Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What silly things did you do as a child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Myself and my brother used to go headfirst down the stairs lying on a single bed mattress.
    Problem was there was a glass front door at the bottom of the stairs but that never even occurred to us as a danger.
    It was actually good fun!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

We used to steel peoples wooden fences for our bonfire every year. Saw them right off and wheel the wood up the road on a bike.

We once even got a door...someone had a wooden side door and left it uplocked ..we took it off the hinges. Then wheeled it up to our estate ..then our neighboring estate stole it off us ...then we stole it back there was HUGE tension in the upcoming final days to Halloween ..the competition was on to who would finally get the door on their bonfire.

But we prevailed...we wouldn't stand to let them take what we had RIGHTFULLY stolen!

We put the door on OUR bonfire!

Oh by the way ..later that night this wasn't me but people i know did it.

They started throwing lighted things around. Just being silly with fire and fire works.

Lighting up rags and stuff.

My dad got pissed off he got a bat and stuck it down his jacket and went out ...he tried to talk to the boys to tell them to stop but they kept chucking lighted pieces of wood at him he took out the bat and started batting them right back at them ..he then went mental and they all ran home.

I remember staring at him and thinking ...'My Dad is mental.'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

I shared Brekkies with the cat! Literally going "one for you!" "one for me!"
    The cat seemed to think it was great and they don't taste as bad as you'd think!

Mezzotint wrote: »
    The cat seemed to think it was great and they don't taste as bad as you'd think!
    Awh! we would have been friends! :p

• Advertisement

The only other one I remember was I found a bunch of keys, locked ALL the interior doors of the house and then put them out on the window sill of the landing, so that 'bad guys' wouldn't get them!

My mother was in the bath at the time and ended up having to yell for help out the window. It was in the days before mobile phones.

I used to have a pet battery that i called baby rice.

I got him a shoe box to live in.

He was like a small battery rodent type creature.

I loved him very much.

Every time i see a battery ..i think of baby rice.

MN1300__46847.1425484932.jpg?c=2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My brother and I once washed our dog in turpentine, for reasons that escape me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Took a dump in the middle of the floor late at night and let the dog take the blame

I used to take the dog for long walks as off the lead, I always carried some dog biscuits with me to "assist" in getting her back to me while loose, I ate more than the dog most times.

Tasted very bland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,210 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One day I wanted to go to the toilet when I was about 4.
    My father said he'd bring me and he stopped talking for ages to a woman.
    So, I pulled down my pants and pi**ed everywhere including up on the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I used to catch snails and paint their shells. Some of them id keep as pets. One that I kept escaped and I couldnt find him anywhere. A few years later I was clearing out a wardrobe in my room and out crawled by pet snail with his painted shell. I was a teenager at this stage, hadnt realised they live for so long.

I used to catch snails and paint their shells. Some of them id keep as pets. One that I kept escaped and I couldnt find him anywhere. A few years later I was clearing out a wardrobe in my room and out crawled by pet snail with his painted shell. I was a teenager at this stage, hadnt realised they live for so long.

Up to 25 years apparently!

Up to 25 years apparently!
    more importantly, how? what food/drink did it have?

No idea.

I looked it up, apparently they sleep for about 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Used to eat raw packets of jelly as sweets.

Packets of jelly ARE sweets! Very good ones too; not had one for ages... mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I suppose youd be suprised how much outdoor foliage a person can bring in from the outdoors , especially a teenager.... off shoes ect ... even water off shoes jackets after rain .

They like fungus so he or she would have probably slithered around ur dirty underpants....

Did u keep him or her or did you restore back to nature ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I cut my own hair....actually I did it twice. I had to get my head shaved...both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I remember I used to play 'communion' with my sister using her white Dairymilk buttons. It took her a while to realise that she was just feeding me all her packet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So many that I just couldn’t fit them all into a post - I could write an entire book about them!! :D

When I was about 9, I tried to jump right over the kitchen table - and ended up falling in a way that I bit my lip so hard I was bleeding and screaming in pure agony and my mum took me to A&E in Blanchardstown hospital.

One funny one - when I was about the same age, my mum came back from the weekly shopping in Quinnsworth and - being the nosey little parker that I was, I fished through the grocery bags and found a pack of sanitary “press on” towels. Being of an innocent, pre-facts of life age, I thought these were packs that you stuck on the wall and dispensed tissues.

So I took one up to my bedroom and stuck it to the wall, tore it open, and it was all this cotton wool sort of mess. I was crestfallen.

A few days later, my big sis asked me why I stuck a sanitary towel of my mum’s to the wall beside my bed. She and mum were very amused. I explained to her that I thought it dispensed hankies and she told me that no, it was for teenage girls and women and that I would find out what it was really for in a few short years.

I was mortified! :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I used to collect insects in little "aquariums" (jars, old fish tanks) and make a sort of ecosystem with nature bits in each one.

I was particularly proud of one exhibition. The variety of the insects was unmatched. A caterpillar, snails, slugs, ants, woodlice, earwigs - the works! And loads of them.

I couldn't bear to leave them outside overnight so I hid the open jar under my bed, fell asleep and forgot about them.

A few days later when my mam was cleaning my room she just let out the longest scream.

My room had to be fumigated. I feel itchy now just thinking about it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I don't know if anyone remembers the standard 80s swing that was in most gardens in Ireland at the time.

We were obsessed with swinging high enough to do a full loop over the crossbar which usually resulted in someone getting hurt.

Our parents cemented into the ground to make it safer and all the warnings about head injuries and broken bones were ignored by us. We treated the injuries with pride and we even competitive about them.

My parents eventually removed it following a fairly serious fright and a trip to A & E. The garden ended up ruined.

Despite the stupidity, many great childhood memories.

poisonated wrote: »
    I cut my own hair....actually I did it twice. I had to get my head shaved...both times.

I had a friend who did this. She said she was trying to make her hair longer. She had overheard someone say that cutting your hair makes it grow and took it too literally. She had one short side and one long side. Had to get it cut to her ears in the end.

When id see the post man coming to the house id run down to the door and snap the post out of his hand as he put it through the letter box. For what reason I dont know?
    One time he shouted as I gave him such a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I remember I used to play 'communion' with my sister using her white Dairymilk buttons. It took her a while to realise that she was just feeding me all her packet.

I used to play at Mass with my cousins. We had a set of silver goblets my parents got as a wedding present so we used to get one of those for a chalice.

We had an elderly priest in the parish at the time who, when distributing communion used to HISS at length. You could never tell when he'd finished saying 'body of Christ'.

So when we played Mass the communion bit was just a load of hissing. My mother walked in on us once and gave us hell for making fun of the priest....

(The hissing priest was a bollix though, one boy receiving communion didn't know the priest had finished saying 'body of Christ' and was just standing there... The priest nearly clattered him in front of the whole church shouting 'say Amen! Say Amen!')

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

At 14 years of age, I used to help the local milkman on 'milk money day" ( weekly collection day for you young 'uns out there). When the round was finished, I used to drive the electric milk float back to the Hughes Brothers dairy in Rathfarnham from Stillorgan. Carefree days. That's where I honed my road rage skills, giving out to mature, experienced, licenced drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TrampFighter

i took a piss on a cormorant once, was probably 9 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Growing up in the countryside left plenty of scope for stupidity.

When my youngest brother was born the rest of us were farmed out to various neighbours every night to take care of us while my father went to the hospital. I was in a farming neighbours house and they used always have a roaring fire going (December). I remember sitting in front of it on a stool staring into the flames. I had a loose pair of trousers (likely flares!) and I remember the material getting hot and how I could feel the heat as I moved my legs slightly and the material touched skin. I stayed there for ages feeling the material getting hotter and hotter until finally it was scalding hot and I couldn't actually move. I was too shy to say anything to the neighbours so I just sat there waiting for immolation. By the time my father arrived and had a customary chat with the neighbours about my mother and the baby I had tears running down my cheeks. Nobody noticed as I had my back to everyone until my dad called on me to head off. I couldn't move for the pain and I couldn't say anything to explain the stupid predicament I'd gotten myself into. Eventually he had enough and just scooped me up leading to me roaring in agony, he immediately put me down leading to more roaring and crying, the farmers wife who was a nurse picked me up to see what was wrong leading to another piece of 1000°C material touching my skin and more roaring. Eventually the material had cooled enough so that I could move and awkwardly explain what was wrong, had my shins slathered in sudocrem to deal with the burns. We never spoke of it again, I don't remember ever being taken care of by that neighbour again either.

The pièce de résistance of childhood stupidity was probably repeatedly firing a high powered airgun at a large rock with my brother just to hear the cowboy film like whinnnnnnnngggggg as the ricochets bounced off the rock and flew by our heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When I was about 2 or 3 I managed to get into my fathers tool box and started to mess around with the contents.. there was a couple of those small bulbs that you’d put into a torch, I decided to take one out, put it in my mouth and bite it..

I was eventually driven at speed to the a&e where it could be determined that I didn't ingest any... an enlightening experience for sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Formula One was big in the seventies....and there were lots of crashes and spin-offs on the lethal tracks. From this, I was convinced that if car tyres touched grass they would spontaneously burst into flames. I can still remember freaking out when we visited relations in the country that lived down a long laneway with a grass verge on both sides. 'Daddy, steer straight ya bastid or we're all going to die...'

Advertisement