Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Make a wage creating profit for a company - fine.
    Make a wage trying to help the less fortunate - hypocritical scumbag.

????

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Pay the CEO €40k a year and watch the charity fold within a year or two.

Youd have to wonder does the CEO want this homeless crisis to end with the money he's on!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, we could have the government hire such people, make them permanent public sector workers etc, cut out the middle men.

Would that be better?

Would we need 500 to service 11,000 though?
    Along with all the other charities looking after the same people. All collecting money and all maybe being paid too.
    Looks like an industry tbh.
    A problem that people would like to keep running because when/if it’s fixed then they are out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There are not 11k genuine homeless people. The majority of that figure and the foreva home crew who have presented themselves as homeless so they can get their free foreva home. You can be sure that the majority of them could move in with family, but then they’d lose their place.

McVerry mostly works with ex convicts and drug users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

BDI wrote: »
    Average wage €37500.

Thats hardly a living wage, these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

37 k is skilled tradesman/skilled office type money not unskilled work. The average wage is 37k how many are on little and how many are on crazy money. Handy out chickens or cleaning bowls in a soup kitchen is hardly worth 37k a week.

How many of these people on big money are religious/church people or part time people on another full wage sticking in an hour or two a week and heading home with the leftover(preselected) bread rolls and chickens?

It’s soup kitchens they arnt building the houses or teaching the homeless how to build the houses. A vast majority of them staff seem like they wouldn’t be earning 37 and a half grand anywhere else with a pension.

Do you get 37 and a half grand for standing at one of them little tables in the supermarket shaking a bucket?

37k is not skilled tradesman level money, plumbers and sparks are on about 50k basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The required services can either be delivered by government or an NGO.
    If the service is delivered by government it will be a damn sight more expensive than an NGO that doesn't have access to a seemingly bottomless pit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

There are 189,000 employees in the charity sector in Ireland. There are approximately 10,000 registered charities. There are 300,000 unpaid volunteers

Homeless charities have approximately 2000 employees, even though there are only a few hundred sleeping rough nationwide.

If the average salary for working in the homeless "industry " is €37,000 then considering there are a lot of families in the numbers, we could probably fund 3 homes at a rent of €1000 per month from each salary, 2000 x 3 homes is 6000 homes..... no more homeless people.

Let me say there are a large number of very good people who work in these charities and I dont wish to tar them all with the same brush but it is an industry.

I think some people thought ye are volunteers and do it for nothing.

My own impression of charities was that there may be a small number of full-time paid employees. Breakfast I earned abt €37k in public service job and have had my pension described in these parts and by media as Gold-Plated because I earn half that, and the amount of envy I’ve been subjected to because of my huge salary during downturn was sickening. I always understood a certain number of paid charity workers was necessary but thought that there was a substantial number of volunteers from among the retired, and splendid individuals in their spare time. I just never realised it was indeed such an industry of people depending on their livelihood for the existence of the unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Would we need 500 to service 11,000 though?
    Along with all the other charities looking after the same people. All collecting money and all maybe being paid too.
    Looks like an industry tbh.
    A problem that people would like to keep running because when/if it’s fixed then they are out of work.

Looking at the figures, focus Ireland are another 500. I wonder how many work in this industry in total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Accounts for 2018.They're handling some amount of money.

Correct, and they expanded their workforce massively to match the vast increase in public funding. Look at the last few pages of the 2018 report.

This expansion has not been matched by any great success in stopping homelessness, if the media are to believed on the subject.

https://pmvtrust.ie/news/publications/annual-reports/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

There’s something nauseating about an employee of one of the richest organisations in Ireland (the Catholic Church) lecturing everyone else on charity. His employers could make a huge inroad into genuine homelessness if they wanted.

He’s full of crap most of the time. I once heard him on the radio saying that the government were sending people to prison to keep the homeless numbers down, wtf?

Who named his charity? Did he name it after himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Looking at the figures, focus Ireland are another 500. I wonder how many work in this industry in total

Threshold 2018 accounts say they had an average of 49 staff at a total cost of €1.9m. Key management received salaries totalling just under €400k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

His CEO is on 120,000 a year!!!!

120,000 folks.

Another gravy train.

But we dare question the Saint Peter who lectures people who own houses and makes them feel guilty.

Can’t stand the man.

120000, is that all?
    120000 is an absolute bargain for a CEO position for a large organisation tbh.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Threshold 2018 accounts say they had an average of 49 staff at a total cost of €1.9m. Key management received salaries totalling just under €400k.

Dublin Simon Community 2018 accounts show average staff numbers was 309 (up from 264 in 2017) at a total cost of €11.4m (up from €9.4m the previous year).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ronin247 wrote: »
    If the average salary for working in the homeless "industry " is €37,000 then considering there are a lot of families in the numbers, we could probably fund 3 homes at a rent of €1000 per month from each salary, 2000 x 3 homes is 6000 homes..... no more homeless people.

It’s not as simple as that though, is it? First off you need 6,000 homes to be available. Secondly, you have to assume that an injection of that amount of money and people into the rental market wouldn’t drive prices up. You also have to ignore the fact for many homeless people the route cause is drug addiction or mental issues which is why they've lost homes in the past. You also have to consider that part of the charities job is to fundraise so the same amount of funds won’t be available. And you have to assume there is no one you need to hire in order to source and administer the aforementioned 6,000 homes. So plenty more homeless people after all.
    Let me say there are a large number of very good people who work in these charities and I dont wish to tar them all with the same brush but it is an industry.

And likewise I'm not suggesting that all these charities are perfect but if all these problems were as simple to solve as people on this thread are making out it’d be solved already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

eviltwin wrote: »
    I work for a homeless charity. Not this one but a similar one. Am I expected to work for free? I work hard, I get abuse from service users, I've been physically attacked, I work at night, weekends and over Christmas. If people don't get paid who would bother doing it.

Well if that's what the service users do to you they should be told to fcuk off and sort themselves out. If they're thugs, leave them homeless.

You're being taken for a fool by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

37 k is skilled tradesman/skilled office type money not unskilled work. The average wage is 37k how many are on little and how many are on crazy money. Handy out chickens or cleaning bowls in a soup kitchen is hardly worth 37k a week.

How many of these people on big money are religious/church people or part time people on another full wage sticking in an hour or two a week and heading home with the leftover(preselected) bread rolls and chickens?

It’s soup kitchens they arnt building the houses or teaching the homeless how to build the houses. A vast majority of them staff seem like they wouldn’t be earning 37 and a half grand anywhere else with a pension.

Do you get 37 and a half grand for standing at one of them little tables in the supermarket shaking a bucket?

Lol good look getting a skilled tradesman for that money

If your looking for dopes by all means .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I wonder if they taxed all the charities could they raise money to solve homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's not very efficient to have so many charities with the resultant duplication of service, a service that the HSE and social welfare should be providing.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I wonder if they taxed all the charities could they raise money to solve homelessness.

Yes. That’s it. You’ve got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Well if that's what the service users do to you they should be told to fcuk off and sort themselves out. If they're thugs, leave them homeless.

You're being taken for a fool by them.

I don't make those decisions but anyone who is violent is usually kicked out however you have to manage the situation and keeep everything as calm as possible in the moment and that takes skill. It's part of the job and I appreciate that people don't always have the skills to manage their emotions in a healthy way. Anyway I'm well able for it if it happens which is rarely.

I'm just pointing out that we do actually work quite hard and do have to be educated well to do these jobs, it's not just handing out tea and soup. You're dealing with people with complex problems and needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

I think some people thought ye are volunteers and do it for nothing.

Isn't that the definition of charity? "The voluntary giving of help"?

Many of us have similar concerns as the OP, as far as I can see half of these bleeding hearts are conmen, and I've no idea which ones are genuine. I stopped giving to charity long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Pay the CEO €40k a year and watch the charity fold within a year or two.

Good.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Precisely. I'm aware if a few charities where the head honchos are in big bucks, and frankly that nauseates me, but 37k? There's a lot of ways to make that wage that are far easier than working for PVM.

I think what we suspect is that 37k is not a “typical” wage but that a lot of the basic workers in some charities are earning misery money whilst the heads in this cohort may be on stupid money and they are the ones making sure the rest of feel bad for existing. Then some of those acting as spokespeople for unpaid charity workers as in the V de P’s case, Ryan Tubridy, are on stupid money, hardly a position to be talking down to the little people about parting with their money for the less well off.

I think, in my case, I was educated from an early age in the 1960s about how self-sacrificing people who work for charity have been, how much they deny themselves a normal life and that parting with some of our pocket money would mean so much etc etc. Having grown up with such a big expectation of those very special workers who could have had a nice life in another circumstance, disillusionment slips in along the way and you begin to find yourself having had stupidly unrealistic expectations of people associated with charities. My first memory of Charity was that performed by workers on the ground and unpaid pilots serving the the people of war-torn Biafra, and that set the bar very high indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Good.

Then let the government provide the same service at a much higher cost. Great forward thinking there tbh.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I work for a homeless charity. Not this one but a similar one. Am I expected to work for free? I work hard, I get abuse from service users, I've been physically attacked, I work at night, weekends and over Christmas. If people don't get paid who would bother doing it.

You’re not doing a great job going by the homeless figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Spleerbun wrote:
    Isn't that the definition of charity? "The voluntary giving of help"?

Eh, no. Look it up in a dictionary

Then let the government provide the same service at a much higher cost. Great forward thinking there tbh.

Well we’re told the homeless crisis is getting worst.

Can any of these people take some responsibility for that?

Any other job they would.

Keep the gravy train going.

• Advertisement

AulWan wrote: »
    Thats hardly a living wage, these days.

Well then should I have been rattling a box outside of a shop to supplement my non-living-wage income?

Advertisement