Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

Tonight is very very wild (Helvick Head, Co. Waterford). No chance of sleep. Windows bulging in and out. If I can hear the wind, and the letterbox is flapping, it’s bad. But if I can hear the wind and the letterbox isn’t flapping, it means it’s very bad, because it’s a different direction. The gusts are FIERCE. Christ knows what’s going to be in/not be in the garden tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Was windier at 2pm today than anytime since in SE Tipp,and you would get the likes of that in a March shower but maybe it will get worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just saw a couple of lovely streaking meteorites when daring to put the bin out. Moonlight in Mayo but still blowing hard out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Very windy in Cork now wheelie bins blown over by us so there is recycling all over the place and fierce strong gusts.
    Letter box flapping the howling at the side of the house seems louder as we are a semi detached.
    Makes me nervous whenever we have storms Like this fence is already repaired from Last years storms so I dunno will it still be standing
    Tomorrow.
    The winds are worse than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Relatively a non event where I live near Limerick city. We do have gusty winds but it is not too noisy. We have fair weather conditions at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You've feckin got me wanting this now :p

lol... By the time I got to the kitchen and the bread in the toaster. the yen had commuted to ... sausages and..... beans!

Which I ate by candlelight as the power failed just as I was starting on them... Excellent storm fare though!

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Anyone heard any reports of funnel cloud activity ? The reason I ask is something went through the bottom of the garden 20 mins ago which was very loud and high pitched, it took 15 seconds to get through the garden and I could hear it as it went down the mountainside. It was most likely some kind of vortex as we are high up, and theres lots of rock around. Still as bad as its been, I think the mountains shielded this part of Kerry from the earlier effects, even down at the beach it was not too bad, but then this slight shift to NW seems to make a huge difference.

600 FT asl - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

That was..... the BANSHEE!! You have had a lucky escape... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Wild here just outside Gorey co Wexford. Big bang woke me bins rolling around the garden -the sound of the wind is mad ! Pretty scary too watching the trees in the garden, we have several big ones not looking forward to seeing the damage in morning

corsav6 wrote: »
    Wild as I've seen in a few years here outside Newport. Between 9pm and 10:30pm there was some sustained powerful gusts with little break between. Personal weather station maxed out at 130km, probably not 100% accurate but certainly well above 100km for it to max out.
    Seems to have eased off in the last 45 mins or so with just the odd strong gust.

Hope your safe and well Graces

ALl fine here. The power went as I was seeking food. Amazed it had not gone earlier. Whatever the problems we have in Ireland, ESB and An Post are stars .

Power came on an hour or two later but was and am drained so hunkered down; did not realise how long this " event" was going to last.

Sounds easier out there now. Thankfully. But bitterly cold.

All well with all here? Hope so...

km79 wrote: »
    We look to have been very lucky in South Mayo. We are in the only sector from west to east that has no outages in that map

They fixed ours out here in the far west of mayo in about an hour. Awesome service; there may have been several more that were cleared

Just reading breaking news.ie and eirgrid are ecstatic at the record breaking windpower generation last night!

an ill wind that bodes no good indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

We weren't supposed to see much anyway but absolutely nothing to report from east Limerick. Saturday night was much worse for both rain and wind. I love storms hope we can get a big one over the next few weeks with some sparks too. 2013/14 was my dream winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was..... the BANSHEE!! You have had a lucky escape... :eek:

:D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Graces7 wrote: »
    ALl fine here. The power went as I was seeking food. Amazed it had not gone earlier. Whatever the problems we have in Ireland, ESB and An Post are stars .

Power came on an hour or two later but was and am drained so hunkered down; did not realise how long this " event" was going to last.

Sounds easier out there now. Thankfully. But bitterly cold.

All well with all here? Hope so...

How are the cats?

How are the cats?

Fine! The new feral tends to hide in wild weather but has just been to the door for food, the best sign of all weather wise ;)

Oh ALL SO QUIET HERE! SHEER BLISS!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No real wind to speak of here in North Kildare at least. Gusts around 46 kts were the extent of it.

I think the highest gust recorded anywhere was 69 knots? It turned out pretty much as forecast, with no real surprises. It was a very complex system on paper, and the strongest winds occured offshore earlier in the day. A few hours either way and it could have been even stronger in the west and southwest.

There will be a jet streak of about 360 km/h forming off Canada this week so we'll see what comes out of that.

greencoat wrote: »
    A fair ole wind starting to blow here in nrth dublin,good job i tied santa and the clan down with ropes in the garden,great thread cheers for all the informative posts,much appreciated

:eek:Only just seen this YOU KIDNAPPED SANTA!! That poor old man! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Timfy

So, sitting at the head of Killary harbour on the Mayo / Galway border.

Atiyah bought no significant weather here, with gusts peaking at 56.2km/h at 11:15 on Sunday morning... 20km/h less than recorded on Saturday!

Rainfall over the 24 hour period amounted to 26.1mm

Now, I am a great supporter of Met Éireann and realise that every event is an event for someone, but so much of the area went into apocalypse mode as the storm went to category orange... how did the forecast go so astray?

The Connemara coastline was singled out as one of the main areas to be expecting high orange / possible red winds and mentioned in Met IE advisories. Councils closed down Christmas and sporting events that had been months in the planning. I followed the charts as they were released and saw projections of 130+km/h winds.

For large parts of the West coast, this did not warrant a yellow, let alone red advisory. Why did Met Éireann, and also myself, overestimate this so badly. The nine o'clock news showed a moderately damaged yucca plant in Sligo and a car that got stuck on a beach as part of a 20 minute report - not exactly the sharknado we were warned about.

Winds were tricky in Cork, with a couple of lighter planes being rerouted, I do however wonder if the flights that were cancelled due to red status could have actually made it in relatively easily?

I have always defended Met.IEs county by county system but yesterday showed me that much finer granularity is required and advisories and warnings should be updated / downgraded on a much more regular interval.

Sorry all, I've just read this back and it appears that I've turned into "that" guy

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Having read this three times it bears no resemblance to yesterday for many of us. The forecast did not " go astray". It was accurate and welcomed

What I have bolded explains your error .

As I have just seen the forecast for tonight, am off to catch up on some sleep after last night's din..

PS I know Killary very well and it is a blessedly sheltered spot and atypical . You are every very fortunate.

[
    UOTE=Timfy;111973275]So, sitting at the head of Killary harbour on the Mayo / Galway border.

Atiyah bought no significant weather here, with gusts peaking at 56.2km/h at 11:15 on Sunday morning... 20km/h less than recorded on Saturday!

Rainfall over the 24 hour period amounted to 26.1mm

Now, I am a great supporter of Met Éireann and realise that every event is an event for someone, but so much of the area went into apocalypse mode as the storm went to category orange... how did the forecast go so astray?

The Connemara coastline was singled out as one of the main areas to be expecting high orange / possible red winds and mentioned in Met IE advisories. Councils closed down Christmas and sporting events that had been months in the planning. I followed the charts as they were released and saw projections of 130+km/h winds.

For large parts of the West coast, this did not warrant a yellow, let alone red advisory. Why did Met Éireann, and also myself, overestimate this so badly. The nine o'clock news showed a moderately damaged yucca plant in Sligo and a car that got stuck on a beach as part of a 20 minute report - not exactly the sharknado we were warned about.

Winds were tricky in Cork, with a couple of lighter planes being rerouted, I do however wonder if the flights that were cancelled due to red status could have actually made it in relatively easily?

I have always defended Met.IEs county by county system but yesterday showed me that much finer granularity is required and advisories and warnings should be updated / downgraded on a much more regular interval.

Sorry all, I've just read this back and it appears that I've turned into "that" guy[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was woken twice during the night in cork city with strong gusts hitting the house, then they just suddenly seemed to stop. Interesting system

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

A few decent gusts before going to bed in Kildare last night but nothing really woke me after that. So just a really windy night here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

And the silly posts begin.

Anyway. We lost electric from about 11pm last night. Trees down locally. That was some storm last night. Passed through very quickly, thankfully.
    Leitrim.

Hiya Graces,

By here I meant Connemara, specifically North Connemara, not here as in Ireland.

This area was called out in one particular advisory as to expect "severe and damaging gusts" with "severe gale to storm force winds"

This didn't happen, not just in Leenane (we are either flat calm or blown sideways depending on whether the Maumturks to the south and east and Mweelrea to the northwest are acting as funnel or barrier!) but over the much larger area.

As stated, any event is going to be an event for someone, but the warning system needs to be much more granular than it is at present. You yourself were nearly blown away and yet 5 miles inland in Mayo there was barely a stiff breeze! All covered by the same Orange alert.

I am no artist but something like this would surely make more sense...

aa.jpg

PS after any stormy night on an island, I know you've earned your sleep!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Electric just back on in east Galway.2 hours gone.
    Many thanks to the good people out working in this weather to get it back going.
    If ye are reading this many thanks,it’s much appreciated

+1.

Just watching the news last night, and they were showing the esb crews out at work. I don't care what anyone says, that takes courage, along with skill and experience, of course. So fair dues to them.

I wasn't in any of the places worst hit by the storm, and am very thankful for that. Huge thanks to all the weather experts on here who share their knowledge, expertise and information. I always have a read here when a weather event is forecast.

Hope everyone is okay today, it was a rough one for many parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Timfy wrote: »
    Hiya Graces,

By here I meant Connemara, specifically North Connemara, not here as in Ireland.

This area was called out in one particular advisory as to expect "severe and damaging gusts" with "severe gale to storm force winds"

This didn't happen, not just in Leenane (we are either flat calm or blown sideways depending on whether the Maumturks to the south and east and Mweelrea to the northwest are acting as funnel or barrier!) but over the much larger area.

As stated, any event is going to be an event for someone, but the warning system needs to be much more granular than it is at present. You yourself were nearly blown away and yet 5 miles inland in Mayo there was barely a stiff breeze! All covered by the same Orange alert.

I am no artist but something like this would surely make more sense...

aa.jpg

PS after any stormy night on an island, I know you've earned your sleep!

While I agree with the sentiment, where do you draw the distinction in the warnings on that map ? By townland ? What if the winds don't die down as quickly as expected and a Orange gusts happen a few miles outside the yellow zone ?

I will say there was absolutely no need for yellow warnings in many places but no events should be cancelled due to yellow warnings. Again the that's more to do with claim culture than the colour of the weather warnings. I have seen market stalls fall over in June in breezes, so maybe yellow warning means cancel for many events due to claims. If it happens in June it's the stall holders fault in a warning the case could be made its the events fault.

We had a 35 hour yellow warning here in Cavan and if I'm honest a few gusts but nothing major.

I would rather be safe than sorry though.

People would also need to use common sense. I remember the Snow last year, we where in a yellow warning area but I'm in East Cavan, Meath was Red we prepared for red and went Red but after red warning criteria was hit, while West Cavan didn't have much at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

This happens after every single warning. Isn't there a dedicated thread on warnings? Any posts outside of that thread should be punished. 99% of us dont want to read this drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

piplip87 wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiment, where do you draw the distinction in the warnings on that map ? By townland ? What if the winds don't die down as quickly as expected and a Orange gusts happen a few miles outside the yellow zone ?
    Eircode? The first bit is by area, the second bit is the house. "Red warning in Kerry, for eircodes starting...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Has sryanbruen posted his comparison table yet? That table always shows the relative strength of the storm.

It seemed a blustery night in west Galway. We have a lot of ash around us and ash tends to have a lot of weak branches. As such I tend to judge a storm by the number of branches down. There were some down branches down this morning, more than Lorenzo to be sure, but we have seen much worse in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So its passed and make of it what you will, however some of the posts here were plain silly, we had letter boxes rattling, windows rattling doors rattling, wheelie bins going walkies, fences and trampolines moving all this can be put down to the wind direction that came with this storm as its usually from the South or South West, we had posters in Limerick and Cork saying it was nothing of note while others saying it should be a red warning lets hope this is not going to be the way people post storm updates in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

Timfy wrote: »

To turn your argument around, in your proposed system let's say your particular area was specifically excluded, you might have thought "Ah sure it's a grand night here so I'll venture out" and then you head 5 miles away and suddenly you're in a completely different scenario.

Is it not better to say your area is in the same level alert area in the hope you'll stay put rather than risk heading out and - as you say - head only 5 miles away and you're suddenly in danger? It's only 5 miles after all?

You just can't be that granular - my own village is a perfect example.

In our estate during Storm Ophelia it was just a fairly lively wind on our side and I could have come on here complaining about it being a red alert being wrong but the other side that fronted the bog had entire gable ends of flashing and tiles peeled clean off. Same estate in the same village. How do you differentiate that?

• Advertisement

In the spirit of don't criticize something if you don't have a solution I would suggest that it is a simple geographical distinction for areas at 80% risk of the alert specified. So an area with an 80% chance of "red" conditions would be red, using the 80% rule this would then fade out through orange and then into yellow as you move away from the epicentres. At the moment an alert is either on or off county wide.

There will obviously still be occurences of one side of a village being worse affected than the other, but this should remove county wide alerts that only really concern the coastal areas.

Just playing devils advocate really

PS Here ya go US2 and JCX BXC
    bb.PNG

Advertisement