Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So FTTH is available at a house further up the road from where I think the cabinet is, in relation to a house I have bought (in Ashford, Wicklow).

The house is a new build in a new estate, with (according to the eir map) a cabinet at the crossroads just before the estate.

From what I can tell the estate is not getting the fibre speeds - with people in the estate saying they have been line tested at like 8mbs (ffs). I've looked on airwire and at an older house further up the road it says FTTH is available (not massively further up the road, hundred yards or so).

So would this (possibly) mean that Eir or the developers simply haven't bothered wiring up the estate and we are just forgotten about, or would there be a reasonable way to get Eir or whomever to supply the estate with a reasonabale broadband solution?

If Eir isn't of use to us due to speeds then Sky are going to be the same and Virgin are nowhere to be seen in the area - so I think I would be left with Imagine as my only option, and I worry they may not want to install at my house due to the nature of the construction (EWI).

493978.png

The black box is estentially where my estate has been built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's not recently built, however it has just occurred to me that there may not be a phone (and thus active phone line) currently installed in it. Would that be screwing up the Airwire test or does that not require an active phone line?

No, it has nothing to do with a phone line. Is there a long entrance or is the house far from the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MadKingAyres

Nope, the house is right beside the road. The distance from the house to the nearest pole on the road would be maybe 20m.

So FTTH is available at a house further up the road from where I think the cabinet is, in relation to a house I have bought (in Ashford, Wicklow).

The house is a new build in a new estate, with (according to the eir map) a cabinet at the crossroads just before the estate.

From what I can tell the estate is not getting the fibre speeds - with people in the estate saying they have been line tested at like 8mbs (ffs). I've looked on airwire and at an older house further up the road it says FTTH is available (not massively further up the road, hundred yards or so).

So would this (possibly) mean that Eir or the developers simply haven't bothered wiring up the estate and we are just forgotten about, or would there be a reasonable way to get Eir or whomever to supply the estate with a reasonabale broadband solution?

If Eir isn't of use to us due to speeds then Sky are going to be the same and Virgin are nowhere to be seen in the area - so I think I would be left with Imagine as my only option, and I worry they may not want to install at my house due to the nature of the construction (EWI).

493978.png

The black box is estentially where my estate has been built.

New estates are weird. They essentially get connected when open eir feel like doing them. There is no way of knowing if or when it will be done although I'd imagine it will be fibre enabled at some stage.

Nope, the house is right beside the road. The distance from the house to the nearest pole on the road would be maybe 20m.

That's weird. Are you positive houses on BOTH sides of you are passing on that Airwire checker for FTTH?

• Advertisement

Yep, just rechecked. Both get FTTH on Airwire when I put their Eircodes in.

Very odd. It seems you've been missed for some reason. As I said you're going to struggle to order without the Eircode being on the list (called the APQ). You're going to have to try to get open eir, who built the network to add it but there is no guarantee that they will. Here is a post I wrote the other day with some things you can try.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111612208&postcount=10212

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

When did the house get an eircode? If it is a long time ago, then you may have been left out accidently. Worth trying to engage with a provider, that is willing to try and sort that out.

/M

Not sure when the house got a code but it's one of them renovated cottage sort of deals with older-than-average previous occupants as far as I know so I could see how it would have been missed for internet stuff. Hopefully it'll just be a case of them getting a lad up the pole to have a look at things, I'd imagine if everyone else on the road can get it then we should be able to with a little effort; at least it's not trying to run a cable out into the middle of a bog or something.

Not sure when the house got a code but it's one of them renovated cottage sort of deals with older-than-average previous occupants as far as I know so I could see how it would have been missed for internet stuff. Hopefully it'll just be a case of them getting a lad up the pole to have a look at things, I'd imagine if everyone else on the road can get it then we should be able to with a little effort; at least it's not trying to run a cable out into the middle of a bog or something.

It really will not be a case of getting a guy up a pole. Any provider you try to order from will tell you it's not available. They are not even going to send a guy out with a ladder. I urge you to take the advice that you've been given.

• Advertisement

I will take your advice, but just so I'm clear - my best line of enquiry is to go to someone who can get the house on the APQ, they hook it up physically, and then I call in a provider to run the broadband service through that (which I'm assuming exists out there because of the neighbours having it)? Or should I look at getting someone from Eir (dunno who) to actually go out there first to see what the situation is before I assume it's not already on the grid?

Btw I did do a quick diagram of the house's situation but Boards won't let me link it as a new user so idk.

I will take your advice, but just so I'm clear - my best line of enquiry is to go to someone who can get the house on the APQ, they hook it up physically, and then I call in a provider to run the broadband service through that (which I'm assuming exists out there because of the neighbours having it)? Or should I look at getting someone from Eir (dunno who) to actually go out there first to see what the situation is before I assume it's not already on the grid?

Btw I did do a quick diagram of the house's situation but Boards won't let me link it as a new user so idk.

Your best bet may be to approach a smaller ISP to see if they have a contact in open eir that may be able to get you on the APQ. Once you're on the APQ theoretically you could order from anyone but that may be unfair on the ISP that would have done the work on your behalf. Some to approach may be Airwire, Digiweb or Net1.

There is little point in asking eir. They will just look at your Eircode and say no. They are not going to send someone out to look.

Ok, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Hi. Built a new house in a small estate (7 houses) in North Cork. The estate was built 10/12 years and there was no cables installed back then for broadband. The ducts and ropes are there. I set up an account with Eir and they have logged a request for the cables to be installed by KN.

I rang Eir for an update and they said it would take months for KN to do what they have to do.

Can I contact KN for an update, will they give me an update?

While I wait, what options do I have for broadband especially pay as you go?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Hi. Built a new house in a small estate (7 houses) in North Cork. The estate was built 10/12 years and there was no cables installed back then for broadband. The ducts and ropes are there. I set up an account with Eir and they have logged a request for the cables to be installed by KN.

I rang Eir for an update and they said it would take months for KN to do what they have to do.

Can I contact KN for an update, will they give me an update?

While I wait, what options do I have for broadband especially pay as you go?

Thanks

Im also waiting for an installation from a provider and use Three in the meantime

Three Mobile - 3/4G 30 day rolling contract €30 monthly limit 750GB

Things to know:

Check you can get coverage

Its completely temperamental, on off, on off, low speed, ok speed, fast then slow, but you will have something.

average about 0.2 to 2Mbps in the evening. Im stuck with this for now but the 30 days opt out makes it easier to bail out later.

Right now @ speedtest.net

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

Hello

Looking for advice regarding getting broadband for a new build.
    Handover is expected in late Jan 2020. Neighbors are using Eir and say it's good for streaming etc. I've also seen signs in the area for Imagine.

My scenario is a little complex though. I won't be living in the house for at least a year as I am based abroad. That said, I might stay there for a couple of weeks a few times per year - and wireless hotspot won't cut it at such times.

Hence I'm looking for a pay-as-you-go broadband option if such a thing exists. Failing that, I would be willing to pay for a minimal broadband package; at the very least I could monitor the CCTV from my phone or iPad in the country I live in when I'm not in the house.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Hello

Looking for advice regarding getting broadband for a new build.
    Handover is expected in late Jan 2020. Neighbors are using Eir and say it's good for streaming etc. I've also seen signs in the area for Imagine.

My scenario is a little complex though. I won't be living in the house for at least a year as I am based abroad. That said, I might stay there for a couple of weeks a few times per year - and wireless hotspot won't cut it at such times.

Hence I'm looking for a pay-as-you-go broadband option if such a thing exists. Failing that, I would be willing to pay for a minimal broadband package; at the very least I could monitor the CCTV from my phone or iPad in the country I live in when I'm not in the house.

Thanks,
    Check Three coverage map, if they have you covered either get PAYG sim card and buy a router or get Three for €30 a month

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Check Three coverage map, if they have you covered either get PAYG sim card and buy a router or get Three for €30 a month

Thanks, it shows that 4G is available indoors. Note that the house is so well insulated it's very hard to get a good mobile signal of any kind indoors.

Hence I will need a landline broadband package.

Thanks, it shows that 4G is available indoors. Note that the house is so well insulated it's very hard to get a good mobile signal of any kind indoors.

Hence I will need a landline broadband package.

If you have a way to get a wire through you can use external antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm sure this has been asked before, but would be impossible to find through all the posts here!

Assuming I'm just looking for broadband only (no TV/phone/mobile packages), does it really matter which provider I go for? It is my understanding that Eir/Vodafone/Sky etc. all share the same infrastructure so would expect the speeds to all be the same. Am I correct in saying this?

I was just going to go for the cheapest provider given that all I need is fast broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We have Vodafone mobile broadband in the house - paying €60 a month for 150GB data. Speed is ok, kids use Netflix a fair bit and rarely buffers. But it's not cheap, and a few times we've been cut off before the billing date when the data limit was reached. A right royal pain in the a$$.

Considering switching to Three, but have read horrific reviews about speed throttling and customer service. So was considering a 30-day contract (no router) rather than take the router and 18/24 month contract.

Can I use the Vodafone router we already have and just put a 3 SIM in it? Long out of contract with Vodafone so no problem switching, just wondering if their equipment will prevent a 3 SIM being used? At least if we experience bad speeds we can go back to Vodafone...

Zzippy wrote: »
    We have Vodafone mobile broadband in the house - paying €60 a month for 150GB data. Speed is ok, kids use Netflix a fair bit and rarely buffers. But it's not cheap, and a few times we've been cut off before the billing date when the data limit was reached. A right royal pain in the a$$.

Considering switching to Three, but have read horrific reviews about speed throttling and customer service. So was considering a 30-day contract (no router) rather than take the router and 18/24 month contract.

Can I use the Vodafone router we already have and just put a 3 SIM in it? Long out of contract with Vodafone so no problem switching, just wondering if their equipment will prevent a 3 SIM being used? At least if we experience bad speeds we can go back to Vodafone...
    Probably not, normally the router will be locked to Vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

For anyone who has Siro installed by digiweb. The esb meter box is at the side wall of our house. Kitchen is on inside of the wall. Am I right in saying they’ll fit a grey box on external wall next to the meter box?
    And is it possible then to run cable along external wall (5m max) and drill into sitting room wall to fit internal connection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

For anyone who has Siro installed by digiweb. The esb meter box is at the side wall of our house. Kitchen is on inside of the wall. Am I right in saying they’ll fit a grey box on external wall next to the meter box?
    And is it possible then to run cable along external wall (5m max) and drill into sitting room wall to fit internal connection ?

Not Digiweb but I believe the installs of the fibre itself are all Siro sub-contractors anyway not the ISP.

On mine the fibre cable comes out the side of the meter box, travels about 2-3m along the wall and then the grey box is where they brought it through into the house.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone with Airwire?
    Im considering a move from eir to Airwire.
    Standard 100/20 VDSL is the best i can avail of from local exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Its not me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I am currently with Virgin Media, have been for a number of years on 500Mb Broadband, Recently got a call from Digiweb to tell me our apartment block now has Siro gigabyte broadband, who is the best provider for gigabyte? The options I currently see are Digiweb and Vodafone for my area

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I am currently with Virgin Media, have been for a number of years on 500Mb Broadband, Recently got a call from Digiweb to tell me our apartment block now has Siro gigabyte broadband, who is the best provider for gigabyte? The options I currently see are Digiweb and Vodafone for my area

As you have the 500mb package from Virgin and are getting the speed then I would recommend you stay there for now. They will probably roll out 1GB during 2020. The reason I say this is SIRO speeds have seriously reduced since early December. I was getting between 890 - 950mb but am now getting between 400-550mb. MY ISP which just happens to be Digiweb and their 2nd level support have raised a case with SIRO to get the higher speeds restored.

There is a SIRO forum thread on boards SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home, which will give you an insight on what is happening and answer some questions for you. So have a read first.

If however you wish to change to SIRO FTTH then I recommend Digiweb over Vodafone. They have a very good customer service and technical support and use a good router with the Fritzbox. As a added bonus if you know someone already with Digiweb then they can recommend you and you both get €30.00 off your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

cunnijo wrote: »
    As you have the 500mb package from Virgin and are getting the speed then I would recommend you stay there for now. They will probably roll out 1GB during 2020. The reason I say this is SIRO speeds have seriously reduced since early December. I was getting between 890 - 950mb but am now getting between 400-550mb. MY ISP which just happens to be Digiweb and their 2nd level support have raised a case with SIRO to get the higher speeds restored.

There is a SIRO forum thread on boards SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home, which will give you an insight on what is happening and answer some questions for you. So have a read first.

If however you wish to change to SIRO FTTH then I recommend Digiweb over Vodafone. They have a very good customer service and technical support and use a good router with the Fritzbox. As a added bonus if you know someone already with Digiweb then they can recommend you and you both get €30.00 off your bill.

I appreciate the detailed answer, my biggest worry with Digiweb is their fair use policy, 1TB, while it sounds like a lot, is not for me, I regularly go to about 1.5-2TB per month with Virgin, between downloads :rolleyes: Steam games and all the other devices I use including my 4K Netflix. I never ever want to worry about my usage as I am not getting 1GB to have to watch what I do if you get me?

Is their Fair Use Policy strict?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I appreciate the detailed answer, my biggest worry with Digiweb is their fair use policy, 1TB, while it sounds like a lot, is not for me, I regularly go to about 1.5-2TB per month with Virgin, between downloads :rolleyes: Steam games and all the other devices I use including my 4K Netflix. I never ever want to worry about my usage as I am not getting 1GB to have to watch what I do if you get me?

Is their Fair Use Policy strict?

Unfortunately I cannot answer you, as I have not reached the 1tb cap yet. Hopefully someone will have the answer as I also would be interested in finding out.

Advertisement