Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options
  • 04-12-2019 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Seems Peter McVerry, the little priest with the soup kitchen has 500 staff. 18.6 million a year in wages. Pension contributed too.
    Average wage €37500.

What’s the best charity for percentage that actually goes to the needy? I heard of a pseudo science service provider having a charity before and all the money raised went towards him and his mate doing their pseudo science on people. The accounts seemed to show this.

What’s it all about? Restore my faith in charity on an industrial level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How would the services be provided if there was no staff to provide them? Do you think they should work for free and render themselves in need of the very services they provide?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How would the services be provided if there was no staff to provide them? Do you think they should work for free and render themselves in need of the very services they provide?

be more honest than lecturing taxpayers about how good we have it while scooping millions up from the exchequer for their activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Remember if you got a water refund and you gave it him. At least you know where it went now. I think the attitude was you've the refund to give away now.

I'm always a little baffled when people think all the people involved in charities are volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Surprised it took so long for an attack on McVerry tbh. He lambasts the government for the behaviour of Murphy for claiming 51k yet not doing the job he was elected to do whilst Peter accompanied a teenager to court who was caught stealing a bar costing a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Just curious but why are pensions always brought up in these things? Should workers not get pensions? Should they just work forever? Pensions are a good thing. Everyone should be contributing to one.
    BDI wrote: »
    What’s it all about? Restore my faith in charity on an industrial level.

No. Either don’t donate to them or do the research yourself.

• Advertisement

be more honest than lecturing taxpayers about how good we have it while scooping millions up from the exchequer for their activities.

What's wrong with paying the staff a decent wage? Again, how would he provide those services without staff?

What's wrong with paying the staff a decent wage? Again, how would he provide those services without staff?

I don't think there is a real issue with it to be honest.

However I think the issue arises because sometimes charity workers come across as they do it for nothing. People are unsure who get's paid and who doesn't and it can make people reluctant to give to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What’s the best charity for percentage that actually goes to the needy?

You mean in cash for them to spend on the booze that got them into trouble in the first place? Just hand it directly to the lads in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think what OP is getting at is that it's become an industry which means it's never in their interests to actually solve the problem because then they would be put out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I work for a homeless charity. Not this one but a similar one. Am I expected to work for free? I work hard, I get abuse from service users, I've been physically attacked, I work at night, weekends and over Christmas. If people don't get paid who would bother doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

We have less than 11,000 homeless people and 500 employees in PMV, how many do the other vested interest charities employ?

Seems to me that there are a lot of people whose job is dependent on the homeless.

I wonder if these organisations are actually helping the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I think what OP is getting at is that it's become an industry which means it's never in their interests to actually solve the problem because then they would be put out of business.

It's not their job to solve the issues, that's the government's job. Their gig is to provide services to the people left behind by government policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

37k isn’t, exactly, a “decent” wage either. Grand for basis admin type roles.

If they were getting 70 or 80k it might raise a few “eyebrows”.

I’m failing to see what the problem is, cranky OP getting his crank on, perhaps?

The tide is turning…

eviltwin wrote: »
    I work for a homeless charity. Not this one but a similar one. Am I expected to work for free? I work hard, I get abuse from service users, I've been physically attacked, I work at night, weekends and over Christmas. If people don't get paid who would bother doing it.

I think some people thought ye are volunteers and do it for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m failing to see what the problem is, cranky OP getting his crank on, perhaps?

Eh speak for yerself

37k is fantastic money

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Also amazed people think or even have the impression that people can do all this stuff part time and still hold down another job.

Eh speak for yerself

37k is fantastic money

It really isn't.

Average industrial wage is about 35/36.

It's not terrible or anything of course.

Precisely. I'm aware if a few charities where the head honchos are in big bucks, and frankly that nauseates me, but 37k? There's a lot of ways to make that wage that are far easier than working for PVM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Average 37000 though. Probably entry level at 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

noodler wrote: »
    It really isn't.

Average industrial wage is about 35/36.

It's not terrible or anything of course.

I consider 37k to be a fantastic salary and especially in the charity sector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How much annually does the Govt fund of the 18 million?
    How much other funding do they receive?

Seems like the charity is just acting as the “middle man”.

I consider 37k to be a fantastic salary and especially in the charity sector
    Fantastic if you've no children or are sharing your household with someone who is on the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

no time for that chronic attention seeker since he said during an interview with ray darcy that " evictions by banks or landlords should be illegal "

media give him far too soft of a ride

I make allowances for him because of all he's done and all the sacrifices he has made - few others would. However he can talk some right shyte.

But it doesn't have to be a case of either respecting or not respecting him. It can be a mixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

37 k is skilled tradesman/skilled office type money not unskilled work. The average wage is 37k how many are on little and how many are on crazy money. Handy out chickens or cleaning bowls in a soup kitchen is hardly worth 37k a week.

How many of these people on big money are religious/church people or part time people on another full wage sticking in an hour or two a week and heading home with the leftover(preselected) bread rolls and chickens?

It’s soup kitchens they arnt building the houses or teaching the homeless how to build the houses. A vast majority of them staff seem like they wouldn’t be earning 37 and a half grand anywhere else with a pension.

Do you get 37 and a half grand for standing at one of them little tables in the supermarket shaking a bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

His CEO is on 120,000 a year!!!!

120,000 folks.

Another gravy train.

But we dare question the Saint Peter who lectures people who own houses and makes them feel guilty.

Can’t stand the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

His CEO is on 120,000 a year!!!!

120,000 folks.

Another gravy train.

But we dare question the Saint Peter who lectures people who own houses and makes them feel guilty.

Can’t stand the man.

Pay the CEO €40k a year and watch the charity fold within a year or two.

The tide is turning…

How much annually does the Govt fund of the 18 million?
    How much other funding do they receive?

Seems like the charity is just acting as the “middle man”.

Yeah, we could have the government hire such people, make them permanent public sector workers etc, cut out the middle men.

Would that be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Seems Peter McVerry, the little priest with the soup kitchen has 500 staff. 18.6 million a year in wages. Pension contributed too.
    Average wage €37500.

Woo, slow down cowboy. That's 1500 euro below the average industrial wage. It's not an excessive wage for the type of work they carry out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

37 k is skilled tradesman/skilled office type money not unskilled work. The average wage is 37k how many are on little and how many are on crazy money. Handy out chickens or cleaning bowls in a soup kitchen is hardly worth 37k a week.

How many of these people on big money are religious/church people or part time people on another full wage sticking in an hour or two a week and heading home with the leftover(preselected) bread rolls and chickens?

It’s soup kitchens they arnt building the houses or teaching the homeless how to build the houses. A vast majority of them staff seem like they wouldn’t be earning 37 and a half grand anywhere else with a pension.

Do you get 37 and a half grand for standing at one of them little tables in the supermarket shaking a bucket?

Why don’t you write to them and ask?

Advertisement