Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Can't see any danger from market stalls in high winds. 30 minutes of awnings and frames and various items of sale flying around a crowded market couldn't hurt anyone, could they?

You could end up going to VAR for a yellow card for that ;)

Wild in Cork. The fastnet showing savage readings. Tough night for anyone off the south or west coast tonight but most seem to have sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Not only Dublin Live responsible for the scaremongering bile

No it's not but themselves and CorkBeo blatantly overdo it

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

It seems from the infared satellite picture I’m looking at, the eye has made landfall somewhere on the Donegal coast? Just wondering how are conditions in Sligo, North Mayo since. Blustery, squally and quite wild here in Galway. Wouldn’t like to be travelling in these conditions.

Carol25 wrote: »
    It seems from the infared satellite picture I’m looking at, the eye has made landfall somewhere on the Donegal coast? Just wondering how are conditions in Sligo, North Mayo since. Blustery, squally and quite wild here in Galway. Wouldn’t like to be travelling in these conditions.

Sligo was just live on RTE and looked fairly rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

The naming of winters storms was a collaboration between Met Eireann ,the UK Met Service and the Dutch Met service was also involved,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The cynic in me says they stationed Eileen beside those trees to maximise the windiness effect!

Meanwhile, they cut to Plastic Sheeting saying "it's awfully rough" in Cork, with the water lapping peacefully behind him :D

Up here in NW Donegal, either the wind direction has changed, or it's ramped up, or both - the wind in the chimney is now seriously competing with the telly, and the telly is starting to lose the battle... where I am is sheltered under a hill, so I can't actually feel the effects - but by golly I can hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

Carol25 wrote: »

Wind has worsened considerably here in sligo last 40 minutes. Heavy showers too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It has fairly rampped up again here in Co Limerick, it became quite calm between 6.30 and 8.30 but it's certainly blowing a gale out there again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Non event in East Galway again

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

and thats met eireanns fault how? Blame the likes of dublinlive and send your complaints there. They overdo everything for clickbait. Don't vent it here where people are just reporting the conditions for god sake. Sick of stuff like this every single thread.

But perception of the weather can be very subjective. And often people take their cues from others. I was out and about all day in Cork today. I thought it was a bit windy with some showers. However others who have experienced the exact same weather conditions here have reported them as apocalyptic deluges and howling destructive gales..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Pretty gusty in Sligo alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Pretty rough here on kenmare bay since 5pm, power went off for an hour or so, some fairly wild thunder and lightning earlier too. Winds are pretty wild with strong gusts, about 20 feet above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    But perception of the weather can be very subjective. And often people take their cues from others. I was out and about all day in Cork today. I thought it was a bit windy with some showers. However others who have experienced the exact same weather conditions here have reported them as apocalyptic deluges and howling destructive gales..
    Cork is a very large county...... is it possible that you were experiencing different conditions to others elsewhere in the county, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Lots of reports of trees down in Kerry now.
    I hope this one below is just a minor problem.
    https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1203741263847133185

That is why warnings are issued but as before it seems some choose to ignore. Better to be safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Not only Dublin Live responsible for the scaremongering bile

hence the 'blame the likes of', aka other similar outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭endainoz

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Non event in East Galway again

And there it is......

still fairly gusty here in cork city, but dying down alright.

Edit: Just had a strong gust hit the house, still here.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The cynic in me says they stationed Eileen beside those trees to maximise the windiness effect!

Meanwhile, they cut to Plastic Sheeting saying "it's awfully rough" in Cork, with the water lapping peacefully behind him :D

Up here in NW Donegal, either the wind direction has changed, or it's ramped up, or both - the wind in the chimney is now seriously competing with the telly, and the telly is starting to lose the battle... where I am is sheltered under a hill, so I can't actually feel the effects - but by golly I can hear them.

I live in a third floor apartment on a hill near the sea in South Dublin and the wind we have had all day and overnight has been strong with storm force gusts. The yellow was definitely warranted.

Cue someone coming along to say its just a bit breezy in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Newport Mayo gusting 63 knots (117km/h)
    Mace head gusting 60 knots
    Belmullet gusting 54 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Yes it has been slowly building over the last hour and i am fairly sure that the worst has yet to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

63 knot gust in Newport Mayo in last hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Latest observations from Met Eireann as of 9 o'clock re Storm Atiyah

Newport Mayo highest gust 117 km/hr 63 knots
    Mace Head Galway 111 km/hr 60 knots
    Belmullet Mayo 100 km/hr 54 knots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

9pm

Newport Mayo gusting 63 knots (117km/h)
    Mace head gusting 60 knots
    Belmullet gusting 54 knots

Did anywhere in Galway/Mayo hit 120kpm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Flights have resumed at Cork Airport even though there are delays and it will probably be well into tomorrow before schedules get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Yes the wind has started to change direction down here in sligo as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seems that most of us are getting benign weather so far tonight but there is a high risk of dangerous weather going around and it may not have been picked up by stations. I wouldn’t like to be driving in my car and a tree falling on top of me in a sudden gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A breezy night, but nothing out of the ordinary so far- could liven up from now on till around midnight.

A breezy night, but nothing out of the ordinary so far- could liven up from now on till around midnight.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Red warning in Kerry and the news reporter reports a shed blown across the road 🙈🙈not sure how Kerry will ever recover

• Advertisement

gusts building again in cork city right after i posted about it dying down. Hitting the back of the house so a southerly direction. Coming down the chimney and hitting the walls

Advertisement