Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

eviltwin wrote: »
    I work for a homeless charity. Not this one but a similar one. Am I expected to work for free? I work hard, I get abuse from service users, I've been physically attacked, I work at night, weekends and over Christmas. If people don't get paid who would bother doing it.

Props for the work you do.

It's a similar deal in charity fundraising. All the annoying chuggers that ask for debit donations are also paid. People get incredibly upset over it and the workers get all sorts of abuse because of it (they're just doing their pretty crap job). Do people expect that charities that all have to fight against each other for funding send people on the street for 40 hours a week for free?
    When you do charity work you can't win, some will think you do great work, others will look down on you because they believe charities are parasitic and mainly mismanage money. There's no awareness that running a charity is incredibly expensive but pretty damn necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Then let the government provide the same service at a much higher cost. Great forward thinking there tbh.

If all funding was stopped to homeless charities and it was run by the government would it not cut down on cost as there seems to be so many over lapping charities?
    One government department or a scheme within say Social welfare not be more cost effective?
    Over 2000 working in these homeless charities yet the figures for homeless people is 11k .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

So the social welfare give people enough to survive. One of the most generous systems in Europe.

Then we pay a charity to hire 500 staff 18.6m to give a few people who sleep rough food and showers. People que around the block for the bags of food no questions asked.

I wonder who had the contract supplying the grub. Is all the grub and toiletries sourced at the cheapest rate or are we struggling to get nappies so pay somebody extra to make sure we get first refusal?

Is all the food donated but the company that distributes it charging mad money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Well we’re told the homeless crisis is getting worst.

Can any of these people take some responsibility for that?

Any other job they would.

Keep the gravy train going.

A charity responsible for helping the homeless is in your logic somehow responseable for the crisis? I'm beginning to think you're clueless as to what rubbish you're spouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ronin247 wrote: »
    There are 189,000 employees in the charity sector in Ireland. There are approximately 10,000 registered charities. There are 300,000 unpaid volunteers

Homeless charities have approximately 2000 employees, even though there are only a few hundred sleeping rough nationwide.

If the average salary for working in the homeless "industry " is €37,000 then considering there are a lot of families in the numbers, we could probably fund 3 homes at a rent of €1000 per month from each salary, 2000 x 3 homes is 6000 homes..... no more homeless people.

Let me say there are a large number of very good people who work in these charities and I dont wish to tar them all with the same brush but it is an industry.

Can you imagine the outrage over these people getting FREE housing then? You can't win tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They are a victim of there own marketing and yes its an industry the charity NGO industry, then you have all the competing narratives around homelessness, but its not as simple as that and I suspect most know that a lot of the homeless are very vulnerable and would never maintain a tenancy without support and may need support all their lives.

St Brendan’s psychiatric hospital at Grangegorman, off the North Circular Road in Dublin. Most date from the 1950s and 1960s, when more than 20,000 people were living behind the high walls of mental hospitals.

Often there is nowhere long term for people who could need life long support to go all the long term mental hospitals have closed however the problem of individuals needing long term support has not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A charity responsible for helping the homeless is in your logic somehow responseable for the crisis? I'm beginning to think you're clueless as to what rubbish you're spouting.

You need a CEO on 120,000 to hand out a few meals each night and provide beds supplied by the government.

Like what does the job of the CEO involve can you tell me?

120,000 a year.

Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't make those decisions but anyone who is violent is usually kicked out however you have to manage the situation and keeep everything as calm as possible in the moment and that takes skill. It's part of the job and I appreciate that people don't always have the skills to manage their emotions in a healthy way. Anyway I'm well able for it if it happens which is rarely.

I'm just pointing out that we do actually work quite hard and do have to be educated well to do these jobs, it's not just handing out tea and soup. You're dealing with people with complex problems and needs.

Irrespective of what people are saying here on boards picking holes, the majority of the public appreciate the job you do. Personally, I dont think you are paid enough for what you do.

I work as a volunteer in spare time (not homeless but another charity) and people somehow feel that the end user should be happy they are being helped, but the reality is different and often very harsh, due to the needs you outlined.

Thanks for doing what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

anewme wrote: »
    Irrespective of what people are saying here on boards picking holes, the majority of the public appreciate the job you do. Personally, I dont think you are paid enough for what you do.

I work as a volunteer in spare time (not homeless but another charity) and people somehow feel that the end user should be happy they are being helped, but the reality is different and often very harsh, due to the needs you outlined.

Thanks for doing what you do.

Thank you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You need a CEO on 120,000 to hand out a few meals each night?

Give me a break.

The CEO doesn't hand out free meals each night, likewise in a private business the CEO doesn't answer the reception phones.
    You should take a break and come back when you are ready to talk some sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have a LOT of time for Father McVerry but those wages are unreal

Are they genuinely that high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

VcVerry seemed to be on every news and current affairs programme I turned on this week bitching and moaning but offering no solutions as usual, he gets a serious amount of money to fund his work so it's on him to make the best use of it.

Meanwhile Brother Kevin and the Capuchin Friars work quietly behind the scenes and have been doing so for the last 40 years with a lot less money coming their way than McVerry has and they don't need to be on the tele every other day either.

This is an extract from Citizens’ Information listing the main Homeless charities:

Several voluntary organisations get government funding to provide temporary and permanent accommodation for homeless people and to provide advice and assistance to them. Of these, the main ones are:

Simon Communities in Ireland: simon.ie

Focus Ireland: focusireland.ie

Crosscare: crosscare.ie

St Vincent de Paul: svp.ie

De Paul Trust: depaulireland.org

Salvation Army: salvationarmy.ie

Peter McVerry Trust: pmvtrust.ie

Novas: novas.ie

Sophia: sophia.ie

Cope: copegalway.ie

Sonas: sonashousing.ie

Cuan-Teach Mhuire: cuanmhuire.ie

Merchants Quay Ireland provides a range of services to drug users and homeless people, including the Night Café in Dublin.

Threshold and Trust also provide advice and assistance to homeless people.

Some members of the Irish Council for Social Housing (voluntary housing organisations) offer services and

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

salmocab wrote: »
    37k is not skilled tradesman level money, plumbers and sparks are on about 50k basic.
    I'd say the tradesmen that are PAYE earning that money will be the first companies to go bang when things take a turn. Probably smaller companies panicking for staff when they get a big job and then sweating to keep the work going after.
    The lower paying companies have more sense and will see the hard times through while the rest are claiming the dole like last time it went bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So who should be supporting vulnerable people to maintain a home something they may never be able to do by themselves, what organisation? who should be paying the staff doing the supporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The average is 37500 so that means plenty are on less. If that’s based on the wage bill alone then it includes employers contributions. I don’t think people earning mid 30sK are in any way coining it in.

I just heard from a guy that most of the staff in Peter mcferry have a degree in something like phycological and stuff so seems fair they are paid well enough. Even for very simple jobs they need a degree apparently

salmocab wrote: »
    The average is 37500 so that means plenty are on less. If that’s based on the wage bill alone then it includes employers contributions. I don’t think people earning mid 30sK are in any way coining it in.

No probably most are duel income families, but people have gone mad on boards about what you need to earn to live in Dublin claiming mad numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He is not a fly by nighter. He has been involved in homelessness since the late 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

iamtony wrote: »
    I just heard from a guy that most of the staff in Peter mcferry have a degree in something like phycological and stuff so seems fair they are paid well enough. Even for very simple jobs they need a degree apparently

My sister is a trainee psychotherapist and is required to undergo hundreds of hours of self-experience and has to work in the psychiatric hospital. She'd qualify for this work and you have no idea what kind of stuff they see and have to deal with. That's not just handing soups and blankets out, the staff deals with vulnerable and often mentally ill people and this requires trained and educated staff.

• Advertisement

I'd say the tradesmen that are PAYE earning that money will be the first companies to go bang when things take a turn. Probably smaller companies panicking for staff when they get a big job and then sweating to keep the work going after.
    The lower paying companies have more sense and will see the hard times through while the rest are claiming the dole like last time it went bang.

I've renovated my home recently and none of the fees I've paid equate to the person being on 37000 pa. Nor should it in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No that’s standard rates for tradesman negotiated by unions. It’s most company’s that pay these rates and 50k is the low end of things.

I've renovated my home recently and none of the fees I've paid equate to the person being on 37000 pa. Nor should it in my mind.

That's not the same. A self employed person needs to earn a lot more to keep himself in business etc. A company obviously has more overheads again. A PAYE worker takes his 37500 and just pays tax on it and gets paid holidays and in some cases a pension.

mariaalice wrote: »
    They are a victim of there own marketing and yes its an industry the charity NGO industry, then you have all the competing narratives around homelessness, but its not as simple as that and I suspect most know that a lot of the homeless are very vulnerable and would never maintain a tenancy without support and may need support all their lives.

St Brendan’s psychiatric hospital at Grangegorman, off the North Circular Road in Dublin. Most date from the 1950s and 1960s, when more than 20,000 people were living behind the high walls of mental hospitals.

Often there is nowhere long term for people who could need life long support to go all the long term mental hospitals have closed however the problem of individuals needing long term support has not.

Another argument here suggests it was idiocy closing these hospitals which provided sanctuary for those unable to live on their own supports. It’s the very thing that spawned off so many homeless charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You’re not doing a great job going by the homeless figures.

it's not her job or the job of the organisation to actually solve the problem, that is not their remit and nor should it be. of course it would be great if they were able to and did solve it but they can't.
    their remit is to simply provide services and help to those who are in the position of being homeless, and that is what they do.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it's not her job or the job of the organisation to actually solve the problem, that is not their remit and nor should it be. of course it would be great if they were able to and did solve it but they can't.
    their remit is to simply provide services and help to those who are in the position of being homeless, and that is what they do.

Nasty post in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nasty post in the first instance.

No.

I’d like to see a better return for 120,000 of taxpayers money to a CEO.

Like any company would.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How would the services be provided if there was no staff to provide them? Do you think they should work for free and render themselves in need of the very services they provide?

That’s what volunteers are for. Why keep a dog and bark yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

37k isn’t, exactly, a “decent” wage either. Grand for basis admin type roles.

If they were getting 70 or 80k it might raise a few “eyebrows”.

I’m failing to see what the problem is, cranky OP getting his crank on, perhaps?

I would personally consider 37k a decent wage but it might not be for someone in a managerial role.

• Advertisement

No.

I’d like to see a better return for 120,000 of taxpayers money to a CEO.

Like any company would.

120k is not a good salary for a CEO.

Also, the person you made the comment to clearly stated they did not work for McVerry Trust.

Advertisement