Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

September1 wrote: »
    This would translate to 13462 euros here after VAT and SEAI adjustment.

Are you a comedian?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It's not coming here

Only 14 countries getting it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mike9832 wrote: »
    It's not coming here

Only 14 countries getting it

Where's that come from? I know the Seat Mii Electric is due to only hit 14 countries, but I've not seen any info re planned markets for the new e-Up! It's due early next year in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

September1 wrote: »
    It seems that price in Czechia is pretty low https://pushevs.com/2019/11/20/volkswagen-e-up-price-in-czech-republic-is-surprising/ at 18162 euros without subsidies and 21% VAT included. This would translate to 13462 euros here after VAT and SEAI adjustment.

Apparently limited to the first 50 cars

That said, people in Germany are being quoted 15000-15500 euros for a reasonably well equipped Seat Mii/Škoda equivalent (after the government subsididy).

liamog wrote: »
    Where's that come from? I know the Seat Mii Electric is due to only hit 14 countries, but I've not seen any info re planned markets for the new e-Up! It's due early next year in the UK.

Speakev

It's the same for all

None of the triplets coming to Ireland

Like original e-up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Speakev

It's the same for all

None of the triplets coming to Ireland

Like original e-up

Ahh good, we can discount that then, Mil Electric is coming to
    Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Great Britain, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Poland. (14 not including Czechia) (https://www.electrive.com/2019/09/11/seat-mii-available-to-order-soon-for-20650e/)

If there is pricing for Czechia for the e-Up then we can say that the 14 countries has been disproven. No sign yet of any Irish intention, if I was VW Ireland, I'd plan to bring them in for Summer 2020. They will have a big VW e-Mobility marketing push inline with the Euro's and the ID.3 launch.

Ahh good, we can discount that then, Mil Electric is coming to
    Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Great Britain, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Poland. (14 not including Czechia) (https://www.electrive.com/2019/09/11/seat-mii-available-to-order-soon-for-20650e/)

If there is pricing for Czechia for the e-Up then we can say that the 14 countries has been disproven. No sign yet of any Irish intention, if I was VW Ireland, I'd plan to bring them in for Summer 2020. They will have a big VW e-Mobility marketing push inline with the Euro's and the ID.3 launch.

They obviously don't care

If it was coming here we would know already

It ain't coming, that should be pretty obvious already

They want to sell ID3 only here

If it was coming here we would know already
    It ain't coming, that should be pretty obvious already

Not long ago, there was much certainty that Ireland would only get the ID.3 Plus model just like the UK.

Unsourced speculation delivered as certainty is a problem, this thread started with pricing on a car from a country that a poster claimed indirectly was not getting it all. Of course, none of this means the e-Up! will come to Ireland, but at least point out it's your opinion instead of making it seem like a fact.

A reasonably equipped Skoda Citygo (with an extended warranty) can be had for about €16,000 in Germany after all the subsidies.

I am hesitating between that a well equipped e-Golf for €26,000. In both cases, it would be second family car for city runs (and 150km/day round trip commute for a year or so).

In either cases, I hope to hold on to the car for a good number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

embraer170 wrote: »
    A reasonably equipped Skoda Citygo (with an extended warranty) can be had for about €16,000 in Germany after all the subsidies.

I am hesitating between that a well equipped e-Golf for €26,000. In both cases, it would be second family car for city runs (and 150km/day round trip commute for a year or so).

Where u can get egolf for 26k?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I nearly pulled the trigger on a !Up a couple of years back, (replaving a K11 micra) in the end I went for a older Golf (both cars petrol) because the Golf was just more practical for seating 5 if I needed it, and has a half decent boot. which I needed at the time. The Golf is a 1.6. But if I continue to run a second car, I'd hope to switch to something lower running costs, which will be a 1.0 or a EV.

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Where u can get egolf for 26k?

If you are living in Germany. A basic Egolf without options can be bad for 22k after incentives (without a trade in).

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

Local garage isn’t get the e-up! Doesn’t seem to be coming to Ireland. Importing from UK. Wonder what the on the road total cost might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,680 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There is a second hand one in Ireland coming up for sale in a few months. When I last looked it was the only e-up! in Ireland. And it's owned by the moderator of this forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 159conor

unkel wrote: »
    There is a second hand one in Ireland coming up for sale in a few months. When I last looked it was the only e-up! in Ireland. And it's owned by the moderator of this forum :)

I think I have even seen it it was white heading into Dublin city center one day. Ive never been so excited to see an up before.

The e-Up! is a great car, it's surprisingly spacious on the inside, it's 0-60km speed makes it a great car for using around Dublin. I like to think of it as a kitten with zoomies, I have a habit of surprising people off the line.
    The ICE Up! was given a refresh in 2017, the new EV version basically has the updated interior and double the battery, it's still using the same motor and can CCS charge at 40kW.

If you are looking at a second hand one from the UK, 2014 models are listed between £11,500 and £12,000, which is about the same as they were when I bought mine in 2018.
    Your main issue with purchasing a new one from the UK is the grants, if you buy brand new you won't get the UK grants or the Irish grant so you are basically adding £3,000 to the purchase price, you'll also have to pay Irish tax.
    Best bet would be to find a UK dealer who has registered a demo and commit to buy it after 6 months.

As unkel mentioned, I'll be letting mine go in the summer as I'm upgrading to the Mini Electric, I'll be really sad to see it go.

A shame VW are not selling the car on the Irish market.

Not that it helps most here, but a reasonably equipped new E-Up can now be bought in Germany for about €12,500 without trade in (delivery in the 3Q 2021). The German government €6000 subsidy is pretty generous.

The e-Up! is a great car, it's surprisingly spacious on the inside, it's 0-60km speed makes it a great car for using around Dublin. I like to think of it as a kitten with zoomies, I have a habit of surprising people off the line.
    The ICE Up! was given a refresh in 2017, the new EV version basically has the updated interior and double the battery, it's still using the same motor and can CCS charge at 40kW.

If you are looking at a second hand one from the UK, 2014 models are listed between £11,500 and £12,000, which is about the same as they were when I bought mine in 2018.
    Your main issue with purchasing a new one from the UK is the grants, if you buy brand new you won't get the UK grants or the Irish grant so you are basically adding £3,000 to the purchase price, you'll also have to pay Irish tax.
    Best bet would be to find a UK dealer who has registered a demo and commit to buy it after 6 months.

As unkel mentioned, I'll be letting mine go in the summer as I'm upgrading to the Mini Electric, I'll be really sad to see it go.

Did you have any dealings with Irish VW dealers while owning the E-Up (serviving etc.)?

I had my car serviced at VW Liffey Valley before it's NCT, no problems getting it booked in at all.

Mod Note: Merged the two e-Up! threads that were ongoing

A real pity they are not settling the E-Up (or its Skoda/Seat siblings) in Ireland. I imagine it is a car that would sell well.

• Advertisement

Just got news that my Mini has been given a production date, so hopefully should be in my hands by the end of September/early October.
    Ireland's one and only e-Up! will be listed for sale soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You could import it. Likewise the GTI :)

I got a new E-Up last weekend (based in Germany).

I have been looking at electric cars for a few years and been very tempted by a Model 3 but just could not make it work as our only car. We do 600-700km journeys a few times a year on Friday evening after work (long weekends away etc), which wouldn't be practical even with the supercharger network. Instead, decided to keep the diesel E90 for the long trips and get an E-Up as a second car.

First impressions are extremely positive. It drives like a little bumper car at an amusement park. Absolutely fantastic off the line too.

Well wear!
    very tempted by a Model 3 but just could not make it work as our only car. We do 600-700km journeys a few times a year on Friday evening after work (long weekends away etc), which wouldn't be practical even with the supercharger network.

What makes you say that? A LR Model 3 can do that trip with just one stop for charging. Surely you don't drive 600-700km after a long day in work without having at least one decent break???

Well wear!

What makes you say that? A LR Model 3 can do that trip with just one stop for charging. Surely you don't drive 600-700km after a long day in work without having at least one decent break???

To be honest I'd buy an SR+, don't think I could justify the price an LR at this point.

Doesn't have to be a long day at work :). Roll out of work just after 4pm on Friday and if there are no bad traffic surprises, am in Italy (a little under 700km) before 11pm with a quick 30 min dinner break. All motorway, about half of it with no speed limits. It wouldn't be so easily doable in an SR+, especially in winter with heating :).

You're looking at 2 stops with an SR+ alright. If you had to do that every Friday after work, it would be a pain. But for "a few times per year"?

Unless I was Cinderella, it wouldn't bother me to get at my destination in Italy at around midnight instead of at 11 PM a couple of times per year if that meant I would have a Tesla all those other 363 days of the year :pac:

Now for a photo of the car.

548619.jpeg

I will probably buy a set of the VW 15" blade alloys off Ebay in the coming weeks. I was a bit stingy with the options when I ordered the car.
    You're looking at 2 stops with an SR+ alright. If you
    had to do that every Friday after work, it would be a pain. But for "a few times per year"?

Unless I was Cinderella, it wouldn't bother me to get at my destination in Italy at around midnight instead of at 11 PM a couple of times per year if that meant I would have a Tesla all those other 363 days of the year :pac:

I fully see what you are saying, but I am probably a fairly extreme case. As I see it, it is the hour or two that sometimes makes difference between arriving at a late but somewhat acceptable time and an inhumane hour of the night (especially with a child in the back). Since COVID I have had to travel home to Ireland by ferry a few times. Arriving in Cherbourg at 5pm or so, I am home around midnight. With an SR+, it would be closer to 2am meaning a night in a hotel on the road and another day of leave.

Fair enough, Cinderella :pac:

Lovely wee motor, well wear!

This could be the replacement for the e-UP!
    https://daydaynews.cc/en/car/starting-from-less-than-40-000-si-hao-e10x-will-start.html

VW Partnership in China.
    302KM NEDC range so probably around 240KM WLTP with largest battery.
    Uses cheap Ferrous batteries.
    Made in China.
    If China allows rail transport of EVs to Europe then it becomes more attractive to VAG. At present China considers Lithium or product containing Lithium too dangerous to transport by train.

The VW e-up/Mii and Citigo were the largest selling EVs in Germany last quarter; https://www.best-selling-cars.com/germany/2021-q1-germany-best-selling-electric-car-brands-and-models/
    If the public embrace the Dacia Spring then VAG will want to respond especially if they can find another use for their slovakia production line.

There are two types of EV cars selling well at the moment in Europe and they are 1) Tesla Model 3 and 2) bargain basement city cars including VW triplets Smart/Twingo.

• Advertisement

haphaphap wrote: »
    There are two types of EV cars selling well at the moment in Europe and they are 1) Tesla Model 3 and 2) bargain basement city cars including VW triplets Smart/Twingo.

Not too sure about that, according to https://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2021/04/europe-march-2021.html the e-Up! has been outsold so far this year by the Niro, 208, Kona, ID.3 and Zoe.

The e-Up! is the only bargain city EV that shows up on the list. Have they started sales of the Dacia yet?

Advertisement