Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What silly things did you do as a child?

Options
  • 08-11-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So what did you do?

When I was about 10 and staying my cousin we decided to go have a look at the back of a lorry tractor unit that would be parked nearby. We got destryed from all the grease on the hitch lol.
    Another time when me and my sister were staying at my Anty we were out playing in the shed and there was a biscuit tin full of what I thought was water so I decided to was my face with it but ended up destroyed in oil lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I found an old sword once, out the back of a chipper. Not knowing what else to do, I held it aloft my head and then fabulous secret powers were revealed to me. It was gas altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,392 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thought the best place to hide in a game of hide and seek was standing on the outside sill of my (upstairs) bedroom window, with the curtains closed. I was about four. One of the neighbours spotted me and ran in to tell my mam. It took her a good five or ten minutes to coax me in and I remember being really annoyed at having my excellent spot ruined by the neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fell down every single flight of stairs in our house (there were a lot), interior and exterior, face/head first - winding up in hospital having my head stitched on one occasion, going to school with gouges all down one side of my face on another.

I still have problems going down stairs to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I was going to say “eating chewing gum off the road” when I saw the title of the thread.

I see now that I might have a different idea about the word “silly”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Enjoyed cordial relations with my 'boomer' parents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Drank bleach when I was 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Had aunt and uncle and cousins visiting us. So me and cousins got up early in the morning and started playing hide and seek while all the parents were in bed.
    I hid in the upstairs bath tub.
    So around 7am I'm lying down in the bath tub hiding. Suddenly I hear foot-steps coming running into the bathroom so I jumped up out of the bath tub thinking I had been found.
    It turned out that it was my Aunt who had made the short dash across the landing from the spare room facing the bathroom. She was naked from the waist up!!!!!! Her baps were bouncing around as she ran into the bathroom. So as I jumped out of the bath tub she screamed and I screamed and then she went running back to the bedroom and I climbed out of the bath tub, slightly shook.
    It was my first time seeing a woman's melons and unfortunately it is etched, ingrained, into my memory.
    I never played hide and seek again after that day.
    And I'd imagine she probably never ran topless across an upstairs landing again either.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Ooh, you've just reminded me, I was found at some tender age (too young to remember) scooping handfuls of washing powder into my gob, wound up in hospital that time as well, having my stomach pumped I believe......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Not me, Brothers threw a match into a petrol tank of a car, ended up in the eye, ear and throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Myself and my brother used to pour sugar all over the lino on the kitchen floor early on weekend mornings and go skating around in our socks, not sure where we got the idea but my poor mother would have a fit when she got up, the threat was always the same "there will be no Monkees for ye tonight". The funny thing is I can't remember anything about the TV programme so we must have been bold a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

beejee wrote: »
    I found an old sword once, out the back of a chipper. Not knowing what else to do, I held it aloft my head and then fabulous secret powers were revealed to me. It was gas altogether :)

What were you doing round the back of a chipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Borderfox wrote: »

Snap, just replace bleach with dettol.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I called the teacher mam!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Grow up.

Made a home-made banger which involved using sellotape - lit the banger but the sellotape stuck to my finger- BANG!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Seamai wrote: »
    Myself and my brother used to pour sugar all over the lino on the kitchen floor early on weekend mornings and go skating around in our socks, not sure where we got the idea but my poor mother would have a fit when she got up, the threat was always the same "there will be no Monkees for ye tonight". The funny thing is I can't remember anything about the TV programme so we must have been bold a lot.

You probably got the idea off The Monkees!

I ate Lux soapflakes

I ate Lux soapflakes
    Another one with good taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My brother convinced me if I jumped off the shed roof with an open umbrella I would gently float down

So I did , and I didn’t !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I called the teacher mam!

I did that too, the teacher was my mam though and she wasn’t happy about it. The rest of the class thought it was hilarious when she clocked me across the head... fcukers :mad: :pac:

Honestly I’m not sure how I survived childhood with the amount of silly things I did. My brothers were just as bad though and it was like we’d turned endangering ourselves into a competitive sport :pac:

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Another one with good taste!

very clean mouth after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Bee on a string. The steps were as follows:
    1. Catch a bee in a glass jar
    2. Once caught stick the bee in the freezer for 1 hour max. Just enough to knock the bee out but not overcook it.
    3. Take bee out of freezer and tie a string around it’s body. Needed a steady hand for this.
    4. Attach other end of string to your finger.
    5. Once the bee woke up, hilarity would ensue as we brought the pet bee on a string for a walk

Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

As a kid I once put these cool glass diamonds into my bag next to my bed only to find later someone had stollen them and poured water all over my bedside locker..

I remember going down stairs and shouting at my much older sisters and all they could do is laugh at me which made me even angrier.... i got more of these beauties and warned them not to touch these ones.....

Bitches did it again only poured even more water over my bedside locker......

I've never been let forget this heinous crime that took part that day....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Me and my brother took all our teddies and blankets (and maybe even the duvets off our beds) and put them at the bottom of the stairs. We used them as a crash-pad/landing-mat and jumped from the top steps. Couldn't have been much more than 6 or 7 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Deciding to play intermediary between our cross neighbours and a group of slightly younger kids playing football in the street. My diplomacy didn’t go as well as hoped because as soon as the door opened I was immediately hosed down and doused with flour. Then had the door slammed in my face. Think I stood there in shock for a full minute.

very clean mouth after :D
    I had a very clean entire digestive tract!!!

One more that comes to mind..... we lived in a very old house, there were defunct servants' bells in some rooms, I thought it would be a good idea to stick my finger into one (Lord knows why), there were live wires of some sort in there and I shot myself halfway back across the room and still have the scars on my thumb to this day.

Thinking back on it all, I wonder how I ever made it to adulthood at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I did that too, the teacher was my mam though and she wasn’t happy about it. The rest of the class thought it was hilarious when she clocked me across the head... fcukers :mad: :pac:

One of my best friends when I was 12 was the son of our 5th/6th class teacher. I still remember the day he had to say "Dad!" when he couldn't get our teacher's attention saying "Sir". :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I had a very clean entire digestive tract!!!

One more that comes to mind..... we lived in a very old house, there were defunct servants' bells in some rooms, I thought it would be a good idea to stick my finger into one (Lord knows why), there were live wires of some sort in there and I shot myself halfway back across the room and still have the scars on my thumb to this day.

Thinking back on it all, I wonder how I ever made it to adulthood at all.

Old style plug socket (2 pin)- decided to repeatedly insert and remove the plug from the socket in quick succession- no idea why i wished to do that (I was about 7 at the time)- like you, was propelled a good 8 foot across the living room. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Old style plug socket (2 pin)- decided to repeatedly insert and remove the plug from the socket in quick succession- no idea why i wished to do that (I was about 7 at the time)- like you, was propelled a good 8 foot across the living room. :D

I decided to replace the fuse in my older sisters hairdryer when I was about 8 , I'm not even sure if the fuse was blown.
    Anyway I'm famously lazy and decided to push the plug into the socket without putting the back on the plug .

I was also propelled about 8 foot across the room , 8 foot must be a unit electrical measurement for shocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My next door neighbour and best friend lived with her granny. We used to get up in the middle of the night and try on her false teeth

Advertisement