Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Apart from the constitution protecting your right to protest it is also human right

I wouldn't waste time on this individual.

I wouldn't waste time on this individual.

Ah, lads. Don’t we have the constitutional rights to hold different opinions and debate them?

Ah, lads. Don’t we have the constitutional rights to hold different opinions and debate them?

Your own opinions yes, but your own made up facts no. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

No right-thinking person would defend violence but many decent people were really annoyed about introduction of water charges and took to the streets because they genuinely felt it was unfair and now, hearing that a family with a swimming pool won't pay a cent if they have no meter will only increase tension tenfold.

IW really need to come clean with the users and admit that the current plan is untenable. The Irish people are very understanding but they don't like being taken for fools and that's what's happening.

They said that they'd be sending out warnings to over-users in the third quarter of 2019. So how many warnings have gone out? If none have been posted (which is probably the case) does that mean nobody's over-using? Not one home in Ireland is using even one litre too much?

Every time they make a statement which is untrue - or issue a warning they don't follow up on - their credibility falls even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Apart from the constitution protecting your right to protest it is also human right

That isn't as clear-cut as you state. From your own post:

"There are other limitations on your freedom of assembly. You cannot meet on private property without the consent of the owner - that is trespass. Parades and processions are not illegal but it is a public nuisance to obstruct a highway. You may not hold a procession or meeting within half a mile of the Houses of the Oireachtas..."

Most protests I have seen have breached at least one of those restrictions. Certainly, the water charges protest in Tallaght was illegal, and the most recent climate protests that closed Merrion Square were also illegal, if your information is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

blanch152 wrote:
    Most protests I have seen have breached at least one of those restrictions. Certainly, the water charges protest in Tallaght was illegal, and the most recent climate protests that closed Merrion Square were also illegal, if your information is correct.

I don't agree with what happened in Tallaght but I'm not sure how anyone can say that it was illegal. The DDP charged 10 people & had half of these in court and had to withdraw the charges because they had no case. They knew that the judge couldn't find them guilty.

I'm not saying that it was legal but the DPP couldn't prove that it was illegal

I don't agree with what happened in Tallaght but I'm not sure how anyone can say that it was illegal. The DDP charged 10 people & had half of these in court and had to withdraw the charges because they had no case. They knew that the judge couldn't find them guilty.

I'm not saying that it was legal but the DPP couldn't prove that it was illegal

They were charged with false imprisonment, which is a different charge.

What isn't clear from the information provided is whether such a protest is simply illegal or whether it is a crime to organise or participate in such a protest.

The judge couldn't find them guilty as the evidence from several Garda was inconsistent and in some instances without credibility. The judge with remarkable restraint held back from calling several of the Garda that took to the stand liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The judge couldn't find them guilty as the evidence from several Garda was inconsistent and in some instances without credibility. The judge with remarkable restraint held back from calling several of the Garda that took to the stand liars.

Maybe the reason was they weren’t liars.?

Or couldn't be proven as liars?

A lot of folk on here seem to think that it’s quite easy for the Guards to manage what was a vicious threatening mob with limited numbers, with abuse and other raining down on them, with the safety of people,themselves, and all involved, their responsibility.

To then stand up in court under forensic investigation by lawyers being paid under free legal aid and recount chapter and verse as to what happened is not a bit easy.

Do I recall correctly that those charged declined to give evidence?

A lot of stuff happened there, and such was the feeling at the time that no jury would convict these people.

There was tweeting from the court room, it is alleged.

Very dark chapter in our recent history folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

blanch152 wrote:
    They were charged with false imprisonment, which is a different charge.

blanch152 wrote:
    What isn't clear from the information provided is whether such a protest is simply illegal or whether it is a crime to organise or participate in such a protest.

If they could have charged them with J walking they would have. The fact that they weren't charged definitely suggests that they couldn't be charged

• Advertisement

A lot of folk on here seem to think that it’s quite easy for the Guards to manage what was a vicious threatening mob with limited numbers, with abuse and other raining down on them, with the safety of people,themselves, and all involved, their responsibility.

To then stand up in court under forensic investigation by lawyers being paid under free legal aid and recount chapter and verse as to what happened is not a bit easy.

A lot of stuff happened there, and such was the feeling at the time that no jury would convict these people.

Garda willing to lie under oath, very dark indeed. Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Do you believe the guards attended court based only on what they could recall from memory?

It's not like they had access to CCTV, and each other to get their stories straight.

If they could have charged them with J walking they would have. The fact that they weren't charged definitely suggests that they couldn't be charged

Again, I have pointed this out several times before.

Not everything illegal is a crime.

For example, slander and libel are illegal, but they are not crimes.

Garda willing to lie under oath, very dark indeed. Totally agree

Were there Gardai charged with that offense, can’t seem to remember any?

Were there Gardai charged with that offense, can’t seem to remember any?

Ah Brendan you know as well as I do they weren't but even the dogs in the street know some of them on the stand lied.
    You know the judge made it clear he didn't accept some of what the Garda claimed, notwithstanding their evidence was in conflict with video evidence. The charges the defendants were brought to court on carried a life sentence would you be happy to send people to prison for circa 25 years on that type of testimony?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A dark chapters in our history when it came to people coming to power on the back of bare faced lies.

Labour running on a manifesto of no mater metering and once they had their feet under the cabinet table a quick about turn. To quote Pat Rabbitte "Isn`t that what you do during an election"

We also had FG promise of a world class service before metering.

Both parties appeared to think no jury would convict them either. General election 2016 proved them wrong

charlie14 wrote: »

A dark chapters in our history when it came to people coming to power on the back of bare faced lies.

Labour running on a manifesto of no mater metering and once they had their feet under the cabinet table a quick about turn. To quote Pat Rabbitte "Isn`t that what you do during an election"

Both parties appeared to think no jury would convict them either. General election 2016 proved them wrong

The Plummer won’t be too happy with that offering,buddy.

Best start swinging the delete stick.

charlie14 wrote: »

It was the late FF Minister Brian Lenehan who started the ball rolling with water charges in 2009. In fairness to him, he didn't foresee the almighty mess which would be made by those who came after him.

I see someone's broken the quote function again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Benedict wrote: »

It was the late FF Minister Brian Lenehan who started the ball rolling with water charges in 2009. In fairness to him, he didn't foresee the almighty mess which would be made by those who came after him.

Sarcasm? I'd imagine he didn't give two f***s. He would have blamed Lehmans or Ballygowan or something.

• Advertisement

A quote from today's Journal.ie. Phil Hogan is talking to Ivan Yates and said of IW (copied & pasted from Journal.ie)

"It’s still there and it’s doing a good job.”

Perhaps a better job would be to shred the current plan (before it shreds them), admit it's a disaster and begin again.

The Irish public are very forgiving if you're honest with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A quote from today's Journal.ie. Phil Hogan is talking to Ivan Yates and said of IW (copied & pasted from Journal.ie)

Perhaps a better job would be to shred the current plan (before it shreds them), admit it's a disaster and begin again.

so if 'Water Ireland' appeared in a few months you'd be on board?

Any chance you’d provide a link to whatever you copy and paste?

Hogan has form in making poor decisions and walking away from the push back.

Wouldn’t give the lad too much credence.

Dunno if this is what they're referring to with the journal, but they had this article this morning, which I found very interesting, Irish Water loved to throw our money about like confetti it has to be said.

Mad when you think FG/Lab kept telling us we were on our knees with the countries finances, yet there was money a plenty for their pipe dream.

The five most memorable moments from the disastrous campaign to introduce household water charges

Dunno if this is what they're referring to with the journal, but they had this article this morning, which I found very interesting, Irish Water loved to throw our money about like confetti it has to be said.

Mad when you think FG/Lab kept telling us we were on our knees with the countries finances, yet there was money a plenty for their pipe dream.

The five most memorable moments from the disastrous campaign to introduce household water charges

There’s nothing in that article like Benedict copied and pasted.

There’s nothing in that article like Benedict copied and pasted.

No I think Benedict might have been reading an article that's a few years old to be fair.

However there was an article in the journal detailing the disastrous attempt to introduce water charges by the previous govt.

No I think Benedict might have been reading an article that's a few years old to be fair.

However there was an article in the journal detailing the disastrous attempt to introduce water charges by the previous govt.

There was, yes. However, Benedict “copies and pastes” articles without posting a link to the actual article.

I could respond to M84's comments - but she first needs to address the issue of how IW can know if a house without a meter is using excessive amounts and the extent of that usage so that an appropriate fine can be imposed.

This challenge is still live and needs to be addressed.

She appears to be the only contributor who insists that this is possible and we would all love to hear evidence - or an admission that she is withdrawing the claim.

• Advertisement

She appears to be the only contributor who insists that this is possible and we would all love to hear evidence - or an admission that she is withdrawing the claim.

Let it go lad . You've asked several times you ain't going to get a coherent answer. MA has made lots of claims about IW and has been wrong more often than she has been right. ;-)

Advertisement