Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wakka12 wrote: »
    Before it started shifting towards a point where it will eventually make the world inhospitable for us(and it's other non human inhabitants) to live in
    Nobody actually knows when that is, they are still guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

high_king wrote: »
    Pretending what people with genuine concerns are saying, and seen all these tactics before, and recognsie them for what they really are, does not help your case.

And yet instead we're being told by the government the "solution" is buying 40 grand electric cars regularly, and 40 grand high tech heating systems . . and buying more and more, that only the well off can afford, while those that can't afford the high tech, high cost consumer alternative, have to pay more extortionate taxes so the rich don't.

A few years ago it was all about saving the broken banking system (actual outcome : saving the rich, banking system still broken worse than ever) . .now its all about saving the broken environmental system (actual outcome: saving the rich, environment broken bad as ever)

Or you could cycle or take public transport which is much more likely to be the objective of such campagains than increasing the wealth of eletric car dealers.Government arent making you do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Before it started shifting towards a point where it will eventually make the world inhospitable for us(and it's other non human inhabitants) to live in

I see. Like the Ice Age then?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nobody actually knows when that is, they are still guessing.

My point was , it doesnt matter when it started. We just need to try and turn it the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭bronkobilly

late late show waste of electric who will miss rte less good progammes more licence fee

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Or you could cycle or take public transport which is much more likely to be the objective of such campagains than increasing the wealth of eletric car dealers.Government arent making you do anything

Tell us, how does someone in the real world, who can't afford to live where their work is and has to commute to work and leave kids off at childcare "cycle to work" or "take public transport" in vast swathes of Ireland where there is none. It's this simplistic detached from reality platitudes that grinds the gears of people living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

paddy joe should have been turned into soylent green years ago

Can’t believe the blatant ageism on here, I suppose because it’s not the in thing, it’s ok to be rude to the very people that built this country... instead let’s listen to a bunch of snowflake speky twats who never did a days work in their miserable little sheltered lives, not to mention the hypocrisy of it all with their iPhones and jumbo jet holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can’t believe the blatant ageism on here, I suppose because it’s not the in thing, it’s ok to be rude to the very people that built this country... instead let’s listen to a bunch of snowflake speky twats who never did a days work in their miserable little sheltered lives, not to mention the hypocrisy of it all with their iPhones and jumbo jet holidays

Ok, Boomer.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ok, Boomer.

OK, Turkey.

Tell us, how does someone in the real world, who can't afford to live where their work is and has to commute to work and leave kids off at childcare "cycle to work" or "take public transport" in vast swathes of Ireland where there is none. It's this simplistic detached from reality platitudes that grinds the gears of people living in the real world.
    So what do you expect the government to do then other than to promote use of electric cars for somebody living in a rural area, where as you say cycling and PT are not feasible,if they want to reduce national carbon emissions(which they must and are legally obligated to by the EU)?

• Advertisement

Not every old person built the country or contributed in any significant or positive way. Lots of young people work

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Ok, Boomer.

I’d say go and play football but in a game someone has to lose, you might not be able to handle that

So what do you expect the government to do then other than to promote use of electric cars for somebody living in a rural area, where as you say cycling and PT are not feasible,if they want to reduce national carbon emissions(which they must and are legally obligated to by the EU)?

Well for a start, why are all the jobs and resources being centralised in one city that can't cope environmentally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Do these climate change people really believe they can change the world, by getting us to wash our bean cans etc, while every country in the world[inc Ireland] is belching out millions of tons of smoke from power stations etc, maybe all that's happening is just nature at it's best. I think were only washing out bean cans so the'll be clean enough for the recycling companies to sell it, [no mention of the money these are making , while we pay for it]
    ps i don't wash bean cans or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don't understand the topic if that's what you think. I'm past caring about this anyway. I think it's hopeless and we can't change our ways so were fcuked. The consequences won't fully manifest in our lifetimes hopefully.

People are inherently selfish, we would rather die than live the kind of austere lifestyle required to combat climate change

We weren't meant to be here forever anyway, we aren't that important, nor are we powerful enough to change the climate

Well for a start, why are all the jobs and resources being centralised in one city that can't cope environmentally ?

True, thats a problem. But its caused by successive governments, so the ones there now arent necessarily to blame. And much of that problem is irreversible, so they have to work with what theyve got. Its also not just caused by those in power, lots of people just like the advantage of proximity to services that accompanies living in cities, dublin is our only major city, so lots of people will move there to live regardless of what the government do. promotion of electric cars seems like a good compromise really, because it means it could help reach carbon emission reduction while also allowing people stay in rural areas and remain mobile with a vehicle

True, thats a problem. But its caused by successive governments, so the ones there now arent necessarily to blame. And much of that problem is irreversible, so they have to work with what theyve got. Its also not just caused by those in power, lots of people just like the advantage of proximity to services that accompanies living in cities, dublin is our only major city, so lots of people will move their to live regardless of what the government do. promotion of electric cars seems like a good idea really, because it means it could help reach carbo emission reduction while also allowing people stay in rural areas and be remain mobile with a vehicle

Ah yes, head in the sand, while treating the symptoms, ignoring the repeated ad nausea causes, fostering and perpetuating mono city culture, tax the poor so the better off can continue to evade it. Repeatedly manufacturer and buy new 40 grand electric cars, plugged into fossil fuels or nuclear, and 40 grand high tech house makeovers . . or face our taxes so we don't have to pay any.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Green Neo Naziism..great tagline though, really helps to justify their bizarre unjustified animosity towards people trying to make the environment a cleaner and safer place. For all the talk from these people who are critical of climate advocates for being snowflakes with no real problems of their own to contend with, equating their actions with the brutality of Naziism has to surely be the most snowflake going

Maybe they're sh1tting themselves about a gammon genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭abff

Motivator wrote: »
    Ireland represents 0.06% of the worlds population. What we do in this country has absolutely no impact on the world’s climate. At 36 years of age, I really don’t need to be lectured by some jumped up privately schooled toadface on a Friday evening telling me to buy second hand jeans in order to save the planet.

What a selfish, bullying, mindless post. Reminds me of the type of thing that Donald Trump would tweet. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I very much doubt that anything I say will change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

abff wrote: »
    What a selfish, bullying, mindless post. Reminds me of the type of thing that Donald Trump would tweet. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I very much doubt that anything I say will change your mind.

Ultimately it doesn't matter.

Green policy is here and things are changing. All the bluster and denial is ultimately wasted.

I support anyone with a pro climate policy and they'll get my vote. Thats all that matters.

• Advertisement

Ahh the green neo nazism comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Del Potter

When Politicians and Activists regarding climate change finally get round to pointing out that excess population is the cause of all the worlds sustainability problems and when they start proposing solutions to finally get this under control I might start to take them more seriously.When they start telling countries like China and India and many African countries to putting controls on their population I might start to respect their opinions more.

I believe we are causing climate change it's fairly obvious we're damaging the planet yet it's very hard to be continually be lectured to when many countries have failed to control their population and have failed to take into account that having too many children in regions where food production is difficult is not a good idea.We were at fault ourselves of this for a long long while, it's disgraceful how many families in Ireland had 5 ,6,7 or more children when 2 would have been plenty.

I might start to take this politicians and activists more seriously if they actually started proposing solutions to the issue rather than continually telling is what we are doing wrong over and over again, people have heard this for a quite a long while now yet very few solutions have been proposed and after a while a continuous guilt trip being thrust on you gets tiresome and people just tune out.

Everyone has worked out we're causing damage that story has been told it's now time for these activists and politicians to start proposing real solutions to the issue.It honestly seems to me that a lot of the climate change activists are just another group of people who want to take the moral high ground and make people feel guilty rather than actually giving a toss about climate change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Green policy is here and things are changing. All the bluster and denial is ultimately wasted.

I support anyone with a pro climate policy and they'll get my vote. Thats all that matters.

I'd be careful with that , any old shyster can come along and trick you. A candidate for the racists one for the greens one for the greed mongers. They won't give a **** , just spotting a gap in the market and nose in the trough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭abff

Ahh the green neo nazism comes out.

I think your comment proves my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Just wait until the GE and we’ll see how important “green policy” is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i think the greens will do reasonably well, but voters of ff and fg have nothing to worry about, as these two could very well be ruling the roost indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The irony is that we do need to be nicer to the environment. But what this is doing is furthering the liberal vs conservative divide, with the former becoming just as militant as is usually associated with the latter. The centre - that bastion of reason - is dissapearing again.

It's now a race to the bottom until another world war comes along to put us all back in our lanes.

Or, some orders of magnitude less likely, the glaciers melt and we all drown of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Co2 levels on the planet are highest in 800,000 years and have seen massive spike over past 125 or so years.

Co2 levels remained around 250-280ppm for last thousand or so years until 1900

Have you got the fgures for a 1000 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'm not talking about the Green Party, FF and FG have green policies too because it's the way voters are leaning.

Ultimately deniers will be rightly ignored. Its already happening with focus on renewables and cutting back on fossil fuels.

• Advertisement

I think your comment proves my point.

You mean exposes it

Advertisement