Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Is there no way to drain a certain amount of water from the sea, I know if my sink was overflowing I'd drain some out. The North Pole has no land? It's purely ice over water, so how does it increase sea levels?
    If I take a glass of water and put in a large ice cube, and then let it melt the level on the glass would not have increased.

Where do you put billions of cubic metres of water when you pump it out?
    Greenland is rock covered in Glaciers. Antartica is similar. Average depth is about 1.5km. Good luck finding somewhere to put that much water. Two days heavy rain here and half the towns in the country are flooded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

20Cent wrote: »
    Ok boomer.

OK, Turkey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

John_Rambo wrote: »
    All I did was commend RTE on their coverage of the climate crisis.

No you didn't, you came on to boast to us all how green you are, and then got caught out, deal with it.
    I've been aware of climate change for a long time and have tried my best to adjust my lifestyle to reduce my own carbon emissions.

but forgot you posted this on the motoring forum
    Just back from driving the full Wild Atlantic Way after working on the marketing project for years.

As a keen motorist I'd advise you to calm down, get out of the traffic, open up the throttle and do likewise!

You'll soon change your mind about what real rural Ireland has to offer the motorist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

high_king wrote: »
    No you didn't, you came on to boast to us all how green you are, and then got caught out, deal with i

No, not at all. Driving's easier on the environment than flying so we went on a driving holiday. Plan to do the same next year. Camping is good too, better than hotels. Never said I didn't drive, In fact, I love driving (not in traffic), been a keen motorist for years. Just choose to leave the car behind when I can cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Motivator wrote: »
    Ireland represents 0.06% of the worlds population. What we do in this country has absolutely no impact on the world’s climate. At 36 years of age, I really don’t need to be lectured by some jumped up privately schooled toadface on a Friday evening telling me to buy second hand jeans in order to save the planet.

And don't forgot all of these little twats are ferried into school every day in Daddys Jeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Climate change has become the latest trendy crusade and particularly here in Ireland where we have an instinctive need for validation and attaboys from our "betters" elsewhere (it's why we soak the worst of this stuff up like a sponge).

Could we all do more to cut down on waste.. Of course! But the reality is that we're a small insignificant island with a population less than most major cities. Taxing ourselves into the ground and living like we're in the Third World is going to make very little difference to the larger issues and won't until the Western world decides that capitalism and consumerism isn't going to last forever.

So I'll continue to live as I do thanks. I don't drive a new car, I generate a black bag of rubbish every fortnight, and I don't worry about the sky falling in no more than I did in the 80s as a kid with nuclear armageddon the threat then.

It's no way to live (especially for kids) and I refuse to spend my days worrying about something I can do very little about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

threeball wrote: »
    How can you say you are going to implement X,Y and Z over 10yrs, a very short window, and let almost an entire year just float by without even trying a leg. They put a report out there and are waiting for an election to see if they'll even bother implementing some of it.
    And its not my opinion that its unrealistic. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that every single car sold between now and 2030 won't be electric and it needs to be if we are to reach the 900,000 in the report. Its also not my opinion that retrofitting 600,000 heat pumps isn't going to happen as the housing stock isn't suitable nor do we have enough people qualified to fit them in the quantities required. The rest of it is pure poppycock too but perhaps you'd like to tell us what you think will actually get done besides just pretending they have realistic plan.
    Fine, where's your detailed plan? This is yet another post of let me tell you what's wrong but sorry I've really got nothing to offer except criticism. Let's try something simpler. Name one thing you've actually done to attempt to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

How big does a country have to be before people should give a ****? Should Brits, French and Germans take action?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Could we all do more to cut down on waste.. Of course! But the reality is that we're a small insignificant island with a population less than most major cities. Taxing ourselves into the ground and living like we're in the Third World is going to make very little difference to the larger issues and won't until the Western world decides that capitalism and consumerism isn't going to last forever.

That's the exact attitude of the tragedy of the commons.
    Everyone is saying "well I'm only one insignificant spec in the world, why should I change"

is_that_so wrote: »
    Fine, where's your detailed plan? This is yet another post of let me tell you what's wrong but sorry I've really got nothing to offer except criticism. Let's try something simpler. Name one thing you've actually done to attempt to make a difference.

I insulated my house to the hilt, installed a heat pump and Pv but it means fcuk all in the overall context. The main thing it will do is save me money. It's not going to affect climate change as no matter how much the individual does it doesn't offset what's happening at corporate and governmental level.

You've on the other hand have offered very little bar a link to the government website. You sound like a FG or Seai shill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I insulated my house to the hilt, installed a heat pump and Pv but it means fcuk all in the overall context....

I was actually surprised recently when I read that this is the single most effective thing people can do to reduce their carbon footprint. Insulate the fuck out of your house, and install a new, energy efficient boiler / heating system.

I was actually surprised recently when I read that this is the single most effective thing people can do to reduce their carbon footprint. Insulate the fuck out of your house, and install a new, energy efficient boiler / heating system.

no it isnt

stop churning out kids is #1 by a huge factor

On a personal level yes it is but in the grand scheme of things it makes little difference. The vast majority of people in the world don't live like we do, half them live in shacks and there's no way they will be install pv and heat pumps. So there's maybe less than 1bn people this would apply to.
    The real issue is the decimation of natural habitats and the destruction of the natural world as well as emissions from big industry. Tackle those and you'll see dramatic change. If you want people to insulate and fit energy efficiency measures tell them how much money it saves rather than how much CO2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I insulated my house to the hilt, installed a heat pump and Pv but it means fcuk all in the overall context. The main thing it will do is save me money. It's not going to affect climate change as no matter how much the individual does it doesn't offset what's happening at corporate and governmental level.

You've on the other hand have offered very little bar a link to the government website. You sound like a FG or Seai shill.
    Isn't that word a no-no? Sums up where you're coming from all the same. I guess I'll just have to find a man with an actual plan elsewhere.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Isn't that word a no-no? Sums up where you're coming from all the same. I guess I'll just have to find a man with an actual plan elsewhere.

Certainly no chance of anything coming from you bar government sound bites. You're as useless as they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Third girl to speak: "it is a literally life and death situation"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Since climate deniers don't understand science or the scientific process the rational community have tried getting children to explain what is happening.

This isn't working either perhaps cartoons or puppet show next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Mod note: Jaysus, lad, cop on!

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Since climate deniers don't understand science or the scientific process the rational community have tried getting children to explain what is happening. This isn't working either perhaps cartoons or puppet show next.

Since those who use the term 'denier' seem to be doing much the same as medievel peasants who called those whom they didnt agree with ' 'witches' . Pointing out what alarmists are pushing isn't science (or even closely related) - it's simply stating what is evident. Cartoon logic for sure ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

gozunda wrote: »
    Since those who use the term 'denier' seem to be doing much the same as medievel peasants who called those whom they didnt agree with ' 'witches' . Pointing out what alarmists are pushing isn't science or even closely related - it's simply stating what is evident. Cartoon logic for sure ...

There is no such thing as witches.
    Climate change is measurable and real though unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sure why would you listen to scientists or any experts for that matter when the posters here know everything about f*cking everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There is no such thing as witches.
    Climate change is measurable and real though unfortunately.

That's the point ... the alarmists help nothing. Calling those pointing this out - 'deniers' amounts to little more than witch hunting ...

Sure why would you listen to scientists or any experts for that matter when the posters here know everything about f*cking everything.
    yeah the 10 year olds are really authoritative here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In fairness they can grasp what scientists are saying, a lot of the posters here seem to be struggling.

In fairness they can grasp what scientists are saying, a lot of the posters here seem to be struggling.

No actually that is not correct IMO. The scientists I have seen discuss this mater discuss it as a grave problem not a life or death threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Perhaps they were just doing it to feed your need of a smug sense of superiority??
    Nothing wrong with feeling superior to assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    That's the exact attitude of the tragedy of the commons.
    Everyone is saying "well I'm only one insignificant spec in the world, why should I change"

Yeah but I think what pisses people off here is the total hypocrisy, these kids scram and demand change but what are they doing in their own lives ?
    I'm sure they are still taking lifts in parents SUV, I am sure they all have phones and tablets and replace them regularly - as well as charge them daily of course.

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    No actually that is not correct IMO. The scientists I have seen discuss this mater discuss it as a grave problem not a life or death threat.

I've heard scientists say we're on course for a four degree rise by 2100, that sounds like a doomsday scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It says it all about the late late when the only guests they can get,are a bunch of jumped up school clowns blowing sh1te about climate change and a dead Brendan grace and his family asking can you feel his presence from the urn.fcukin spare us.
    A few weeks before the ultimate fcukin idiot in blind boy boatclub was on and a fcukin bag on his head.
    2019 and that’s the waffle that’s served up as entertainment

• Advertisement

I've heard scientists say we're on course for a four degree rise by 2100, that sounds like a doomsday scenario.

It would be doomsday for many rare species but not for humans. I can't stress this enough. Plenty of modes show human relisence at 4 degree increase.

Advertisement