Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd imaginethe split is due to

I'd imagine the split is due to concerns from Tyson's family that Ben wasn't good enough, Tyson needs to go into the rematch with everyone pulling the same direction i reckon it just makes it easier on everyone for them to split,
    I see they are confined there been no falling out between them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Wasnt his dad saying tyson was drinking before the last fight? Maybe him and ben were too chummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I see Joshua offered fury sparring for the wilder fight. Not sure it would be so much benefit to fury but I’d love to be a fly on the wall there all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,028 ✭✭✭✭walshb

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I see Joshua offered fury sparring for the wilder fight. Not sure it would be so much benefit to fury but I’d love to be a fly on the wall there all the same

Be too risky for Fury, as he'd likely get knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

walshb wrote: »

He has never been knocked out and Joshua won’t be the one to knock him out , wilder maybe .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hasn't been knocked out in his career to date, despite fighting Wladamir Klitschko and Deontay Wilder, but a few rounds sparring ( which would probably be far less intense than a fight) against Anthona Joshua and he would 'likely' be knocked out !

Not just that he could, but 'likely' !
    Seems Joshua must be holding something back he didn't show us in the Ruiz fights.........or ever.

Well, he'll be proper knocked out on Feb 22....

Wondering what the excuse will be....

Beer, coke, bipolar?

Beer, coke, bipolar?

Ho ho ho!!!

You rarely see elite hws spar each other possibly to avoid giving anything away or getting hurt. Fury’s best chance to beat Joshua would be on a one off night. That sparing would benefit Joshua more than fury. Not good preparation for wilder anyway.

I hope the best version of fury fights wilder. Could still be knocked out but I think any hw gets knocked out from a wilder haymaker

• Advertisement

Beer, coke, bipolar?

17/10 on Paddy Power, throw a few grand on it and you'll be laughing.

I see Fury has accepted AJ’s offer of sparring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I see Fury has accepted AJ’s offer of sparring.

Where did you see this?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Where did you see this?
    thanks

He posted a video accepting and also complimenting AJ

Fury will be gearing himself up for another mental battle in the sauna !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Expect Joshua to make such friends during sparring with fury he will declare that they are friends for life and could never fight.

It would never happen but if it did AJ would actually gain the most for the sparring,
    I say that because Tyson is so awkward and different to your average heavy weight I feel most would have a better chance of beating him second time around,

So if AJ ever does fight him having sparred him would help ,

I feel Wilder is even more dangerous this time after having face Fury once,
    Unfortunately I see Fury out boxing Wilder but being caught around round 8 and being knocked out,

But i'll be up for Fury as i'd love to see him win and go after AJ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah would love to see a Fury win but you'd have to expect that at some stage Wilder will connect and this time it will be lights out. That man just has dynamite fists.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Beer, coke, bipolar?

You must wonder a lot given he has never lost and thus never had to give a reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Beer, coke, bipolar?

if he isn't, how will you play it? Wilder wasn't that good, perhaps. the one certanity is you won't give unqualified praise to Fury should he win;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is he calling his bluff? What I mean by that is Joshua's offer really a genuine one?

if he isn't, how will you play it? Wilder wasn't that good, perhaps. the one certanity is you won't give unqualified praise to Fury should he win;)

Wilder isn’t that good. We all know this....

But he has power...

Btw, my advice to Fury would be to go and try KO Wilder....

Not reckless, just measured, and with some real commitment...

He could play the cautious and safe and careful way, and pray for points....but, for me that is too risky...

Give it a real go, and he may just have enough power to hurt Wilder...

It’s simple: the longer Wilder is still there standing, the more time he is given to obliterate you!

Wilder isn’t that good. We all know this....

But he has power...

Btw, my advice to Fury would be to go and try KO Wilder....

Not reckless, just measured, and with some real commitment...

He could play the cautious and safe and careful way, and pray for points....but, for me that is too risky...

Give it a real go, and he may just have enough power to hurt Wilder...

It’s simple: the longer Wilder is still there standing, the more time he is given to obliterate you!

I agree to an extent. Ortiz schooled wilder for four rounds and then got confident and committed more, leaving himself more open. He switched off for a second allowing the jab in but didn’t realise what was coming along with it.

Fury needs to make sure he’s not hit clean. I think he can go for a later ko but commuting early is suicide for him with wilder

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I agree to an extent. Ortiz schooled wilder for four rounds and then got confident and committed more, leaving himself more open. He switched off for a second allowing the jab in but didn’t realise what was coming along with it.

Fury needs to make sure he’s not hit clean. I think he can go for a later ko but commuting early is suicide for him with wilder

Early, middle, or late. A punch or two is a punch or two.....

If Wilder can be hurt, then he can ne hurt.....doesn't matter if its early, mid or late...

The key is that whenever it is, that Fury is methodical, measured and committed.

Who's to say that Fury will have the stamina and energy and power in the mid to later rds? It's all ifs and buts...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury's best bet is to try outbox Wilder and win either on points or through a late stoppage. If he goes in looking for an early KO and turns it into a slugging match he will almost certainly lose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I was watching sky sports yesterday when they had Joshua in studio doing a run through of his potential opponents and his offer of sparring did seem genuine although I doubt it would happen. But if it did and I were Fury, I'd sabotage that spar just enough to get Joshua thinking he has his number should they fight. The fight might then get made but judging by his comments yesterday it seems to me that Pulev then Usyk could be the next two.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

Fury's best bet is to try outbox Wilder and win either on points or through a late stoppage. If he goes in looking for an early KO and turns it into a slugging match he will almost certainly lose.

He doesn't have to get into a slugging match to score a KO at any stage of the fight.....

But, you bring up something....a good solid "working over offense," to maybe force a cumulative/referee stoppage...

It will have to be a whole lot more effective and heavier than what he laid on Wilder last year, though. Needs to actually hit him clean and hard....

Right from bell 1 he needs to be landing shots that are clean and hard and kind of stunning.

Similar to the Ali shots that he landed with regularity on Foreman in 1973.

• Advertisement

He doesn't have to get into a slugging match to score a KO at any stage of the fight.....

But, you bring up something....a good solid "working over offense," to maybe force a cumulative/referee stoppage...

It will have to be a whole lot more effective and heavier than what he laid on Wilder last year, though. Needs to actually hit him clean and hard....

Right from bell 1 he needs to be landing shots that are clean and hard and kind of stunning.

Similar to the Ali shots that he landed with regularity on Foreman in 1973.

That’s the kind of strategy I’m advocating. Those type of smacks that will stop wilder in his tracks and anger him. Then he will be open to the counter. While fury has good agile footwork and head movement he doesn’t throw anything like Ali. He’s cumbersome and doesn’t get much behind shots usually. I believe he needs to come up with something to fluster wilder. Wilder will be better and likely more aggressive. Fury will need to be excellent

Advertisement