Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thargor wrote: »
    Its still a no-brainer hundreds of millions in profits though

I think that is somewhat overstating the simplicity of the situation. A) They're already making money hand over fist from Steam, B) If Half-Life 3 isn't a mind-blowing era-defining game then it will damage the Valve brand and cause a potentially disastrous PR nightmare/social-media storm, and C) It would need a huge budget to produce (Half Life 2 cost $40m) and while they'd make it back I am sure, it's still a lot of investment up front - why risk it?

They might get around to it some day, maybe with a full VR mode, once VR has matured, both as a technology and as a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Absolutely
    Fan imagining from the "leaked" episode 3 script in the works (for a while now)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Only a matter of time before Valve/Steam shut that down I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Absolutely
    Only a matter of time before Valve/Steam shut that down I reckon!

They didn't shut down Black Mesa: Source, so they're probably being good chaps about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, Valve have always been fairly accommodating when it comes to mods and total conversions. As mentioned Black Mesa became a commercial product, and heck they let that awful "Hunt Down the Freeman" be released on steam - they're clearly not that precious about the IP.

Hadn't realised Project Borealis was being made in UE4, thought all that snow technology was a little fancy for the Source engine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Fan imagining from the "leaked" episode 3 script in the works (for a while now)

I'm impressed with their physics/breaking glass/air drag features, looks great. The Steam Audio implementation they seem so proud of sounds kind of terrible though, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Every time this thread gets bumped Valve delay the release date by one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is that a week our time or Valve time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looking at some of the dev. blogs, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Valve absorb this as a commercial project; they seem on a par with Black Mesa in terms of professionalism (from the outside anyway), who themselves got the blessing to release this as a commercial item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Holy **** I clicked on this thinking "Really?" and then saw it's like 8 years old.

����

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Holy **** I clicked on this thinking "Really?" and then saw it's like 8 years old.

����

Any day now, gotta keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Poll added.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Baldurs Gate 3 is nearly as big a shock as HL3 appearing so miracles happen. That project does look very promising though.

Wow, credit where it's due, the team has taken the worst part of HL1 and made it into something beautiful.

Only watched that second video today, and holy hell they've done amazing work turning Xen into an alien jungle. Really immersive, atmospheric stuff. Also the introduction of
    an armoured, HEV suit wearing zombie
    is a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet, is there a tentative date for when it'll be complete? I'm holding off on doing a Black Mesa playthrough until it's complete.

Sidenote, I feel awful posting in this thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Think i'll move these posts to a new thread about Black Mesa...can't be seeing this thread bumped again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I only played Half-Life 2. I really loved it.

Is it worth going back and playing Half-Life 1 or will the graphics downgrade/whatever be annoying?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I only played Half-Life 2. I really loved it.

Is it worth going back and playing Half-Life 1 or will the graphics downgrade/whatever be annoying?

Cheers

If you're on PC, you can play the Black Mesa: Source, which is basically HL1 re-rendered, but doesn't include the Xen levels, so I'd wait for the above to be released so you can play it all together. It's not as fine tuned as HL2, but I still got enjoyment from it when I replayed it a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    ^ interesting.
    He does tell a good argument. I hope it's true. I myself have never tried a VR game but would for Half Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    They didnt bring out a 1k head set without a killer app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    Not confirmed, but it appears to be true that the next Half Life game will be VR and will feature Alyx accordingly...

https://www.pcgamer.com/rumour-valve-are-about-to-announce-a-vr-game-called-half-life-alyx/?utm_content=buffer62b6e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I can't wait for Half Life 2 Episode 3 in VR!

Huh. VR eh, well can't speak for anyone else but that's me immediately out. Just not onboard the VR hype train whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

pixelburp wrote: »
    Huh. VR eh, well can't speak for anyone else but that's me immediately out. Just not onboard the VR hype train whatsoever.
    Sorry but the hype train derailed and crashed a year or two ago and it's not returning here for another decade at least :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Like the sub heading or the article says

I'll believe it when I see it. Lol

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Advertisement