Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

PetKing wrote: »
    But they're alive. It said so on that TV I just warched for 2 seasons.

Nonsense you say... With zero vested interest in any hosts wellbeing, what drives your motivation to watch Westworld?
    For better or worse, it's ambitious television, even if I find it to be mostly silly, especially the second season. I would like to see a ruthless human character just kill all the hosts, but I'll settle for watching the humans make incredibly stupid decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Raping and murdering humans is bad, acting out fantasies on a piece of tech, not so much. All these sci-fi stories based on "don't hurt the robots, they have feelings, they should have rights, too" are nonsense. If it were to happen in real life, it brings on the downfall of humans, more than any war between humans.

Not necessarily. People get attached to inanimate objects all the time. If it was something as complex as a host, with learning capabilities, the ability to understand loss and love, then it should move out of this category of "machine" and at least be allowed the right to live a life of peace.

It happened in Bicentennial Man!

brevity wrote: »
    Not necessarily. People get attached to inanimate objects all the time. If it was something as complex as a host, with learning capabilities, the ability to understand loss and love, then it should move out of this category of "machine" and at least be allowed the right to live a life of peace.

It happened in Bicentennial Man!
    Again, it's all sci-fi fiction nonsense. They're fun to think about, but the hosts in Westworld are extremely unrealistic. Sure, maybe some incels could find something to "love" that they think "loves" them back. But give those machines equal rights to real humans, and it's the end of humanity as we know it.

I did enjoy Bicentennial Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hopefully they'll keep up the tradition of ending each season with a Radiohead song.

What song did season one end with?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

nc6000 wrote: »
    What song did season one end with?

Instrumental version of Exit Music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

After really enjoying S1 this season was a big drop in quality apart from a few exceptions (the Akecheta episode was a highlight). This review from a critic I really enjoy (Alan Sepinwall) summed up a lot of my reaction to S2 : 'Westworld' : what the hell happened to this show in Season 2? In particular this quote from the review hit the nail on the head for me with S2's flaws..
    This time, we were told early and often, if a character died, be they human or robot, it was for real. In theory, this should have given everything more weight. But in short order it turned out that dead was only mostly dead ... and often not even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was good. I watched it kinda in two halves. Maeves story and Delores story. Looking forward to season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Really took a nosedive in quality for me I have no interest in the show anymore when season 3 starts I’ll give it a shot but I’m certainly not anticipating its comeback like I was at the end of the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I feel so lost on Mondays now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Was hoping the finale would redeem the season but very disappointing again. 5/10 for me for Season 2.

Boring, slow, excessive use of timelines, complex story lines and a plot bordering on the ridiculous, hammy acting in parts. In short, a complete mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Grassey wrote: »
    I feel so lost on Mondays now

Yup there’s nothing on TV that comes anywhere close to Westworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

Started off well with the first three or four episodes, but then declined in the second half, excluding episode 8 with Akecheta because that was outstanding. I usually follow timelines pretty well in TV series, but this season was a bit of a drill to watch. Nowhere near as good as season one and I have no interest in seeing the hosts outside of the park if that's the direction they're going.
    Yup there’s nothing on TV that comes anywhere close to Westworld.

The Expanse is up there, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Relikk wrote: »
    I have no interest in seeing the hosts outside of the park if that's the direction they're going.

I'm guessing Maeve and the rest get reset and the park re-opens, likely with new hosts and people in new roles etc. Likely only Dolores, Bernard and whichever host brain is in Charlotte will be outside the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Penn wrote:
    I'm guessing Maeve and the rest get reset and the park re-opens, likely with new hosts and people in new roles etc. Likely only Dolores, Bernard and whichever host brain is in Charlotte will be outside the park.

Dolores had 5 host pearls with her when she left the park...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

I found the series terribly confusing and in constant danger of disappearing up its own arse. Flashbacks-over used. Monologues over over used. Not enough action. Too many meaingful stares. Too serious , Poor character development outside of Maeve Im not sure I gave a **** about any of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I loved season one and the finale with Ford was just epic. Didn’t get the same feeling with this.

I was on holidays for last 3 episodes and so had them all taped and ready to go when I returned. My wife fell asleep in the last one but by then I was sort of losing interest myself.

The Hale reveal was kind of Meh and I didn’t think about the timeline implications until I read it here.

It’s not that it was bad I just didn’t find the payoff as much epic as season 1 and the thought of samurai or alternative worlds was exciting. Don’t care much for hosts in the real world as it could just morph into blade runner.

I prob missed a bunch of things but will have to reflect before going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So yeah this expired on Sky so I caught up on the final two episodes right before the deadline.

Overall I thought it was meh. I still enjoyed some of the scenes but given the budget in play that's a minimum expectation. Production has to be good and it papers over a lot of the less enticing stuff. The biggest disappointment for me was that ultimately death means nothing. Any character, possibly even human ones, is not really permanently dead and if a show is trying to take a serious tone that just never works. It get's kind of silly. Oh noes she's dead. Oh look she's alive. Oh wait now she's dead again - but it's ok because she'll be back again.

I quite enjoyed the first season. This season, episode 8 aside, was really just little more than watchable by virtue of its production. There's tv shows on far smaller scales that are much more intriguing than this. This show even has the luxury of being 10 episodes per season. That ultimately is probably why I stuck with the entire season.

Turtwig wrote: »
    The biggest disappointment for me was that ultimately death means nothing. Any character, possibly even human ones, is not really permanently dead and if a show is trying to take a serious tone that just never works. It get's kind of silly. Oh noes she's dead. Oh look she's alive. Oh wait now she's dead again - but it's ok because she'll be back again.
    Yup, all the stupid superhero shows do this too, characters return in different forms, actors return as different characters, etc. It's very silly and takes all the dramatic effect away.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

She's an anti-hero, I guess. But yeah, while I thought the dialogue was too on the nose, I liked the kind of dialectical relationship they were setting up between Dolores and Bernard. They are opposed but working toward the same thing.

Not even sure I'd call her an anti-hero, just an arsehole. There's not a whole lot beyond rage and desire for revenge for her, and **** anyone else.

Really irritated that we're going to be seeing more of Dolores as Dolores. I wouldn't mind Dolories in Hales body, because at least then we wouldn't have to put up with Wood's angry stares for another season. Wood's a better actress than Thompson, but something about her just seems off this season.

Assuming we get another season, that one wasn't a patch on the first, and was trying to be too clever by half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

They really are making a mess of the show with the long gaps between seasons, you’d nearly have to re-watch season 2 before you start season 3 (if it ever comes)
    It’s hard keep interested in something when you have to wait over a year to see the next season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

charlieIRL wrote: »
    They really are making a mess of the show with the long gaps between seasons, you’d nearly have to re-watch season 2 before you start season 3 (if it ever comes)
    It’s hard keep interested in something when you have to wait over a year to see the next season.

Yeah, the gaps between seasons are too long. Nolan/Joy have blamed it on the complexity of production etc, but I don't buy it. Other big shows are able to do it. I get the impression they are both busy with other projects and HBO are keen to drag it out as long as they can while they line up their next GOT replacement.

Next season will apparently be shorter too. 8 episodes instead of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It seems to be a common trend nowadays. Game of thrones nearly 2 years. Stranger things nearly 2 years. Better Call Saul about 18 months. The Crown over 15 months at this stage, Fargo large gaps.

It's irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Well after the dissapointment of game of thrones I'm really looking forward to this. Great teaser trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

From the trailer it looks like a very different show which has me excited as I think it needs freshening up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I eventually got around to finishing season 2 so the trailer surprised in that it feels like such a visual departure. I hope it's a thematic departure too because at the moment I'm not sure I could stomach another season of cod-philosophy dialogue instead of actual characterisation.

Bar Maeve that is, she was the best character by far and all the Dolores waffle kept getting in the way of more screentime for Thandie Newton .

Advertisement