Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

opus wrote: »
    The effect of the lottery & then the guaranteed entry for running one of the last three events worked on my friend in Dublin as he entered yesterday. Going to be running with him so entered myself this morning, that's two places gone from the lottery number that probably wouldn't even have bothered if they hadn't created the FOMO effect :)

Btw I've heard from few friends they got multiple entry codes via email. Will be interesting to see how many places are left for anyone entering the actual lottery.

I nearly did it too but narrowly managed to resist the FOMO effect, the female GFA times are relatively soft so if I decide I want to run by the new year I'll just go run the GFA and enter the championship route, assume they will have still kept x amount of entries for national champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If what people say is true that it could end with a ballot of 5000 entries, it could be easier to get an entry to Chicago, which is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

kilns wrote: »
    If what people say is true that it could end with a ballot of 5000 entries, it could be easier to get an entry to Chicago, which is crazy!

They should expect the biggest refund numbers in history! People are getting caught up in the hype!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

kilns wrote: »

But how many running each years marathon have run it within the previous three years normally? A lottery of 5000 entries between 10,000 people who haven't run in the previous three years or got a GFA time isn't all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just a quick note for any club runners who might have registered and didn't have their official AAI number to hand....this can be added in after you registered.

E-mailed the Support Team today and it was sorted out almost immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

robinph wrote: »
    But how many running each years marathon have run it within the previous three years normally? A lottery of 5000 entries between 10,000 people who haven't run in the previous three years or got a GFA time isn't all that bad.

Its just getting hyped up, people who dont know if they will run next year probably took their gauranteed entry and people will enter the lottery just to enter a lottery.

I hope they wont have egg on their faces when around 25% or more of entries dont show up on the day

btw I am in the lottery so hoping to get in

Also in New York lottery and Chicago (Chicago you have a 53% chance of getting an entry)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just a quick note for any club runners who might have registered and didn't have their official AAI number to hand....this can be added in after you registered.

good man. I couldn't remember my number and panicked so just registered without a club attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Cartman78 wrote: »

Can it be assumed then if you gave them your club name and AAI number that you are automatically entered in the Nationals?

Can it be assumed then if you gave them your club name and AAI number that you are automatically entered in the Nationals?

Wouldn't count on it. Your club will still have to submit the names/teams next September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Given the state of the rollout so far... I wouldn't be surprised to hear that lottery entrants are excluded, and you can only qualify for the national marathon via GFA...

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

So if they do the last 3 years thing, does this mean that they will do it next year also. So for me i entered as I might do it. It's 50/50 tbh at this stage. But if I don't run it then I can enter again for 21,22,23 ? So by entering in 2020 I get a place for all 3 of these?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

rom wrote: »
    So if they do the last 3 years thing, does this mean that they will do it next year also. So for me i entered as I might do it. It's 50/50 tbh at this stage. But if I don't run it then I can enter again for 21,22,23 ? So by entering in 2020 I get a place for all 3 of these?

I'd say this is something that will definitely not exist for next years entry. They would very quickly need to make it a lottery between people who had entered in the previous three years as people would do what you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

The DCM novice thread next year won't be very busy!

Just done my entry after having got the codes through yesterday afternoon and a bit of haggling as to if we were both going to enter or not.

Note that the 72 hours to enter thing doesn't apply anymore as the codes issued yesterday expire at 5pm this evening.

Just spotted that it doesn't actually state the day the marathon is on next year during the entry process. Doesn't matter for you lot as you get the day off afterwards anyway, but wanted to confirm if it will fit in with half terms etc over here.

I assume that it will be 25th October?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

I assume that it will be 25th October?

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/frequently-asked-questions/
    > What is the date of the race for 2020?
    SUNDAY 25th October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The DCM novice thread next year won't be very busy!

Its all hype, I bet you there will be lots of entry to go around when the refunds kick in.

Its all hype, I bet you there will be lots of entry to go around when the refunds kick in.

Would expect so, I reckon anyone who decides they want to run by next summer will be able to pick up an entry, a legit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Would expect so, I reckon anyone who decides they want to run by next summer will be able to pick up an entry, a legit one.

Fingers crossed! I ran 2016 so missed out on any guaranteed entry code but I've signed up for the lottery now and am thinking positive thoughts. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

When does the refund kick in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

When does the refund kick in?

First two weeks of June.

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Any word on how many entries were taken up to last night?
    Priority entry is gone now so I'm sure they could set aside club and GFA allocations and confirm the ballot figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Would need to have a few beer tents and such like setup near the finish to get the crowds of supporters out from the centre to watch and free Luas into the centre to get the runners into the bars there for more refreshments. In the park would be good for capacity and the route, but bad for the finish line support and takings at the city centre bars.

How do you have the LUAS running and the marathon running at the same time?

Really disappointed with the cynicism from the DCM organisers on this. I could understand if it sold out within a day or a couple of hours like Electric Picnic, but it was weeks before they sold out this year. So it's a marketing ploy to generate demand and hype.

And no provision at all made for volunteers from 2019 or earlier who wanted to run in 2020 - that really sucks.

How do you have the LUAS running and the marathon running at the same time?

Just send the runners along that bit of the course early on in the route and you only have to shut it down for a couple of hours. By the time the finishers come into the park from the other direction it's all up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Are the “Good for age” standards only for Athletics Ireland members or can anyone with a qualifying time apply?

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Are the “Good for age” standards only for Athletics Ireland members or can anyone with a qualifying time apply?

Under the version of the rules they currently have it's for AI members only, and you need to have been a paid up member before the end of the December 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

I received confirmation from Dublin Marathon organisers yesterday that all AAI members who have a GFA time in past 3 yrs and apply in the April window will receive a place. If more people apply than current allocated places to AAI, they will take places from the refunds and reallocate them to AAI. However they believe sufficient places are allocated currently that this will not be required. Not sure when the 3 yr window opens, but believe it will be flexible and they expect AAI members with times outside the GFA's to apply also.
    Also they are planning on pushing out the refund date from start of June to later...didnt get details on the extension length but I imagine a month at least. They wanted to verify that the process would work last yr and there was an appeal for it, and will refine it this year.
    Overall I got the feeling that DCM are trying to ensure as many AAI members as possible are able to enter DCM 2020 for the national championships

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Under the version of the rules they currently have it's for AI members only, and you need to have been a paid up member before the end of the December 2019.

You need to be registered for 2020 by January 3rd according to the current rules. Not sure how this is going to work as clubs need to register athletes once they pay their fees but have until Jan 3rd to register them with AAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'm not sure how much faith (if any) you can place in a Facebook poll...but I saw one earlier from Running In Ireland asking people that received entry codes if they had entered or not.

There was about 800 votes when I looked and the results were roughly 55% had entered for 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Talking to a guy at my local parkrun yesterday and he entered again for 2020 but is still undecided, he'll make his decision in April before the refunds kick in and is looking at it as a cost of €20 to keep a place if he needs it (cost - 70% refund).
    I think a lot of people will do this which will skew any previous data of people running in consecutive years. Someone still on the fence will sign up knowing they have a guaranteed entry and can back out. This will leave very few places left for the lottery but a lot more places will open up after the refund window, cue a lot of angry people in January!!

Advertisement