Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ye you already posted that.... yesterday morning. Has someone wiped your memory??

Boards is checking for fidelity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

corwill wrote: »
    The QAs that Dolores and MiBilly took out from horse back were flipping hilarious. Numerical advantage, behind cover, with automatic weapons, and the two of them still swatted them aside. Corporate team-building paint ball sessions have nothing on these guys for utter uselessness.

Apart from that, head shots with pistols from that distance are ridiculous as well. Even if you are a host, pistols wouldn't be accurate enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jasonb wrote: »
    Apart from that, head shots with pistols from that distance are ridiculous as well. Even if you are a host, pistols wouldn't be accurate enough!

It's funny, I actually remember reading once that old pistols were so inaccurate that duels normally started with pistols already drawn and aimed, both men would fire all six shots, and even then they may not have hit each other. Think it said onlookers were often hit, and the smoke from the guns meant it often wasn't known if they'd hit each other until the smoke cleared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't have a problem with Dolores and the hosts being incredibly accurate shots with pistols. Given that the pistols/bullets can distinguish between humans and hosts and adjust their impact to match, they are clearly highly advanced weapons despite appearances to the contrary. Hosts would also have to be subconsciously very good shots to ensure they hit the right person and not derail a narrative. My problem is really with the human security guys, who should know all of this, constantly under-estimating the hosts and doing really dumb stuff. And the fact that Delos arrive sporting slightly better guns instead of tanks and drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

I don't have a problem with Dolores and the hosts being incredibly accurate shots with pistols. Given that the pistols/bullets can distinguish between humans and hosts and adjust their impact to match, they are clearly highly advanced weapons despite appearances to the contrary. Hosts would also have to be subconsciously very good shots to ensure they hit the right person and not derail a narrative. My problem is really with the human security guys, who should know all of this, constantly under-estimating the hosts and doing really dumb stuff. And the fact that Delos arrive sporting slightly better guns instead of tanks and drones.

That's a fair point. Even I could have reloaded a gun quicker than the guy who was reloading his while Lee was giving his speech. I mean, I get from a TV point of view that they were 'giving him time' to make his speech, but they didn't have to keep cutting back to the guy oh so slowly making a mess out of reloading a gun...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jasonb wrote: »

It's possible that in the time between now and when we develop robots that are indistinguishable from real humans that we could make more accurate pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think a lot of it probably can be explained away (the security have never had to deal with something like this, not always sure who is host or human, can't just bomb the sh*t out of everywhere because they still want to reuse the hosts and reprogramme where possible, plus it seems like a lot of this takes place in quite a short period of time). It even seems like Tall-Bald-Security-Guy (can't remember his name) wasn't even brought in at the start but beefed things up after he arrived (though many of the hosts were already dead by that point), so maybe they underestimated the scale of the issue at the start.

But yeah, they could have given the security guys a win or two to even try balance it out and make it seem like a fair fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Updated Timeline

The one thing that stood out the most to me was... That photo of juliette just sat in the dirt for 30 years and was grand?

Thats the final straw, I'm out 🀣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Soundtrack for season 2 is now on the streaming services. It’s really good!

https://lnk.to/westworld2HB

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Grassey wrote: »
    The one thing that stood out the most to me was... That photo of juliette just sat in the dirt for 30 years and was grand?

Thats the final straw, I'm out ��

We literally have found viscous dinosaur cartridge, a photograph surviving 30 years in an arid controlled environment is hardly anything out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Havockk wrote:
    We literally have found viscous dinosaur cartridge, a photograph surviving 30 years in an arid controlled environment is hardly anything out of the ordinary.

I should have used the sarcastic font to illustrate my attempt at humour over this bit of Timeline.

Anyways, it was raining in at least 1 episode, and apparently the weather is to mimic mid-west USA, so to have a fully 30 year dry spell would be absurd, lest they live in a complete desert!

Right so, moving swiftly onto the next plot hole...

To be fair, the photo of Juliet was hardly grand. It was fairly damaged and deteriorated. Should it have been worse or totally disintegrated? Maybe but it's not a plot hole. In any case, they reshot that insert later in the season (originally it was a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge), probably after they shot the Logan scene of it blowing away, so it's not like they didn't know that it was blowing around in the desert for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Question:
    So the hosts that "escaped thru the door" into that "VR world" , Where is the VR world stored? Cannot the humans just pull the plug on the server?

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Question:
    So the hosts that "escaped thru the door" into that "VR world" , Where is the VR world stored? Cannot the humans just pull the plug on the server?

It's not on a server. Delos had planned to transmit it via satellite back to Delos. But Dolores transmitted it somewhere else. Where? How? Why? We don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just watched the finale. The writers have made the whole thing overly complicated. Should probably have stopped after 1 season. HBO could have some great one off seasons. Trying to drag a story out for 4/5/6 seasons just weakens the product. I read they were losing viewers all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I loved it. Thank you Westworld creators for one brilliant show. Can't wait for Season 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The door reminded me of The Chronicles of Narnia. Onward and upward

What a mess. Slightly peeved they used Radiohead to top all that off.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Just watched the finale. The writers have made the whole thing overly complicated. Should probably have stopped after 1 season. HBO could have some great one off seasons. Trying to drag a story out for 4/5/6 seasons just weakens the product. I read they were losing viewers all season.

when a show's primary motivation is to make sure that a crowd of cultish redditors with too much time on their hands can't figure out what is going on you know that it has problems.

the ratings this year have declined. it's like inception (which was good) except it's a show up its own arse within a show that's up its own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Question:
    Windows XP 'Bliss' desktop image aka "The valley beyond":

bliss.0.png

It's possible to run Windows XP on an iPad so they could be anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

When is a timeshift twist an artistic narrative choice or a silly gimmick? In my opinion, when it's reused.

The first season Man In Black twist, was cool, this season anything to do with a timeline twist was not shocking at all, because you knew the timeline of events being shown was messed up. It's like their format is, 9 manspreading episodes of slow, non-chronological confusion, then a 90-minute "whoa" episode where everything is overly explained, in a pretentious fashion. It worked for me in Season 1, not so much for Season 2. Also, ANY twists involving, "oh that human is actually a robot, or SHOCK, that robot was actually a human!", are completely played out at this stage. If you can't tell your robot story, in a chronological order without human/robot twists (at least for one season), it's not much of a story.

Why would any human in their right mind do what the humans on this show do? Why would you help a piece of code like they do? You're possibly bringing on the downfall of humanity, idiot. A human "hurting", "killing", or "raping" a piece of tech should not be viewed the same as doing it to an actual human, even if the robot looks like a pretty woman, and she's spouting psychobabble. AI don't have rights. Skynet, people.

I hate Bernard and the way he looks over his glasses, and the ridiculous way he delivers all of his lines. That guy is rife for parody.

But overall is this a great show? I don't see anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I read this a lot in this thread. This show is at least 5 seasons long and they were all written before it even started. So this 'trying to drag out the story' line is bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Lots of people in here seem to not like the show but somehow still watch it. The show is for viewers who want to be challenged and not spoon fed every detail. They can’t stand the fact that they feel confused so blame the show for being too pretentious. I was confused as fcuk by that last episode but it was absolutely stunning television. I can’t wait to watch the whole season again and wait for everything to click.

Harambe wrote: »
    I read this a lot in this thread. This show is at least 5 seasons long and they were all written before it even started. So this 'trying to drag out the story' line is bull****.

Well that's even worse if they have a 5 year plan. Twists just for the sake of it can ruin things. Just look at the stick M Night Shyamalan gets after overdoing it.

Also HBO only recently confirmed a third season. You might say that's only keeping people guessing but if the viewing figures keep falling there won't be a 4th season. You'd be mad to think they guaranteed them 5 seasons from a pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

if the viewing figures keep falling there won't be a 4th season.

This has no bearing on whether 5 seasons have been written or not. They have.

If people don't like it they should stop watching. But what is evident from this thread is that even people who are not enjoying it are still tuning in.

I'm not saying that'll be enough viewers to get it renewed for 5 seasons but it's certainly not a flop either and HBO are obviously happy with the numbers.

Lots of people in here seem to not like the show but somehow still watch it. The show is for viewers who want to be challenged and not spoon fed every detail. They can’t stand the fact that they feel confused so blame the show for being too pretentious. I was confused as fcuk by that last episode but it was absolutely stunning television. I can’t wait to watch the whole season again and wait for everything to click.

I watch because the first season was very good television. The production values are top notch too.

Second season has been a mess. You can say it's for people who want to be challenged but they just keep changing the goalposts. You can't believe anything is actually happening as they'll just throw in a scene showing that it happened in someone's head or in a different timeline.

I'll still watch season 3 though :o

• Advertisement

Harambe wrote: »
    This has no bearing on whether 5 seasons have been written or not. They have.

If people don't like it they should stop watching. But what is evident from this thread is that even people who are not enjoying it are still tuning in.

I'm not saying that'll be enough viewers to get it renewed for 5 seasons but it's certainly not a flop either and HBO are obviously happy with the numbers.

I watched the first season and all of the second too as I wanted to see where they were going. I'll still watch it when it comes back.

But I also watched all of Oz even though that turned to sh*te.

Advertisement