Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be honest, I think a lot of this “storms were worse in my day” stuff is down to the change in information availability. When I was a kid in the 80s, storms would seem to arrive out of nowhere to rattle the house. There’s a lot to be said of the changes in perception that can be caused by being “in the dark” so to speak. Storms felt more ominous and sinister when you didn’t know they were coming, and I’d bet that heavily influences how they’re remembered by folks.

Added to that, I’d bet a lot of posters were much younger then, and would have heard the same playing it down attitude from their elders! Experience deadens the excitement or fear.

Agree totally! We are warned and stocked and staying home and to some people, it doesn't seem so bad. I imagine it would look very different if we were trying to negotiate fallen trees, debris and power lines trying to get home if we didn't know it was coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

pauldry wrote: »
    50 knots in Sligo now. Windows sound like theyr going to break

Hardly break with that wind it's only 57mph pretty normal gale to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

8pm

Newport gusting 59 knots
    Mace head gusting 55 knots
    Belmullet gusting 53 knots

113km gust on my weather station, but I'm 4 miles from the coast and 50m asl Castlebar side of Newport.
    Wind coming from NW really mutes the intensity, we're exposed from the SW where most storms hit from and they really shake the house. I'd be happier if this keeps it's direction so I might get some sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Power now out in Moycullen, Co. Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Starting to get windy here in Galway City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

dermiek wrote: »
    Starting to get windy here in Galway City.

We are in for round 2 yet I’d say.warnings in place until 7am.
    Good job it was Sunday and the majority would be a day off and could stay home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A joke again. It's 2 weeks to Christmas town should of been heaving today but no, mass hysteria been spread about a bit of wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

rob316 wrote: »
    A joke again. It's 2 weeks to Christmas town should of been heaving today but no, mass hysteria been spread about a bit of wind and rain.

Can this type of ****e be against forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Apocalyptic deluge just hurled itself onto our front room window with wind screaming down chimney
    Getting frightening now tbh.
    In the 80s this would just be a wet and windy day!!
    I think the warnings were definitely necessary for Cork,it's been very bad for the last hour or more,according to FB,lots of events were cancelled/postponed, it's all about safety imo and I'd doubt there's much traffic around here atm,its really bad out there.
    aidanodr wrote: »
    SO it might be timely in general for people to charge up there devices if well down ..[/B]
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hardly break with that wind it's only 57mph pretty normal gale to be honest

It seems in general that people are more anxious and frightened these days. By life in general. It used to be that a bit of wind and rain were normal everyday events. Now they are a reason for people to be scared. I can't recall the number of events that I have seen cancelled over the last year because of weather warnings. We have turned into oversensitive snowflakes.

So yeah. It's windy and it's raining.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What mass hysteria? There was a red warning issued for 1 county, taking effect from 4pm. No one was advised to stay indoors prior of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Can this type of ****e be against forum rules.

The "Should of Been" deserves a paddlin alone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

People had all morning and early afternoon to shop.

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    It seems in general that people are more anxious and frightened these days. By life in general. It used to be that a bit of wind and rain were normal everyday events. Now they are a reason for people to be scared. I can't recall the number of events that I have seen cancelled over the last year because of weather warnings. We have turned into oversensitive snowflakes.

Seriously, I'm far from the the nervous type and certainly not a snowflake, and tbh I've no problem getting a ban for this..go fcuk yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

People travel much more now than before. When I was growing up and it was wet and windy we usually would stay indoors so not that much has changed. There wasn’t that many events to go to anyway unlike now.

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be honest, I think a lot of this “storms were worse in my day” stuff is down to the change in information availability. When I was a kid in the 80s, storms would seem to arrive out of nowhere to rattle the house. There’s a lot to be said of the changes in perception that can be caused by being “in the dark” so to speak. Storms felt more ominous and sinister when you didn’t know they were coming, and I’d bet that heavily influences how they’re remembered by folks.

Added to that, I’d bet a lot of posters were much younger then, and would have heard the same playing it down attitude from their elders! Experience deadens the excitement or fear

Great post. I really miss that feeling and you describe it very well. The element of surprise. Some auld fella saying the animals are predicting a storm. Wondering what's going to happen in the next hour. Seeing the snow outside in the morning. Too much information brings false expectations. Childish isn't it? But human nature is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭savj2

Another whinger

They closed the Christmas market and park in cork. I still can't see why, it was windy for about 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

What mass hysteria? There was a red warning issued for 1 county, taking effect from 4pm. No one was advised to stay indoors prior of that.

One person at work was making a big issue about a red warning being issued for Kerry.. we work in cork city.

She was really getting overly worried about it.
    She had fears that red means ophilia type destruction.

I've work early in the morn, I'm not expecting any disruption on my morning commute along a national primary route.

Currently enjoying a whiskey, an open fire and streaming a TV show, the wind howling outside.

Social media it's all over all weekend

They closed the Christmas market and park in cork. I still can't see why, it was windy for about 30 mins.

The whole city shut down today. Everything was cancelled. But this is now becoming a regular occurrence. Same thing for Lorenzo.
    This culture of fear that has been engendered is not healthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

and thats met eireanns fault how? Blame the likes of dublinlive and send your complaints there. They overdo everything for clickbait. Don't vent it here where people are just reporting the conditions for god sake. Sick of stuff like this every single thread.

Can't see any danger from market stalls in high winds. 30 minutes of awnings and frames and various items of sale flying around a crowded market couldn't hurt anyone, could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can someone tell me where the got the name it sounds like something Maori or from the South Pacific

That's not Met Eireann's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Glow doesn't open until 4pm, i had planned to go today & do the big wheel but not a chance it would have been safe in the winds. It was fairly wild here in mid cork.

Can't see any danger from market stalls in high winds. 30 minutes of awnings and frames and various items of sale flying around a crowded market couldn't hurt anyone, could they?

If you become too fearful of life and the weather what might happen you end up living half a life.

The whole city shut down today. Everything was cancelled. But this is now becoming a regular occurrence. Same thing for Lorenzo.
    This culture of fear that has been engendered is not healthy

Ophelia the warnings were warranted but the worst part of that is ever since then it doesn't matter what colour the warning is every media outlet spreads it like wildfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

our new found claims culture is to blame . if an event was on and someone was injured during a storm. a claim would be lodged saying the event should not have been on during a weather warning.

irishgeo wrote: »
    our new found claims culture is to blame . if an event was on and someone was injured during a storm. a claim would be lodged saying the event should not have been on during a weather warning.

That unfortunately is very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

and thats met eireanns fault how? Blame the likes of dublinlive and send your complaints there. They overdo everything for clickbait. Don't vent it here where people are just reporting the conditions for god sake. Sick of stuff like this every single thread.

Not only Dublin Live responsible for the scaremongering bile

Advertisement