Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW e-Up!

Comments

http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2021/04/germany-march-2021.html

add in CitiGo and Mii and they are minting it on the e-up triplets.

R&D paid for years ago. Factory built in Slovakia with low transport costs and labour costs.
    It is only a question of whether they are making more money out of the e-UP than Renault are making out of the Zoe. I'd guess the e-Up is more profitable as it has a smaller battery by about 16KWh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The European market is bigger than Germany, your claim was they only two types of car the Model 3 and the bargain EVs are selling well in Europe. This is clearly not true, in Europe small family EVs are selling better.

Do the German grants make the e-Up! incredibly cheap?

6000 euro benefit from Government means that these small cars become very cheap to lease.
    The CO2 credits for the manufacturer have currency across europe so yes, they are selling loads of these cars in Germany.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not denying they are selling well in Germany, but looks like they don't really sell anywhere else in Europe in serious numbers.
    Do we know if customers are buying them or is sales to shared car fleets so that VW can avoid fines?

Customers are buying them but VW are rationing them through long delivery wait times.
    They're mostly working off an order backlog.
    VAG seems to be milking their happy position for all it is worth. They appear to be making out like a bandit while trying not to appear to be abusing the BAFA scheme. The last thing they want is for the scheme to be re-adjusted and as a side effect for PHEVs to lose incentives...it'll happen eventually as PHEV support is unjustifiable but the current situation suits them very well in that the German Taxpayer is helping them to make large margin on product and they are collecting CO2 credits to match their obligations.

• Advertisement

I thought it was BMW that were gung-ho on the PHEV offensive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

You haven't been able order an e-Up (or Citygo/Mii) in Germany for the past seven months. Totally sold out. Not clear if orders will open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Up on the VW Ireland website, was it there before?

It has appeared by accident before but never like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

VW Ireland confirmed to me on twitter that eUp is coming.

Also a number of dealers are promoting it in done deal ads - ie order for 231 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I posted about this appearing on the VW website about two weeks ago in the main discussion thread. Quite interested myself depending on pricing obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

It was included on an email I received from VW Ireland today (VW Spotlight).

It's all going to come down to pricing, if they get it right it's the perfect 2nd car for any big EV household.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres the only one I see with a price listed.........not sure if that is pre or post grant but seems very expensive if it is post grant. Must be 5k to come off that to make it any way appealing

Based on chat with salesman this morning.

Then thats a PRE grant price.

Edit - I was talking to a different place not the dealer in that add

Quite looking forward to trying out one when they arrive.

I would like to change my Ioniq for "I want to try something else" reasons.

27 to 28k and a VW badge and a plug might make it sell here so. I imagine it will be very efficient with the small size and battery even if range won't be huge, you don't by an up! to drive cross country regularly. I'd consider one if we wanted 2nd new ev in the family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

If the price is reasonable, I reckon a very important car for VW and for Europe generally.

I like it, small and very smart..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭fafy

Looks like this is being used to plug the gap, before ID2 arrives, in the next 4 years or so, there is certainly a place for it, if priced correctly, if its 28k after grant including delivery, it sounds a bit too expensive for a very small 4 seater car, when you can get say an entry level MG4 for about the same money, which is a five seater, more space, more range, more spec and has an actual screen, rather than using your phone as your screen, in the e-UP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Any word on price?

I know it shouldnt make a difference but I wonder about the legalities of using a phone while driving as opposed to a fixed screen, I know having it on dash will somewhat keep your eyes on the road and as far as I know the law prohibits handheld devices.

This is coming from someone that has a car where nearly every function is in the screen and I know how distracting going through menus can be and taking your eyes off the road to find the correct spot to touch as opposed to finding a physical button or dial by feel.

I do see people with mobile phones mounted almost in the middle of their windscreens with suction cups using google maps at times. Always found that bizzare sitting behind them and you see how obstructed their views must be.

From this mornings conversation with VW dealer.

Then 29 to 30 k on the road after the grant and with metallic...

I hope that gets nailed down more solidly before the end of January when I'm told cars will be in....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

These used to be great but things have moved on a lot since they originally came out.

For almost 30k, why would you buy one ahead of a 500e or e208 (or MG4), which are much more substantial products.

Needs to be 5k cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's far to expensive for what it is. 22-24K and it'd fly out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Because they are VW. Some people, myself included, place a premium on german cars and would prefer to be in that than a fiat 500 or a chinese SAIC mg4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The days of German cars being premium because they're German are long gone and it's odd that there are people that still hold to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭fafy

This 2nd version, of the e Up, has been onsale in UK, for nearly 3 years, plenty of reviews online like this one:

https://www.carwow.co.uk/volkswagen/e-up/interior#nav

• Advertisement

They're a Tardis car, for the footprint the Up! has a surprising amount of cabin room. It's very well packaged and put together. I'd say it's one of the best packaged city cars available

Advertisement