Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I definitely heard Tony Todd in there

edit: yep and here's an article on the new voice actors

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/half-life-alyx-cast/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks like I'm the same!

The game comes free for current Index owners or if you purchase the Index before the end of 2019.

Should correct an earlier point made by me. Index owners / purchasers get it free right up until its release. I'm guessing all Index buyers will get in beyond the release date in anycase.

Index purchasers before the end of 2019 get additional content.
    Extra content for Index owners

Customers who have purchased Valve Index hardware by the end of 2019 will have access to unique bonuses starting early next year:
    • Explore environments from Half-Life: Alyx in your SteamVR Home space
    • Alternate gun skins to embellish Alyx's arsenal
    • Special Half-Life: Alyx-themed content for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Dota 2

Community-built environments

A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.

The Index & HL:A already close to top of the Best Selling list on Steam!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm reading that some of the Campo Santo (Firewatch) devs who Valve bought over are working on this; wonder what that means for Valley of the Gods, which CS were supposed to be working on. Hopefully it hasn't got the heave ho, as I was looking forward to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do you mean a lazy eye?
    Damage to the retina/macula, I can see colour with the eye but it's not good enough for any detail. I don't think VR would work for me, although I've never had the chance to try a headset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Skerries wrote: »
    I definitely heard Tony Todd in there

edit: yep and here's an article on the new voice actors

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/half-life-alyx-cast/

And that had to be Rhys Darby too?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That new doc coming out in march detailing what valve have been up to four the past 10 years should be very interesting.

And that had to be Rhys Darby too?

So recognizable, had to look it up straight away and saw he retweeted the announcement so must be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All aboard the hype train!!!!!! Choooo choooo

Now do I buy a Valve Index or do I keep using my OG Vive?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Absolutely
    kowloon wrote: »
    Damage to the retina/macula, I can see colour with the eye but it's not good enough for any detail. I don't think VR would work for me, although I've never had the chance to try a headset.

Should work, you can play with just one eye but just like real life you miss the depth perception but would be like playing on a monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When's it coming to the Epic Store?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I've got a lazy eye and I'm fine with VR, flying a plane, driving a car. If you can see the real world reasonably well it should be fine. Since you are on this thread I suspect you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

brav wrote: »
    Should work, you can play with just one eye but just like real life you miss the depth perception but would be like playing on a monitor

As I recall, there are multiple types of cues we use for depth perception - most of them are 2D monocular. Binocular vision isn't the strongest or most important of the depth cues - it's importance is often overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'll have to find a headset to try out so. I would also play Elite and IL-2 with it given the chance, so it wouldn't be for one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont know about other VR players but that trailer is vr cocaine to me.

Best thing about vr is not big things, its little things and all those little touch movements in the trailer make me super excited. It genuinely looks like Valve has spent the last 4 years of the vive paying close attention to what works in vr and what people enjoy out of vr and oh god I want it. I am tempted to upgrade to an index for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    Know that no specs have been released yet.
    But what's the ballpark price of a pc to run this people reckon?

Will be looking for a pc or laptop soon enough. So could always splash out more to play this. What's the average cost to run high end pc games these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Everyone adding VR headset to Santa list now?

It does look good and something that would be very hard to adapt to kb+m or controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If you can perceive depth IRL, you should be fine.

Holy **** that looks great!

• Advertisement

You guys should relax a bit when it comes to the Index. It's majorly premium for a first VR purchase and the cost doesn't reflect a 2x+ jump in quality over the Rift S. It requires a much beefier computer as well so the cost becomes really substantial.

If you want to splash out, go for it. But don't get fooled into thinking you need an Index or that it's only worth playing on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I mean I kind of already wanted an Occulus Quest..... think I still need a price drop before I can justify though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I mean I kind of already wanted an Occulus Quest..... think I still need a price drop before I can justify though.

Could be a price drop for Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm reading that some of the Campo Santo (Firewatch) devs who Valve bought over are working on this; wonder what that means for Valley of the Gods, which CS were supposed to be working on. Hopefully it hasn't got the heave ho, as I was looking forward to that...

Just seeing some chatter about this now, and it’s looking very weird for Valley of the Gods. Official trailer has seemingly been made private on YouTube, and the developers (confirmed working on this) have removed references to the game from their own profiles.

I’m looking forward to new Half-Life (in VR!) as much as anyone, but would leave a sour taste if an intriguing, original game got canned because of it.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1197582101887045632?s=21

Imagine ploughing into a game you've poured a chunk of your life into and then Gabe says drop your ****, we need some of that good Firewatch storytelling for a new half-life game. I'm sure they had very little choice, just hope it still comes out. Maybe it was just the Devs who were in charge of story/writing and that part is wrapped up.

Absolutely
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Imagine ploughing into a game you've poured a chunk of your life into and then Gabe says drop your ****, we need some of that good Firewatch storytelling for a new half-life game. I'm sure they had very little choice, just hope it still comes out. Maybe it was just the Devs who were in charge of story/writing and that part is wrapped up.

Honestly?
    It's all about the money. Game developers get a cut of profits.
    So if I were in their shoes ... Why continue on a game that you don't know how much it will sell. Or jump on-board a big established franchise that's bound to sell millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I'll have to find a headset to try out so. I would also play Elite and IL-2 with it given the chance, so it wouldn't be for one game.

If you're in Dublin Future Shock in Temple Bar use HTC Vives afaik (I've never been).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

According to the trailer it'll run on the Index, Vive, Oculus and Windows MR which is surprising. I thought they'd lock it to their own platform.

The current VR user-base is already small. Would have been a incredibly poor move to limit it solely to the Index.

Gaben knows...

Full Source 2 SDK kit is what will help this come to the forefront of VR in gaming also.
    The modding scene is still very strong in Half-Life to this day.
    Imagine the type of user level creations that will be made with HL:A comes out and beyond.

• Advertisement

Absolutely
    mp3guy wrote: »
    According to the trailer it'll run on the Index, Vive, Oculus and Windows MR which is surprising. I thought they'd lock it to their own platform.

Have heard it's just a better business move.
    Asking someone to pay a grand for a new VR kit and splash out on a pricey pc to run it as well will be asking a lot.
    Releasing it compatible with other VR headsets means more people can play and more revenue. Ultimately they want everyone to buy an Index so it's a case of "well, this plays better with Index" - in for the long game!

Advertisement