Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Delboy and Hughie are the biggest names on his record since Wlad. He's 38 now so he needs to get another title shot quick.

Aye. He was signed up for AJ wasn’t he and Takam replacer him due to injury. Strange he never got much mention again. Good fighter but think speed is an issue now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah funny enough that was the only time he seemed to be joking

When he seemed to be joking is just speculation. The words are there

When he seemed to be joking is just speculation. The words are there

Think you’re reading into this a bit much lads. Not as though he’s about to campaign for SHW División. A little bit to keep everyone thinking, including Ruiz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Think you’re reading into this a bit much lads. Not as though he’s about to campaign for SHW División. A little bit to keep everyone thinking, including Ruiz

You're right. Just thought it was a strange comment coming from someone I'd consider to be a superheavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,028 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly why I was asking how true or serious he was..

It’s an absurdity if AJ was genuinely sincere!

• Advertisement

On the contrary. I read nothing in it. I was just saying I don't think there was anything in the comment about Ruiz being a super heavy.

As regards Ruiz's weight, he said himself he was the same as the last fight in the morning but the weigh in being later meant he'd eaten more ahead of it that day so there's probably little difference in his actual weight

I can’t get over how calmly they talk considering the size of the occasion. Not just these lads like. Especially hw guys when one hit can end it

What I did think was interesting was Joshua answering a question on whether a loss means his career is over or not. I can only see Wilder or Fury say something along the lines of "I won't need to worry about that" or something that said they hadn't contemplated a defeat being a reality. I don't know if that actually shines a light on his confidence or not but I was surprised he answered the way he did.

AJ throughout his career has always been realistic regarding how he does, if he loses etc. Fury, too has said at time’s how easily you can lose at HW..

The whole “I can’t ever lose” is just the usual unrealistic hyped “confidence” talk..

walshb wrote: »
    AJ throughout his career has always been realistic regarding how he does, if he loses etc. Fury, too has said at time’s how easily you can lose at HW..

The whole “I can’t ever lose” is just the usual unrealistic hyped “confidence” talk..

Yeah that was the other side of the coin. He has eyes on other avenues after so he might answer objectively. That was what balanced it. Fury has said that at HW it's one punch could do you but I just don't see him doing it 2 days out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I admire the humbleness about the current HW's apart from Wilder who thinks he's untouchable which his PR are pushing no doubt. I remember Fury was asked a question how he'd do in a hypothetical fight with Mike Tyson, and he said he wouldn't last one round. Even it was in jest he wasn't afraid to poke humour at it. You rarely see this in the UFC for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Looking forward to the fight tonight. It really could go either way. Some turn around from the first fight where we all thought it was a formality.

I rewatched Klitschko vs Pulev during the week. I think that’s the most aggressive I’d seen Klitschko since before his defeats.

Was that the last time Klitschko was at the top level? He deffo looked to have lost his timing against Jennings, Fury and Joshua.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the fight tonight. It really could go either way. Some turn around from the first fight where we all thought it was a formality.

I rewatched Klitschko vs Pulev during the week. I think that’s the most aggressive I’d seen Klitschko since before his defeats.

Was that the last time Klitschko was at the top level? He deffo looked to have lost his timing against Jennings, Fury and Joshua.

No no no......Fury simply put on a masterclass!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I thought wlad was pretty poor against pulev but pulev was awful or at least made to look awful so it didn't matter.

The pulling and dragging in that fight was cronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

I don't think the fight will take priority over the games in town. I was going to go to the pub watch to avoid the 30 quid but have decided pay for it and watch it at home.
    It well worth imo. You won't be able to watch it in peace anyway with all the Xmas partys about , although a fight of this magnitude is always good to watch with a crowd.

I admire the humbleness about the current HW's apart from Wilder who thinks he's untouchable which his PR are pushing no doubt. I remember Fury was asked a question how he'd do in a hypothetical fight with Mike Tyson, and he said he wouldn't last one round. Even it was in jest he wasn't afraid to poke humour at it. You rarely see this in the UFC for example.

Ah be fair he said that in the immediate aftermath of wilder saying he’d beat Tyson. But yea the brashness of ufc boys turns me

Ah be fair he said that in the immediate aftermath of wilder saying he’d beat Tyson. But yea the brashness of ufc boys turns me

I'm not a UFC fanboy by any stretch but I don't really see how its whole lot worse than boxing or that boxers are a lot more respectful.

Yeah, there are plenty of examples of UFC fighters being arseholes but the same goes for boxing.

Sure, the likes of McGregor and Covington, for example, are guilty of scumbaggery but plenty of that in boxing over the years as well.

But plenty more examples of respect and sportsmanship than scumbaggery in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can't fault AJ he done what he had to and won, Ruiz was a disgrace himself and his coach said the wait gain wasn't tactical but a disapline issue at that level that's a joke

I see AJ has 180 days to defend against UYSK no way Hearn goes for that, I bet the try side step this somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

pulev would fit the role of next opponent better than anyone from hearns point of view i imagine...good record on paper...he's one of the mandatorys....risk vs reward factor without it being an unworthy opponent in publics eyes.
    usyk is a dilemma for them...how long can they hold him back and what can they do with him in meantime ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Can't fault AJ he done what he had to and won, Ruiz was a disgrace himself and his coach said the wait gain wasn't tactical but a disapline issue at that level that's a joke

I see AJ has 180 days to defend against UYSK no way Hearn goes for that, I bet the try side step this somehow

No excuse for coming in at that weight if it's not planned, absolute joker.

I imagine AJ will just vacate the wbo belt rather than fight Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ah lads how good is Usyk? From what I've seen Joshua would murder him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I have no idea on this view that AJ would rather vacate than fight Usyk.

Am I missing something with Usyk? Is he the reincarnation of the 70s Foreman or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Fight was boring as hell with no atmosphere jab jab jab for 12 rounds, aJ was terrified of ruiz, aj gets beaten by wilder or fury with ease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

AJ did exactly what he had to do. Fought safety first all night.

Be interesting to see how he fights from now on.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Fight was boring as hell with no atmosphere jab jab jab for 12 rounds, aJ was terrified of ruiz, aj gets beaten by wilder or fury with ease

Compared to the first fight it was boring as hell, but AJ adapted his tactics to his opponent. He wasn't risking coming within Ruiz orbit to get sucker punched. Basically, he learned his lesson from the first bout.

I have no idea on this view that AJ would rather vacate than fight Usyk.

Am I missing something with Usyk? Is he the reincarnation of the 70s Foreman or something?

Was foreman all that good?

Was foreman all that good?

In the 1970s he was a wrecking ball..Seen as a killer before Ali tamed him.

It was more my “analogy:comparison.”

Usyk is a lot more Jimmy Young than George Foreman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Dull fight. AJ learned not to brawl with a brawler and jabbed the night away against a guy a foot shorter than him. And of course the British HW hype train is going on as if it was the fight of the century.:pac:

If he ever does fight Fury does his camp think he's going to out jab him?

Still not convinced by AJ. Still waiting.

• Advertisement

If he ever does fight Fury does his camp think he's going to out jab him?

He won’t be fighting Fury in any way similar to how he boxed last night..

He will go for the KO, and if he can find Fury’s chin he will get it.

Advertisement