Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Well I did not see that coming... I would love to see an O Line comparison from the week before, Sam certainly moved around the pocket better and released quickly but I'd love to know did the O Line actually get any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

hots wrote: »
    Well I did not see that coming... I would love to see an O Line comparison from the week before, Sam certainly moved around the pocket better and released quickly but I'd love to know did the O Line actually get any better?

80% better - 2 sacks vs. 10 :D:D

NFL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Optimism of Dallas win well and truly smashed. I know we have some bad teams coming up but we are well capable of losing to them. 5 win season at max I think. Saw an interesting tweet about Gase. Out of 55 games coaches he has lost 24 by double digits and only won 24 games. 21 wins are between 1-9 points and only 3 by double digits. Doesn't inspire confidence for the future. One comment mentioned that Macc was equally as bad picking coaches as he was picking players. Hopefully Joe Douglas can be the GM to take us out of this losing cycle.

Optimism of Dallas win well and truly smashed. I know we have some bad teams coming up but we are well capable of losing to them. 5 win season at max I think. Saw an interesting tweet about Gase. Out of 55 games coaches he has lost 24 by double digits and only won 24 games. 21 wins are between 1-9 points and only 3 by double digits. Doesn't inspire confidence for the future. One comment mentioned that Macc was equally as bad picking coaches as he was picking players. Hopefully Joe Douglas can be the GM to take us out of this losing cycle.

I still believe the Gase criticism is too early, we've now seen 3 games of Gase imo, and even then missing some key pieces, one unexpected win against a dangerous enough Cowboys team, edged out by the Bills in his first competitive game and spanked by a very strong Pats D.

I'm not sure what playcalling changes in yesterdays game tbh, the line crumbled, Sam made some very poor passes (50% because of pressure and 50% poor play imo) and on defense we have abysmal corners. I think you still have to judge him at the end of the season (or close to it). If you consider it a 13 game season and we finish with a "winning" % (7 wins) you'd have to call it a successful year. I reckon there's 8 winnable games left, we need to take 6 of them I reckon.

Last night was fcking awful though.

• Advertisement

Yesterday's embarrassment has ensured I'm skipping the game in NJ on Thanksgiving weekend. Probably will watch it on local TV and drown my sorrows.

I still believe the Gase criticism is too early, we've now seen 3 games of Gase imo, and even then missing some key pieces, one unexpected win against a dangerous enough Cowboys team, edged out by the Bills in his first competitive game and spanked by a very strong Pats D.

I'm not sure what playcalling changes in yesterdays game tbh, the line crumbled, Sam made some very poor passes (50% because of pressure and 50% poor play imo) and on defense we have abysmal corners. I think you still have to judge him at the end of the season (or close to it). If you consider it a 13 game season and we finish with a "winning" % (7 wins) you'd have to call it a successful year. I reckon there's 8 winnable games left, we need to take 6 of them I reckon.

Last night was fcking awful though.

I see your point be if he only has to win "winnable" games then the bar is set very low. Coaches will have to take some responsibility for bad O line play and the schemes that are being run. It just looked like they weren't prepared at all. Last week the Cowboys really focused on stopping the run and Darnold gashed them. Did Gase and co really believe the Bellicheck wouldn't come after Darnold and gameplan accordingly. Jets have 4 games left against teams actively trying to lose (Dolphins Bengals Redskins). Then possible winnable games versus Jarguars, Giants, Raiders and Steelers. Maybe we can pick up 6 wins from that. 7 wins might look ok on paper to some but if you take into account how far we are away against good teams I can't have any confidence in Gase.

I see your point be if he only has to win "winnable" games then the bar is set very low. Coaches will have to take some responsibility for bad O line play and the schemes that are being run. It just looked like they weren't prepared at all. Last week the Cowboys really focused on stopping the run and Darnold gashed them. Did Gase and co really believe the Bellicheck wouldn't come after Darnold and gameplan accordingly. Jets have 4 games left against teams actively trying to lose (Dolphins Bengals Redskins). Then possible winnable games versus Jarguars, Giants, Raiders and Steelers. Maybe we can pick up 6 wins from that. 7 wins might look ok on paper to some but if you take into account how far we are away against good teams I can't have any confidence in Gase.

I think 7 wins out of 13 (removing non-Sam games) is pretty solid mind, in a normal season that's wildcard contention and that's about right for our level of talent imo... meaning in my eyes Gase would have got about the 'right' level of performance out of the team (while missing 2 massive defensive pieces too).

The OLine I agree entirely, I cannot see much improvement if any (at least Edoga is getting blooded in at both tackle spots I suppose). What frustrates me more is the lack of scheming to help it... maybe you can say Gase hasn't got a FB and has had mixed TEs but surely there's a way to give that line some more help. Wesco has hardly seen the field and was drafted as a blocking TE, he must be awful in practise. No Enunwa either for dropping into the H Back spot.... I'm not sure what the answer is but surely there's some extra help that could be given.

Oh and the Osemele situation is very concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Oh and the Osemele situation is very concerning.

Such a strange situation and the way both sides are handling are bizarre! The fact that Osemele only decided he wanted shoulder surgery after he was dropped for Lewis (who has been preforming much better) makes me a little bit suspicious considering he needed to start x amount of games to get around 9 million, but if he goes on IR he gets it regardless.

Yup very dodgy, and will only get worse imo, I assumed he was pulling the stunt looking for a trade?

• Advertisement

Latest stick to football podcast has a segment about fixing the Jets. Well worth a listen even if you dont agree with all they say. Gives an idea of how the Jets are viewed by non fans and pundits.

Latest stick to football podcast has a segment about fixing the Jets. Well worth a listen even if you dont agree with all they say. Gives an idea of how the Jets are viewed by non fans and pundits.

In the middle of listening now, they reckon we can get better than a late 3rd round pick for Leo? If that was the case we should jump at it.

I agree with their Edoga take for sure, let him play out the year now. Still don't agree on the coaching calls, Greg Williams would be a strange cull (unless you're cleaning all coaches) imo.

I pretty much agree on all their free agent / keep suggestions. Poole has been a positive, dump Leo, dump expensive O Line, dump Roberts... No idea how we fix Tru Johnson, just eat the cap hit? Disagree on aiming for a WR1 round 1 next year, if it's not OLine it has to be corner I think, but OLine is definitely top priority.

I agree with their Edoga take for sure, let him play out the year now. Still don't agree on the coaching calls, Greg Williams would be a strange cull (unless you're cleaning all coaches) imo.

Cant see Gase ever being the answer but also don't think the Jets will fire him. If he does go I think it would be a clean sweep and all coaches will go. Wouldn't bet against Williams being the sacrificial lamb at the end of this season if things get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

After two straight losing seasons with the Dolphins Gase was fired. I couldn’t understand why the Jets 'braintrust' thought he would turn things around in New York. He will probably be given one more season before being fired... right after giving him a guaranteed extended contract. That seems to be the Jets way.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Cant see Gase ever being the answer but also don't think the Jets will fire him. If he does go I think it would be a clean sweep and all coaches will go. Wouldn't bet against Williams being the sacrificial lamb at the end of this season if things get worse.

Now that would be an awful outcome, if anyone goes it has to be Gase.

Now that would be an awful outcome, if anyone goes it has to be Gase.

Would agree 100% but I would say he is the most likely Jets coach not to be there next year.

Kelechi Oseleme has been released. Really odd situation and the Jets FO definitely didnt do a good job handling it, makes you wonder if they'll struggle to get free agents on board next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Gase gets another season, jets win 4-5 games this year and Gase works with coaching staff. Jets win 6 games next season and he's fired and the rebuilt is in full tilt. At least the Browns have hope.

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Gase gets another season, jets win 4-5 games this year and Gase works with coaching staff. Jets win 6 games next season and he's fired and the rebuilt is in full tilt. At least the Browns have hope.

Unfortunately I can see it happening. If the Jets lose today I can see the only wins coming against teams trying to lose: Dolphins x2, Bengals and Redskins. It's not even a guarantee to win all those but with 5 wins Gase probably stays. The only way he probably goes is if there is something off field and if there is two losses against the Dolphins.

Watching it. Defense can't get off the field. Tiresome. Being torn up by some guys named Minshew and Chark. Seriously? This isn't Montana and Rice ffs.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Watching it. Defense can't get off the field. Tiresome. Being torn up by some guys named Minshew and Chark. Seriously? This isn't Montana and Rice ffs.

Painful to watch. Getting them into 3 & long but not able to cover. Have to wonder about the scheme and lack of adjustments when same thing keeps happening. On the other side of the ball Sam looks shaky but any QB would behind that O line. On the last sack Kallil blocks nobody and Lewis is like a revolving door. Our cant miss 1st rounder is riding the bench and the player we could have drafted (position of need) is sacking our QB.

Bit of a head scratcher. Jets trade Leonard Williams to Giants for a third round pick in 2020 and fifth round in 2021. Not sure why the urge to dump Williams and that seems like fairly low return for former high first rounder who has had flashes of being good. But like so, so many Jets draft choices, didn't live up to the hype.

Are we soon to be looking at Darnold the same way? I think he's been as expected, but the team is so intrinsically awful he hasn't had much chance.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/28/jets-trading-leonard-williams-to-rival-giants/

Igotadose wrote: »
    Bit of a head scratcher. Jets trade Leonard Williams to Giants for a third round pick in 2020 and fifth round in 2021. Not sure why the urge to dump Williams and that seems like fairly low return for former high first rounder who has had flashes of being good. But like so, so many Jets draft choices, didn't live up to the hype.

Are we soon to be looking at Darnold the same way? I think he's been as expected, but the team is so intrinsically awful he hasn't had much chance.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/28/jets-trading-leonard-williams-to-rival-giants/

That's about as good a return you could have expected for Williams, he's been a massive disappointment imo and would have probably been looking a 3rd/4th comp for him. There's no way the jets were going to resign him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Alright with that. Would question effort from our Len. 3rd rounder next year will be mean jets have two early 3rd round picks!

NY Post running a tweet showing Christopher Johnson saying "I hope the team shows up" to a fan at the start of the Jacksonville game. Well, they were on the field but I expect Johnson's disappointed.

As someone that's seen many MANY Jets losses, this is feeling like deja vu all over again. Ahh well, basketball's started (ugh!)

Jets twitter on fire with rumours that Bell is about to be traded. Might just give up if that happens and we keep Gase.

Jets twitter on fire with rumours that Bell is about to be traded. Might just give up if that happens and we keep Gase.

Jesus if Bell does go you'd have to think Adams would want out too, they are the voice and top performers of the team and have both been pros throughout this **** show.

• Advertisement

Jesus if Bell does go you'd have to think Adams would want out too, they are the voice and top performers of the team and have both been pros throughout this **** show.

Latest rumour is Adams to the Cowboys possibly. Cant justify trading away what little talent the Jets have.

Advertisement