Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer 2019 in Revenue - Tax, Audit and Compliance

• 18-10-2019 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Executive Officer 2019 in Revenue - Tax, Audit and Compliance - Nationwide

The competition opened on the 25 Sept and closed on the 18 Oct 2019. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the process and progress of the campaign.

This is an open competition for appointment to the position of executive officer (EO) working as part of a tax, audit and compliance team.

Stage 1 - Unsupervised online tests to include (late October 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning
    • Chat Assess

Stage 2 - Supervised online tests to include (early November 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning

Stage 3 - Final competitive, competency based interview (November/December 2019).

Executive Officers may be required to complete Revenue’s trainee auditor programme. This consists of carrying out Revenue interventions as part of practical training together with an academic qualification, accredited by a recognised academic institution and/or professional body for which you will be required to successfully complete all relevant exams. This training will commence in January and September 2020 and will take approximately three years to complete.

See Information Booklet attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I put in for this, just happened to come across it on the revenue website and the role sounded interesting. Wasn't actively looking as currently employed in the private sector but job security and the employer were the 2 key things for me. Interested to see how the selection process plays out too as didn't know too much about the public sector until I started reading here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    I put in for this, just happened to come across it on the revenue website and the role sounded interesting. Wasn't actively looking as currently employed in the private sector but job security and the employer were the 2 key things for me. Interested to see how the selection process plays out too as didn't know too much about the public sector until I started reading here.

What location are you going for?

Have you does the Verbal, Numerical reasoning tests before??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm in for this. I placed decently for the AO one for this year but to date havent gotten the call. Probably very few AO's in my chosen locations in the midlands. Hopefully have more luck with the EO's :D

What location are you going for?

Have you does the Verbal, Numerical reasoning tests before??

Kilkenny (main option) and Waterford but probably wouldn't accept Waterford as would be too much of a commute. No, first time applying for a public job so kind of just curious about the whole testing side of it too.

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    so kind of just curious about the whole testing side of it too.

The assessment tests are usually done by Cut-e. You can practice the Verbal and Numerical test at:
    http://getstarted.cut-e.com/home/

Ignore the third test as its not relevant for this competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I had applied but don't think I'll bother proceeding. The job looks right up my street but I'd be dropping from 38k to 30k salary wise and I can't afford it. I'll probably sit the online tests out of curiousity, but I won;t bother with interviews if I manage to get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

Executive Officer 2019 in Revenue - Tax, Audit and Compliance - Nationwide

The competition opened on the 25 Sept and closed on the 18 Oct 2019. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the process and progress of the campaign.

This is an open competition for appointment to the position of executive officer (EO) working as part of a tax, audit and compliance team.

Stage 1 - Unsupervised online tests to include (late October 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning
    • Chat Assess

Stage 2 - Supervised online tests to include (early November 2019):
    • Verbal reasoning
    • Numerical reasoning

Stage 3 - Final competitive, competency based interview (November/December 2019).

Executive Officers may be required to complete Revenue’s trainee auditor programme. This consists of carrying out Revenue interventions as part of practical training together with an academic qualification, accredited by a recognised academic institution and/or professional body for which you will be required to successfully complete all relevant exams. This training will commence in January and September 2020 and will take approximately three years to complete.

See Information Booklet attached.

Thanks for starting this thread.
    This competition is also being ran internally in Revenue. Its the same process as open.
    Good luck to everyone.

I had applied but don't think I'll bother proceeding. The job looks right up my street but I'd be dropping from 38k to 30k salary wise and I can't afford it. I'll probably sit the online tests out of curiousity, but I won;t bother with interviews if I manage to get that far.

Similar situation to myself, would be less money and a longer commute. I'd have a big decision to make if I was offered a position as current job might not be there in a years time so need to start thinking long term. The job security, qualification provided, variety of the role and career progression/defined path provided are all tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

You could end up in a few different locations so commute time could vary dramatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Logged my interest in this last week but received no confirmation email, did anybody receive confirmation yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Logged my interest in this last week but received no confirmation email, did anybody receive confirmation yet?

Not yet either, but in the booklet it says "an e-mail confirming receipt of your application by 25 October 2019" so probably more the end of this week.

They were checking the details received yesterday already, so yes probably will be emailed by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cornel08biz

Hi All,

Have anyone received the confirmation email?
    I hope that they will give us enough time to practice the tests...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dilw2

Nothing yet, it did say the 25th though

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

It's the 25th. Still no email. I only did the register your interest with the survey monkey bit. Did I miss out on something!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

milhous wrote: »
    It's the 25th. Still no email. I only did the register your interest with the survey monkey bit. Did I miss out on something!?

In fairness it's not even 9am yet. If this is your first experience of civil service recruitment you're in for a shock, nothing happens quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

Haha, Jaysus were you expecting it at midnight on the 25th? Calm down there a bit!

It's not an automated response

JamPack wrote: »
    Haha, Jaysus were you expecting it at midnight on the 25th? Calm down there a bit!

It's not an automated response

To be fair, it's increasing their workload as it says if you don't receive an email by the 25th call them.
    Given that's its a Friday of the bank holiday weekend, and that in the booklet the online tests are arranged for the end of October when would you suggest getting in touch?

Also it should be an automated response? Wasn't it just a register your interest kinda thing?

To be fair, it's increasing their workload as it says if you don't receive an email by the 25th call them.
    Given that's its a Friday of the bank holiday weekend, and that in the booklet the online tests are arranged for the end of October when would you suggest getting in touch?

Also it should be an automated response? Wasn't it just a register your interest kinda thing?

I assume we'll hear by the end of the day, it'll probably be the link to the online tests. So if keeping with the timeline posted above, we'll have until end of next week to complete them

I just got the email inviting me to do the unsupervised tests. If you havent gotten them, hopefully you will get them by the end of the day. If i remember rightly from the AO comp, it took a few hours for them all to come out, throughout the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 QuinnK80

Just received an email, online assessment to be completed by 1pm 31st Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mopsy06

Got an email regarding the unsupervised tests also ðŸ˜ðŸ€žðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trips

Hi all,
    What's the work like as an 'EO in tax, audit & compliance' with Revenue?

Bit on myself... I previously got through "qualification" for AO, but didn't make the final cut.
    I then tried for general Civil Service CO, and got that, was offered Revenue, but as I was a TCO in Welfare /DEASP at the time, and stayed there. Reason for that was that I was told (rightly or wrongly, I dunno) that a CO position in Revenue is basically like working in a Call Centre.
    And I'm now trying for an EO position.

So, if anyone can clarify the following regarding 'EO in tax, audit & compliance':
    1 - is it like working in a call centre?
    2 - what is the job like if not like a call centre?
    3 - Assessments:
    3.1 - Any tips on the "Chat Assess" part? ...I think I did something like this for the AO position, where it was all about prioritising your responses to emails and chat bots. Is the "ChatAssess" like that? Again, any tips, or links to practice websites out there?
    3.2 - Any tips on the numerical and verbal reasoning? I did subscribe to get access to careersservices.ie's practice tests, but they are all for Clerical and Administrative levels, with no EO level practice tests. Again any tips on finding EO level practice tests... all very much appreciated!

Good luck to everyone applying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

1. Nothing like a call centre. You might never take a call in the job.

2. First 6 months is all training. Very little on the job.

3. Look at who is talking to you. It matters a lot.

3.2 Practice.

Thanks for your response to 1, 2, 3.1 :)

Of course practice, yes. My question on 3.2 was for any tips or links on where to practice, cheers!

Trips wrote: »
    Thanks for your response to 1, 2, 3.1 :)

Of course practice, yes. My question on 3.2 was for any tips or links on where to practice, cheers!

There are links to practice posted further up the thread. Theres also a link in the email sent out today

dilw2 wrote: »
    There are links to practice posted further up the thread. Theres also a link in the email sent out today

Thanks.
    I've done those practice Verbal & Numerical tests at - http://getstarted.cut-e.com/home/ - before and was hoping for maybe any other links out there, if there are any. I've had no luck looking myself.

And i've read the ChatAssess blurb available, was wondering if there are any other practices available for that.... I guess not at this stage.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I took an hour this morning to get through the 3 tests.

I was happy enough with the numerical reasoning test. I got 30 of the 37 tasks complete and guessed the remaining 7

I was very disappointed with verbal reasoning test. I got a bit flustered in the 1st minute and it through me off completely. I got about 35 answered and guessed the remaining ones.

Chat assess was quite simple I thought. Breezed through it. I think I made a slight mistake though in that I should have answered the emails for the senior staffer in priority, but I got his tranche of emails finished 2nd, so I'm sure it won't have too much of an effect.

This really could have come at a better time other than over the midterm lol :D

• Advertisement

I took an hour this morning to get through the 3 tests.

I was happy enough with the numerical reasoning test. I got 30 of the 37 tasks complete and guessed the remaining 7

I was very disappointed with verbal reasoning test. I got a bit flustered in the 1st minute and it through me off completely. I got about 35 answered and guessed the remaining ones.

Chat assess was quite simple I thought. Breezed through it. I think I made a slight mistake though in that I should have answered the emails for the senior staffer in priority, but I got his tranche of emails finished 2nd, so I'm sure it won't have too much of an effect.

Cut-e use negative marking/scores for incorrect answers, this would not have been advisable.

Cut-e use negative marking/scores for incorrect answers, this would not have been advisable.

Didn't see that mentioned on the intro. In fact if I remember rightly the sample tutorial had mentioned about either skipping a question and coming back to it or simply guessing and moving on. Strange that they'd advise that as an option and not mention negative marking. Either way I'm not overly bothered, I'd love the job but it would involve a 20% pay cut that I dont think I can afford.

Hi ,

I did the 3 tests this morning and I was very disappointed by the 'verbal reasoning' ...
    When shall we receive the results?

Does anyone know what is the pass mark for these tests ?

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SarahJ100

Hi guys, I currently work in insurance, I have an accounting degree and I have worked in accounts before.
    Can anyone give an insight into what a typical day would be like? I know every day can be different in work but just in general.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wish I had read this about answering the chatassess in terms of seniority! Balls! I was just answering them as they came in, like I would do in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wish I had read this about answering the chatassess in terms of seniority! Balls! I was just answering them as they came in, like I would do in the private sector.

I did that for the AO comp and still passed so don't be too worried

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

I did do that to an extent but forgot to take into account their level of experience for their role when selecting an answer

The reasoning tests were a nightmare, wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy

Well they were kinda horrible. Should've done them early in the day and also maybe in a better environment; a fire on and lying down with a laptop may not have helped.

I didn't get too far on either verbal or numerical reasoning, I'd say just over half way. Neither were outrageously tough but tedious enough.

Will see how results are. Good luck to all.

I think I got about the same amount answered this time around as i did for the AO - tests were very similar :D

Hopefully similar results

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Rikand wrote: »
    I think I got about the same amount answered this time around as i did for the AO - tests were very similar :D

Hopefully similar results

Agreed. Thought the chatassess was tougher this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

The first two assessments sucked, thought I was flying through until I looked up and saw 4 minutes left and nowhere near half way through...

Thought I did well with the chatassess but think I went through it too fast, got through it all but it didnt end, waited two minutes for another message to come through but then noticed one message unanswered but with no orange tab, I must have flicked back after the message came in and didnt notice so no orange tab was on it, now I dont know how long that message went unanswered :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

I wonder when they will issue the results?

Hopefully we'll get the results by tomorrow...

The first two assessments sucked, thought I was flying through until I looked up and saw 4 minutes left and nowhere near half way through...

Thought I did well with the chatassess but think I went through it too fast, got through it all but it didnt end, waited two minutes for another message to come through but then noticed one message unanswered but with no orange tab, I must have flicked back after the message came in and didnt notice so no orange tab was on it, now I dont know how long that message went unanswered :(

Hard to know on the timing, 30 mins to do and it normally takes 20 mins, I was finished in about 15 mins. Were they looking for speed, who knows. Had a message missing too, just kept opening each one and found it then.

Thought I did well with the chatassess .... but then noticed one message unanswered but with no orange tab .... now I dont know how long that message went unanswered :(

I had a similar issue during my Chat Assess. Obviously no one knows until the results come out however I don't think it matters the order you answer the questions provided you answered all the situation question correctly & before the time (30 mins) ran out.

According to Cut-e "The test taker is presented with incoming real-life work messages from different people and responds by selecting from one of the answer options given. Based on the test taker response, subsequent questions or situations are presented. The test uses a simulated instant-messaging format and making for a more realistic and enjoyable presentation than traditional situational judgement tests."

It seems from that description, they are more interested in your response than the order or speed. It would be a different story if you finished in 15 min and ended the test, or if you allowed the 30 minutes to run out, without answering untagged messages.

Didn't see that mentioned on the intro. In fact if I remember rightly the sample tutorial had mentioned about either skipping a question and coming back to it or simply guessing and moving on. Strange that they'd advise that as an option and not mention negative marking. Either way I'm not overly bothered, I'd love the job but it would involve a 20% pay cut that I dont think I can afford.

"How fast do I have to work in order to pass the Online Assessment?
    Try to answer the questions quickly but carefully. However, in order to avoid oversights, you should not try to work faster than you did at school or during your studies. As incorrect answers generally affect the overall results negatively any oversights can affect the final result to your detriment."

https://www.cut-e.com/online-assessment/free-assessments/

"How fast do I have to work in order to pass the Online Assessment?
    Try to answer the questions quickly but carefully. However, in order to avoid oversights, you should not try to work faster than you did at school or during your studies. As incorrect answers generally affect the overall results negatively any oversights can affect the final result to your detriment."

https://www.cut-e.com/online-assessment/free-assessments/

That quote isn't saying anything about being negatively marked where responses are incorrect.

My reading of that passage is that working faster than you can will lead to oversight which leads to incorrect answers. Incorrect answers negatively affect the overall result. That's basically every exam ever. Nowhere does it say you will be deducted Mark's for incorrect responses.

That quote isn't saying anything about being negatively marked where responses are incorrect.

My reading of that passage is that working faster than you can will lead to oversight which leads to incorrect answers. Incorrect answers negatively affect the overall result. That's basically every exam ever. Nowhere does it say you will be deducted Mark's for incorrect responses.

"How are cut-e tests scored?
    Most of the cut-e tests will have points allocated for each answer you get correct, and for each incorrect answer - points are deducted. It is very important to pay attention as for each wrong answer as any incorrect answer will significantly affect your score.
    Your final score takes into account not only your correct answers, but also your incorrect answers."

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/cut-e-tests

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joe1979

Anyone hear anything yet?

Hi Guys,

Any feedback for the tests?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

Nothing yet here, really thought they would be out by today since the supervised tests are meant to be next Monday to Wednesday!

• Advertisement
Advertisement