Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Talking to a guy at my local parkrun yesterday and he entered again for 2020 but is still undecided, he'll make his decision in April before the refunds kick in and is looking at it as a cost of €20 to keep a place if he needs it (cost - 70% refund).
    I think a lot of people will do this which will skew any previous data of people running in consecutive years. Someone still on the fence will sign up knowing they have a guaranteed entry and can back out. This will leave very few places left for the lottery but a lot more places will open up after the refund window, cue a lot of angry people in January!!

Angry in January, angry in August, basically just our modern world of outrage. There was people angry last year and they had a month to sign up before the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Angry in January, angry in August, basically just our modern world of outrage. There was people angry last year and they had a month to sign up before the outrage.

Very true, question is have Dublin Marathon taken this into account? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Refunds should be available until end of August. People should be able to sign up on a waiting list from whenever and as a person gives back their number the next one off the list gets 48 hours to accept or goes to next person. If you’re a regular runner you should be able to train for a marathon in 2 months if you’ve a decent base.

Honestly, I think refunds should be available up to a month beforehand. The month before is when lots of injuries occur.
    Plenty of people would train in the hope that they get in.
    I know I would anyway, and sure once you accepted that you might not get a place, what harm?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Talking to a guy at my local parkrun yesterday and he entered again for 2020 but is still undecided, he'll make his decision in April before the refunds kick in and is looking at it as a cost of €20 to keep a place if he needs it (cost - 70% refund).
    I think a lot of people will do this which will skew any previous data of people running in consecutive years. Someone still on the fence will sign up knowing they have a guaranteed entry and can back out. This will leave very few places left for the lottery but a lot more places will open up after the refund window, cue a lot of angry people in January!!

From the survey of 2 codes that I got emailed for two previous entries, of which only one was used in the previous year, I only stumped up the cash for one of the 2020 entries. It would still be 50/50 for if I would even use that one entry I expect until the week before the marathon next year. I'd be unlikely to cancel it though even if I thought plans weren't likely to be falling into place to actually make it to the start line.

It's just one of the many costs of being a runner, and a relatively minor one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

By all means I think a reasonable refund / deferral window is needed.

But any such policy should probably give them enough time to actually get that pace out there to someone else. 1 month is silly.

And from a payment point of view refunding someone who paid you 9 months ago would be a colossal pain.

Would be nice in a perfect world but I cant think of any race or live event that would be that accommodating for last minute pullouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Would it be outside the realms of IT to put a system in place where people who didn't get into the sold-out marathon could join a queue (and pay full price). Then anyone who has an entry could get a full refund at any point even up until just before race number collection. The first in the "hopefulls" queue then gets that entry.

If the people hoping to get a cancellation don't get one then they get a full refund.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mathie wrote: »
    Would it be outside the realms of IT to put a system in place where people who didn't get into the sold-out marathon could join a queue (and pay full price). Then anyone who has an entry could get a full refund at any point even up until just before race number collection. The first in the "hopefulls" queue then gets that entry.

If the people hoping to get a cancellation don't get one then they get a full refund.

Nothing too complicated in setting up a system to do that.

The totally impossible thing to administer though is the punters who then start mouthing off on social media that they stubbed their toe the evening before the marathon and their dog chewed their mobile phone so they had to borrow someone else phone which had the wrong colour case so didn't look cool enough and they obviously couldn't use that in public so had to wait until 1 minute past the deadline to apply for a place in the refund queue and so they lost out on getting their money back which they needed to pay for looking after their sick hamster and how the marathon organisers just don't have a heart and won't somebody think of the children.

So no, it really shouldn't ever happen as it's not worth the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

robinph wrote: »
    Nothing too complicated in setting up a system to do that.

The totally impossible thing to administer though is the punters who then start mouthing off on social media that they stubbed their toe the evening before the marathon and their dog chewed their mobile phone so they had to borrow someone else phone which had the wrong colour case so didn't look cool enough and they obviously couldn't use that in public so had to wait until 1 minute past the deadline to apply for a place in the refund queue and so they lost out on getting their money back which they needed to pay for looking after their sick hamster and how the marathon organisers just don't have a heart and won't somebody think of the children.

So no, it really shouldn't ever happen as it's not worth the bother.

As a matter of interest, Robin, what notice was given for the refund/sell-back window this year? I've checked my mails and although obviously there was some notice somewhere - possibly in the Ts & Cs when I signed up, I honestly don't think a reminder email issued at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Out of curiosity how to London Marathon Deferrals work?

If I decide to pull out of 2020 and go for 2021 instead and defer my spot do I have to pay again or do I only pay for 1 place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

^This.

I basically only use Facebook to keep track of races, club events etc. and the amount of people ranting into the void is unreal.

And at the core of every rant is "it's cheaper to go to Amsterdam/Berlin etc".

Sure, if you want to stay in a 4* Hotel on the finish line in Dublin for 2 nights of a Bank Holiday weekend it's going to be pricey but that isn't the only option

As a matter of interest, Robin, what notice was given for the refund/sell-back window this year? I've checked my mails and although obviously there was some notice somewhere - possibly in the Ts & Cs when I signed up, I honestly don't think a reminder email issued at all.

Not sure about this year, was 2017 where family robinph had multiple entries but only used one.
    Out of curiosity how to London Marathon Deferrals work?

If I decide to pull out of 2020 and go for 2021 instead and defer my spot do I have to pay again or do I only pay for 1 place?

Yes, you have to pay the entry fee again, no refunds, can only defer a place once, if it's a GFA place then you need to still have a valid GFA time for the 2021 race but are exempt from being caught out by any over subscription that causes a reduction in the entry time.

eg Needed a sub 3 for applying for GFA for 2020, the number of places allocated meant that a 2:58:xx was actually required but you get in with a 2:57.
    Defer your place but your 2:57 time is now too old to count, you do have a 2:59:59 though which does count. The 2021 GFA cut off ends up being 2:58:xx again for 2021, but you would still get in with your deferred place and time of 2:59:59.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cartman78 wrote: »
    ^This.

I basically only use Facebook to keep track of races, club events etc. and the amount of people ranting into the void is unreal.

And at the core of every rant is "it's cheaper to go to Amsterdam/Berlin etc".

Sure, if you want to stay in a 4* Hotel on the finish line in Dublin for 2 nights of a Bank Holiday weekend it's going to be pricey but that isn't the only option

I always laugh at this suggestion,
    I drive up to Dublin on race day, do the race and drive back.
    So it costs me about 20e diesel, 0 for parking and the entry fee for DCM....I might get a subway before I head home.
    No international marathon can beat that price.

It actually costs me more if I do the Connemara Marathon in April as I stay in a B&B the night before it :pac:

Overall I'm finding much of the comments on facebook etc amusing, you'd swear DCM is the only marathon in the country yet there's one almost every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cabaal wrote: »
    Overall I'm finding much of the comments on facebook etc amusing, you'd swear DCM is the only marathon in the country yet there's one almost every weekend.

That, and the quite common suggestion that the DCM organisers are completely inept and don't know what they're doing. :rolleyes:

Very true, question is have Dublin Marathon taken this into account? Probably not.

Why should they bother, people who want to b1tch and moan will find a time/place/platform.

I could understand people being disappointed at not securing a place, but people had a MONTH to sign up. A frigging month. This is not Glastonbury tickets or whatever, they had a month to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Why should they bother, people who want to b1tch and moan will find a time/place/platform.

I could understand people being disappointed at not securing a place, but people had a MONTH to sign up. A frigging month. This is not Glastonbury tickets or whatever, they had a month to decide.

The getting irate at people being irate from you is getting a bit repetitive and also a bit hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bmc58

tunney wrote: »
    Wonder will it affect popularity - having to wait until January to know if you can get in or not...

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/

Athletics is under a huge cloud of suspicion just like cycling.I have lost interest in both,sadly.

bmc58 wrote: »
    Athletics is under a huge cloud of suspicion just like cycling.I have lost interest in both,sadly.

Not sure what any issues with cheating in elite sports has to do with mass participation amateur sporting events popularity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Sorry I'm not sure if I have you.
    Someone on the hopeful queue, they could find out say 4 days before DCM that they have a place?
    Should they have been training anyway just in case? Do you think people will train for a marathon on the off chance that they will get an entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That, and the quite common suggestion that the DCM organisers are completely inept and don't know what they're doing. :rolleyes:

So, my Dublin marathon experience thus far.

2017: volunteered. Great experience. I wish I could do that sort of distance!
    2018: volunteered. Great experience. I'm up to half-marathon distance. Y'know, I really should...
    2019: volunteered, Great experience. Dammit, I'm signing up!
    2020: oh - the organisers have announced it was all going to be lottery (except for elites and GFA club entries). But at least they'll have made some provision for volunt-- oh. No. Nothing for volunteers. We get to enter the lottery too.

Wait, there's a backlash from people who've run before... Look, the organisers are making an announcement about past runners getting entries? At least now they can accommodate volunteers... ah. No. Nothing again!

So yeah, given the above, the fact it isn't Glastonbury and tickets didn't sell out for something like 40 days last year, and the really short return window meaning only 17500 out of 22500 started... then yeah, I can at least understand why people are genuinely pissed off with the organisers.

If the lottery thing is because they want to grow to 25000 or 27500 and need to alter the course - fine, come out and say that. Don't try to generate "sold out" hype when there's no need. It leaves a poor taste in the mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

2020: oh - the organisers have announced it was all going to be lottery (except for elites and GFA club entries). But at least they'll have made some provision for volunt-- oh. No. Nothing for volunteers. We get to enter the lottery too.

I do get it that its frustrating for you but they can't cover every single eventuality, if they were to give priority to DCM volunteers then what about the rest of the race series volunteers for example?

Again there are plenty of other marathons, if it was the only marathon then I could understand people's frustration more.

2018: volunteered. Great experience. I'm up to half-marathon distance. Y'know, I really should...

Wait, there's a backlash from people who've run before... Look, the organisers are making an announcement about past runners getting entries? At least now they can accommodate volunteers... ah. No. Nothing again!

So yeah, given the above, the fact it isn't Glastonbury and tickets didn't sell out for something like 40 days last year, and the really short return window meaning only 17500 out of 22500 started... then yeah, I can at least understand why people are genuinely pissed off with the organisers.

If the lottery thing is because they want to grow to 25000 or 27500 and need to alter the course - fine, come out and say that. Don't try to generate "sold out" hype when there's no need. It leaves a poor taste in the mouth.

And the organisers, with the exception of 1 person, are "volunteers" too? Does that not matter?

The getting irate at people being irate from you is getting a bit repetitive and also a bit hypocritical.

Oh no, are you outraged? Straight onto social media with you, loads of likes and whingers to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well you now know the simple answer, don't volunteer next year unless they give you a spot.

This could back fire on DCM, as they might not get as many volunteers from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

event wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not sure if I have you.
    Someone on the hopeful queue, they could find out say 4 days before DCM that they have a place?
    Yes
    Should they have been training anyway just in case?
    Yes
    Do you think people will train for a marathon on the off chance that they will get an entry?
    Yes.

They could show you all the statistics.
    Like your place in the queue, how many slots have come available per day over the last year, your % chance of actually getting in.

It wouldn't be a flawless system but it would lead to a lot less unused entries.

Well you now know the simple answer, don't volunteer next year unless they give you a spot.

This could back fire on DCM, as they might not get as many volunteers from now on

Or
    People will continue to volunteer out of the goodness of their hearts because they don't expect stuff in return other then the free swag (t-shirts/jackets) and knowing they are part of something that encourages people to get out and run.

You know, for the love of the sport :D

Sometimes people just volunteer with stuff to make a difference, to ensure their town, city or village have events which otherwise might not happen.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Or
    People will continue to volunteer out of the goodness of their hearts because they don't expect stuff in return other then the free swag (t-shirts/jackets) and knowing they are part of something that encourages people to get out and run.

You know, for the love of the sport :D

Sometimes people just volunteer with stuff to make a difference, to ensure their town, city or village have events which otherwise might not happen.

Spot on. Volunteer - "a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task".

If people thought the DCM was struggling for volunteers, I bet they would think nothing of becoming one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Yes
    Yes

Yes.

They could show you all the statistics.
    Like your place in the queue, how many slots have come available per day over the last year, your % chance of actually getting in.

It wouldn't be a flawless system but it would lead to a lot less unused entries.

I would argue opposite. There is no way I would train for a marathon when I don't have an entry. I'm not sure if many others would either tbh.

I would argue opposite. There is no way I would train for a marathon when I don't have an entry. I'm not sure if many others would either tbh.

It would depend how likely I thought it was that I would get an entry. If I thought there was a good chance I would get an entry from a drop-out, I would. If I thought it was very unlikely, I wouldn't.

• Advertisement

I might be constantly training for a marathon and in a position where I could decide to do one on a whim with a couple of weeks notice (mostly in order to have time to sort out transport options). But I wouldn't be leaving an empty space in my marathon calendar without a marathon booked up just on the off chance that one might become available.

It happened that I ran Berlin this year on a weeks notice in order to help someone else out, but I wouldn't have been training for Berlin as my target marathon in the hope that a place would become available, I'd have found another event to run instead if I'd not had a place.

Advertisement