Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What silly things did you do as a child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

I thought beer was so named that if you drank enough of it would sprout a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

I thought if you sang to a pooky snail it would stick out it's horns.

I followed my friends on a walk one day and they told me to go home or my birthdays would fly away. I believed them and sprinted back to my house.

I thought if you gathered up enough seeds from wild grass and sowed it a massive tree would grow in that spot.

I though God was disappointed in you if you were bold.

I though Angel Delight was the height of culinary sophistication.

I thought the RDS Horse show was a major international sporting event.

I thought a Mars a day really did help you work rest and play.

After watching the six million dollar man I used to run down the road and secretly think that I was bionic.

Because of the RTE weather forecast weather charts, for a long time I thought that Ireland and Britain were the only two countries in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

At around ten, my friend and I wanted to experiment with cigarettes. We robbed a lighter and 'smoked' twigs. We laughed to each other wondering how stupid people are that they spend money on them when they can just smoke twigs.

When I was around 3, I loved playing with water in the sink. One day I put the plug in and let it overfill.

Instead of just turning off the tap, my mam walked into the bathroom to find me trying to catch the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Oh God, where even to start!

Locked myself into the hot press one time. I remember almost passing out before my mum found me. Climbed waaaay too far up a tree until the branch snapped and I fell, fortunately onto another tree.

Went down a slide on my roller blades, which was fine, except for the very solid wall at the bottom.

Got stuck by the head in a hole that I climbed into.

Jumped into a big field of nettles.

Got bitten by a squirrel that I was chasing. Still have that scar.

So many broken bones, and probably a lot of concussions. Which would explain a lot! :)

My poor parents. And that was before I became a teenager, which was probably worse.

The broken glass collection wasn’t the best idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Smoking tea leaves. Kept the paper frorm our milk straws and carefully fill with tea leaves. That's what hard men did then .
    Also taking the blocks out from the brakes on my bike so they wouldn't work and flying down steep hills to prove my eejitdom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Had a flowery anorak and hated it.

Zip broke so I thought I was getting a new coat, but no, my Mum sewed huge buttons off an Aaran jumper onto it and made home made buttonholes. It was horrendous but I was made wear it.

Had a brainwave that I could make it disappear by flushing it down the toilet, only it would not go. I got a large stick and tried to force it down. It seemed to go around the corner so it could not be seen so I thought I was home safe.

By belting the toilet with the large plank, the toilet got a hairline crack and started leaking. Then the anorak made a reappearance back into the toilet bowl. I was getting stressed so my Mum heard banging and came up to see what was going in.

Got absolutely walloped.

The worst bit though, was that the Anorak was fished out of the jax, washed in the machine and I was made wear it till the next Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t know how I got this idea...but my mad little self at about 5 managed to get the basting brush from the kitchen drawer, go upstairs, and start painting the landing with toothpaste. Luckily I was caught with only one strip needing to be replaced

SuperS54 just reminded me
    An older fella found a old wwii hand grenade in a river/ canal and brought into national school. I was 4th or 5th class and at the time the GAA was heavily promoting hurling up our way. So at break time I was out hitting the grenade,as hard as I could, against a concrete wall. Teacher seen it and bomb squad, guards were out . They said it was in bad condition but still viable

I only flicked through but Dial Hard standing on a ledge is the craziest.
    He could have been a tragic front page :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Oh my god I think a better question is to ask what haven’t I done.

I was a bad kid. When I was 3 years of age, my baby brother and I were playing in the living room, Dad was at work and Mam was in the kitchen. I somehow got my hands on matches from on top of the fireplace and figured out how to light them. In surprise, I dropped a lit match on the fabric sofa and the whole thing went up in flames. Mam heard me give out a little bit of a squeal and cane running down the hallway, seeing a flicker of orange reflecting in the television on the way. She got to the living room just as my baby brother was about to put his hands in the flames. I can remember them getting the hose out to put the fire out. They kept that sofa set in storage for years afterward just as a reminder to me :(

Other stuff I’ve done includes sawing up my cousins bed, turning on a fire hose in Superquinn and ringing 999 and running away from the phone. Poor parents must have been driven demented, they had a strap for keeping me close in public. I turned out alright anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Created lots of idiotic, keyboard warrrior-es que threads on boards.ie

...oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Did loads of silly things, but one activity still makes me shudder to remember. In the olden days children would be pretty much out of the house all day except for meals, and we could literally be anywhere. We were a bunch of rural kids and one of our amusements was to make "rafts". Which were basically just cobbled together bits of stuff that vaguely floated. Which were assembled and disassembled and reassembled constantly because that was the craic if it. Which we would then launch with various members of the bunch aboard out onto the deep wide fast flowing river. Laughing and howling and whooping. I have no idea how we all survived into adulthood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

When I was around 12, three of my pals and I ran for the train and jumped on without paying. When we were going back home, I said we have the money so I think we should just pay this time and two of them started slagging me for it. I paid anyway and so did one of my friends but the other two didn't.

The two of their faces dropped when the ticket collector happened to get on and my friend and I got into a fit of giggles. We just couldn't hold in the laughter and it started drawing attention to us.

By the time the ticket collector got to us, everyone at the end of the carriage was laughing aswell except for my two friends! :pac: The ticket collector just gave them a nod of disapproval and made them pay up. At that stage he was laughing himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

milehip wrote: »
    Snap, just replace bleach with dettol.

And, in my case, white spirits!

My mother was good with the sewing machine and made a lot of the clothes for the household and she really was a perfectionist, going to a lot of trouble over it. When I was about 3 she made a little skirt and jacket for Sunday wear, and had laid a fair bit for the material. It was 1964, swinging sixties time. Mum’s youngest aunt was still alive and a regular visitor to the house, but by her own admission she hated kids, especially little girls.

Somehow I was quite fond of her and enjoyed provoking her so as she would give out which was great fun! Mum asked her to keep an eye on me for a short while as she was preparing lunch in the kitchen. I declared that I was bored, and she replied “oh stop annoying me, why don’t you go cut yourself a mini skirt, they are all the rage”. What a splendid idea, I thought. I left the room and went upstairs to the wardrobe and pulled out the good Sunday suit. Grabbed a pair of scissors and cut the skirt into a mini and cane down wearing it. My mother was furious with her aunt and I was giggling as a row ensued. There was no way that the skirt could be used as a mini because I had cut in haphazardly, about the line of my underwear in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I put a screw in an electrical socket.

I still remember the room felt like spinning after the shock...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

My mom took away my cat because I kept smelling its piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I have a vague memory of getting bitten on the face by a neighbour's dog when I was around three. This dog had a reputation for being really placid and friendly, so I must have done something incredibly silly. I may have bitten him first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

God I just remembered this earlier. But when I was about six or seven my aunt from the UK visited and she had massive boobs. I have this vague recollection of her arriving at our house one day and I, having come from a more modest bosomed family, was absolutely awe struck at the size of her breasts. I think she had only sat down about twenty seconds and I walked over and squeezed them like a horn. She was mortified. I think I spent the majority of her stay pestering her about her boobs asking why were they so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thought it would be a good idea to sneak up on the family dog from behind and steal his bone.
    I got bit.
    Poor dog got beaten.
    Thankfully not put down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

We were on holiday in Spain when my cousin and I were about eleven or twelve.

We were all on the beach one day and we bought one of those long cheap net things you buy in the little Chinese shops over there, to catch crabs or little fish

Me and my cousin walked down the beach towards the port, filthy water and big boats parked everywhere, we were so excited and kneeling down almost headfirst trying to catch one of the little fish. We eventually did but my cousin fell in, and older man stopped to help direct my cousin on where the steps were, and to try swim over, but all my cousin cared about was his flip flop that floated away :D

Scary then but funny to think back on now.

I also went out of my way to touch a roasting hot iron when I was about five. Still remember the pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

I was going to say “eating chewing gum off the road” when I saw the title of the thread.

I see now that I might have a different idea about the word “silly”.

I did that too. But I was young at the time. 32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Sorry for spam. This may have been a little mean rather than silly but anyway!

I was staying at my grandparents house and made a new friend from up the road. We were hanging out in the back garden one day, only about nine years old, and there was a glass of sour milk that was obviously forgotten about, left for the cat or whatever, in the shed.

I mean proper sour, like there weeks.

I made the little fella drink the milk (can't remember why, if it was a dare or what)

Poor little fecker.

I still remember the next time I called for him, his mum made up some excuse, and I never seen him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,210 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For some reason I was certain that all gay men were from Germany!

I believed we could have well regulated capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I painted a pane of glass black on one side thinking I would turn it into a mirror.

I decided to bring the neighbour's donkey into our warm kitchen one snowy morning, when my mother got up and saw the donkey beside the range, she started shouting and spooked the donkey...

I tried to make some wine by crushing some grapes from the fruit bowl, the rest of this story is more suited to the etiquette thread.

I superglued myself to the kitchen table....by the elbow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I saw Zig and Zag drink milk up their noses so when my mothers back was turned I tried to emulate them. Sneezed milk all over the table and even at my young age felt very stupid when trying to explain what I’d done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

When i was very young i drank turpentine(white spirit) from under the kitchen sink thinking it was 7up.i was duly rushed to the hospital to have my stomach pumped.
    I don't remember it at all but ive been told the story lots of times.

I drank dettol, aged about five thinking it was lemonade!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

When me and my friend were about 8 or 9 we drew fake boobs on ourselves with permanent markers, we had to go and tell my mam because we couldnt get them off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I once powered up a model train set from the mains, that didn't end well
    Did you know ?

The lead from a Lego motor fits exactly into a tape recorder mains plug. :o

Advertisement