Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They should cancell the centre now. Too much bad blood and to be frank I fear what will happen if this is imposed on the locality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Interesting the way the bent on Morning Ireland phrased this debate this morning.

She equates moving hundreds of unemployed, unemployable asylum seekers into a town/village with hundreds of employed workers coming to live in a town/village.

And worse still she is not challenged on this grossly unfair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bubblypop wrote: »
    Death threats & criminal damage to Quinn holding directors & everyone (rightly) condemns.
    Death threats & criminal damage to a TD & no-one believes it.
    Both in the same area.

Typical posters on here just believing whatever they feel like, no matter the evidence.

Hmmmmmm, same people who are first into terrorism threads telling people that it's wrong to speculate etc. suddenly feel that their speculation is right and correct. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,756 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They should cancell the centre now. Too much bad blood and to be frank I fear what will happen if this is imposed on the locality

What do you mean?

Morning Ireland and RTÉ should be brought to book over this sensationalism talking about the “far right” as If squadrons of goosestepping SS are marching around rural Ireland.

It’s ordinary decent ppl like you and me crying halt stop the madness and if the politicians have any cop on they will heed the ppl

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    It's not a center. It's 20-25 self contained 3-4 apartments.

Which have been left idle for 10 years.

Leitrim towns and villages have been campaigning for years for people to move into their localities, including Ballinamore. Suddenly that has been paused, services, something, etc.

Maybe they are just picky and don't want possibly the dregs of some other country who offer nothing.
    And before the usual outrage from the usual suspects, a fair few of what has passed for asylum seekers and refugees that have come into Europe are those not fleeing oppression, but justice.

And maybe those in Leitrim want people who will offer something to the local community and not just a drain on already scare resources.

Maybe people in the West are getting sick of some fookers in the likes of Dublin (maybe even some in Wicklow) calling for their communities to become dumping grounds for God knows who, just so that they can self congratulate themselves for how good the Irish are taking in all these new arrivals to Europe.

Achill is now getting 38 asylum seekers.
    38 men to be precise.

Where are the women and children I hear someone ask ? :rolleyes:

jmayo wrote: »
    And maybe those in Leitrim want people who will offer something to the local community and not just a drain on already scare resources.

You don't get more services unless you get more people.

Not viable for the people who provide these services.

Morning Ireland and RTÉ should be brought to book over this sensationalism talking about the “far right” as If squadrons of goosestepping SS are marching around rural Ireland.

It’s ordinary decent ppl like you and me crying halt stop the madness and if the politicians have any cop on they will heed the ppl

Maybe you, I have never sent a death threat and burnt out anyone's car.

Please just speak for yourself lad.

You don't get more services unless you get more people.

Not viable for the people who provide these services.

One would think.
    But this is Ireland, the same country that dumped the population of a small Irish city in Tallaght with nothing for nearly decades. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have brilliant idea. Can we send the morons who are burning places, sending death threats and beating up people to the countries the refugees came from. There will be plenty of space and services for people in direct provision then.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmm, same people who are first into terrorism threads telling people that it's wrong to speculate etc. suddenly feel that their speculation is right and correct. :rolleyes:

No speculation here
    Merely pointing out double standards by posters

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Maybe they are just picky and don't want possibly the dregs of some other country who offer nothing.
    And before the usual outrage from the usual suspects, a fair few of what has passed for asylum seekers and refugees that have come into Europe are those not fleeing oppression, but justice.

Maybe people in the West are getting sick of some fookers in the likes of Dublin (maybe even some in Wicklow) calling for their communities to become dumping grounds for God knows who, just so that they can self congratulate themselves for how good the Irish are taking in all these new arrivals to Europe.

Achill is now getting 38 asylum seekers.
    38 men to be precise.

Where are the women and children I hear someone ask ? :rolleyes:

That is completely unfair. As I have shown, the facts are that the populations of Dublin City and Fingal contain two of the three highest proportion of non-nationals. Admittedly Galway City was top, but that is a particularly cosmopolitan city.

The rural counties are near the bottom with the likes of Donegal, Offaly, Galway County etc. near the bottom.

Mayo has around half the proportion of Galway City.

Gatling wrote: »
    I wasn't referencing the gardai investigation

What are you referring to then? You said there is no evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What are you referring to then?

Poster's

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is completely unfair. As I have shown, the facts are that the populations of Dublin City and Fingal contain two of the three highest proportion of non-nationals. Admittedly Galway City was top, but that is a particularly cosmopolitan city.

The rural counties are near the bottom with the likes of Donegal, Offaly, Galway County etc. near the bottom.

Mayo has around half the proportion of Galway City.

Oh blanch152 are you getting afraid that some of the FG voters are going to jump ship?
    Well they will.

For instance Michael Ring knows which side his bread is buttered and has already come out and said this is not on.

You can try use your stats, but comparing Fingal and Dublin city to a rural county, with small population centres is totally incorrect comparison.

Dumping a hundred or more "migrants"/"asylum seekers" into a small town/village like Ballinamore, Oughterard, Rooskey is in no way comparable to dropping a few hundred or more into somewhere in North County Dublin.

And dumping 38 men, from god knows where, into a small village in Achill is no way fooking comparable.

And it looks like you are also conflating these asylum seeker migrants with just foreigners or non nationals.
    Anyone with a passing interest in Ireland would know damn well that Dublin area is much more cosmopolitan than anywhere else in Ireland and a lot of that is the attraction of foreign "WORKERS" to our most industrious city.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh blanch152 are you getting afraid that some of the FG voters are going to jump ship?
    Well they will.

For instance Michael Ring knows which side his bread is buttered and has already come out and said this is not on.

You can try use your stats, but comparing Fingal and Dublin city to a rural county, with small population centres is totally incorrect comparison.

Dumping a hundred or more "migrants"/"asylum seekers" into a small town/village like Ballinamore, Oughterard, Rooskey is in no way comparable to dropping a few hundred or more into somewhere in North County Dublin.

And dumping 38 men, from god knows where, into a small village in Achill is no way fooking comparable.

And it looks like you are also conflating these asylum seeker migrants with just foreigners or non nationals.
    Anyone with a passing interest in Ireland would know damn well that Dublin area is much more cosmopolitan than anywhere else in Ireland and a lot of that is the attraction of foreign "WORKERS" to our most industrious city.

Don't understand your references to FG.

All I am saying is that urban Ireland has been better at absorbing our immigrant population, so it makes sense when organising further immigration to look to rural Ireland to provide balance.

Dumping a hundred or more "migrants"/"asylum seekers" into a small town/village like Ballinamore

They are not "dumping" them because they are humans and not waste.

Again these are 20-25 self contained 3-4 bedroom apartments not a converted hotel.

Maybe you, I have never sent a death threat and burnt out anyone's car.

Please just speak for yourself lad.

I don’t condone it but just stop for one second and think how utterly frustrated and angry ppl are in these communities. Do u ever realise that

I don’t condone it but just stop for one second and think how utterly frustrated and angry ppl are in these communities. Do u ever realise that

Sure who is asking them to do anything?

It's 20-25 self contained apartments laying idle that people who have been dealt a bad hand in life will move into.

http://www.ballinamore.ie/

According to their website, it's a vibrant village with plenty to do for people who chose to visit or live there.

as I have said, some of the loudest people have plenty to say.
    & they will shout loudly at other locals who have no issue with the asylum seekers.

I know you like to think the whole town is up in arms against these people moving there, but they are not.

• Advertisement

Wow. Didn’t realise that about yer man the Cameroonian but in my own experience I have heard the foulest racist and sexist language from non nationals mainly from Africa and some from Australia before I myself am accused of racism, over the years.

The school seems like it certainly needs more students.
    After a 46 year wait and much campaigning on the part of the community, 6th October marked the official opening of the new 4 acre €8 million state-of-the-art community school.

The facilities are superb with each room taking full advantage of the natural light. The school boasts classrooms, science labs, computer rooms, gym, sports hall, language room, engineering room, construction room, demonstration room with theatre seating, drama, religion and meditation room, canteen, lecture halls and outdoor courts are all fitted to the highest specifications and standards to maximise the potential of students.

The four acre site also includes a training football pitch, five basketball courts which can be used for a variety of sports, dressing rooms, polytunnel, bus shelter, car park and one way pickup/drop off traffic system.

The school currently has 25 teachers and just under 300 students. The new school is built to facilitate approximately 400 students.

GP center sounds well equipped.
    Ballinamore has an excellent daytime GP service with an efficient out of hours service provided by Now Doc. Within the GP surgery services include: optician, physiotherapist, chiropodist and dietician.

I'm not seeing a lack of services here, what exactly are they highlighting?

The main thing you will notice if you come to Ballinamore with the intention of doing business is that people are very welcoming and will go out of their way to help you out. You will experience a lot of good will.

The town is serviced with numerous solicitors and accountants practises.

Financial instititutions include AIB, Credit Union and Post Office.

Research and Administration is facilitated by the County Library situated in Ballinamore. Public use of internet and photocopying facilites is available. The wider Ballinamore area is fully serviced with Broadband.

For a town of it's size, Ballinamore offers an extraordinary range of pubs, restaurants, shops and professional services.

Someone isn't telling the truth here.

Boggles those facilities are perfect for tourists and student visitors etc.

Not asy seekers depending on what - 20 euro a week? From the taxpayer

And often they have a range of mental and physical sickness. It’s not “apples for apples” in these cases. You don’t get the complexities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Frustrated and angry about what exactly? They've a state of the art school, which need students and a medical centre which would be the envy of most large towns in the country. I think the person or people who selected the location for these asylum seekers got it right.

And often they have a range of mental and physical sickness. It’s not “apples for apples” in these cases. You don’t get the complexities.

schools and health services?
    not for assylum seekers?
    what services are not there then that they would need?
    are those not the very services you want built in a huge Mosney to cater for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

what services are not there then that they would need?

Just having a look round and they also have broadband, a post office, financial institutions, a public library, legal services, pubs and restaurants. For a population of 900 people, the facilities are excellent.

Is there a certain medical facility for students and a different type for refugees or asylum seekers?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They are not "dumping"

That's exactly what there doing .

Dumping migrants on towns who neither want or care for them ,

No point putting in services for people who likely will be refused refugee status and served deportation orders

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Just having a look round and they also have broadband, a post office, financial institutions, a public library, legal services, pubs and restaurants. For a population of 900 people, the facilities are excellent.

It sounds like the only thing this town is lacking, is people.

The lack of services spiel is clearly nonsense.

Advertisement