Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cazale wrote: »
    Drumshanbo distillery who are behind gunpowder Irish gin have released their first whiskey in the last few days. 12,000 bottles at €80 a bottle. Distilled by themselves so not bushmills/cooley stock like other first releases. Some places like Celtic whiskey shop have already sold out their initial allocation. Description below.

The Drumshanbo inaugural release is a triple distilled Single Pot Still with a mash bill of malted Irish barley, un-malted Irish barley and Irish Barra oats matured in a combination of Kentucky Bourbon barrels and Oloroso Sherry casks. This limited expression contains whiskey from the first ever cask distilled at the Shed Distillery in Leitrim on 21st December 2014 and has incredible rich flavours of pot spice, dried fruits and figgy pudding. 

€80 for a 4 year old whiskey is hefty. Obviously marked up for the rarity value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

irish_goat wrote: »
    €80 for a 4 year old whiskey is hefty. Obviously marked up for the rarity value.

The Irish Whiskey market is beginning to lose the run of itself with its pricing! 80 is mental money for that considering its part of a 12,000 bottle release!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Agreed. That's absolutely nuts when you can get plenty of 10 and 12 yr old whiskies for that price and less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Wailin wrote: »
    Agreed. That's absolutely nuts when you can get plenty of 10 and 12 yr old whiskies for that price and less.

Even older, Knappogue 14 year and Tullamore 15 year both cheaper than that in the same shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Teeling Single Pot Still Batch 1 (which to be fair is a 3yr whiskey) had a €55 RRP and there were 6,000 bottles in the first batch.

The value of a bottle of Batch 1 has gone up in value to €80-100 but Teeling would be a much better known brand and its a much rarer whiskey considering the number of bottles in the first release.

The Drumshambo reeks of being a rip off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

PS - got a Caskmates Stout recently for €25 and at that price it's really good. I wasn't mad about the IPA one.

Being what a strong taste most people associate with an IPA it was just really smooth and mild. Whereas the stout you get a little bit of that deeper stout flavour in a similar smooth... perhaps overly so... package. I find them very drinkable and forgettable. But around that price they're worth a go.. especially the stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Drumshanbo distillery who are behind gunpowder Irish gin have released their first whiskey in the last few days. 12,000 bottles at €80 a bottle. Distilled by themselves so not bushmills/cooley stock like other first releases. Some places like Celtic whiskey shop have already sold out their initial allocation. Description below.

The Drumshanbo inaugural release is a triple distilled Single Pot Still with a mash bill of malted Irish barley, un-malted Irish barley and Irish Barra oats matured in a combination of Kentucky Bourbon barrels and Oloroso Sherry casks. This limited expression contains whiskey from the first ever cask distilled at the Shed Distillery in Leitrim on 21st December 2014 and has incredible rich flavours of pot spice, dried fruits and figgy pudding. 

I bought two bottles in O’Briens in Terryland, Galway earlier this evening for anyone fussed about it. One for me and one should make a nice Christmas present.

The staff said they had 9 left from their first delivery of 12 and were hoping they would get one more (delivery).

Edit: On first glance, its bottled at 46% case that changes some minds. The packaging is beautiful or wasteful depending on the eye of the beholder, I'm in the former I thing it looks really nice. Will be saving the tasting for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Being what a strong taste most people associate with an IPA it was just really smooth and mild. Whereas the stout you get a little bit of that deeper stout flavour in a similar smooth... perhaps overly so... package. I find them very drinkable and forgettable. But around that price they're worth a go.. especially the stout.

With the IPA one it tasted like a cheap whiskey with a flavour added. I think I paid over €30 for it as well which didn't endear it to me either.

Stout one I thought a lot smoother. It's still a cheap whiskey with a flavour added, but hides that better :)

If I see another stout Caskmates for under €30 before Xmas I'll grab one. Must try and get the Aldi 12yo as well though...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Edit: On first glance, its bottled at 46% case that changes some minds.

Redbreast cask strength is bottled at over 54%,has an age statement and is only €10 more. Crazy money for a 3 yr old new make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Picked up a miniature of Natterjack Irish whiskey.

It has an interesting back story, first whiskey from Gortinore Distillers in Waterford - a blend of malt and corn whiskey- a unique fusion of the Irish and American whiskey traditions having been finished in a Virgin American Oak Cask.

Sweet and smooth, with a nice long finish somewhere between apple and orange zest - *ahem* I'm cribbing from the tasting notes here:
    https://www.martinsofflicence.ie/spirits/natterjack-irish-whiskey/

Full bottle retails at €50 which seems very overpriced for what is a nice, but not amazing, whiskey with no real age statement.
    Actually reminds me a little of the Lambay small batch.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The ipa was is poor.

The stout one is great but at €25 - €30.

It’s lovely when coupled with a glass of imperial stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Picked up a miniature of Natterjack Irish whiskey.

It has an interesting back story, first whiskey from Gortinore Distillers in Waterford - .

Smoke and mirrors.
    There is no distillery, therefore they are not distillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Smoke and mirrors.

Even the website refers to the distillery in future tense. Company address is in Dublin.

But misdirection seams to be their marketing approach...
    ...blend of malt and corn whiskey- a unique fusion of the Irish and American whiskey traditions...
    Hardly unique. Virtually every producer does that. The difference being everyone else does it discreetly to save costs at the entry level. On paper this looks to be a folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Picked up a bottle last night and had a right go. Its really really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Missed this post earlier. Pot still and sherry cask is my jam. This possibly made my Xmas list.
    Where can I get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Can I get recommendations for a good whiskey/whisky in the €0-80 range

I don't know a whole lot about whiskey, I'm more of a craft beer man but I do like smoked and I like sherry cask so im thinking along the lines of connemara 12 yr (i like the regular) or laphroaig.

Any other suggestions? Doesn't necessarily have to be a smoky or sherry.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Can I get recommendations for a good whiskey/whisky in the €0-80 range

I don't know a whole lot about whiskey, I'm more of a craft beer man but I do like smoked and I like sherry cask so im thinking along the lines of connemara 12 yr (i like the regular) or laphroaig.

Any other suggestions? Doesn't necessarily have to be a smoky or sherry.

Definitely would recommend picking up Talisker 10YO while it's €30 in Tesco.

Quackster wrote: »

Excellent value and a very decent whisky, that reminds to get one asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It and Cardhu were stripped bare in my local Tesco so I had to settle for Bush 10 and Johnny Walker Black. Such a terrible compromise :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Smoke and mirrors.

Indeed! Natterjack is sourced from Great Northern Distillery I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Quackster wrote: »

Too good to pass that up.

I also got a 10 year laphroaig on Amazon for £26 Stg. Couldn't pass that up either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Excellent value and a very decent whisky, that reminds to get one asap!

Quackster wrote:

I got two bottles for €37 with clubcard vouchers I had in the wallet. Can't beat that!

Absolute bargain there, that's over €70 saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Absolute bargain there, that's over €70 saving!

I almost felt guilty haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Finally got round to getting a bottle of Laphroaig 10. Very nice. Really smokey. Smells like a campfire. Very similar to Lagavulin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Just placed the Christmas order for some supplies with the family and wife. Thought I'd try something new.

I have requested a bottle of Writer's Tears, Glendalough 7 barrels and Silkie blended from Sliabh Liag.

I am looking forward to the writer's tears as I have had that before and it's very nice. Not sure what to expect with the other ones but it's a nice excuse to try new tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

irish_goat wrote: »

Charge what you can get away with, isn't that typically what a lot of businesses do?

I tried a couple of the Drumshanbo whiskies a while back. Nice, but there's other stuff I'd rather buy at that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Effects wrote: »
    Charge what you can get away with, isn't that typically what a lot of businesses do?

That is what every business does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Effects wrote: »

The correct terminology is to charge what people are prepared to pay :-)

Why charge less than people are prepared to pay?

Look up Accountant Vs Economist pricing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement