Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter at it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He should never be on a stage or TV screen imo. The site of him makes me sick, he was well known for groping men etc, I know one from first hand, he is still acting like the victim...he can f#ck off for good. Maybe do a different job and thank himself lucky he wasn't locked up.

The public and more importantly sponsors and businesses will decide- and I can’t see them signing up for his kind of humour - he’s done some writing for pantomime in the past I believe so maybe he could get a role as a gag writer or similar but I just don’t see the commercial value in on stage comedy that he’s trying to push- he’s going to have to accept that being a comedian means that not only do you have to be funny, you have to be socially acceptable so that the audience can relate to you - personally I think that train has left the station years ago - at this stage I think he’s just going to waste time and money on PR when it’s better spent on developing an alternative career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Was looking at the responses on his twitter to his little letter. sickening how he can just show all the positive responses from deranged people who love him for some reason, what about all the people who are furious about him trying to weasel his way back into comedy? like how come OJ cant just show positive tweets on his twitter?

if it was women he was grouping I wonder would you have all them people saying thigs like " we all make mistakes AL, head up and cant wait to see you back on stage"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If he is a comedian then he can turn up at open mic nights and try to make people laugh. If he is that good then he'll be booked and his career will progress naturally. It seems like he wants the easy route of being welcomed back by Official Ireland and given a show on RTE or whatever.

Funny comedians are unavoidable. If he is funny then he'll make it. He'll sell out the venues and he'll be given additional gigs. It seems to me like he doesn't actually believe that he is funny.

If he wants to get his gig back with official Ireland then he has to accept the career is over and he has to do what other Irish showbiz types do when the gig is up. He has to become an activist or "nutritionist"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Interesting the number of people replying to that tweet including some that would be in the media welcoming him back and saying he had a difficult few years.

If the victims were women I doubt the responses would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Rather than not being convicted of anything the charges were actually dropped.

So he wasn't charged with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your right they were dropped before it got to that stage.

He is still playing the victim and blaming his flamboyant personality for shoving his hands down men's trousers, the fact some people are welcoming him back with open arms is disgusting.

I’m not in anyway “outraged” like some people here in his attempt to relaunch his career - I just think it’s naive, somewhat egotistical and I’ll informed - a PR company will take your money but that’s a simple commercial transaction, not an endorsement that they think you’re great and are going to be successful- and considering the level of coverage in all papers this morning, it’s definitely a PR campaign- and there’s certainly print and tv interviews to follow

He would have been better off studying for an alternative career like interior design or fashion or even plumbing 😂

I wonder what talk shows will have him on and to what degree he’ll get a grilling - I imagine Joe Duffy will entertain the “cranks” who are as we speak, emailing his show “outraged” 😂

A comedian by their very nature need to have a level of credibility - you can’t take the pizz out of things and make people laugh if you have a case load of baggage yourself - you’ll just look quite sad and pathetic on stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

What did he say in his whatsapp again ?

"ripped a young lads hole open last night" or something like that ?

it is mostly women supporting him in his comments as well.

wasn't there some men with intellectual problems that accused him of grouping them? That alone should mean the end of him. also didnt he try this stunt before and no one cared? apart from a few confused people on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I found him about as funny as a kick in the balls. However, I wouldnt wish the last 5 years he's had on anybody. If he can get back to making a living more power to him

Although I did inadvertently see a WhatsApp of him **** which scarred me for life, **** WhatsApp groups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What do you mean he can show positive responses?

You wouldn't wish the last 5 years on him? why not? Do you think all the allegations are false or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

He admitted it

he is as bad as Kevin Spacey but this country will forget that

Sil Fox was wrongly accused of touching a woman, he will never be on air again

If he was innocent why would he say he let his family down and his partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Unfunny predatory sex pest

I’d prefer if he disappeared

100% of the responses are positive. how can that happen? can you control what is written on twitter? im not a member of Twitter so I don't know but I have seen others get both positive and negative responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As I'm sure you well know, they don't have to have been proven to be true. The level of proof required to gain a prosecution is quite high. He was charged with the offence(s). He admitted much of what was alleged. He didn't apologise for the craic. He didn't part ways with his employers/sponsors because he was entirely innocent of all charges. That he wasn't convicted does not equate to innocence.

But he wasn't charged with anything.

The charges were dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

They were. But what has that got to do with him admitting he did it?

Unless I'm very much mistaken he was charged. He wasn't prosecuted. You can be charged and not prosecuted. Just because the charges were dropped does not change the point that he was charged.

But if charges are dropped before a trial, which was the case here, then surely the person previously charged is entitled to the full presumption of innocence as if the charges are not even brought.

I'm no fan of Porter's comedy, but all the allegations against him have no standing thus he should be allowed continue to work as any of the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭DBK1

You’re leaving out the part where he admitted to most of what he was accused of and apologised for it.

Charges, prosecution, trial etc. is irrelevant in this case, he admitted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

So he lied when he apologised then admitting much of the behaviour? Ok, he's fully innocent, I'm wrong and you're right.

Note: the above may be sarcastic.

Just on a point of pedantry, it is not true to allegations against him have no standing. There is a world of difference in "the allegations against him have no standing" and "Gardai were unable to secure a prosecution".

Again, saying "all charges were dropped" is not the same thing as saying "this never happened".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the presumption of innocence only applies in a court room. people are free to come to their own conclusions. Given that the didn't even deny some of the allegations makes it clear to me that he is creepy little **** that should just feck off out of public life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On Twitter you can limit the replies to your tweet to only your followers so he probably just blocked anyone he thought might be critical of his come back, hence he has his own self curated echo chamber beneath his tweet full of positive tweets.

Anyway Im ambivalent about this. I dont want to see him or hear from him but at the same time I cant go on condemning him forever, I believe everyone has the potential to turn over a new leaf and they should be allowed prove that they have done so. He seems to have recognised what he did was wrong and thats the main thing as often the policy in sexual assault cases like this is to deny, deny, deny until they get away with it becasue the DPP cant prove it. At least he put his hands up, said he was wrong and has gone about sorting himself out.

In any case I dont think the radio stations or RTE are going to go near him, maybe in 2 to 3 years time they might provided he has kept his nose out of trouble. Im sure he could do smaller gigs though and he can make a living from it. He is not my cup of tea but many like that kind of camp comedy so he will sell tickets. He might just be better off going to London though, jesus if even Allison Spittle can make a living over there then anyone can.

• Advertisement

Has a book been opened yet on which of Porter or McDermott will get a comeback gig with RTE first?

As I write this, I am at the kitchen table of my parents’ house, where I live, in Tallaght.

Stay there please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

I find him as funny as a mass card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The language of "charged" v "prosecuted" gets muddled by people.

For non-indictable offences (those attracting a sentance of less than a year), the Gardai are empowered to lay the charge sheet and pursue a prosecution themselves.

For indictable offences, which must be heard before a jury, the Gardai may arrest, but the investigation file must be forwarded to the DPP and only on their perogative to prosecute is a charge sheet laid before the accused.

A charge and a prosecution may exist in tandem, but they are not one and the same.

The DPP discontinued their prosecution towards Porter before trial phase. Why that is we'll never know. They may have decided likelihood of a conviction was low (juries shooting down threadbare cases undermines the public's confidence in the system), or perhaps that the public interest (related to the above) or the victim/accuser's (choose your preferred noun in this case) interest wasn't served by bringing him to trial.

If the case was flimsy (I don't know this), Porter may well have been better off going to trial to have his name cleared by a jury of his peers. In which case, he may well have become a cause celebre - and in the public's eye a victim of a vexatious DPP. Or he may well have been convicted in which case he'd be filed alongside the grotesque and shameful.

Such is the way in cases like this. He now exists in a strange limbo.

It went to court- DPP then withdrew the prosecution

No explanation as to why- as you say it puts someone very much in limbo - whatever the reason it does seem unfair to all concerned

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/al-porter-sexual-assault-charge-20973561.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Middle aged couple sit down for the night to watch the Late Late. Ryan Tubridy introduces Al Porter.

Mary (After 2 minutes): “isn’t that that lad who was sexually abusing young fellas?”

John: “Ohh yeah. Creepy b**tard. Put something else on, I’m not watching this Mary.”

Thats Al Porters big problem. He’s just not funny enough for TV producers to risk people leaving RTÉ to watch Graham Norton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That post sums it up

if al Porter persists with his highly sexualised “comedy” the first thing people will think is “isn’t this the guy that had some sort of dodgy allegations against him” and yes of course some people won’t care but a lot of people will just switch off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This where al needs to be a comedy genius 😂😂😂his entire style is now completely irrelevant, so he needs to dig deep and come up with some actual comedy

louis ck is an actual comedy genius and he’s bouncing back now after wankgate

the only inaccuracies in the McD story is the age was out by a year , but the creepiness remains 😂

• Advertisement

1) Did you quote the wrong post there? There's no mention of McD in it

2) Is that true about the age being out by a year? I hadn't seen that reported anywhere (mind you I wasn't actively following it, so the last I'd seen was the statement his legal team released)

Looks like i did , and I’ll blame the site jumping posts for that , yes the girl in question was barely legal it turned out

Ah right. I'd say that makes Porter the 4/6 fav to be given an RTE gig so.

I’ve read a few Irish media radio presenters praising Al and welcoming him back.

Theres definitely conscious and unconscious bias taking place in some quarters - as someone in the thread has already mentioned, if it were a heterosexual male and females situation it would be a whole different story.

If he did it to me I’d deck him and he wouldn’t be “presentable” for TV hosting for a few weeks- but I’d leave it at that- no guards no nothing - but not everyone would be the same and such an act could harm some people much more than others. I don’t like where this is going- I don’t wish him evil but I don’t want to see him back on Irish radio or TV either

It seems that creep Chris Delia is back doing podcasts? all the comments under his videos saying how great it is that he is back, makes me sick.

I have no idea who Chris Delia is.

But surely if you don't like him and he does podcasts then it's very very easy to avoid him.

In reality it's almost impossible to listen to a podcast you don't want to.

• Advertisement

I'm just pointing out the fact that these predators can weasel their way back into the spotlight. it baffles me how people don't seem to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Still in school. At the same time legally the chap done nothing wrong it would seem. His career is ruined though.

Porter seems to be a different story altogether. He looks to have accepted that allegations were true. No way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Eoghan McDermott shares apology to ex-girlfriend Aoife Melia

Another “celebrity” looking to get back to the microphone -I do wonder what he feels he needs to apologise for? I read in another article that he apparently has improved himself over the last few years- that’s good isn’t it?

Daily mail readers appear to like the guy judging by the comments- maybe we’ll see him as a Daily Mail columnist someday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11048455/amp/Love-Island-voiceover-star-Eoghan-McDermott-confirms-split-longtime-girlfriend-Aoife-Melia.html

Was he cheating on the ex when he was seeing the school girl?

• Advertisement
Advertisement