Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

cmcm3 wrote: »
    Come on though, Ferrybank to Dungarvan is hardly the other side of the county.
    Tallow/Ballyduff/Ballymacarbry etc. to Passage/Ballygunnar/Tramore etc. are a big enough old drive, maybe an 1hr15 at that time of the evening.

Simple solution, east play east and west play west for midweek fixtures and then the long journeys can be saved for weekend fixtures on a home and away basis so you only travel once every two weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

How often would these extend journeys have to be made? One maybe twice a year!! Not enough of an excuse to hold back WATERFORD Gaa which the East west decide is doing. We need to change the mentality first.
    Obi1mikal wrote: »
    Simple solution, east play east and west play west for midweek fixtures and then the long journeys can be saved for weekend fixtures on a home and away basis so you only travel once every two weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cmcm3

I'd actually favour getting rid of the eastern/western boards.
    Organise U13 up to Adult at all county level, keep the geograpical split at the U11/U12 grades.
    I think most of the primary competitions underage were all county this year anyway- u13/u15/u17 hurling were anyway.

Biggest problem I see at underage is the winter period which is realistically 6 months october through to march. Clubs aren't really doing anything and there seems to be very few matches organised in primary schools.

I wonder would it be feasible for the county board to build another couple of all-weather pitches in the county along with the 1 in Carriganore and run a club winter league / play school games on them over the winter months?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Organise U13 up to Adult at all county level, keep the geograpical split at the U11/U12 grades.
    I think most of the primary competitions underage were all county this year anyway- u13/u15/u17 hurling were anyway.

Biggest problem I see at underage is the winter period which is realistically 6 months october through to march. Clubs aren't really doing anything and there seems to be very few matches organised in primary schools.

I wonder would it be feasible for the county board to build another couple of all-weather pitches in the county along with the 1 in Carriganore and run a club winter league / play school games on them over the winter months?

Not being funny. They can’t afford to rent it - literally. Let alone build there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BloodyBill wrote: »
    If Ballygunnar come out of Sixmilebridge with a win then I think they ll win the All Ireland. That's how much of a litmus test it will be. It's a fantastic pitch to play on and a scenic ground right in the middle of the rolling hills of South East Clare. I wish I could be there. The one team that won there is Na Piarsaigh and they were 9 down at half time so it can be done. I think this is a better team than a few years ago and it should be a humdinger.

You are getting carried away here big time mr Bill.......if BG do win then its limerick champs next followed by Tipp r cork.....’rolling hills of south east clare’.....that will have a huge bearing in result alright........by the way which team are you saying is a better team than a few years ago...SMB r BG......will ‘gilly’ be starting..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Junior A finals day tomorrow

Sat 2nd Nov
    Junior A hurling final- Ballydurn vs St Mary's- Walsh Park 2pm

Junior A Football final- Ballyduff Lower vs Shamrocks- Fraher Field 7pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Does that mean you want a 12 month long season with the kids getting no break?
    The gaa is great lads but it's taken way to serious at all levels.fair enough at top level but to keep numbers ya have to provide for all levels of commitment.It's like having another job even playing junior and that's why a lot of teams are struggling to field. People can enjoy playing soccer because all levels of commitment / training are provided for but at some gaa clubs if you smile or chat during training that's it your not taking it serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

Buff Egan is down in Dungarvan today for The Kerry champions Causeway v Ballysaggart Munster intermediate clash.

He will be streaming it live on his Snapchat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

conor05 wrote: »
    Buff Egan is down in Dungarvan today for The Kerry champions Causeway v Ballysaggart Munster intermediate clash.

He will be streaming it live on his Snapchat.

That game has really captured your imagination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ballysaggart win 2-14 to 0-15

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ballygunner win 1-21 to 0-12

Massive wins for both clubs

Great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Fair play to Ballygunner. Everyone in Sixmilebridge today were complimentary of them. A fine team with some great talent. Unfortunately Sixmilebridge were miles off the standard and their whole setup for the game was wrong. Clare radio were singing the praises of Hutchinson, Hogan and Sheehan ... and many more. Hard listening from a Clare perspective but Sixmilebridge love proper hurling teams and that's what the Gunners are

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

From the bit I saw on Buff's snapchat, it looked like Stephen Bennett put in a massive performance and was all over the field with some vital interventions at the back. Great to see his form continue. Worrying to see Shane helped off so hopefully he can recover quickly. Does anyone know how he's been going at centre back?

Sounds like a great win for Ballygunner and another good day for Dessie. Bigger test next weekend I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

From the bit I saw on Buff's snapchat, it looked like Stephen Bennett put in a massive performance and was all over the field with some vital interventions at the back. Great to see his form continue. Worrying to see Shane helped off so hopefully he can recover quickly. Does anyone know how he's been going at centre back?

Sounds like a great win for Ballygunner and another good day for Dessie. Bigger test next weekend I'd imagine.

Some gas moments on that Buff Egan coverage, particularly when the Ballysaggart sub that was sent off, a he was coming off the field he was embraced with a big hug and a smile from the manager. As if to say 'that’s my boy, your a hero for pulling a wild dirty stroke'!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Some solo run by Barry coughlan yesterday pity he didn't get to finish it to the net but dessie Hutchinson did. Serious display from ballygunner. There stick work and heads up play shows how to take advantage of having light nippy forwards. Patrickswell will be a tougher test next week

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

debok wrote: »
    Some solo run by Barry coughlan yesterday pity he didn't get to finish it to the net but dessie Hutchinson did. Serious display from ballygunner. There stick work and heads up play shows how to take advantage of having light nippy forwards. Patrickswell will be a tougher test next week
    Dessie's first touch was on another level altogether considering the conditions. Surely on the Waterford panel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Dessie's first touch was on another level altogether considering the conditions. Surely on the Waterford panel!!

I'd be surprised if he isnt starting come championship

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Interesting tweet from Dermot Keyes asking why Waterford dont honour jubilee teams at the hurling and football county finals.

Is it finances or poor planning or another reason, does anybody know??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    Interesting tweet from Dermot Keyes asking why Waterford dont honour jubilee teams at the hurling and football county finals.

Is it finances or poor planning or another reason, does anybody know??

Lack of interest from the county board to do anything they don’t have to I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

They can hardly get two teams to turn up to play in a county final nevermind a jubilee team. Actually here's an idea, get the finalists from 25 years ago to play each other in the curtain raiser, might bring a few more in the gate

Anyone see Barry Coughlan's run that led up to Dessie Hutchs goal? Saw a twitter link posted on facebook somewhere. Poor defending but was some run and almost a goal that Aussie would have been in awe of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Lack of interest from the county board to do anything they don’t have to I’d say.

We had the band back this year which was a plus

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Anyone see Barry Coughlan's run that led up to Dessie Hutchs goal? Saw a twitter link posted on facebook somewhere. Poor defending but was some run and almost a goal that Aussie would have been in awe of.

It was the 21st century version of the Red Sea opening. There was a similar run in the second half. Dont see it happening against Patrickswell.

It might take Dessie Hutchinson a while to get used to the speed of the intercounty hurling game but hopefully he will. Such a prospect, he should be as fit as a fiddle been a former soccer player with a premier league club

He would be hoping to coming into the squad in Feb 2020 after finishing the campaign with Ballygunner (AI series is in Jan 2020 now) Will prob be in the squad for the Munster league games if they are not involved in the AI series. Same for the Bennett brothers

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    It was the 21st century version of the Red Sea opening. There was a similar run in the second half. Dont see it happening against Patrickswell.

No chance of that. It will be some competitive game I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It might take Dessie Hutchinson a while to get used to the speed of the intercounty hurling game but hopefully he will. Such a prospect, he should be as fit as a fiddle been a former soccer player with a premier league club

He would be hoping to coming into the squad in Feb 2020 after finishing the campaign with Ballygunner (AI series is in Jan 2020 now) Will prob be in the squad for the Munster league games if they are not involved in the AI series. Same for the Bennett brothers

Speed and physicality. Not just being hit, but continuously being hit, and hitting back, in a high tempo game at that level will be something you can't really prepare for.

I knw Ardmore are the only waterford club side to win an All Ireland title (2017/18) but how many were beaten in AI semis/QFs in recent years

Ballygunner last season in the senior
    Lismore a few years ago in an Intermediate I think

Was it Modeligo or/and Cappaquinn lost ones too recently??

Ballysaggart beaten in a junior AI final in 2013/14 or the year after in a replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I knw Ardmore are the only waterford club side to win an All Ireland title (2017/18) but how many were beaten in AI semis/QFs in recent years

Ballygunner last season in the senior
    Lismore a few years ago in an Intermediate I think

Was it Modeligo or/and Cappaquinn lost ones too recently??

Ballysaggart beaten in a junior AI final in 2013/14 or the year after in a replay

At underage level, Waterford club sides would have won All Ireland U14 titles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement