Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

How much longer can they dodge each other at this stage? 'The fans' they appear to care so much about have been waiting 4 years for it. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I dont think any fighter is scared or dodging another fighter. It's their advisers and promoters, most likely Eddie Hearns fault. I'd love to see Fury beat Wilder next month then have Fury v Joshua in Wembley in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

We'll get Fury v Joshua in about 5 years time, when every cent has been bled out of the boxing public and both are passed their prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All Fury's fights at the moment are in the US so unless AJ decides to cross the pond it won't happen anytime soon especially as he refused to rematch Ruiz over there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

walshb wrote: »
    I would be just as confident that Wilder is flattened if AJ lands his best shot(s). Both very heavy hitters. Both have dodgy beards, albeit, AJ has shown it more, to date!

Guys, it’s a 3 rds max shootout!!!

I dont think Joshua is that heavy of a hitter compared to Wilder.

Parker,Ruiz twice(flash knockdown imo in the first fight) & Takam all could take Joshua's best shots.

Wilder has never been dropped despite being outboxed regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I would be just as confident that Wilder is flattened if AJ lands his best shot(s). Both very heavy hitters. Both have dodgy beards, albeit, AJ has shown it more, to date!

Guys, it’s a 3 rds max shootout!!!

What other fights did Wilder show a dodgy chin? Ortiz did seem to have him a bit rattled seconds before he went to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No Fury boxes even moreso on the side of safety.

If Fury put in that exact performance last night against Ruiz we would be listening to how he is an absolute technician.

Just to add I'm not for one second saying this type of performance is what I love to see. But a win is a win anyone trying to take that away from AJ is clutching at straws.

AJ done exactly what he had to do and done it well, my only gripe with the other night was go horrific Ruiz was ,
    Lets not beat around the bush for a guy of his size get even further out of shape and heavier for his first world title fight is a disgrace,

Also don't see Ruiz beating any of the top 6 lads he just isn't that good,

AJ done well and done what he had to ,but I don't think id call it a masterclass like some have because of the competition
    Ruiz is just not that good and never was ,

Sky had to hype him once he beat Aj but in reality he will float around 7-10 in the world rankings for a number of years before dropping off ,

What other fights did Wilder show a dodgy chin? Ortiz did seem to have him a bit rattled seconds before he went to sleep.

I'd count Wilder chin as an unknown ,
    Ortiz is the only one to hurt him but everyone else he has fought is scared of there life to let there hands go as it means they will be put to sleep, (Bar Fury who's not a big hitter)

On that note AJ reacts horrible to getting punched,He stiffens up and looks in trouble when he isn't , it happened a few times the other night when Ruiz got close, it just looks bad when he probably is fine

Sky had to hype him once he beat Aj but in reality he will float around 7-10 in the world rankings for a number of years before dropping off ,

Like the new Chris Arreola, always floating about but never up to much

So with Usyk is now mandatory to fight for the title with in 180 days, how do you guys reckon Hearn goes about getting out of it ?

Personally I can't see them taking that fight

• Advertisement

So with Usyk is now mandatory to fight for the title with in 180 days, how do you guys reckon Hearn goes about getting out of it ?

When Fury won the belts he was stripped of the IBF for not facing their mandatory and signing for another fight (can't remember who). I could see AJ doing something similar, I think Usyk is too much of a wildcard for him and Hearn right now, especially since he just got his belts back. It's a fight I wanna see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Which belt is Usyk mandatory for? Cant see Hearn wanting Joshua to drop a belt or fight him. Itll be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

US2 wrote: »
    Which belt is Usyk mandatory for? Cant see Hearn wanting Joshua to drop a belt or fight him. Itll be interesting to see how it plays out.

WBO, lots speculating that joshua will vacate and Usyk Chisora will be made. Keeping the belt with matchroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He'll fight his other mandatory in Pulev. Hearn will try to match Uysk with Chisora or Whyte in the mean time. I think Joshua will have to meet him at some stage if he wants to keep the belts, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

WBO, lots speculating that joshua will vacate and Usyk Chisora will be made. Keeping the belt with matchroom.

There will be opposition to that and rightly so. Everyone wants to see a unified bout next year.

He'll fight his other mandatory in Pulev. Hearn will try to match Uysk with Chisora or Whyte in the mean time. I think Joshua will have to meet him at some stage if he wants to keep the belts, though.

Pulev is a bit of a a gimme so I expect that's the route they will take,
    As someone said they will wan the next fight to be a gimme for the bank balance and then fight Uysk ,

I'd also imagine Hearn put Uysk in with Whyte in the hope Whyte takes him out of the picture,

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Anyone else think Usyk dominates saturday nights version of AJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think it's all going to come down to how well Usyk takes a shot at heavyweight.
    In terms of footwork and pace he gives Joshua a lot of problems. He'll be able to cut off the ring and get stuck into AJ, possibly tiring him out with his work-rate, but he is going to have to eat a few shots on the way in.

He wouldn't dare fight Usyk like that , I think he would try and blast him out ,

I also think he will 100% not take that fight next , he will want to see Usyk fight another top heavy weight first so he can get a game plan right for him ,

He got the game plan wrong for the first Ruiz fight and he won't want to make that mistake again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Hopefully Ruiz will wake up a bit, stay active and get in something approaching shape. A fight with Ortiz would be a good way for the winner to get back into contention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,028 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He wouldn't dare fight Usyk like that , I think he would try and blast him out ,

I also think he will 100% not take that fight next , he will want to see Usyk fight another top heavy weight first so he can get a game plan right for him ,

He got the game plan wrong for the first Ruiz fight and he won't want to make that mistake again,

If AJ is real champ/killer he shouldn’t need any gameplan to KO a blown up CW, who isn’t a puncher...

Can you imagine a Tyson or Lewis thinking this way..

If AJ is real champ/killer he shouldn’t need any gameplan to KO a blown up CW, who isn’t a puncher...

Can you imagine a Tyson or Lewis thinking this way..

Tyson lost twice to a blow up CW champion in Evander

Same Evander drew with Lewis , weighed 215 lbs in the first Tyson fight and the first Lewis fight,
    Same weight as Usyk weighed in his first heavy weight fight,

Tyson lost twice to a blow up CW champion in Evander

AJ is 240-250 lbs...A monster sized HW

Usyk isn’t remotely the fighter that Holyfield was...

Anyway, Tyson and Holyfield fought when both past their best days...and both a lot naturally closer in size to each other than AJ and Usyk.

Bringing them up here has no relevance whatsoever...

Plan to beat Usyk? How about this: go in, knock him out. Go home...

AJ is 240-250 lbs...A monster sized HW

Usyk isn’t remotely the fighter that Holyfield was...

Anyway, Tyson and Holyfield fought when both past their best days...and both a lot naturally closer in size to each other than AJ and Usyk.

Bringing them up here has no relevance whatsoever...

Plan to beat Usyk? How about this: go in, knock him out. Go home...

You brought them up ?
    You literally asked what would Tyson or Lewis do against a blown up CW,

Holyfield and Usyk where both unified champions when they came up so good comparison

Holyfield beat Tyson twice weighed the same as Uysk 215lbs the first time,

Drew with Lewis who weighed 245lbs v Holyfeild 215lbs in there fist fight,

I just answered your question that's all.

And did Tyson and Lewis have to fret about it? No, they just got in and fought..

Holyfield was a full HW when he met Tyson. Very close in size..both past it.

You seem to be implying that the “undisputed” champion of the world, at his peak, and 240-250 lbs needs to wait and see, and come up with a game plan to beat a blown up CW who isn’t at all a puncher...

If this is what AJ does, then it is kind of pathetic from a fighter point of view...

I asked can you imagine Lewis or Tyson having to plan and really think before stepping in the ring with Usyk. Pathetic. Both would step in, and destroy him...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Usyk was outboxed by Bellew for much of there fight.

Joshua,Wilder & Fury would knock him out.

If anything I dont think Uysk would want to face Joshua yet. He needs to fight someone like Chisora first.

Actually, scrap Lewis and Tyson..

Do you reckon Wilder, at 220 lbs needs to stop and think and plan, and wait until he builds up the balls to step in with Usyk?

I must be missing something with this Usyk lad, who has done nothing at HW, and whose best wins are v Bredis and Gassiev at 200 lbs..

And did Tyson and Lewis have to fret about it? No, they just got in and fought..

Holyfield was a full HW when he met Tyson. Very close in size..both past it.

You seem to be implying that the “undisputed” champion of the world, at his peak, and 240-250 lbs needs to wait and see, and come up with a game plan to beat a blown up CW who isn’t at all a puncher...

If this is what AJ does, then it is kind of pathetic from a fighter point of view...

I asked can you imagine Lewis or Tyson having to plan and really think before stepping in the ring with Usyk. Pathetic. Both would step in, and destroy him...

Who said anything about fretting ?

Yes I am saying he needs to come up with a game plan or he could be outboxed and beaten,

This is the same man who didn't have a game plan v Ruiz the nobody and got ko'd and when he had a game plan the second time he won ,,

We all literally just seen on Saturday night the difference between having a good game plan and not having ne or at least not sticking to one,

Actually, scrap Lewis and Tyson..

Do you reckon Wilder, at 220 lbs needs to stop and think and plan, and wait until he builds up the balls to step in with Usyk?

I must be missing something with this Usyk lad, who has done nothing at HW, and whose best wins are v Bredis and Gassiev at 200 lbs..

Same Widler who changed his game plan two weeks ago to fight Ortiz for the second time,

Yes it ended with a right hand again but he boxed him completely different than the first fight , This time he waited and waited and threw nothing like the volume from the first fight , He had a different "game plan"

• Advertisement

Who said anything about fretting ?

Yes I am saying he needs to come up with a game plan or he could be outboxed and beaten,

This is the same man who didn't have a game plan v Ruiz the nobody and got ko'd and when he had a game plan the second time he won ,,

We all literally just seen on Saturday night the difference between having a good game plan and not having ne or at least not sticking to one,

I know. I was just exaggerating a bit for debate.

Not getting at you, but do you not see the sadness of it, if it was what AJ was thinking and doing?

Get the fook in, and knock the lad out. You are supposed to be D baddest man on the planet...

How much thought and time and planning do you need to go in to try knock out a man 30-40 lbs lighter than you?!!!

Advertisement