Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

giphy.gif

No. Wait. Dont do it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

dreamers75 wrote: »

Fantastic to see the Half Life universe making a reappearance.

I'm seriously tempted to purchase the Index for this alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Any Half Life stuff is great but VR just does nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oh ye of little faith, i knew it was coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

All it is its seeing Alyx being carried away by her point of view, then ends as you get dropped at the destination. :)

Thought I read somewhere recently that a game is coming that follows Alyx before meeting Gordon, so a prequel to 2

Fantastic to see the Half Life universe making a reappearance.

I'm seriously tempted to purchase the Index for this alone.

You know nothing but the name of the game and are talking about spanking a grand on a headset.

The hype this shlt is going to get is going to be comical. I have VR and will play it but I'm not getting a hard on over it.

giphy.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    Some big questions get raised ahead of it's reveal on Thursday :)
    Half Life has always had the silent protagonist of Gordan essentially allowing you to invest in the world and characters more. Alyx is an established character so will we be hearing her talk through her eyes like a more traditional FPS character? or will they make her silent somehow to increase the immersion and follow HL tradition?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They might as well be announcing a HL game for the Nokia N-gage, for all the likelihood I'll go anywhere near that antisocial, nauseau inducing gimmick. Very disappointing, but I guess not surprising as Valve seem to be technological magpies, and probably wanted to play with the cool new toys.

Maybe - MAYBE - there'll be some way to play it minus the VR properly, but even watching Let's Plays of VR games make me uncomfortable. It's a media, like 3D, that just seems to ignore the demographics who can't actually use it :( which is a shame in an era when developers are making extra effort with accessable games

Absolutely
    Yeah I know what you mean Pixel. I have never even tried a VR game and i'm in the "wont it make you dizzy?" camp.

That said.... it's Valve. HL1 was a tech feat. HL2 more so. They took years to come about with something new. Surely this VR game has to set the standards?
    We've been hearing so much chatter over the years that things they tried to come up with were'nt mind blowing. Worth of carrying the HL name, etc etc blah blah.

So this better be some VR game. Anything short and it will be meh... why not just release it as a standard FPS as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

pixelburp wrote: »

Maybe - MAYBE - there'll be some way to play it minus the VR properly, but even watching Let's Plays of VR games make me uncomfortable. It's a media, like 3D, that just seems to ignore the demographics who can't actually use it :( which is a shame in an era when developers are making extra effort with accessable games

Yes... it's such an anti-accessibility choice. I can't use it either. I really hope this is an REVII type situation (excellent both in and outside VR)

Valve have always done this though.
    Same when the source engine was introduced, it changed gaming.
    I expect something big / revolutionary here, exactly what VR needs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Valve have always done this though.
    Same when the source engine was introduced, it changed gaming.
    I expect something big / revolutionary here, exactly what VR needs

I don't agree, this isn't some leap in digital delivery or game engine: VR contains some genuine, real-world logistical issues that no amount of Valve magic can necessarily overcome. Aside from the fact that some folks simply can't use it without nausea & inner ear issues, IMO the tech isn't conducive to smaller homes & that simple "pick up a controller and relax" element of gaming (like, I presume it's a total no-go for any parents of small children, given it's an inherently isolating technology).

I get that there are applications for the tech that would be useful, in schools or in a medical capacity, but as a recreation & evolution beyond the tried & tested controller + sofa, I can't see it being anything more than an expensive gimmick for those with disposable income & more floorspace at home. Like I said with 3D cinema, it feels like those who can't use this are just being ignored for the big shiny toy.

It's a case of wait and see now.
    Here's some context to why I think this will be different to that of the current VR experiences.
    The issues you speak of are apparently what Valve has been spending years trying to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's PC so I'm sure someone will be working on a mod to enable non VR play

It's a case of wait and see now.
    Here's some context to why I think this will be different to that of the current VR experiences.
    The issues you speak of are apparently what Valve has been spending years trying to overcome.

There are other immobility issues though which Valve can't tech their way around.

I don't doubt that Valve could come up with something very innovative in the VR space, but unless this scales outside VR as well it just seems like a very exclusive platform (excluding people from being able to play it)

Absolutely
    Probably be Ps4 too down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

From February 2016
    Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd say the only hope of seeing it is when VR becomes more affordable, maybe a VR generation or two down the road. The only way to make HL3 hit with the impact that HL & HL2 did, is to use VR imo, & only when the tech is more mature can that be done.l

Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Advertisement

I wonder when the people who talk about nausea / dizziness tried VR? Which headset? Which game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Yeah I think people are being extremely unreasonable here, VR is an excellent platform, my first experience playing Robo Recall on the Rift was a real eye-opener as to the massive potential and inevitable future of the platform. I'm excited about a Valve VR game, anyone who's used VR would be.

Harping on about people with inner ear issues, comparing VR to the N-Gage or claiming Valve are being anti-access is really childish imo. What, VR should be discontinued because a small minority can't use it, or companies should never produce innovative, standard-raising games on that platform?

This isn't Half Life 3, it's a game in the HL franchise being developed specifically for VR, I really don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I wonder when the people who talk about nausea / dizziness tried VR? Which headset? Which game?

In fairness, some people just cannot take it, regardless of the game type. There are a number of promising solutions coming down the line (mostly involving magnets, electrical stimulation), but they're still a few years away.

As someone who's never been bothered about HL3, I'm quite looking forward to this. "Aperature Labs" was one of the first VR experiences that demonstrated to me the potential of the medium, that it was more than Rollercoasters, jump scares etc. Also, if you've no issues with VR and can't take inspiration from the delightful joy that is "AstroBot", then you're just lost to me.

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah I think people are being extremely unreasonable here, VR is an excellent platform, my first experience playing Robo Recall on the Rift was a real eye-opener as to the massive potential and inevitable future of the platform. I'm excited about a Valve VR game, anyone who's used VR would be.

Harping on about people with inner ear issues, comparing VR to the N-Gage or claiming Valve are being anti-access is really childish imo. What, VR should be discontinued because a small minority can't use it, or companies should never produce innovative, standard-raising games on that platform?

This isn't Half Life 3, it's a game in the HL franchise being developed specifically for VR, I really don't see the issue.

That's ... not what I said; I didn't compare it to the ngage, I said it might as well be on that platform for all the likelihood that I'd play this VR game. So if you're going to sneer about childishness, at least understand my point first? :)

I don't like VR as a platform or technology, clearly that's personal preference & no, I don't expect Valve to personally engineer specific products for me. But I'm disappointed that their new game is going to be geared towards a medium whose hype I don't buy into. Again personal preference and so far opinions against it have been fairly soberly expressed, touching on issues of mobility, nausea and so on. Hardly "childish"

I have spine issues that affect thoracic and cervical spine as well as chronic nerve pain that flares up on certain actions, I don't think I'm being 'childish' in my disappointment, at least.

I'll watch a Lets Play of this, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Not HL3 or even Ep3 lads, can we keep this thread for HL3 related stuff only please? :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm absolutely in - Half Life in VR done by Valve, oh yes :eek:

That's ... not what I said; I didn't compare it to the ngage, I said it might as well be on that platform for all the likelihood that I'd play this VR game. So if you're going to sneer about childishness, at least understand my point first? :)

I don't like VR as a platform or technology, clearly that's personal preference & no, I don't expect Valve to personally engineer specific products for me. But I'm disappointed that their new game is going to be geared towards a medium whose hype I don't buy into. Again personal preference and so far opinions against it have been fairly soberly expressed, touching on issues of mobility, nausea and so on. Hardly "childish"

Give it another go at some stage. Not for everyone but tech gets better. I certainly don't think it's a gimmick even if I use mine less than I thought I would. It just requires more effort than regular gaming.
    I have spine issues that affect thoracic and cervical spine as well as chronic nerve pain that flares up on certain actions, I don't think I'm being 'childish' in my disappointment, at least.

I'll watch a Lets Play of this, probably.

Don't think anyone would be calling you childish for that. Hopefully this game is sit down VR compatible. I like Skyrim VR because I don't have to really move much. Same with Trover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

ugh, a crazy short vr game, glad we waited all these years :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't agree, this isn't some leap in digital delivery or game engine: VR contains some genuine, real-world logistical issues that no amount of Valve magic can necessarily overcome. Aside from the fact that some folks simply can't use it without nausea & inner ear issues, IMO the tech isn't conducive to smaller homes & that simple "pick up a controller and relax" element of gaming (like, I presume it's a total no-go for any parents of small children, given it's an inherently isolating technology).

I get that there are applications for the tech that would be useful, in schools or in a medical capacity, but as a recreation & evolution beyond the tried & tested controller + sofa, I can't see it being anything more than an expensive gimmick for those with disposable income & more floorspace at home. Like I said with 3D cinema, it feels like those who can't use this are just being ignored for the big shiny toy.

Well I happen to like VR and use my Gear VR for watching movies, just in case you thought you were speaking for everyone. Good on Valve, I say.

Advertisement