Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can’t wait, best show on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Looks good, but like a totally different show. I'm not sure if this will mean better or worse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It could do with some humanity though, so moving into the real world could be a good idea: among Westworld's faults, it doesn't actually have any human characters worth a damn. The Man in Black was an enigma with vague existential motivations but zero relatable, tangible motivation. The show could do with at least putting forward a few humans who aren't complete ciphers or just plain rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They absolutely lost the run of themselves in Season 2, made it as uncohesive as possible to throw people off the story twists rather than letting the characters stories play out. They got too clever with it and ruined the entire flow of the season imo. It was still mostly great, with some great scenes and performances, and I'm thinking of rewatching season 1 and 2 in the near future and hopefully season 2 will be better on a rewatch knowing more of what's happening. But my main hope for Season 3 is that even if they bring it in a whole new direction, they don't try so hard to hide pretty standard twists by wrapping them up in tricks to throw everyone off the scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

On the Brazil HBO youtube channel early! :)

San Diego Comic Con Trailer:

Phew! What a trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That looks impressive.

Official HBO channel now:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't need to watch that trailer, the thumbnail has confirmed for me that Maeve is ok. Phew! Literally the only character in this withholdingly waffling show I ever gave a damn about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Man, between this and watchmen, HBO have some epic stuff on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't like the wait between seasons, but at least with this you had to wait a couple of years as well between season 1 and 2 as well. So this is not something new, with GoT it seemed to me the break made things worse as it allowed the hype to build and expectations to boil over.

I can understand the reasons if the difficult production is one of them. So they would have to design a future world and WW2 as well. That would take some work to get it right and at least we know the production will be top notch, even when the writing falls down.

Hrrmm... re-watching that trailer..

Has Dolores figured out a way of implanting those black ai-mind pearl balls into people?
    Could it be that she has put the mind of Teddy into Charlotte Hale (Tessa Thompson)?

Big Tech Robots in the trailer...

This season could well be the Rise of the Machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's a bit hit and miss but I'll stick with it. Trailer looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They just announced it will be an 8 episode season.

They just announced it will be an 8 episode season.

:eek: Only 8?

Mankind is doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good. Season 2 dragged.

Hopefully the narrative beds down into something more coherent and less intentionally withholding and convoluted. Am hopeful that being set in the real world, the temptation to fill the season with abstract waffling will be lesser.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hopefully the narrative beds down into something more coherent and less intentionally withholding and convoluted. Am hopeful that being set in the real world, the temptation to fill the season with abstract waffling will be lesser.

I think they've already said this season will be less of a mystery kind of thing, compared to last season where they went to extreme lengths to make things as confusing as possible to hide fairly bog standard plot twists.

That, plus 8 episodes makes me hopeful for this season. Westworld could be a great show and season 1 was so goddamn good, but season 2 despite its high points was largely an over-indulgent mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think he (The Critical Drinker) nailed it, great first series, second series, far too confusing timelines, irrelevant side plot into non West World parts of the park , topped of with Mary Sue robots.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Some kind of campaign video for season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I think Season 3 for me will be wait for it all to be released and then watch it all together.

silverharp wrote: »
    I think he (The Critical Drinker) nailed it, great first series, second series, far too confusing timelines, irrelevant side plot into non West World parts of the park , topped of with Mary Sue robots.

I'll watch this in a minute, but something I realized when starting a re-watch of season 1 was, it's revelaed that Man in Black has been going to the park for years not just as a guest but as part of its management team, so the idea that he was on some big quest to find the secret of the maze in season one either made no sense or showed him up as being a really pathetic character.

Its like the CEO of Blizzard (makers of World of Warcraft) spending his vacation time playing World of Warcraft. Dude, get a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I'll watch this in a minute, but something I realized when starting a re-watch of season 1 was, it's revelaed that Man in Black has been going to the park for years not just as a guest but as part of its management team, so the idea that he was on some big quest to find the secret of the maze in season one either made no sense or showed him up as being a really pathetic character.

Its like the CEO of Blizzard (makers of World of Warcraft) spending his vacation time playing World of Warcraft. Dude, get a life!

What I took from that was that his initial experience in the park (in young William guise) was what caused his change into the more ruthless - and perhaps downright bad - 'Man in Black'. So he kept returning to the park as it was the only place he could be himself and carry out whatever heinous acts he wanted to that he couldn't in real life. I think his being part of the management team was only a means to an end for him.

To use your analogy, it would be more like the CEO of Blizzard being obsessed with WOW prior to owning it, then buying the company so he could obsess over it even more and mould it as he saw fit. Definitely someone who needs to get a life, but the obsessive and relentless nature is what makes him interesting as a character.

What I took from that was that his initial experience in the park (in young William guise) was what caused his change into the more ruthless - and perhaps downright bad - 'Man in Black'. So he kept returning to the park as it was the only place he could be himself and carry out whatever heinous acts he wanted to that he couldn't in real life. I think his being part of the management team was only a means to an end for him.

To use your analogy, it would be more like the CEO of Blizzard being obsessed with WOW prior to owning it, then buying the company so he could obsess over it even more and mould it as he saw fit. Definitely someone who needs to get a life, but the obsessive and relentless nature is what makes him interesting as a character.

Agreed. Plus he came to discover that Arnold had hidden some kind of mystery within the park, and he became obsessed with trying to find it. It's just that it wasn't a mystery for him, but rather intended for the hosts, to lead them to discover consciousness. In many ways though it was just a way for him to continue entering the park and living what had really become his true self.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Syfy channel is showing season 1 starting Monday, 6th January, with a double-bill from 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Coming back on March 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,592 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sky Atlantic on Monday, 16th of March

• Advertisement

Final(?) trailer popped up; don't want to get too hyped, but this trailer makes it look like all that labyrinthine, withholding bullsh*t might finally be gone. Might actually have a "proper" story and pacing.

Advertisement