Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

There is a great book called "Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World — and Why Things Are Better Than You Think"

Excellent book and brings a level of calmness to a lot of the scaremongering in the world today. A book recommended by Bill Gates amongst others.

Yes, we should be more mindful of the environment but let's not lose the run of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Boom. You had a wee google to yourself and discovered that the quote doesn't originate from the classics or their authors and thought 'oh noes'.Scarleh for yah.

'boom'??? Rflol. Do look up what I wrote ie that "you did not study the classics" and I would warrant a whole raft of other subject matter with verbage such as 'boom' and 'scarleh'

Here's a very simple intro to the subject for you

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/classics/hub/what-is-classics/

But if you don't understand that much - I'm afraid I can't help you 'scarleh' or otherwise :D

I'll leave you at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Del Potter wrote: »
    For all the youngsters complaining about the previous generations destroying the world they should remember that if they were born in the 70's, 60's,50's,40's or 30's they would have acted in the same way as there parents and grandparents did and they would have done and be doing the same apparently horrible inconsiderate stuff that they are accusing their parents and grandparents of doing.

People are products of the time they were born in and only idiots judge people of the past by the standards of today.

BTW according to these stupid american generation tags they put on people I would be classed as a millennial.

Younger generations are not blaming them for that. Theyre blaming them for not changing their lifestyles NOW despite the reserch and advice and the complete denial of reality and unwillingness to act on that. The denial is what is irritating, not what was done when there were no other alternatives and nobody knew any better. Only idiots justify stubbornly opposing changes to current lifestyles because of their age !

Del Potter wrote: »
    Driving the entire length of the west coast of Ireland has a much greater marginal negative affect than being the 200th person on a flight to Spain/Italy/Greece etc.

Was it really necessary for you to drive the length of the Wild Atlantic way, couldn't you have taken a bus that was already going on that route?

If people are going to pontificate on climate change then they better be squeaky clean themselves, otherwise they lose credibility and people won't listen to them.

Why? Everybodys lifestyle has a negative impact on the planet in some way no matter how green you try to be, theres no getting around it. Every habit we have Im sure could be wittled down and paired back to reduce emissions . Where do you stop? At what point does a climate change activists become 'in the right' to pontificate? Should they live in a cave with no central heating? Not be allowed have children? Why dont they just bring emissions down to zero and commit suicide. I think its silly, a balance between liveability and environmental preservation is ideal. Obviously somebody advocating for climate action should not be doing thing slike eating loads of meat,or flying regularly, or driving daily etc but theres nothing wrong with critcising the excesses of modern western lifestyle while still fufilling need to live a normal moderated life.

So that poster, he drove down the west coast, sure it causes emissions, but much less than those going abroad. Despite it causing emissions if more people did likewise we all probably would be in a better environmental position now and maybe not even having this conversation. So i dont see how hes not in a position to criticise the more common and much more environementally destructive summer leisure activiites just because his also causes emissions. I dont think any climatr activists are advocating for stone age lifestyle. The whole point is, it wont be even take a massive change in lifestyle for huge positive impact.Reducing beef production for instance, yet youve cnuts coming out of the woodwork acting like daily beef for dinner is a god given human right. Its one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole campaign, people like you are so stubborn and wont move an inch. Seems like many have taken such a stance simply in an effort to spite the specky annoying students

People will not listen to anybody advocating a stone age lifestyle because its not feasible at all and most people would never even consider it or take it seriously. So that makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Thought this said Clinton Morrison for a second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Preparing the next generation to pay all these new climate change related taxes they are currently inventing behind the scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Preparing the next generation to pay all these new climate change related taxes they are currently inventing behind the scenes

Sure we're already paying damages for all the other sh*t the previous generation tolerated. Magdalene laundries and state sponsored child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wakka12 wrote: »
    Younger generations are not blaming them for that. Theyre blaming them for not changing their lifestyles NOW despite the reserch and advice and the complete denial of reality and unwillingness to act on that. The denial is what is irritating, not what was done when there were no other alternatives and nobody knew any better. Only idiots justify stubbornly opposing changes to current lifestyles because of their age !

I'm unsure where to start with the much of that. First of all each generation is born into a set of circumstances - much like your 'younger generations' - they do not create those circumstances. The ability to 'act' has little to do with "complete denial of reality and unwillingness to act" rather these 'younger generations' you lionise live much the same lifestyle as their parents. They do not exist in some existentialist bubble. If there kids want change NOW - the kids should be the first to the door.

This guy has the right idea - rather than screaming at the adults that they are to blame- let the younger generations lead by example and go on an energy diet and realise their pampered lifestyles are a significant part of the problem. 

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-03-21/a-modest-suggestion-for-the-worlds-climate-strikers/

As the author suggests the younger generation can make a big difference and embark with all the strength and enthusiasm of ... youth on an "energy diet”. "A big, fat, relentless and endless energy diet. Not only on Fridays, but every single day of the week, 365 days per year, for the rest of (their) life."

And as you said "only idiots justify stubbornly opposing changes to current lifestyles because of their age" ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I cycle as much as I can and avoid driving as much as I can, but still eat lamb and beef the odd time, I fly when I have to and I drive my car when I have to. You don't have to avoid all aspects of life that involve carbon emissions. Small efforts from everyone will make differences.

I do my little bit. I'm not telling you to do anything, I'm not pontificating, I'm not forcing anything on you... I just commented on RTE raising awareness.

My posts aren't designed to anger you and shouldn't cause you to go trawling through my previous posts to "catch me out". I'm sorry if my posts are angering you.

It was one of the first posts to pop up, I'm sure there's plenty more examples. You're the typical pontificating eco hypocrit that thought he'd come on here to virtual signal and boast about his environmental credentials, but instead got caught in full view with his pants down.

gozunda wrote: »
    I'm unsure where to start with the abject idiocracy of much of that. First of all each generation is born into a set of circumstances - much like your 'younger generations' - they do not create those circumstances. The ability to 'act' has little to do with "complete denial of reality and unwillingness to act" rather these 'younger generations' you lionise live much the same lifestyle as their parents. They do not exist in some existentialist bubble. If there needs to be change NOW - the kids should be the first to the door.

This guy has the right idea - rather than screaming at the adults that they are to blame- let the younger generations lead by example and go on an energy diet and realise their pampered lifestyles are a significant part of the problem. 

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-03-21/a-modest-suggestion-for-the-worlds-climate-strikers/

As the author suggests the younger generation can make a big difference and embark with all the strength and enthusiasm of ... youth on an "energy diet”. "A big, fat, relentless and endless energy diet. Not only on Fridays, but every single day of the week, 365 days per year, for the rest of (their) life."

And as you said "only idiots justify stubbornly opposing changes to current lifestyles because of their age" ...
    It doesnt all come down to energy usage or type of energy production. Lots of minor lifestyle interventions like vegetarianism and opting for cycling over driving will have tremendously positive impacts and have been embraced by younger people in much higher proportions than those of middle age and older.

Anyway interesting article but I dont know how right he is about the topics hes writing about. He said its an impossibiltiy for governments to opt for renewable energy schemes in favour of fossil fuels because they are infeior sources and yet 50% of energy produced in denmark is now renewable? And theyre aiming to be 100% renewable by 2050? So clearly its not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Didn't have my glasses on and thought it said Clinton Morrison on the late late show

There is a great book called "Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World — and Why Things Are Better Than You Think"

Excellent book and brings a level of calmness to a lot of the scaremongering in the world today. A book recommended by Bill Gates amongst others.

Yes, we should be more mindful of the environment but let's not lose the run of ourselves.

Climate denier alert

once someone is paying all of their own bills for...

oh, let's say five years, shall we?

that's about when i think they may have some level of mature appreciation for the actualities of whichever society they contribute to.

until then i think it's maybe best to encourage them to try to imagine things from such a perspective (if that's possible) before using the word "should" about the behaviours of other people.

the point frequently made about the greater stake of the young in the future is a poor one. we all got handed a life, we'll each use one, there's 365 days in everybody's year and let's have no tails wagging any dogs on that score.

im sure theyll all get a long enough run for their own younger generations to consider them heathen sellout swine in their turn. the world turns so for us all.

i can only hope they get a generation of kids that are to them what the yuppies were to the hippies. that was classic.

once someone is paying all of their own bills for...

oh, let's say five years, shall we?

that's about when i think they may have some level of mature appreciation for the actualities of whichever society they contribute to.

until then i think it's maybe best to encourage them to try to imagine things from such a perspective (if that's possible) before using the word "should" about the behaviours of other people.

the point frequently made about the greater stake of the young in the future is a poor one. we all got handed a life, we'll each use one, there's 365 days in everybody's year and let's have no tails wagging any dogs on that score.

im sure theyll all get a long enough run for their own younger generations to consider them heathen sellout swine in their turn. the world turns so for us all.

i can only hope they get a generation of kids that are to them what the yuppies were to the hippies. that was classic.

You have to laugh at the young thinking their chosen strategy of ageism against anyone older than them, and blaming everyone above a certain age for everything, is going to work out well for them when they are older . . .Turkey's voting for Christmas comes to mind.

young turks voting for christians, wha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 D, whatever about temps I have noticed a huge change in insect life in my lifetime.

I remember when I was a kid, I'd see "bumblers" and "red arses" everywhere. But these days, seeing a Bumblebee is an event and I live beside a flippin river.

There's been a serious decline of the humble bumble in this country over the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Tony EH wrote: »
    I remember when I was a kid, I'd see "bumblers" and "red arses" everywhere. But these days, seeing a Bumblebee is an event and I live beside a flippin river.

There's been a serious decline of the humble bumble in this country over the last few decades.

Maybe taxing the suspected causes of the bumble bee’s decline would offer a solution. If it turns out to be ineffective at least it will have raised money for the government to spend on other things.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

high_king wrote: »
    You have to laugh at the young thinking their chosen strategy of ageism against anyone older than them, and blaming everyone above a certain age for everything, is going to work out well for them when they are older . . .Turkey's voting for Christmas comes to mind.

Ok boomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Maybe taxing the suspected causes of the bumble bee’s decline would offer a solution. If it turns out to be ineffective at least it will have raised money for the government to spend on other things.

Taxing is not the answer. This is a problem mainly generated by big business. They are chopping down and burning rainforest at a rate that if everyone quit their job and started fitting solar panels and wind turbines we couldnt keep up with it.

Just 100 companies are responsible for most of the world's CO2. Countries building coal power stations while others decommission theirs. These are the things that need to be tackled. Unfortunately they won't as the elite can escape the worst of climate change in the main while the poor fcuker living in squaller on the coast of Bangladesh is double fcuked. There's no willingness on a global level to actually tackle this so I'm afraid 100% tax in Ireland won't solve the problem. We're on a downward slope and there's no brake pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

SafeSurfer wrote: »

And by the way, giving additional money to this government won't see it spent on climate change. They have been beyond useless. They can't even spend European funds that were given to them for projects in the domestic and commercial sector. They have however managed to grant exploration rights for oil and gas and also mining rights in connemara national park. You couldnt make this sh1t up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On the kids on the LLS panel; that programme has a long history of finding and putting on stage "young people" guaranteed to get attention and (over)reaction to keep the show relevant. Usually middle class eccentric types, often related to staff, speaking on a current subject in a precocious fashion. Seems to have worked again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The government can ****e on about climate change , carbon tax etc... But when it comes to truly looking after the environment they're nowhere to be found . Sure didn't Dublin council dump a load of topsoil all over a nature reserve in tallaght last week. Waterways Ireland are non stop up and down the canals cutting weed , reeds and banks , now they want to put cycle lanes all along the canals . Did you see the damage they done on the barrow during the summer, every tree and Hegde cut down along some stretchs because they may might scratch someone's boat. A tree fell into the my local canal during the summer , WI came out and cut down every tree and Bush along the stretch for a kilometre, Politicians act all environmental when the cameras are there but when it comes to doing anything they're nowhere to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Motivator wrote: »
    Are these people actually serious with this climate carry on? Why do they all look and sound the same? Specky twats with terrible names and even worse fake accents.

When will this end?

When Australia stops burning and gets hail as big as cricket balls in one day!

And when Venice stops flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

high_king wrote: »
    It was one of the first posts to pop up, I'm sure there's plenty more examples. You're the typical pontificating eco hypocrit that thought he'd come on here to virtual signal and boast about his environmental credentials, but instead got caught in full view with his pants down.

All I did was commend RTE on their coverage of the climate crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There’s only so long we keep defecating straight into rivers, throwing our rubbish into a hole in the ground and belching tonnes of toxic gas into the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

John_Rambo wrote: »
    All I did was commend RTE on their coverage of the climate crisis.

I'm sorry, but you are guilty of trying to be reasonable. I made the same mistake, thinking that this thread was an attempt to get a serious discussion going on the topic.

I should have known better. I think the use of the word "morons" in the thread title says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gael23 wrote: »
    There’s only so long we keep defecating straight into rivers, throwing our rubbish into a hole in the ground and belching tonnes of toxic gas into the atmosphere

Tonnes of toxic gases? Which ones are toxic? SO2 is the only gas with a toxic classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wibbs wrote: »
    On the kids on the LLS panel; that programme has a long history of finding and putting on stage "young people" guaranteed to get attention and (over)reaction to keep the show relevant. Usually middle class eccentric types, often related to staff, speaking on a current subject in a precocious fashion. Seems to have worked again.

:pac:

I remember a similar reaction when they had a load of goth kids on in the 80's. Supposedly grown adults getting upset by kids.

Jesus, can you imagine what Boards would have been like if the web had existed back then.

I remember a similar reaction when they had a load of goth kids on in the 80's.

Well, look how that turned out..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember a similar reaction when they had a load of goth kids on in the 80's. Supposedly grown adults getting upset by kids.
    Jonathan Philbin Bowman was another one. He was the topic of convo for the pearl clutchers for a time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement