Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm guessing Bernard has programmed an alternate version of himself capable of getting himself out of trouble (eg. higher aggression, skilled fighter, tactical etc), while his normal version tries to fly under the radar. Also helps him self-analyse himself by Bernard analysing his alternate.

Definitely an interesting start. Not sure I like just how advanced the outside world is, as it kinda makes Westworld redundant as a place where technology has advanced so much that would draw people into visiting it. Also did anyone feel the need to watch with subtitles? I missed a good few lines here and there and had to rewind.

I like the new additions to the cast though. I enjoy Tommy Flanagan in almost everything, John Gallagher Jr was pretty good in The Newsroom, and Pom Klementieff might be great, I enjoyed her scene. Aaron Paul did a great job too.

Be interesting to see what hosts are in Hale and the security guy's bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just randomly thinking during the week what actors have gone from being main cast on tv shows to just random unimportant guest roles on tv shows? Then we get Phoebe Tonkin, from The Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries and the Originals appearing as a girl at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Penn wrote: »
    I'm guessing Bernard has programmed an alternate version of himself capable of getting himself out of trouble (eg. higher aggression, skilled fighter, tactical etc), while his normal version tries to fly under the radar. Also helps him self-analyse himself by Bernard analysing his alternate.
    Was it not Forde sharing his body?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

robwen wrote: »
    There's an after credits scene I nearly missed

well damn so did I ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

Definitely an interesting start. Not sure I like just how advanced the outside world is, as it kinda makes Westworld redundant as a place where technology has advanced so much that would draw people into visiting it. Also did anyone feel the need to watch with subtitles? I missed a good few lines here and there and had to rewind.

I like the new additions to the cast though. I enjoy Tommy Flanagan in almost everything, John Gallagher Jr was pretty good in The Newsroom, and Pom Klementieff might be great, I enjoyed her scene. Aaron Paul did a great job too.

Be interesting to see what hosts are in Hale and the security guy's bodies.

Yeah, turned on subtitles for the same reason. Lot of info there to guide the viewer, they've clearly taken on board the criticsim of the last seaon.

I'm not sure what to make of it. It might as well be a new show, or a spinoff of Westworld. So much of what happened previously is ignored for the moment, maybe it will come back.

Maybe that's a good thing, the storyline was to complex and convulted.

I really felt I was watching a show like Altered Carbon, or something really inspired by Blade Runner. Even the music has changed, and the music was one thing I really liked!

I did enjoy it though, and I liked what they did with the Dolores character.

Aaron Paul looks like he just stepped off the El Camino set, after a few pancakes with Jesse P.

Interesting theory on the Decoding Westworld podcast:
    Caleb's mother says "You're not my son", and he tells someone he was shot in the head - is he a host?

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    Was it not Forde sharing his body?

No. Ford took over his body for a while, but then Bernard deleted him. Then ear the end of Season 2 he tries to get Ford back to help him and Ford reappears, but afterwards he realises that he did fully delete Ford from his mind, and after that the Ford that reappeared merely represented his own thoughts (same way Dolores imagined herself talking to Arnold, but Arnold was actually her own thoughts she was hearing). Ford has been deleted from Bernard's mind completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭corkie

Slydice wrote: »
    Airing tomorrow.

Recap posted to the HBO youtube:

Here is another good recap for those that haven't started season 3 yet?

Westworld RECAP Seasons 1 + 2 in CHRONOLOGICAL Order

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So London U.R.E.W can't wait to see what that acronym stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So London U.R.E.W can't wait to see what that acronym stands for.
    United Republic of England and Wales surely?

Actually really enjoyed that episode I have to say. Much better than the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Acosta

Enjoyed the first episode a lot. Especially the funky soundtrack. Tron Legacy meets Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Nice little Easter egg tucked into that episode

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nice little Easter egg tucked into that episode
    I just caught the name in the credits but didn't see who they played - was one of them the bard?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Real Rick and Morty feel to this episode Rick's attack on the citadel of Ricks and a fair few other things very good episode

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Easter eggs I saw as to do with
    Futureworld the sequel movie which had a Medievalworld so we saw Dragon from GoT's being created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.2: Ah that felt somehow peaceful and relaxing. Maeve showing she's definitely a contender to take on Delores. Again real kinda terminator vibes to how she escaped herself. Stubbs even looked to be done a bit Arnie-eske.

So I get the feeling this Engerraund dude is the father of yer man from the last episode.
    ixoy wrote: »
    I just caught the name in the credits but didn't see who they played - was one of them the bard?

They were the two guys going at the dragon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Funny that I was just putting him into a category of actors who, when I combine their seasons on shows that I've watched, come among the highest and Aaron Paul's in that - 5 seasons of Breaking Bad, 3 seasons of the Path, 6 seasons of BoJack Horeseman and now 1 season of Westworld - 15 seasons of all making him one of my most popular actors!

Only a handful can nearly match that for me - Eddie Falco (3 seasons of Oz, 4 of the Sopranos that I watched and 7 of Nurse Jackie) and beating it by a bit is Jensen Ackles for 15 seasons of 'Supernatural' and 1 season of 'Smallville'. By episode count though he crushes the rest of them into the dust.

Jensen was also in Dark Angel

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Funny that I was just putting him into a category of actors who, when I combine their seasons on shows that I've watched, come among the highest and Aaron Paul's in that - 5 seasons of Breaking Bad, 3 seasons of the Path, 6 seasons of BoJack Horeseman and now 1 season of Westworld - 15 seasons of all making him one of my most popular actors!

Only a handful can nearly match that for me - Eddie Falco (3 seasons of Oz, 4 of the Sopranos that I watched and 7 of Nurse Jackie) and beating it by a bit is Jensen Ackles for 15 seasons of 'Supernatural' and 1 season of 'Smallville'. By episode count though he crushes the rest of them into the dust.

Mark Harmon for me has has 3 seasons of St Elsewhere and 4 seasons of Chicago Hope and now 17 seasons of NCIS.

I know he had a couple of seasons on other shows however those 3 are shows I watch/watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

season 2 was such a chore im going to give it a miss until its over and see what the general consensus is. ratings seems to be down

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/westworld-season-3-premiere-tv-ratings-1203536901/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Loved the S3 opener. First episode was very different in design to S1 and S2, but still had that unmistakable Westworld feel and tone. Love the aesthetics they went with; it's the future, but not ridiculously far fetched. Very believable as 30yrs (give or take) from now.

Ep2 was brilliant. More like S1 and S2 in execution again, but the writing was great and Maeve's ingenuity very well depicted on screen.

S3 on a whole shaping up to be very good going by these first two. Very interested to see what's become of MIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

silverharp wrote: »
    season 2 was such a chore im going to give it a miss until its over and see what the general consensus is. ratings seems to be down

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/westworld-season-3-premiere-tv-ratings-1203536901/
    I'm convinced it's gonna be quality, so re-watching season 2 as season 3 builds up (so I can watch 2 a week)- finding 2 better on a re-watch. (Think I'll stay away from here though as I don't like spoilers; back after I've seen season 3 :))

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

anybody else convinced that we are back to multiple timelines?

anybody else convinced that we are back to multiple timelines?

I don't think so. Maybe some of what we've seen of Dolores is a little bit ahead of the others, but for the most part I think they've played that card twice already and have said they're not going to purposefully try and obscure or confuse the story this season like they did last season, so I think it'll be generally the same timeline, for Dolores, Bernard and Maeve anyway. We haven't seen what's going on with William yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't think so. Maybe some of what we've seen of Dolores is a little bit ahead of the others, but for the most part I think they've played that card twice already and have said they're not going to purposefully try and obscure or confuse the story this season like they did last season, so I think it'll be generally the same timeline, for Dolores, Bernard and Maeve anyway. We haven't seen what's going on with William yet though.
    I'm convinced the Bernard timeline is after the Maeve timeline. or maybe they just want me to think that

There does feel like a bit of a separation. Hard to tell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What the heck is going on in Season 3 with Maeve ? The black girl? She was in a computer dream? What happened to her the end of season 2 ? I cant recall

Bobtheman wrote: »
    What the heck is going on in Season 3 with Maeve ? The black girl? She was in a computer dream? What happened to her the end of season 2 ? I cant recall

She was killed at the end of season 2. She's an Android though and so..
    where abouts are you?
    episode one:
    who knows.. you've just seen Maeve.. you don't know why
    episode two:
    she's had her computer brain orb thing saved and we're seeing that these Android hosts can use any bodys available to them or even be in a computer simulation... and this guy is looking to use her services to fight Maeve. We don't know if her and Maeve are separated by time (months or years) like how parts of the Season 2 story were separated and that's being discussed in the last few posts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I thought the robot rescuing her brain orb was shot down?
    Thanks for above

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

Watched episode 2 tonight and again really enjoyed it. Maeve's story was brilliant. Missed Dolores as she wasn't in it at all. I really like Bernard. He's my favourite character and has been since day 1. Roll on season 3 episode 3 tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I thought the robot rescuing her brain orb was shot down?

I'm guessing the orb survived. When she got the Robot to take her orb, it kept it in it's hand the whole time. I think that's why they showed us the orb had survived after the robot was shot to bits.

We've seen Delores taking just Orbs in her bag so once they are intact, the host can be brought back.

Now whether she was directly in control of the Robot or Remote Control or just left the Robot with Instructions to run.. I dunno.

Thinking about it now though, I'm surprised I didn't see the similarity .. before now .. to the Orb being stored in the head to how in the Terminator films, it's the processor stored in a similar place.

Advertisement