Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Murph_D wrote: »
    New York Marathon, Boston Marathon, even the London marathon are not-for-profits. Profit? It depends what you mean. Yes, they generate a surplus, but that is not ‘pocketed’ by the top brass, it’s redistributed according to the aims of the generally charitable organisations owning the races. This information is all readily available. There is no reason I know of to suspect that Dublin is profit driven. Anyone with access to corporate databases can get their annual filings with the CRO, abridged accounts etc. If there were a bunch of people at the top living large off the surplus (if there even is a surplus) they would soon find themselves in difficulty recruiting the thousands of volunteers needed to actually stage the event. And so would those other, much larger, events listed above.

Whatever about how Dublin Marathon has handled the events of the past week - and no one could argue that they haven’t acted a little unpredictably - to jump from that to the kind of statements made above and in your other posts is simply irrational.

all of the above listed marathons have dedicated staff that are employed and earn a wage.

does anybody who is associated with the dublin marathon earn any type of wage for services provided?

if so, a certain SLA should be in place without the mess that it is with the series and the DCM itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

two totally irrelevant posts. both again patronising.

do certain personnel make money from the marathon and therefore it should be ensure it decent administrative levels should be provided to paying customers? yes.

are there very good dedicated volunteer staff that get paid nothing and provide quality service? yes.

I'm getting a headache repeating myself.

Do the people you are referring to who make money have any dealings from the administrative perspective? Customer Service and front line are the volunteers so your point about contractors making money is irrelevant.

You might be repeating yourself but it is incoherent ramblings I am afraid. You keep alluding to the paid contractors and then pivot to the people who are actually implementing the changes and dealing with the Social Media fallout.

KSU wrote: »
    Do the people you are referring to who make money have any dealings from the administrative perspective? Customer Service and front line are the volunteers so your point about contractors making money is irrelevant.

You might be repeating yourself but it is incoherent ramblings I am afraid. You keep alluding to the paid contractors and then pivot to the people who are actually implementing the changes and dealing with the Social Media fallout.

point out the incoherent ramblings please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Anyone any idea how many applications were submitted since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

two totally irrelevant posts. both again patronising.

do certain personnel make money from the marathon and therefore it should be ensure it decent administrative levels should be provided to paying customers? yes.

are there very good dedicated volunteer staff that get paid nothing and provide quality service? yes.

I'm getting a headache repeating myself.

walshb is that you: rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

apologies walshb :D:D
    no offence meant

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    welshb is that you: rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

apologies walshb :D:D
    no offence meant

early start on the sauce today? welshb or walshb or whoever it is you have an issue with isn't me, they may have a point though. sleep it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

early start on the sauce today? welshb or walshb or whoever it is you have an issue with isn't me, they may have a point though. sleep it off.
    Not everyone is on the "sauce"
    did you ever consider having a happy meal?

Was this was some attempt at wit or some kind of put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I dont care about anyone. Ill PB in dublin 2020. Hopefully sub 3 30.
    Thats all i care about.
    I have my place already.
    The rest of you would want to cop on.
    They're doing their best!
    I I I

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not everyone is on the "sauce"

ah feck u. i want takeaway now and it's 2313.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Maybe someone can help me with this. I see the GFA times for Athletics Ireland must be achieved 'in the last three years'. When does the three years start? I mean is it 3 years from now, from October 2020, or from April 1st when the GFA places become available? Specifically , will a time from April 2017 be valid? Don't know if I want to pace, race or sit it out and would be nice not to decide until next April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭ooter

snailsong wrote: »
    Maybe someone can help me with this. I see the GFA times for Athletics Ireland must be achieved 'in the last three years'. When does the three years start? I mean is it 3 years from now, from October 2020, or from April 1st when the GFA places become available? Specifically , will a time from April 2017 be valid? Don't know if I want to pace, race or sit it out and would be nice not to decide until next April.

haven't looked in to it too deeply as I don't have the GFA time but I would imagine there would only be a 1 year window and not a 3 year window but I could be wrong, is the 3 year window not just for DCM entrants 2017-19 regardless of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ooter wrote: »
    haven't looked in to it too deeply as I don't have the GFA time but I would imagine there would only be a 1 year window and not a 3 year window but I could be wrong, is the 3 year window not just for DCM entrants 2017-19 regardless of time?

No. Website just says GFA times must have been achieved in the past three years, without specifying specific dates. No cutoff date mentioned. All very baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Murph_D wrote:
    No. Website just says GFA times must have been achieved in the past three years, without specifying specific dates. No cutoff date mentioned. All very baffling.

Any specifics on what races qualify? Any marathon atall?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Any specifics on what races qualify? Any marathon atall?

It doesn’t say! It’s all (not) there on the DM 2020 info page on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

Murph_D wrote: »
    It doesn’t say! It’s all (not) there on the DM 2020 info page on the website.

Any idea when GFA applications end?
    Manchester marathon is on the 5th of April and it could get someone the GFA time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

How does GFA work where you turn over to a new age category?

example: a 39 year man runs the 2019 Dublin Marathon in 3:04:00, good enough for the time that a 40 year old man needs in 2020 (but too slow for the 39 year old GFA time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Got an email back from eventmaster this morning with a code, no email Friday.
    If no SMS recieved you can email them with screenshots of previous entries and they will sort you out.

Reckon there won't be too many bibs left by Wednesday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

If no SMS recieved you can email them with screenshots of previous entries and they will sort you out.

If that comes to pass it will be sold out in days as opposed to weeks. And all at €93.

A masterclass in fact by the marketing people in DCM ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Peterx wrote: »
    How does GFA work where you turn over to a new age category?

example: a 39 year man runs the 2019 Dublin Marathon in the time that a 40 year old man needs in 2020 (but too slow for the 39 year old GFA time)

I doubt they have figured that out yet.

At some point last week it said the GFA time needed to have been run in the last three years, then when they tweaked the entry procedures page for the umpteenth time that line of text disappeared. Until a couple of years ago you gained an extra few minutes on your GFA qualification time if you changed age category between running the time and the date of the marathon, ie run a 3:01 as a 39 year old but then enter the V40 using that time because you had a birthday before the race day. Now they have made it so that the age category you were on the date of the qualifying run is the one that counts.

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    If that comes to pass it will be sold out in days as opposed to weeks. And all at €93.

A masterclass in fact by the marketing people in DCM ;)

At this stage once they factor in GFA and clubs you'd be luck to have 5000 for a ballot.
    If they can get 10000 ballots they would be looking at planning applications, wonder would they move to the park as soon as 2020 if it was on the table.....

A start finish area in the Phoenix Park surely would increase potential numbers to upwards of 30000.
    Would they have have to drastically change the route then though?
    Can't see how you could cross the city from south to north and keep city streets closed from 10:30 to 15:00 in later stages of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

What email address can I send screenshots to? Thanks :)

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    What email address can I send screenshots to? Thanks :)

support @ eventmaster.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I wonder if they can demonstrate huge demand for will they look to up the numbers of entries again? 25000 would probably see closer to 20000 people running it with no shows which seem to get higher as the race sells out quicker. I think the course could handle it but the bag drop would need sorting!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A start finish area in the Phoenix Park surely would increase potential numbers to upwards of 30000.
    Would they have have to drastically change the route then though?
    Can't see how you could cross the city from south to north and keep city streets closed from 10:30 to 15:00 in later stages of the race.

Just running in a straight line for more than 100m after the start line will improve things dramatically as far as capacity goes. Fast start all the way through the park, down along the quays and then take a route out around the south of the city with a final lap and a bit of the whole park at the end and finish towards the city centre end of the park.

Would need to have a few beer tents and such like setup near the finish to get the crowds of supporters out from the centre to watch and free Luas into the centre to get the runners into the bars there for more refreshments. In the park would be good for capacity and the route, but bad for the finish line support and takings at the city centre bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

20 thousand people is still a lot of people, whats the fascination with making it bigger?????????????????

TheW1zard wrote: »
    20 thousand people is still a lot of people, whats the fascination with making it bigger?????????????????

More money from sponsors, better facilities can then be provided to runners, cheaper deal on the tshirts and medals, more people spending money in Dublin, happier Dublin Council and shops and hotels, similar costs for closing roads and paying for support staff if not cheaper if in the park as less roads closed for the duration so less policing needed to close the roads.

More runners and bigger sponsors then means bigger status runners come to race as you have a better event to offer them, aka more prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

The effect of the lottery & then the guaranteed entry for running one of the last three events worked on my friend in Dublin as he entered yesterday. Going to be running with him so entered myself this morning, that's two places gone from the lottery number that probably wouldn't even have bothered if they hadn't created the FOMO effect :)

Btw I've heard from few friends they got multiple entry codes via email. Will be interesting to see how many places are left for anyone entering the actual lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I would hate to see the marathon finish in the Phoenix Park, the biggest loss to the marathon was the part around Trinity and onto Nassau Street, and the wall of noise the streets around there created. That has been lost I think with the new finish line. It is nowhere near as noisy around the finishing line as it was back then.
    If anything, it needs more of it to be in the city centre, the part through the Phoenix Part is the worst part of the marathon in my view.

• Advertisement

I would hate to see the marathon finish in the Phoenix Park, the biggest loss to the marathon was the part around Trinity and onto Nassau Street, and the wall of noise the streets around there created. That has been lost I think with the new finish line. It is nowhere near as noisy around the finishing line as it was back then.
    If anything, it needs more of it to be in the city centre, the part through the Phoenix Part is the worst part of the marathon in my view.

I agree Nassau Street was a brilliant finishing straight to have, they years where they took out the turn and finished on Merrion Sq north were the best, around 2012.
    I can't ever see larger numbers there unless they reintroduce the turn around by Pearse St and bring us around by Trinity.
    That way they can use the current finish straight and south canal as baggage areas etc.
    Can't see DCC giving back the road closures for Pearse St. / Trinity / Nassau St though.

I think the Park is the only way that the Guards and DCC will allow them go upwards of 30000

Advertisement