Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Newport Co.Mayo gusting an impressive 69 knots (128 km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Certainly after 8pm this eve the wind really lifted in intensity in this part of central Mayo. Has been very gusty in the last half hour in particular and there are certainly some strong rattling gusts when those showers come along. Fairly lively out there now. No surprises. The likes of M.T and Meteorite had it well called for here today and tonight. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

picking up in cork city big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Actually it is the reverse. You come to dread the storms even more after being in a bad one.

My own reaction stems from the big tsunami as we lost loved ones in that terrible terrible event.

In our youth too we just accepted what came. picked up the pieces and carried on, as I tend to now physically. But nothing stops the physical terror.

What big tsunami? The one in Thailand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Rough now in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Just been outside again and its significantly more powerful now then when we were in the red warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

picking up in cork city big time

Looks like we are set for another 5 hours, at least of the worst of Storm Atiyah, according to the latest weather maps. Conditions here is Ennis, like the rest of the country is deteriorating also. If anyone is going to work at the wee early hours, please do take exceptional care. The worst is yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Wind howling down chimney. Can hear roar of wind outside. Fire on, candles lit. Love it.
    North Cork.

Electricity gone here in North Cork. Lovely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Getting blustery again in Galway. Seems to be warming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭thomil

Rough now in Cork

Ballincollig, just outside the city, can confirm this. The North facing windows in my place just got battered by the strongest gusts so far, and they keep coming.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

lol! I avoid facebook etc... And yes we cope better with it all. Just catching up after a few hours of much needed sleep. My "demountable dwelling" home is straining at its moorings. But westnet. the local server, deserves an award. As they will be told in the near future. lol...

Fierce out here. Just fierce. Rattles and bangs. No one will venture out and the boats will be well moored. We get very self contained and sensible in these events. Always the awareness that if I do something stupid, I am putting others lives at risk and that a medical emergency or accident is very serious as in this weather even the emergency helicopter is out of the running.

They know me here by now and that I am as they put it once to a visitor, " Not soft but strong"

So riding out the storm as thousands of others are doing.

Two of the cats insisted on going out but the door is dangerous now. They have the sheds out there. Another is hyper so is shut in the kitchen!

Another sideways deluge.

Stay safe out there as I am in here..

I love your updates. Keep safe tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pressure rising rapidly at Belmullet up to 996hpa @10pm from 992hpa at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Maybe we just need a thread where the few "I see no storm" posters can post about that. It has no real use in these threads and I suspect it might drive away some readers who get trolled after they post their actual observations. Anyway, at least one person has disregarded a mod warning which I think should lead to a ban in the weather forum at least, what they do elsewhere on boards is of little concern I suppose.

By the way, I don't mind "no storm here" posts as such, just when they inflate to become "therefore no storm anywhere" which makes no sense.

(no storm here by the way, granted I am 8,000 kms away).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭4Ad

Wind def getting stronger here in East Clare..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Wind and rain picking up now in Dublin 15. Was quite calm till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

The last 2 hours have seen the wind ramping up considerably here with the rain hitting the west window horizontally and very noisily. My weather station isn’t recording the wind...... useless bit of tat.... but this is one of the strongest wind events this year.
    S Sligo 150m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe we just need a thread where the few "I see no storm" posters can post about that. It has no real use in these threads and I suspect it might drive away some readers who get trolled after they post their actual observations. Anyway, at least one person has disregarded a mod warning which I think should lead to a ban in the weather forum at least, what they do elsewhere on boards is of little concern I suppose.

By the way, I don't mind "no storm here" posts as such, just when they inflate to become "therefore no storm anywhere" which makes no sense.

(no storm here by the way, granted I am 8,000 kms away).

The " ignore" button is very therapeutic ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest satellite atmospheric motion vectors picking up 70 knots within the 800-900 hPa level, just behind that max core getting into the west.

497175.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The place is shaking! Methinks toast and marmalade are called for.. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Winds starting to spread inland in the W.

rafales_uk_rgb4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Good luck to those in Donegal tonight!

So do you think I should put a brick on top of the recycling bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gust of 124 km/hr in Castlebar and 128 km/hr in Furnace in the last half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You've feckin got me wanting this now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

NIMAN wrote: »
    So do you think I should put a brick on top of the recycling bin?

nah itll be grand just getting a bit breezy now

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

ESB Powercheck is always a good indication of storm damage https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Radar and wind obs indicate the centre of the low moved inland around Malin Head and is moving s.s.e. through Ulster to a position around 50 km west of Belfast. Aldergrove only had 19 km/hr winds at 22z (which is why it's not on the recently posted map of wind gusts). The gradient stays strong to about 0300h then relaxes steadily so I think the gusts will not keep up all night, just to about 0200-0300h. Things should be considerably improved by daybreak.

Dublin winds will likely peak at midnight to 0100h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

This is the most Irish thread...jesus.

*All quiet here in Carlow!*
    *Bit windy now in castlebar lads*
    *Roof just tore off the house*

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Fair rough here the last hours east galway Craughwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wild ferocious wind howling outside. Windows being sucked in and out.

The thing is. It's getting worse.

Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

Are they your cats ; )

Advertisement