Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It seems that most of us are getting benign weather so far tonight but there is a high risk of dangerous weather going around and it may not have been picked up by stations. I wouldn’t like to be driving in my car and a tree falling on top of me in a sudden gust.

100% agree with you. According to Carlow Weather twitter account, we are expecting another batch of storm force gusts from the Northwest, which will spread over the rest of the country later tonight. We are not out of the woods yet by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Red warning in Kerry and the news reporter reports a shed blown across the road 🙈🙈not sure how Kerry will ever recover

Is George in Kerry? Maybe he got blown away :P

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Wind howling down chimney. Can hear roar of wind outside. Fire on, candles lit. Love it.
    North Cork.

Strong slate rattling gusts in Westport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Red warning in Kerry and the news reporter reports a shed blown across the road 🙈🙈not sure how Kerry will ever recover

Pictures and reports on the Kerry shed that got blown over all all over Twitter. And most major media outlets organizations probably have reporters en route. It will of course be used to justify all the hysteria. If someone had been standing beside that shed as it toppled over they could have been killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Power just gone here in south Co Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Kerry County Council have reported that crews are on their way to the site of the toppled she'd which is near Murruich. They also have pictures of the shed on their official Twitter account if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

I live in a third floor apartment on a hill near the sea in South Dublin and the wind we have had all day and overnight has been strong with storm force gusts. The yellow was definitely warranted.

Cue someone coming along to say its just a bit breezy in Dublin...

Totally agree. Tree down near me with ESB onsite for several hours restoring power. Monkstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Picking up in Cork City. Pray that everybody stays safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Non event in East Galway again

I’m in east Galway and it’s not a non event.
    Wind and rain lashing all day.
    No electricity for 2 hours earlier.
    You are probably further east than me and we are taking the sting out of it for ye.
    #youarewelcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Kerry County Council have reported that crews are on their way to the site of the toppled she'd which is near Murruich. They also have pictures of the shed on their official Twitter account if anyone is interested.
    That's a fair-sized shed to be blown over, in fairness!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

The ones here complaining it’s not windy enough will probably say it’s a fake shed.
    Hard to please some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The ones here complaining it’s not windy enough will probably say it’s a fake shed.
    Hard to please some people.

It’s shedful. I’ll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭SophieLockhart

It is quite windy now in mid-Limerick to be fair so time to row back somewhat on my earlier sarcasm :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It's partially blocking a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Where?

Swinford at the moment. The gusts have got stronger in the last 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Dear mods.

For the next named storm can we get two threads one for technical discussion and the other for chat?

Would save a lot of 'my house is still standing so it's not a true red' 'it's not windy here so it mustn't be happening anywhere else' ' your not really alive unless your surfing in a red' ' that we have to wade through to get to Meteorite and MTs (and others) great updates?

Good luck to those in Donegal tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Pretty rough here on kenmare bay since 5pm, power went off for an hour or so, some fairly wild thunder and lightning earlier too. Winds are pretty wild with strong gusts, about 20 feet above sea level.

Power went off again for 2 seconds just now.

Wind is persistently strong with very strong gusts.

Plenty of trees down in kerry afaik.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Power went off again for 2 seconds just now.

Wind is persistently strong with very strong gusts.

Plenty of trees down in kerry afaik.

Any lad with a chainsaw and a trailer will clean up tomorrow.
    Do ye get it.clean up.
    Har har har

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Do ye get it.clean up.
    Har har har

They definitely wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Do ye get it.clean up.
    Har har har

No sorry, were you meaning to be witty?

I don't find storm damage particularly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have to say that in my experience the older folk have a much better grasp and interest in the weather and weather forecasts than any other demographic. Talk of old people being confused and befuddled by forecasts and warnings is utter nonsense. Far more likely to find 20 somethings confused by conflicting Facebook 'reports'.
    Stay safe Graces7. Keep your phone charged.

lol! I avoid facebook etc... And yes we cope better with it all. Just catching up after a few hours of much needed sleep. My "demountable dwelling" home is straining at its moorings. But westnet. the local server, deserves an award. As they will be told in the near future. lol...

Fierce out here. Just fierce. Rattles and bangs. No one will venture out and the boats will be well moored. We get very self contained and sensible in these events. Always the awareness that if I do something stupid, I am putting others lives at risk and that a medical emergency or accident is very serious as in this weather even the emergency helicopter is out of the running.

They know me here by now and that I am as they put it once to a visitor, " Not soft but strong"

So riding out the storm as thousands of others are doing.

Two of the cats insisted on going out but the door is dangerous now. They have the sheds out there. Another is hyper so is shut in the kitchen!

Another sideways deluge.

Stay safe out there as I am in here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

We have the strongest winds of the day now in South Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I find this a useful site for putting things in context https://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good map by the Met Office covering the next few hours.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1203777204661956608?s=20

anim_hub9.gif

rafales_uk_ncj2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Much worse than earlier in Galway now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

Flights have resumed at Cork Airport even though there are delays and it will probably be well into tomorrow before schedules get back to normal.

A Ryanair flight returning to cork from one of the earlier diversions to Shannon couldn't land and went back to Luton and currently another empty plane returning from Dublin holding after just aborting a landing. Must still be a nasty cross wind

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Gone wild here again in mid cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Part of a roof ripped off here in mid cork. Fook it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be honest, I think a lot of this “storms were worse in my day” stuff is down to the change in information availability. When I was a kid in the 80s, storms would seem to arrive out of nowhere to rattle the house. There’s a lot to be said of the changes in perception that can be caused by being “in the dark” so to speak. Storms felt more ominous and sinister when you didn’t know they were coming, and I’d bet that heavily influences how they’re remembered by folks.

Added to that, I’d bet a lot of posters were much younger then, and would have heard the same playing it down attitude from their elders! Experience deadens the excitement or fear.

Actually it is the reverse. You come to dread the storms even more after being in a bad one.

My own reaction stems from the big tsunami as we lost loved ones in that terrible terrible event.

In our youth too we just accepted what came. picked up the pieces and carried on, as I tend to now physically. But nothing stops the physical terror.

Advertisement