Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Al Porter at it...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

i've a story!

he pi$$ed off all his peers by leap frogging them successwise!

I've a feeling this is a big part of why there is a story in the first place, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

wiggle16 wrote: »
    I've a feeling this is a big part of why there is a story in the first place, tbh.

I don't agree with that- I mean, you could argue the same thing happened with the likes of Des Bishop too. A lot of comics HATED him in the beginning because he was seen as good looking, and a promising comic. (His promise flamed out rather quickly, it has to be said.). The likes of Maeve Higgins has issues with him (As she said on his podcast). To be a comic, to be funny, and good looking, is kind of an insult to many comics.
    And then there are comedians who have some sort of bizarre 'conspiracy' that Bishop has ousted them from certain venues. (This one I learned from comedians on twitter - pretty much anyone who ever popped up on Brendan O'Connor's Cutting Edge and calls themselves a comedian has an issue with another comic in the industry-nearly all of them have some weird thing with Bishop).

Bizarrely-Porter was the one they didn't broadcast. Being a jerk-twitter's all over that. Being an (alleged) sexual predator... they keep quiet on.
    First time I saw any comment on porter was the likes of Jarleth Regan tweeting about him when he was first accused. Even when Tara Flynn was on twitter, bleating about 'white privilege' or 'toxic masculinity'... she wouldn't have a word with Porter to 'tone it down'?
    His act alone was questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

That is rather bizarre and unsettling, even for Kerry. The poster was specifically talking about Boards being a bastion for defending men convicted of sexual assault though. Something I have yet to see on here.

Kerry also gave us Judge Brian Curtin. His warrant was ruled out-of-date by one day.

Great little country.

wiggle16 wrote:
    Very rare for them to do that when it comes to sexual assault.

You're wrong there.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Kerry also gave us Judge Brian Curtin. His warrant was ruled out-of-date by one day.

Great little country.

Judge Curtin was born in London. Not Kerry.

Yeah-missed the 'curtain' by one day....

Does anyone believe that was an accident? Had to have had an insider who deliberately made sure the warrant was outta date.

• Advertisement

Judge Curtin was born in London. Not Kerry.

Yeah-missed the 'curtain' by one day....

Does anyone believe that was an accident? Had to have had an insider who deliberately made sure the warrant was outta date.

Didn't know he was born in London, do you have info on this?

Didn't know he was born in London, do you have info on this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Curtin

I didn't know he ran for Fianna Fail and the PD's... explains why his warrant was 'late'... *wink wink*...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Interesting that none of the media want to look into the case of the former Irish government minister accused of sex crimes in the border region.

But what was his standup like?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't agree with that- I mean, you could argue the same thing happened with the likes of Des Bishop too. A lot of comics HATED him in the beginning because he was seen as good looking, and a promising comic. (His promise flamed out rather quickly, it has to be said.). The likes of Maeve Higgins has issues with him (As she said on his podcast). To be a comic, to be funny, and good looking, is kind of an insult to many comics.
    And then there are comedians who have some sort of bizarre 'conspiracy' that Bishop has ousted them from certain venues. (This one I learned from comedians on twitter - pretty much anyone who ever popped up on Brendan O'Connor's Cutting Edge and calls themselves a comedian has an issue with another comic in the industry-nearly all of them have some weird thing with Bishop).

Bizarrely-Porter was the one they didn't broadcast. Being a jerk-twitter's all over that. Being an (alleged) sexual predator... they keep quiet on.
    First time I saw any comment on porter was the likes of Jarleth Regan tweeting about him when he was first accused. Even when Tara Flynn was on twitter, bleating about 'white privilege' or 'toxic masculinity'... she wouldn't have a word with Porter to 'tone it down'?
    His act alone was questionable.

Nothin to do with looks , he’s a bit of a cnt is he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

wiggle16 wrote: »
    They're stories. That's why we have courts and trials in the first place. To establish to the truth of an allegation (or as close to the truth as is possible to get). Anything else is hearsay and needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt.

I can't stand Al Porter, can't watch or listen to him, but the whole pearl-clutching "ohhhh no smoke without fire" attitude many people have is juvenile. A person is not a sex offender until they are convicted of a sexual offense. And yet this will never go away for him.

Maybe I'm living under a rock, but was there any indication of why the DPP chose to drop the charges? Very rare for them to do that when it comes to sexual assault.

But he admitted to doing it. He said it was part of his flamboyant persona.

• Advertisement

Nothin to do with looks , he’s a bit of a cnt is he not?

Oh yeah, NOW he is - but he wasn't always.

When he was starting out, he was genuinely trying-then somewhere along the way, he became an absolute douchebag.

In the beginning, he was trying. And I sort of started to see him improve-but then he started doing his 'shows'. Like, the stuff where he worked for minimum wage, which was entertaining. Mainly because he was using his experiences in his act.

But then he did the one where he was teaching people to be comics-and it was s**t. And then there was the one where he tried to learn Irish-and it was s**t. And apparently he had a conniption when he didn't win the ifta for it.

I think the last thing he did that more heartfelt, was the one off 'My dad was almost James Bond'. That was less about the comedy, more about his dad. And as someone who went thru that whole 'losing a parent to a terminal illness'-it was real. A lot of moments in there that were legit.
    (Sadly, Des has lost his mother since then).

But he let his ego get in the way-started doing his podcast to get attention back on him-he's meant to be interviewing comics, but let's be honest-it's about him.

And if rumours are true, he does tell venues not to book certain comedians.Or he doesn't-who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Effects wrote: »
    But what was his standup like?

Ooooh Matron! Don't be looking at my stand up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but who is Al porter? Literally never heard of him until now and even at that it sounds like he wants attention for nothing. I don't regonise photos of him at all so I haven't a clue what he's in or what he even does

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Febreeze wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but who is Al porter? Literally never heard of him until now and even at that it sounds like he wants attention for nothing. I don't regonise photos of him at all so I haven't a clue what he's in or what he even does
    he's a stand up comic who rehashes the Kenneth Williams, Kenny Everett in-your-endo act of the 1970s but with less style, originality and wit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Febreeze wrote: »

He's a stand-up comedian
    He hosted the lunchtime show on Today FM (as well as having done other media work) until be Nov 2017 when allegations of sexual misconduct were raised against him.

He left his job immediately

He has not been charged with anything to date.

He has not worked in media or as a stand up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Boggles wrote: »
    Hearsay and loose talk should not be "lumped" in with convicted sex offenders.

You would agree, yes?

I agree, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Lets give him a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Edgware wrote: »
    Lets give him a second chance.

Yes ..happy enough with that ...we need something to hit the headlines on a slow news day.

I have a feeling Al will provide it ..just give him time ....:cool:

Yes ..happy enough with that ...we need something to hit the headlines on a slow news day.

I have a feeling Al will provide it ..just give him time ....:cool:

I think because he lost money for TV3 (buying the rights to Blind Date, having to shelve the rest of the show) he'll be up against it.

Remember when he was posting screen grabs from boards.ie to get sympathy from his followers? Or when he managed to get the Sun to post a 'Al Porter suicidal' story that literally had zero relevance?

He got no sympathy from people-a few non-celebs on twitter, but that was it. He ended up deleting the thread entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I think because he lost money for TV3 (buying the rights to Blind Date, having to shelve the rest of the show) he'll be up against it.

Remember when he was posting screen grabs from boards.ie to get sympathy from his followers? Or when he managed to get the Sun to post a 'Al Porter suicidal' story that literally had zero relevance?

He got no sympathy from people-a few non-celebs on twitter, but that was it. He ended up deleting the thread entirely.

probably the same people who are trying to defend Rachel Allen's dopey son as a little "angel" as his mum makes some nice sauce..

• Advertisement

probably the same people who are trying to defend Rachel Allen's dopey son as a little "angel" as his mum makes some nice sauce..

I wonder if the guards who busted him on drugs charges thought they were being pranked-I mean, no way could someone be THAT much of an idiot.

Goes to london, buys drugs on the family credit card. Then has them delivered to the home address. When the guards busted him, he took out his wallet to show ID or whatever, and a bag of cocaine falls out.

You'd have to just be sitting there like 'is someone in having a laugh here? Are RTE making another prank show. Am I gonna be on TV?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I wonder if the guards who busted him on drugs charges thought they were being pranked-I mean, no way could someone be THAT much of an idiot.

Goes to london, buys drugs on the family credit card. Then has them delivered to the home address. When the guards busted him, he took out his wallet to show ID or whatever, and a bag of cocaine falls out.

You'd have to just be sitting there like 'is someone in having a laugh here? Are RTE making another prank show. Am I gonna be on TV?'

they allowed him (and i think the other son whose trying to be a f1 driver) to drop out of school at 15....i dont think he's the sharpest knife in the drawer...and her super mum/domestic godess image has to taken a hit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

they allowed him (and i think the other son whose trying to be a f1 driver) to drop out of school at 15....i dont think he's the sharpest knife in the drawer...and her super mum/domestic godess image has to taken a hit

Grandpappy not the sharpest tool in the box either

Even with that, there's not excuse for being 'THAT' thick. I know plenty of lads who left school early, to do apprenticeships or off to Ag. college or whatever.

They're a hell of a lot smarter than him.

And tbh, anyone that ever bought anything of the Allens can get lost. I know Marco Pierre White's son is kind of a tosser too, but he could at least use the excuse of 'broken home' for his douchebaggery (only mentioning him because he's on the REstaurant with aul' Rachel). It's not an excuse, but he's been to court quite a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd say the Allen's think that they're so special that they're above the law, if he gets of with a light sentence I hope it wont go unnoticed, it's about time they got a good dressing down.

Seamai wrote: »
    I'd say the Allen's think that they're so special that they're above the law, if he gets of with a light sentence I hope it wont go unnoticed, it's about time they got a good dressing down.

They have already proved they are above the law when granpappy got off with a fine.

They have already proved they are above the law when granpappy got off with a fine.

Yep, €22, 000 worth of drugs.... you're not walking away from that with a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It was coming. Well known for acting the maggot but mummy managed to keep it hush hush for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

razorblunt wrote: »
    It was coming. Well known for acting the maggot but mummy managed to keep it hush hush for ages.

I have two friends living in the area and even if only 10% of the stories doing the rounds about them are true, a good dressing down is long overdue.

• Advertisement

Yep, €22, 000 worth of drugs.... you're not walking away from that with a fine.

I still think what granpappy did was a lot worse.

Advertisement