Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tony EH wrote: »
    :pac:

I remember a similar reaction when they had a load of goth kids on in the 80's. Supposedly grown adults getting upset by kids.

Jesus, can you imagine what Boards would have been like if the web had existed back then.
    It's topical so why wouldn't RTE have them on. The kids are just doing their thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

John_Rambo wrote: »
    All I did was commend RTE on their coverage of the climate crisis.
    The same RTE that insists on sending Francis Brennan around the world on a cruise ship, despite these cruise ships emitting huge emissions, also Catherine Fulvio flew over to Boston so some yoke could enjoy her mammies chicken curry, yep RTE really helping save the world with this.

old_aussie wrote: »
    When Australia stops burning and gets hail as big as cricket balls in one day!

And when Venice stops flooding.
    It will when they build the defences they haven't finished. It's a naturally sinking city and they get floods 4-5 times a year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The government can ****e on about climate change , carbon tax etc... But when it comes to truly looking after the environment they're nowhere to be found . Sure didn't Dublin council dump a load of topsoil all over a nature reserve in tallaght last week. Waterways Ireland are non stop up and down the canals cutting weed , reeds and banks , now they want to put cycle lanes all along the canals . Did you see the damage they done on the barrow during the summer, every tree and Hegde cut down along some stretchs because they may might scratch someone's boat. A tree fell into the my local canal during the summer , WI came out and cut down every tree and Bush along the stretch for a kilometre, Politicians act all environmental when the cameras are there but when it comes to doing anything they're nowhere to be found.

Take EVERYTHING a politician says with a huge pinch of salt. Ditto for their sycophants.

Sure, there are those out there that will jump on bandwagons and pay lip service to almost any cause and those that use a cause for their own political ends. On the flipside you also have the idiots that just want to stick fingers in their ears, say there's nothing wrong, and call people names.

None of these people are worth listening to on any issue.

However, when you have people who have seriously studied this problem from a scientific pint of view, it's prudent to, at least, listen to what they are saying. This community is overwhelmingly in the group that is telling people that there is a problem and that human activity is partly responsible, in a number of areas.

The only real debate left is how we tackle those numerous issues we are responsible for.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jonathan Philbin Bowman was another one. He was the topic of convo for the pearl clutchers for a time.

I can't remember too much of what he said TBH. But I do remember him being a kind of privileged, insufferable, snobby, type.

Preferred his old man. RTE getting rid of 'Questions and Answers' was a travesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

soundman45 wrote: »
    The same RTE that insists on sending Francis Brennan around the world on a cruise ship, despite these cruise ships emitting huge emissions, also Catherine Fulvio flew over to Boston so some yoke could enjoy her mammies chicken curry, yep RTE really helping save the world with this.

Oh the irony of it all... I suppose all
    The politicians will be getting banana boats to the US for their annual p1ss up?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Jonathan Philbin Bowman was another one. He was the topic of convo for the pearl clutchers for a time.

last time I heard his name was on this rare dublin techno track lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73fKm-uEHtA&t=0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Gael23 wrote: »
    There’s only so long we keep defecating straight into rivers, throwing our rubbish into a hole in the ground and belching tonnes of toxic gas into the atmosphere

I agree but again this has to be government led. They are just not interested. They do need us to give them a push but even getting a tanking off the greens in the local elections didn't make them sit up. At the end of the day people will always care more about their economic situation than looking at whether their kids have a future. With the way the country is run its hard to blame them.

One example that really pishes me off is recycling. Most of us take time to seperate our rubbish, was the plastics etc and put in the proper bins. Then along comes the truck and the whole lot gets fcuked into the same hopper and they move to the next house. I sat on a street in my town early on morning watching a bin truck in front of me empty a black bin and a blue bin into the truck, then a double bin (commercial), then another black and blue but with the bins opposite sides to the last set that were tipped. Its an absolute farce.

I 100% believe in climate change and believe we all have a role to play but unless we have leadership from the top other than taxing people then we may as well throw our hat at it.

threeball wrote: »
    I agree but again this has to be government led. They are just not interested. They do need us to give them a push but even getting a tanking off the greens in the local elections didn't make them sit up. At the end of the day people will always care more about their economic situation than looking at whether their kids have a future. With the way the country is run its hard to blame them.

One example that really pishes me off is recycling. Most of us take time to seperate our rubbish, was the plastics etc and put in the proper bins. Then along comes the truck and the whole lot gets fcuked into the same hopper and they move to the next house. I sat on a street in my town early on morning watching a bin truck in front of me empty a black bin and a blue bin into the truck, then a double bin (commercial), then another black and blue but with the bins opposite sides to the last set that were tipped. Its an absolute farce.

I 100% believe in climate change and believe we all have a role to play but unless we have leadership from the top other than taxing people then we may as well throw our hat at it.
    They are not doing nothing but believing they are is a way to be an ersatz climate activist.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/climate-action/topics/climate-action-plan/Pages/climate-action.aspx

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are not doing nothing but believing they are is a way to be an ersatz climate activist.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/climate-action/topics/climate-action-plan/Pages/climate-action.aspx

That plan is the biggest load of sh1te ever put on paper. 900,000 electric cars by 2030 when we have less than 5000 now and an infrastructure that can't even support that much. Thats before you get into the other ****e.

SEAI are a complete joke as per most quangos in this state. Hundreds of people in well paid jobs doing the some total of nothing bar writing crap reports like the above. They do little or nothing to reduce carbon emissions in any year. In fact they are more of an impedient to change with their inability to run a grant scheme that they actually hinder change. I'd get rid of them in the morning and implement a few proper rules that would see drastic change without any implications for Joe and Mary Soap. That money could be spent on actual change rather than a load of spoofers talking about it.

Just because they have a link on their website doesn't mean it actually happening. Paper never refused ink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

I mean, yes we will have to pay Carbon taxes to finance vague "green initiatives", that will be headed by friends of TD's etc. while our health, education, justice and infrastructure creaks, and yes, we will be pressured into eating bugs because meat is bad for the environment, and yes, we will be encouraged to live in cramped, company owned workhou.... I mean, co-living accommodations, and yes, travel may be be restricted in the future to cut back on emissions from air and sea travel, but it's all for a good cause because if we can offset China and India's emissions and waste production by even a fraction of a percent, it's a small price to pay I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can't remember too much of what he said TBH. But I do remember him being a kind of privileged, insufferable, snobby, type.
    I knew him briefly through mutual friends T and face to face he was actually a very nice kinda guy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That plan is the biggest load of sh1te ever put on paper. 900,000 electric cars by 2030 when we have less than 5000 now and an infrastructure that can't even support that much. Thats before you get into the other ****e.

SEAI are a complete joke as per most quangos in this state. Hundreds of people in well paid jobs doing the some total of nothing bar writing crap reports like the above. They do little or nothing to reduce carbon emissions in any year. In fact they are more of an impedient to change with their inability to run a grant scheme that they actually hinder change. I'd get rid of them in the morning and implement a few proper rules that would see drastic change without any implications for Joe and Mary Soap. That money could be spent on actual change rather than a load of spoofers talking about it.

Just because they have a link on their website doesn't mean it actually happening. Paper never refused ink.
    As I said it's far from perfect but it does exist so saying they are doing nothing is untrue. They are just not doing things you agree with. It has timelines, will be subject to review and one would assume can be modified. That's a whole lot better than the unstructured demands that others favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

However, when you have people who have seriously studied this problem from a scientific pint of view, it's prudent to, at least, listen to what they are saying. This community is overwhelmingly in the group that is telling people that there is a problem and that human activity is partly responsible, in a number of areas.

Yes we should listen to what scientists & researchers say. We should also bear in mind that the same people rely on funding. Institutions are constantly seeking sources of funding, research grants etc. Climate change is one of the sexy topics of the moment and attracts such funding. It’s a profitable train to be on, so whilst we should listen, we should always be wary of group think in this scenario.

As I said it's far from perfect but it does exist so saying they are doing nothing is untrue. They are just not doing things you agree with. It has timelines, will be subject to review and one would assume can be modified. That's a whole lot better than the unstructured demands that others favour.

They are doing nothing. They can't even run the schemes they have. Deep retrofit ran out of money in about May or June with €10m missing and very few houses completed. They have another scheme for businesses, not a single scheme approved in the entire year when there should have been 30 or 40. European money too, not our taxes.

Having a plan is all well and good but implementing it is another thing entirely especially a completely unrealistic plan. I could have a plan to be a millionaire by next friday. Barring a Lotto win its not even a small percentage of 1% chance of happening. I still have a better chance than the government have of delivering even 1/10th of that report. It won't matter though as they won't be in office in a couple of years and will blame the next lads for not implementing it. Thats irish politics.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes we should listen to what scientists & researchers say. We should also bear in mind that the same people rely on funding. Institutions are constantly seeking sources of funding, research grants etc. Climate change is one of the sexy topics of the moment and attracts such funding. It’s a profitable train to be on, so whilst we should listen, we should always be wary of group think in this scenario.

You don't need to be a scientist to see whats happening our weather or the way that animals in various parts of the world are disappearing at an alarming rate because they can't keep up with the changes. Polar bears starving because theres too much meltwater, elephants dying in their hundreds from drought. Rain forests that haven't see rain in 7yrs. Anyone denying it is a fool. The way they are tackling it is a farce.

They are doing nothing. They can't even run the schemes they have. Deep retrofit ran out of money in about May or June with €10m missing and very few houses completed. They have another scheme for businesses, not a single scheme approved in the entire year when there should have been 30 or 40. European money too, not our taxes.

Having a plan is all well and good but implementing it is another thing entirely especially a completely unrealistic plan. I could have a plan to be a millionaire by next friday. Barring a Lotto win its not even a small percentage of 1% chance of happening. I still have a better chance than the government have of delivering even 1/10th of that report. It won't matter though as they won't be in office in a couple of years and will blame the next lads for not implementing it. Thats irish politics.
    And herein lies the problem. Apart from demanding governments do something and then picking at what they might be doing you're utterly convinced you're right but we can't say whether it's unrealistic based on your opinion. Maybe you are but until you have a similar structured plan it's all just pie in the sky off the top of the head stuff we've had lots of down the years.

And herein lies the problem. Apart from demanding governments do something and then picking at what they might be doing you're utterly convinced you're right but we can't say whether it's unrealistic based on your opinion. Maybe you are but until you have a similar structured plan it's all just pie in the sky off the top of the head stuff we've had lots of down the years.

How can you say you are going to implement X,Y and Z over 10yrs, a very short window, and let almost an entire year just float by without even trying a leg. They put a report out there and are waiting for an election to see if they'll even bother implementing some of it.
    And its not my opinion that its unrealistic. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that every single car sold between now and 2030 won't be electric and it needs to be if we are to reach the 900,000 in the report. Its also not my opinion that retrofitting 600,000 heat pumps isn't going to happen as the housing stock isn't suitable nor do we have enough people qualified to fit them in the quantities required. The rest of it is pure poppycock too but perhaps you'd like to tell us what you think will actually get done besides just pretending they have realistic plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I know you're not making this claim, but a lot of people seem to grasp on to the idea that it's all made up by scientists to make money. For the massive conspiracy that would be necessary to create fake research and stop anyone breaking ranks and talking about it there just isn't that much financial incentive to do it.
    What really stretches it is the same people indulging in the conspiracy theory have no problem believing that major petrochemical concerns and the likes are on the level and not making efforts to suppress the science. We've seen it before with the likes of the tobacco industry. If the conspiracy is churning out junk papers these companies wouldn't be long funding studies proving their falsity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I knew him briefly through mutual friends T and face to face he was actually a very nice kinda guy.

Maybe he’s confusing Johnathan Philbin Bowman with Gavin Lambe-Murphy, W? He seemed like a right ****.

Just a thought.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I'll take your word for it so. One thing I'll say is that face to face, I'd probably get a good conversation out of him at least.

Yeh, the other crowd are looking for funding too. But, their approach is usually just trying to shoot something down, which makes me automatically cautious about their input into the conversation and who's providing them with money. Too often that type are just acting as shills for corporate interests, who's bottom line is their bottom line.

The thing is, the scientific community have been banging on about this for a long time, long before it became the "sexy topic" of the modern era, so I'm inclined to more well disposed to their bona fides on the matter.

Maybe he’s confusing Johnathan Philbin Bowman with Gavin Lambe-Murphy, W? He seemed like a right ****.

Just a thought.

No, I remember who Jonathan Philbin Bowman was. But mainly as the son of John Bowman, presenter of 'Today Tonight', 'Questions and Answers', election specials, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Time to throw a few shovels of clay on the LLS at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is there no way to drain a certain amount of water from the sea, I know if my sink was overflowing I'd drain some out. The North Pole has no land? It's purely ice over water, so how does it increase sea levels?
    If I take a glass of water and put in a large ice cube, and then let it melt the level on the glass would not have increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You don't need to be a scientist to see whats happening our weather or the way that animals in various parts of the world are disappearing at an alarming rate because they can't keep up with the changes. Polar bears starving because theres too much meltwater, elephants dying in their hundreds from drought. Rain forests that haven't see rain in 7yrs. Anyone denying it is a fool. The way they are tackling it is a farce.

Polar bear numbers are increasing. Animal numbers are decreasing due to humans destroying their habitat rather than climate change.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 30,323 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I sort of believed that nearly all people under 21 were likeable this. However I started a job earlier this year and youd met the odd young person.(I'm late twenties by the way).
    None of them really seems to care any more about the environment from when I was at school.
    However if you told them say the correct thing and you'd get days off school, visits to the Dail, be on the Late Late Show, etc they'd all read off the same hymn sheet.
    When I was at school over a decade ago. We'd have done similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just a thought.

Hahaha. Himself and that Miss Ireland wan from around 1990 are some tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is there no way to drain a certain amount of water from the sea, I know if my sink was overflowing I'd drain some out. The North Pole has no land? It's purely ice over water, so how does it increase sea levels?
    If I take a glass of water and put in a large ice cube, and then let it melt the level on the glass would not have increased.

Plenty of ice in permafrost and sitting on top of land elsewhere. But yes, displacement is a thing.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Polar bear numbers are increasing. Animal numbers are decreasing due to humans destroying their habitat rather than climate change.

https://www.earthday.org/2019/02/07/how-climate-change-is-threatening-our-species/

Advertisement