Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What silly things did you do as a child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I watched a swan build a nest on the canal for a few weeks . She amazed me how she built a perfect cosy nest .She laid the eggs carefully and She and her buddy then sat on the eggs . I was so excited so decided to have a closer look . By now sure I thought we were great friends and I fed them bread daily .
    So I boldy walked closer and closer to see the eggs . I saw a white flash and wings outstretched she launched at me with a hiss and snapped at my leg .
    Jaysus it hurt for weeks

My cousin had a Pog I really wanted and told me if I took a bite out of a white candle and ate it that he'd give it to me. I did, and he didn't.

Another time we set our Grans living room on fire arguing over who got to light a fancy candle with a pilfered lighter when we were supposed to be watching cartoons quietly on a Saturday morning. The curtains had gone up before we decided the situation was urgent enough to wake our Granddad, the poor man.

I gave the same cousin a 'haircut' that was a cross between a puddingbowl cut and a Monks tonsor when we were about seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My next door neighbour and best friend lived with her granny. We used to get up in the middle of the night and try on her false teeth

That's enough of AH for me tonight , I'm out.

Went to a very packed community hall in some nether region of Ireland where I watched a man with a projector show us a film reel of statues apparently moving in some egregiously nether region of Cork. It's not everybody who can claim to have been... caught up in the moving statues craze of 1985. An, em, very unique moment in time.

The conversation in that community hall was remarkably similar to 1:44 in the video below, 'Look at her head moving...'. It would have been great for the local economy if they could have made it into another Lourdes. The woman at 2:38 here is impressive:

I decided to replace the fuse in my older sisters hairdryer when I was about 8 , I'm not even sure if the fuse was blown.
    Anyway I'm famously lazy and decided to push the plug into the socket without putting the back on the plug .

I was also propelled about 8 foot across the room , 8 foot must be a unit electrical measurement for shocks.

:D:D:D:p

• Advertisement

I nearly had a wee laughing at Retro trying on the grannys false teeth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

What were you doing round the back of a chipper?

Becoming the most powerful man in the universe, that sort of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

As a kid I once put these cool glass diamonds into my bag next to my bed only to find later someone had stollen them and poured water all over my bedside locker..

I remember going down stairs and shouting at my much older sisters and all they could do is laugh at me which made me even angrier.... i got more of these beauties and warned them not to touch these ones.....

Bitches did it again only poured even more water over my bedside locker......

I've never been let forget this heinous crime that took part that day....

It was ice, wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Tried to open sewer covers in our local town so I could go meet Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michaelangelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Full-blown WWF matches with the brothers and cousins, with those biscuit tin lids used as steel chairs, and including death-defying moves like swanton bombs and frog splashes. Remembering letting one of the older cousins do a tombstone on me once too. Come the summer, the Royal Rumbles we had on the bales were epic :D

Another time, a cousin said he'd cut my hair for me, and ended up nipping my ear. Blood everywhere.

I had a really enjoyable childhood :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I used to slide down the stairs on my belly (not head first) and thought it was great fun as a slide until I got reeeally bad carpet burn eventually all over my belly!

Me and my cousins first ever new years staying up, we were about seven and all staying at grannys house, as we still do :) my auntie and mam let us both stay up really late and every year from then on wed put the ironing board up in the kitchen and all the Christmas sweets and toys on it and pretended it was our shop.

It was great fun and my cousin and I love eachother like brother and sister!

It was a ritual for my auntie and I to do the 'footloose' dance everytime we seen eachother, until I was about twelve.

Or dancing around the kitchen with my grandmother on Christmas eve.

With friends, we used to bring all our bratz dolls and toys out to the garden and do a toy swap every so often.

I used to slide down the stairs on my belly (not head first) and thought it was great fun as a slide until I got reeeally bad carpet burn eventually all over my belly!

Amateur. I used to do the same but I lay on a large flat wooden serving tray for the journey. I think I'd been watching Olympic bobsledding or something :D

Candie wrote: »
    Amateur. I used to do the same but I lay on a large flat wooden serving tray for the journey. I think I'd been watching Olympic bobsledding or something :D

Brilliant idea. Think we may have eventually resorted to trying to drag a single mattress off my bed. Don't think that worked too well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I did quite a few stupid things in my youth. I used to love eating coal, briquettes, fire lights and the lead from pencils. I remember coal being quite tasty.

Another time, when I was 12, I got my 11 year old cousin to hold blocks while I tried to split them with an axe. Don't know how I didn't kill him! Another day, the same cousins father drove in and drove over a brush, breaking it. In my pre-teen mind I thought a good reply was to hop a plastic block off his young fellas forehead... I was a stupid kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I was going to say “eating chewing gum off the road” when I saw the title of the thread.

I see now that I might have a different idea about the word “silly”.

I've been there, stones still embedded for extra crunch. Lucky enough if you got a nice fresh bit.

Jaysus, gross when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

When i was very young i drank turpentine(white spirit) from under the kitchen sink thinking it was 7up.i was duly rushed to the hospital to have my stomach pumped.
    I don't remember it at all but ive been told the story lots of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Age ten, sobbing in front of the telly while watching the video for "Take On Me" by Aha; such was the crush I had on Morten Harket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Drank a load of bubble bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Went out to the back alley during a very heavy shower of rain, took my shoes off and stood in the middle of a puddle of water where my very angry mother found me with my head thrown back, eyes screwed shut and mouth wide open. Apparently, I wanted to know what it felt like to be a raindrop.

Walked around the kitchen backwards while holding a mirror. I was trying to travel back in time.

I could go on, but I'm getting embarrassed typing this. Let's just say there are many stair related anecdotes and one of them involves me hanging upside down when my clumpy 1970's shoe got trapped between the spindles when I climbed over the bannister. I was left dangling while my Mum chatted with the milkman at the front door...

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Drank a load of bubble bath.

For a dare? :)

I'd say 80% of the stupid stuff I drank or ate were for dares. The rest was curiosity!

• Advertisement

I attempted to plant a Skittles tree. I know Homer Simpson did something similar but he wasn't the only one.

For a dare? :)

I'd say 80% of the stupid stuff I drank or ate were for dares. The rest was curiosity!
    My cousin convinced me it was delicious. And she was right!

Ah, the power of suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My cousin convinced me it was delicious. And she was right!

Did you fart bubbles? Please say you farted bubbles.

irish

Sardonicat wrote: »

I want to know this too!

I mean, I was going to ask but I didn't want to appear uncouth :P

Thought of one.

In my grannys house when I was about ten, I went down to open the freezer and thought ooh Mr freezers, cut off the top and work away eating it, tasted extremely weird like washing up liquid.

It was a glow stick!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I want to know this too!

I mean, I was going to ask but I didn't want to appear uncouth :P
    I don't remember, but surely it would have defied physics not to?

I do remember being very very sick during the night...

Oh my god, just remembered the ultimate one. A shameful one too.

Goat droppings. My friend, her sister and I were in Farran Woods in Cork (their mother brought us there one Saturday) - we saw a little cluster of "Maltesers" on the ground - well who would pass free Maltesers? Into each gob. I presume we all spat it out.

• Advertisement

Oh my god, just remembered the ultimate one. A shameful one too.

Goat droppings. My friend, her sister and I were in Farran Woods in Cork (their mother brought us there one Saturday) - we saw a little cluster of "Maltesers" on the ground - well who would pass free Maltesers? Into each gob. I presume we all spat it out.

Just when I thought Retro trying out her neighbours false teeth wasn't going to be topped...!

Advertisement