Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well I’d be of the view that whatever she’s saying it’s probably wrong

Why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭gjim

Gatling wrote: »
    Apparently anyone that doesn't believe in unchecked mass migration ,or trans rights are far right .
    Eh no. "Far right" has a fairly well understood meaning in the context of European politics. It's a hateful doctrine with a very ugly history.

I've yet to hear anyone - except some purist libertarians, none of whom are Irish - suggest that unlimited unchecked immigration would be a good idea.

So that's either a silly/strawman definition or an attempt to soften/legitimise what it means to be "far right".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Because your proposed system is inhumane, ghetto and prison like, does not foster integration and requires huge resources to build the facilities you speak of, current facilities around the country can already be used, your proposal requires new facilities. Its unworkable, expensive and a really bad solution for asylum seekers.

It’s not inhumane nor is it a ghetto nor is it prison like

I am proposing a system that fast tracks decisions so that asy seekers are given a decision ASAP. Grant or deny. If they are granted they are out and given their papers and can integrate into Irish society and more luck to them sincerely.

If they are refused then deportation process kicks in and they are back in their home country ASAP and as efficient as possible. It’s a win win for the asy seekers the citizens and the system.

As for integration which you go on about I’m all for integration classes in the centre but I’d give equal importance to actually, ya know, enforcing deportations. So I am happy to deal with both sides of the coin.

A big plus to my solution is that asy seekers are given a decision quickly and none of this business of being in centres for years complaining about the facilities.

Also my solution gets rid of this craic of little centres dotted around Ireland which is a failed model and is unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Why?

I took a quick skim of Gemmas twitter there. Most of it is lunacy.

I wouldn't believe her if she said it was raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gemma O'Doherty is more or less saying it was the far right over on twitter. Just sayin.

So Gemma is now a legit source because it fits what you want it to be ?

• Advertisement

It’s not inhumane nor is it a ghetto nor is it prison like

I am proposing a system that fast tracks decisions so that asy seekers are given a decision ASAP. Grant or deny. If they are granted they are out and given their papers and can integrate into Irish society and more luck to them sincerely.

If they are refused then deportation process kicks in and they are back in their home country ASAP and as efficient as possible. It’s a win win for the asy seekers the citizens and the system.

As for integration which you go on about I’m all for integration classes in the centre but I’d give equal importance to actually, ya know, enforcing deportations. So I am happy to deal with both sides of the coin.

A big plus to my solution is that asy seekers are given a decision quickly and none of this business of being in centres for years complaining about the facilities.

Also my solution gets rid of this craic of little centres dotted around Ireland which is a failed model and is unworkable.

Integration classes is not practical integration. You cant claim to be pro integration when you want to create a huge ghetto like institution with its own ghettoised services that keeps asylum seekers entirely separate from the population. Everything you propose is the complete opposite of integration. You dobt want asylum seekers integrated in our towns, our communities, our schools or our hospitals. You want separate segregation and institutionalism. Everything you promote is utterly anti integration.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So Gemma is now a legit source because it fits what you want it to be ?

Lol.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

ebbsy wrote: »
    **** me.

You’ll have to send a photo first

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Integration classes is not practical integration. You cant claim to be pro integration when you want to create a huge ghetto like institution with its own ghettoised services that keeps asylum seekers entirely separate from the population. Everything you propose is the complete opposite of integration. You dobt want asylum seekers integrated in our towns, our communities, our schools or our hospitals. You want separate segregation and institutionalism. Everything you promote is utterly anti integration.

Hold on whoa whoa

Asylum seekers are in a process - they have applied to be either granted or refused asylum in Ireland.

The process determines whether to grant or deny asylum
    While in the process I propose they should get integration classes etc.

The ppl who are granted asylum should get further integration classes etc and integration exams at the end

The failed asylum seekers have no need for further integration as they have been presented with deportation orders.

They’ve been told by the state that they are being deported. Call me crazy but those deportations should be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Migration and the free travel area between Uk and Ireland could prove to be the Achilles heel in the brexit agreement.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hold on whoa whoa

Asylum seekers are in a process - they have applied to be either granted or refused asylum in Ireland.

It's common sense and it's being shouted down funny that one voice ,one opinion everyone else is wrong .

They should be exactly what you suggested holding centers with access to medical and education and if your denied straight from the holding center to a flight back to the country of origin.

We know for a fact the majority of asylum seekers failed in their applications ,we know across Europe the majority aren't fleeing anything and are purely economic migrants seeking the easiest route to Life long benefits and housing .

A processing center makes total sense if they are genuine asylum cases which are actually few and far between they can be moved to an integration center where they are educated on laws ,customs and expectations before they are sent out to the world as we know it .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Hold on whoa whoa

The ppl who are granted asylum should get further integration classes etc and integration exams at the end

The failed asylum seekers have no need for further integration as they have been presented with deportation orders.

They’ve been told by the state that they are being deported. Call me crazy but those deportations should be enforced.

Did you contact any of your local representatives about your suggestions and if so what responses did you receive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Gemma O'Doherty is more or less saying it was the far right over on twitter. Just sayin.

Well, as requested on the thread earlier, I'd love to know who this far right group is. Sensible suggestions only please. Combat 18, the EDL or loyalist paras, the only suggestions I've seen so far, have no interest in the RoI.

Integration classes for what? Do you want the people who come to Ireland to become Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Berserker wrote: »
    Well, as requested on the thread earlier, I'd love to know who this far right group is. Sensible suggestions only please. Combat 18, the EDL or loyalist paras, the only suggestions I've seen so far, have no interest in the RoI.

Doesn't have to be an organised group to set fire to a car

A person doesn't have to be part of the far right to do that either. Nothing to tie this to the mythical far right, apart from some shoddy journalism and hard left politicians trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a few more votes.

Or attack people carrying out a legal eviction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Berserker wrote: »
    Integration classes for what? Do you want the people who come to Ireland to become Irish?

Yes, what's the point otherwise?? If people come to Ireland are willing to learn our culture and share their culture then I have no problem with them becoming Irish. They also need to contribute to society and our tax system.

However we have to be ready to take them in. We are not ready. We need to get our own **** together without over burdening ourselves at the same time. I'd like to see the government stop taking Asylum Seekers in right away and housing them wherever some big shot local with Celtic Tiger notions thought it would be a fantastic idea to build a hotel in the back arse of nowhere

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

So if you don’t agree with the progressive left you are “far right”

I am old enough to remember what the real far right looked and sounded like

Big mistake pigeonholing people like this

Ah yes. These must be the radical centrists I keep hearing about

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just to say I don’t condone the attack but you’d hope that the sf guy thinks again and maybe supports the locals from now on instead of jumping on the racist bandwagon in the dail.

That craic is too easy. Ppl see through it straight off.

He should apologise or else maybe resign and let a proper representative of the town take his dail seat and tell Leo and the rest of them what they think of this “forcing asy seekers on ppl who do not want them” attitude

So an democratically elected official receives death threats and has his car burned out in his drive way and you think he should apologize and resign?

Looney tunes.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Had an early morning phone call from a friend/ex work colleague who lives near the town in question.

Said the locals are beyond disgusted with this sf tds activities in the last while.

Apparently locally he’s well known for being a drama and attention hoor. Ppl are exasperated at this stage and just want him to step down.

But again ppl on this thread seem to totally dismiss what local ppl think on such issues so dismiss away!!

It’ll come back to bite them in the next election by the sounds of it.

Had an early morning phone call from a friend/ex work colleague who lives near the town in question.

No you didn't stop bullshíttíng.

Didn't you claim you had family living in Courtstown as well?

Remember those lies you were spreading?

Beyond sad really.

Boggles wrote: »
    No you didn't stop bullshíttíng.

Didn't you claim you had family living in Courtstown as well?

Remember those lies you were spreading?

Beyond sad really.

Sorry I actually do have family down there. And that story is far from over either.

And while I was chopping firewood (great home gym activity by the way) first thing I got a phone call from my friend this morning at 7-15. He filled me in on what’s going on there.

But dismiss away!! Keep at it lads. Keep dismissing local Irish ppl’s concerns and issues.

Sorry I actually do have family down there. And that story is far from over either.

And while I was chopping firewood (great home gym activity by the way) first thing I got a phone call from my friend this morning at 7-15. He filled me in on what’s going on there.

But dismiss away!! Keep at it lads. Keep dismissing local Irish ppl’s concerns and issues.

tenor.gif

Boggles you’re going to have to accept you are very much in the minority on a number of issues in this country. Try and gain some insight and wisdom from local ppl who have serious issues. You never know - you might learn something. Here’s hoping.

Boggles you’re going to have to accept you are very much in the minority on a number of issues in this country. Try and gain some insight and wisdom from local ppl who have serious issues. You never know - you might learn something. Here’s hoping.

You mean like your "family" in Courtstown who claimed there was no Kilkenny connection to the recent assaults there?
    It’s emerged a number of the arrests in connection with the Courtown sexual assault case, were made in Kilkenny this morning.

Three juvenile males and one adult were taken into custody after three girls reported being sexually assaulted and one of them said she was raped in the Burrow area of Courtown Harbour on July 28th.

Two of them are currently being detained in Kilkenny Garda Station this evening.

Boggles wrote: »
    You mean like your "family" in Courtstown who claimed there was no Kilkenny connection to the recent assaults there?

Not getting involved in a totally separate off topic issue. If u are really interested in the courtown issue pm me

Had anyone seen the alleged threats at all ?

Not getting involved in a totally separate off topic issue

I never asked you to, I'm just pointing out your "sources" in the past have been less than accurate.

Anyway I have to go chop some wood (great workout).

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Had anyone seen the alleged threats at all ?

The Gardaí.

Are you claiming he wasn't threatening?

Advertisement