all the time. I'm reminded of Homer Simpson's quote on beer and feel the need to paraphrase for dyed in the wool american college influenced feminists; men are the cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

Wibbs, that is what is harmful, ridiculous stereotypes.

Men should be holding other men accountable. Similar to the fight against racism. It's not enough to just be "not racist," while allowing it to go on around you unchallenged. White people should hold other white people accountable and call it out wherever you see it. Same idea. There seems to be anti-Americanism going on here also, what is that about? Do you think that there are no Women's or feminist studies in Universities here in Ireland? Or all over the world? Hate to break it to ya...

Advertisement