Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Porter at it...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Boggles wrote: »
    It's ain't Brock, it's spot on, you just have to browse through the forum to see the same individuals on here vehemently defend men actually convicted of sex crimes.

Which men convicted of sex crimes get defended on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Genuine question, where is this defending of the convicted? And what does his sexuality have to do with anything?

I know this is an oldie but it always springs to mind.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/people-queued-to-shake-this-sex-attackers-hand-108061.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Effects wrote: »

That is rather bizarre and unsettling, even for Kerry. The poster was specifically talking about Boards being a bastion for defending men convicted of sexual assault though. Something I have yet to see on here.

To be honest, none spring to mind for me. But I can easily imagine there are posts like that here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I wonder will his career bounce back now.he has carl spain writing for him so i doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I wonder will his career bounce back now.he has carl spain writing for him so i doubt it.

:confused: do tell

Maybe he could make a new career as a ghost writer for other comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Maybe he could make a new career as a ghost writer for other comedians.
    Good luck with that. Most of the comedians of similar style died years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is he not working in a pub now? Plenty of opportunity for a late night grope of some unsuspecting drunk lad

retalivity wrote: »
    Is he not working in a pub now? Plenty of opportunity for a late night grope of some unsuspecting drunk lad

Which one? Gropans? Boners? The Brazen Hand? The Foggy Memory? Fuxelles? Finger Magees?

If anyone can come up with one for Doheny & Nesbitt you will have my eternal gratitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Which one? Gropans? Boners? The Brazen Hand? The Foggy Memory? Fuxelles? Finger Magees?

If anyone can come up with one for Doheny & Nesbitt you will have my eternal gratitude.

all i've got is something and NoseButt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Dickinme & Notits - best I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

He used to drink in The Cuckoo's Pest, nowadays you're more likely to see him eating chicken wings in The Elephant & Hassle.
    Cheap shots, I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Doheny & Nesbitofafingerupyourbum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Guy Person wrote: »

bit of a mouthful *snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Stupid act by a gormless man.

But there's definitely something "off" about the tone in some of the posts on the thread too.

Guy Person wrote: »

Thats the winner for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Spitting image of leslie crowther.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That is rather bizarre and unsettling, even for Kerry. The poster was specifically talking about Boards being a bastion for defending men convicted of sexual assault though. Something I have yet to see on here.

What?

Come on... Kerry is hardly some crazy place. It's hardly 'stab city' like Limerick, or 'the real stab city' like Dublin. Or 'the People's republic of Cork' like..well you know.

I mean-you've got a creepy individual like Porter (who's had rumours about him for years) who's getting defended by people on twitter, and in the media. High profile individuals too. (The case of the '50 people shaking your man's hand' only highlighted how community tends to work in small areas-if he'd been convicted of robbing a bank, they'd be queuing up too. It wasn't about sexual assault-no matter how many certain writers portray it as such).

Al Porter is from Dublin-he's had the likes of Brendan O'Connor, Graham Linehan, Jim Fitzpatrick and David McSavage (who retracted his defence later)defending him, in public-that's worse than a handshake outside of court. That's people using their profile to try and silence a victim (Keep in mind, the case had not yet gone to court when some of these statements were made).

I personally believe that Porter has done far more than he's letting on-there's too many stories and allegations surrounding the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What?

Come on... Kerry is hardly some crazy place. It's hardly 'stab city' like Limerick, or 'the real stab city' like Dublin. Or 'the People's republic of Cork' like..well you know.

I mean-you've got a creepy individual like Porter (who's had rumours about him for years) who's getting defended by people on twitter, and in the media. High profile individuals too. (The case of the '50 people shaking your man's hand' only highlighted how community tends to work in small areas-if he'd been convicted of robbing a bank, they'd be queuing up too. It wasn't about sexual assault-no matter how many certain writers portray it as such).

Al Porter is from Dublin-he's had the likes of Brendan O'Connor, Graham Linehan, Jim Fitzpatrick and David McSavage (who retracted his defence later)defending him, in public-that's worse than a handshake outside of court. That's people using their profile to try and silence a victim (Keep in mind, the case had not yet gone to court when some of these statements were made).

I personally believe that Porter has done far more than he's letting on-there's too many stories and allegations surrounding the guy.

what victim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What?

So "defending" someone who hasn't been convicted or even had a case against them is worse than shaking hands with a convicted sex offender?

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

So "defending" someone who hasn't been convicted or even had a case against them is worse than shaking hands with a convicted sex offender?

Cool.

There was a case brought against him, and investigations were ongoing too. At the time they defended him, he may very well have been guilty. You generally speaking don't make a public statement when someone is being brought to court over a very serious issue where there is another individual involved.

But how about this then-writing a letter defending a convicted rapist. Both cases happened in Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/priest-defends-reference-for-rapist-1.821941

Or this.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rapist-and-ira-member-is-a-good-christian-pastor-tells-court-38063154.html

The 'defending' a rapist (convicted)by priests, pastors, or as in the case of TD KAthleen Lynch and former Lord Mayor of Cork John Murray.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-censures-td-over-writing-to-judge-about-rapist-s-reputable-family-1.914762

It's all about community-small minded people in small communities coming out because they're 'friends with the family'.

People keep harking back to that Kerry incident-they don't realise this crap is happening every where.

There was a case brought against him, and investigations were ongoing too. At the time they defended him, he may very well have been guilty. You generally speaking don't make a public statement when someone is being brought to court over a very serious issue where there is another individual involved.

But how about this then-writing a letter defending a convicted rapist. Both cases happened in Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/priest-defends-reference-for-rapist-1.821941

Or this.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rapist-and-ira-member-is-a-good-christian-pastor-tells-court-38063154.html

The 'defending' a rapist (convicted)by priests, pastors, or as in the case of TD KAthleen Lynch and former Lord Mayor of Cork John Murray.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-censures-td-over-writing-to-judge-about-rapist-s-reputable-family-1.914762

It's all about community-small minded people in small communities coming out because they're 'friends with the family'.

People keep harking back to that Kerry incident-they don't realise this crap is happening every where.

None off that is pertinent to Al though is it?

He has not been convicted of anything.

Why he is been lumped in with actual convicted sex offenders is extremely bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Hope to god this doesn’t mean he’ll be back on tv.

He’s an absolute dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

None off that is pertinent to Al though is it?

He has not been convicted of anything.

Why he is been lumped in with actual convicted sex offenders is extremely bizarre.

It's kinda simple really.

Al Porter is Marmite.

People either love or hate him.

I personally can't stand him as a entertainer/comedian whatever.

Plus he is gay and camp.

Put those together and immediately, regardless of any due process, he has to be a sex pest etc.

Compare him to the Ulster rugby players, who are tough, strong, hard drinking, hard partying men.
    They get a lot of sympathy around here for the way they had their contracts terminated after revelations about their sexual adventures, which became public when they were charged with rape.
    However they have been able to find work easily, elsewhere, in their chosen profession.

Porter on the other had had to leave his job immediately after allegations were made and has not worked in it since, yet he has never even been charged with anything let alone convicted.

I'm neither a gay man not am I a woman, but from reading this thread and others about the rugby players I can in some tiny way understand how they feel threatened, marginalized etc.

He's getting lumped in because even though he hasn't been convicted of anything, plenty of people have stories about what he's like.

Plus he is gay and camp.

Put those together and immediately, regardless of any due process, he has to be a sex pest etc.

I know plenty of gay, camp men. I wouldn't say any of them are sex pests though.
    I do know people who had to deal with Porter, and were left shocked by his behaviour towards them.

He's getting lumped in because even though he hasn't been convicted of anything, plenty of people have stories about what he's like.

Hearsay and loose talk should not be "lumped" in with convicted sex offenders.

You would agree, yes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

They're stories. That's why we have courts and trials in the first place. To establish to the truth of an allegation (or as close to the truth as is possible to get). Anything else is hearsay and needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt.

I can't stand Al Porter, can't watch or listen to him, but the whole pearl-clutching "ohhhh no smoke without fire" attitude many people have is juvenile. A person is not a sex offender until they are convicted of a sexual offense. And yet this will never go away for him.

Maybe I'm living under a rock, but was there any indication of why the DPP chose to drop the charges? Very rare for them to do that when it comes to sexual assault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hearsay and loose talk should not be "lumped" in with convicted sex offenders.

You would agree, yes?

i've a story!

he pi$$ed off all his peers by leap frogging them successwise!

Advertisement