Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter at it...

• 30-10-2019 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Transginger

I see Al Porter is interfering again :)

He should know to just keep the head down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Oh are we allowed name him now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Balmed Out wrote: »

Ahhh. We can discuss THAT one.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The judge noted he had no prior convictions and has not come to further Garda attention.

What does that mean for his other misdemeanours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

And next time he will mind his own business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Not entirely disappointed to find the thread doesn’t contain al porter going at it

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Not entirely disappointed to find the thread doesn’t contain al porter going at it

Oooooh Matron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I thought this was a bit ridiculous that this saw the inside of a courtroom at all. At the very most, he should've been told to get lost (even using more unparliamentary language if necessary). Maybe even a caution.

What a waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

recyclebin wrote: »
    The judge noted he had no prior convictions and has not come to further Garda attention.

What does that mean for his other misdemeanours?

Interesting wording, “has not come to further Garda attention”. It doesn’t say that he had never come to Garda attention before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is he a bit of a looder, I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I thought this was a bit ridiculous that this saw the inside of a courtroom at all. At the very most, he should've been told to get lost (even using more unparliamentary language if necessary). Maybe even a caution.

Yes, but it seems he stuck 2 fingers up ..........at the law .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Absolutely, guard probably recognised him and thought here's a high profile arrest, might help with the CV when i look to make sergeant

What happened here happens a few times each weekend in every medium sized town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

...followed by the usual verbatim report in the local paper "the defendant told the Garda to **** off,ye Free State bastard,etc,etc"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

"This is the only time I will give you a chance"

The judge said to someone with no prior convictions just before Johno with 376 previous offences was brought before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Amazing that people actually liked this guy, and pushed for him to be given massive amounts of airtime despite his terrible act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bit daft by the Gardai bringing that all the way to court, surely they could have just told him to leave the area instead of arresting him

I see Al Porter is interfering again :)

He should know to just keep the head down.

Head down,arse up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bit daft by the Gardai bringing that all the way to court, surely they could have just told him to leave the area instead of arresting him

They were greasing up their batons......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Just try to imagine what it was like listening to al porter at that time if the night. He was probably full up and giving it whole do you know who I am? He was probably warned loads of times to fūck off and didn't. Guard could have felt he had to arrest him because some clown would probably go to the papers and say porter was getting preferential treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Should have given him 6 months, would have been a good source of new material for his 'act'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Amazing that people actually liked this guy, and pushed for him to be given massive amounts of airtime despite his terrible act.

...and his material isn't that good either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Beckett Gentle Cabinet

Should have given him 6 months, would have been a good source of new material for his 'act'.

that wouldve been a holiday for him really not a punishment

You would be surprised at the amount of drunken ***** that can't mind their own business and won't
    **** off when told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Out on the lash in town with shag all else to do by the sounds of it.

Plenty of quips about " Is that your baton, Officer" and " aren't you going to take down my particulars "

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Ridiculous that so much Garda and Court time wasted on this ...be much better if gardai were empowered to issue a fixed notice with a fine of €250 for this kind of thing.

The legal wallahs have a vested interest in having low level matters like this going all the way to Court.

A very expensive way to give somebody a "Mind your own business" message .

Ridiculous that so much Garda and Court time wasted on this ...be much better if gardai were empowered to issue a fixed notice with a fine of €250 for this kind of thing.

The legal wallahs have a vested interest in having low level matters like this going all the way to Court.

Its grand giving someone a ticket and they going away but if they continue to interfere into the back of the paddywagon is the only solution

debok wrote: »
    Just try to imagine what it was like listening to al porter at that time if the night. He was probably full up and giving it whole do you know who I am? He was probably warned loads of times to fūck off and didn't. Guard could have felt he had to arrest him because some clown would probably go to the papers and say porter was getting preferential treatment.

You know what Id say you are right there. Gardai get onlookers interfering with their work all the time, they tell the rubbernecker to move on or out of the area. Not following the order of a Garda is an arrestable offence but they are not so trigger happy that they dont give someone a chance, plus they've more important work to be doing than making arrests for disorderly conduct. Id say Porter was sauced up at 3am and warned a number of times to butt out but he didnt so they had no choice but to arrest him.

You know what Id say you are right there. Gardai get onlookers interfering with their work all the time, they tell the rubbernecker to move on or out of the area. Not following the order of a Garda is an arrestable offence but they are not so trigger happy that they dont give someone a chance, plus they've more important work to be doing than making arrests for disorderly conduct. Id say Porter was sauced up at 3am and warned a number of times to butt out but he didnt so they had no choice but to arrest him.

Entirely agree....no criticism of the Gardai intended ...I would say the situation was exactly as you describe.

The fixed notice penalty probably was not appropriate in this particular case but might be useful in other situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What a non event.. reads like a guard going on a power trip

They should lock himself and Amy Schumer in a cell together for a month or until the first one dies of boredom from the others "jokes" about their genitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There is no doubt he was given that message multiple times on the night in question but ignored it.
    Sometimes a day in court and all the hassle and expense that goes with it is the best deterrent.

kippy wrote: »
    There is no doubt he was given that message multiple times on the night in question but ignored it.
    Sometimes a day in court and all the hassle and expense that goes with it is the best deterrent.

It may be the best Kippo...but my point was that it is very very expensive....and as a taxpayer I am paying for it .

Think about the amount of Court and Garda time taken up so that this dipstik could be told to mind his own business. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It may be the best Kippo...but my point was that it is very very expensive....and as a taxpayer I am paying for it .

Think about the amount of Court and Garda time taken up so that this dipstik could be told to mind his own business. ?

Ah I understand, I'd rather some resources used in this case were used to get some of those folks that attacked the fire brigade to court however I do think interfering with the work or emergency services while being given multiple chances to stop, should be treated as a very serious offence. A day in court is one way to do that.

lawred2 wrote: »
    No it reads ike some z list pisshead wannabee tryin to tell the guard how to do his job.
    I've no doubt he was told to butt out but his "fame" wouldn't allow him. Do you expect the guards to do their job and tolerate pissheads behaving like this?

• Advertisement

God why didn't they think of that? Or better still give Al a spin home, getting him chips and a battered sausage ( Oooh Matron!) on the way

kippy wrote: »
    Ah I understand, I'd rather some resources used in this case were used to get some of those folks that attacked the fire brigade to court however I do think interfering with the work or emergency services while being given multiple chances to stop, should be treated as a very serious offence. A day in court is one way to do that.

Agreed, But its mad to think that by the time you tot up the work of a couple of arresting guards, the seargent at the station, the solicitor in the DPP, the court clerks and the judge and sometimes a probation officer too Id say the cost of an arrest and court outing is at least 3,000 all up. And yet the judges slap them with a 150 fine, they should really be made pay the full cost of their stupidity back to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Assumming he fupped off when he was told to.

Agreed, But its mad to think that by the time you tot up the work of a couple of arresting guards, the seargent at the station, the solicitor in the DPP, the court clerks and the judge and sometimes a probation officer too Id say the cost of an arrest and court outing is at least 3,000 all up. And yet the judges slap them with a 150 fine, they should really be made pay the full cost of their stupidity back to the taxpayer.
    Sorry but common sense doesn't apply in the Irish justice system

Edgware wrote: »
    Sorry but common sense doesn't apply in the Irish justice system

Very true statement Edgy...."clean headshot" this poster would opine.....

A listen to the always excellent Paddy O'Gorman on RTE radio would confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Edgware wrote: »
    You would be surprised at the amount of drunken ***** that can't mind their own business and won't
    **** off when told

Seen it loads of times , it’s a thing with certain people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

The only person to blame here is kavanagh, everyone knows what gardai are like, if they give you grief you play to their ego, yes gard sorry gard and they generally let you be on your way, he must of been a right annoyance to get arrested, and lets be honest he has a history of trying to do whatever he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

lawred2 wrote: »

Or maybe Porter was being an obnoxious twat who wouldn't fook off and mind his own business.

Considering the other stuff we know I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this might be a distinct possibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Or maybe Porter was being an obnoxious twat who wouldn't fook off and mind his own business.

Considering the other stuff we know I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this might be a distinct possibility.

I wonder if this is to distract attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

A sexual assault case against Al Porter has just been withdrawn and struck out at the request of the State.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/sexual-assault-case-dropped-against-comedian-al-porter-38731829.html

Will we get to find out why it was dropped or is it just the magic hand of the DPP? I always find it remarkable how prosecutors in other countries have to face the media and tv cameras to explain their decisions whereas here we just have the uber secretive DPP. They really should be more accountable to the public.

Anyway is that Porter off scot free or is there another case pending?

Tea Shock wrote: »
    A sexual assault case against Al Porter has just been withdrawn and struck out at the request of the State.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/sexual-assault-case-dropped-against-comedian-al-porter-38731829.html

Great. He can make his return to showbiz on the L L Toy Show on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Tea Shock wrote: »

That pic would suggest a name change to Al Portly-er is on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Which case is this? Is the big one from a few years back or the most recent one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

razorblunt wrote: »
    Which case is this? Is the big one from a few years back or the most recent one?

Today's case has nothing to do with the multiple allegations that caused him to lose his job at Today FM

• Advertisement
Advertisement