Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

• 29-10-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Entry to the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon lottery will be open from the 1st November to 30th November 2019 ONLY.

There will be a registration fee of €15 per lottery entry which will be fully refundable if the applicant is not successful and fully redeemable against entry fee if the applicant is successful. Registrants will learn their entry status via SMS and email between 3rd January to 10th January. Successful entrants will have until 31st January 2020 to redeem the offer.

Wonder will it affect popularity - having to wait until January to know if you can get in or not...

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Was going to sign up - I have no luck with lotteries :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There will be 22,500 places available for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon, with a number of these places allocated to Athletics Ireland membership. Athletics Ireland members will qualify under the Good For Age standards and can apply on April 1st and must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership.

More info needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not familiar with the "good for age standards". Anyone know what they are and what count as qualifying races?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A better place for this question, what is the benefit to a lottery system as opposed to just "first come first served"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

17685 runners out of 22,500 entries this year. That seems above the normal percentage of no-shows on average. I know personally of quite a few entries that were going unused last week, was thinking to myself that demand was starting to level off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

I cant see one. Creates a hype? Very disappointing. Everyone is still on their marathon buzz today - would be an ideal day to open up a general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You dont have bucket loads of people trying to apply on the same day and crashing the servers - as what happened last summer when they released more entries..

Also totally fair on everyone; regardless on level or ability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

So since 2016 I've run or volunteered DCM but the fairest way I can enter 2020 is via a lottery, thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

A better place for this question, what is the benefit to a lottery system as opposed to just "first come first served"?

In a strange way it will attract more entrants. A lot of people like to brag that they got an entry for something that is completely sold out. Same thing use to happen with Kerry Way charity cycle. I remember people who never cycled in their lives signing up so that they could talk sh**e about getting in etc.

Same thing with the Ballycotton 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You can charge everyone €100 rather than having it €70 for the first group of tickets, €80 for the second group and €90 for the remainder.

Minor point but you can't purchase a ticket as a Christmas Present now (even as a present to yourself) as they notify you in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I wrote this on the Dublin marathon fb page but will put it here also.

Disappointing to hear this. Curious as to why a lottery is necessary for all given it’s the national championship so AAI clubs entrants should have a different entry system. If it’s not the national championship anymore then fair enough with the lottery for all. Hopefully the entries won’t be taken up by people who have no real interest in the training for the event but get sucked into the hype. Please ensure a transfer system is put in place to give those who really want an entry every chance to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

MAIN POINTS

There will be 22,500 places available for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon, with a number of these places allocated to Athletics Ireland membership. Athletics Ireland members will qualify under the Good For Age standards and can apply on April 1st and must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership.

Lottery event open to the public from November 1st to Saturday 30th November at midnight via a public webpage which will be hosted by Eventmaster. This will be the only time period of which an application for entry to the KBC Dublin Marathon can be made.

Applicants will be obligated to enter all registrant information required to satisfy the 2020 event and will be charged €15 to enter. This fee will be refunded if not successful by the end of August 2020 or will be offset against entry fee if successful.

KBC Dublin Marathon to select successful lottery applications randomly but in a manner to ensure that the current balance of Irish and overseas runners and runners of all abilities is maintained.

Eventmaster will issue SMS to be sent to the successful applicants with a direct link to register for the event. Access link will direct the user to their registration page on the 2020 marathon event with the data from the lottery pre-populated – Name, email, gender, DOB, mobile will not be editable, ensuring that only the selected applicant can use that lottery link. Fee of €75 to enter (€90 less €15 already paid) + additional purchases and booking fee (€3) as normal. Successful applicants will have until MIDNIGHT 31st January to use the link. Email reminders will be issued.

Applicants who have been unsuccessful with will receive an email to inform them.
    Any places not redeemed will be offered via lottery system to those originally unsuccessful from 4th February to 7th February 2020 with offers needing to be redeemed by 14th February.

Refund option opens from June 2nd to June 15th, 2020. A refund of 70% of the entry fee will be returned once your application has been accepted. The refund will be available on “Manage My Bookings” from your entry confirmation link. This will be the only opportunity to avail of a refund for 2020.

Any unallocated numbers to be offered to any unsuccessful lottery applicants on July 1st -July 7th, 2020 with offers needing to be redeemed by14th July.

Refund issued of €15 to those that were unsuccessful.

Source - https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/dublin-marathon-entries-to-be-decided-on-lottery-basis-from-next-year-38641404.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

tunney wrote: »
    Wonder will it affect popularity - having to wait until January to know if you can get in or not...

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/

In fairness I wouldn't decide on till April/May if i was running Dublin.
    Won't be doing it next year.

Volunteers and club members should have first call on the entries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I wonder the ratio of Irish to non Irish runners....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Worth mentioning that they have also introduced a refund option (70%), which is definitely warranted, given the early entry close:
    Refund option opens from June 2nd to June 15th, 2020. A refund of 70% of the entry fee will be returned once your application has been accepted. The refund will be available on “Manage My Bookings” from your entry confirmation link. This will be the only opportunity to avail of a refund for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Whenever somebody criticizes the organizers of the DCM the first rebuttal is that it's run by volunteers and only one full time employee.

Well they have made things a 100 times more complicated for the volunteers and for what reason? So in theory you give €15 in November and they'll hold it until possibly the middle of July?

Surely the easiest thing for a group of volunteers is have the maximum amount of tickets sold as early as possible. Ticket sales start the 1st of November and sell out the 15th of November the volunteers can now forget about ticket sales and concentrate on other aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Stark wrote: »
    Not familiar with the "good for age standards". Anyone know what they are and what count as qualifying races?

Don't see any mention of them , but they need to make the standards available soon. In my opinion they need to be a lot slower then the GFA for London as every club runner should be able to enter if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Stark wrote: »

Don't think they have been announced here but used in plenty of marathons.

Here are the Boston numbers

https://www.baa.org/2019-boston-marathon-qualifier-acceptances

Similarly London are here

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

Would imagine they will be in line with this general ball park

Can't imagine they will be too strict on the races for criteria given how few are AIMS certified in Ireland so Imagine the likes of Limerick, Longford, Belfast, Galway, Connemara, Cork, Derry, Dingle and Tralee probably be taken.

Possible they could accept MCI but I wouldn't be banking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Whenever somebody criticizes the organizers of the DCM the first rebuttal is that it's run by volunteers and only one full time employee.

Well they have made things a 100 times more complicated for the volunteers and for what reason? So in theory you give €15 in November and they'll hold it until possibly the middle of July?

Surely the easiest thing for a group of volunteers is have the maximum amount of tickets sold as early as possible. Ticket sales start the 1st of November and sell out the 15th of November the volunteers can now forget about ticket sales and concentrate on other aspects.
    Fairly sure it will be a paid company doing this part for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This is a strange decision? I know the race is popular now... but it sells out in weeks, not hours.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    You can charge everyone €100 rather than having it €70 for the first group of tickets, €80 for the second group and €90 for the remainder.

But you could just do that anyway?

€100 each, first come first served, 70% refund in July if you need it. Job done and everybody knows where they stand as it is a totally impartial system, if you really want a place then get in there early and get one.

I can't see what a lottery system gets them except a load of extra admin.

But you could just do that anyway?

€100 each, first come first served, 70% refund in July if you need it. Job done and everybody knows where they stand as it is a totally impartial system, if you really want a place then get in there early and get one.

I can't see what a lottery system gets them except a load of extra admin.

You would think that but unfortunately the amount of negative PR they get from people who don't sign up in time and b!tch and moan that sells out too early

The one benefit is people have an opt out in Jan before transfers later in the year.

KSU wrote: »
    You would think that but unfortunately the amount of negative PR they get from people who don't sign up in time and b!tch and moan that sells out too early

The one benefit is people have an opt out in Jan before transfers later in the year.

The people who don't sign up in time will still not have signed up in time, you still need to sign up in November, so they will still end up bitching.

And for those unsure whether they really want to take part or not is there really much difference between November and January? Enough of a difference to make this all worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I have not put my 2019 race number in the bin yet.... may become useful next year

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

Re. GFA places, am I reading correctly that these will only be open to Athletics Ireland members ie not overseas runners? This is very different to the marathon majors where the qualifying standards are openly the target for many people's other races...

The people who don't sign up in time will still not have signed up in time, you still need to sign up in November, so they will still end up bitching.

And for those unsure whether they really want to take part or not is there really much difference between November and January? Enough of a difference to make this all worthwhile?

Very too they certainly won't be able to win but my guess is less excuses about having the full amount in time it's only 15e to reserve.

The amount of people that sign up post marathon while the buzz is still around in November though see's alot of people change there mind after 4-6 weeks to be fair.

You will always get people complaining but they do seem to take things on board and try improve year on year to be fair to them.

justdoit wrote: »
    Re. GFA places, am I reading correctly that these will only be open to Athletics Ireland members ie not overseas runners? This is very different to the marathon majors where the qualifying standards are openly the target for many people's other races...

GFA are for UK based in London marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

KSU wrote: »
    GFA are for UK based in London marathon.

Ah, my mistake. I thought they were open to all. i believe Boston (BQ) is international?

I'll enter the lottery regardless. Even with demand outstripping supply, chances are certainly higher than London's ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

I would not be surprised if the large number of No shows on Sunday caught them by surprise but this lottery based system was very likely outlined last spring after the quick sell out and rubber stamped by the additional resale in July which crashed the system.

They had committed to it and may have anticipated a large sell out on day of release this year.

What has been surprising is that the detail seems to be drip fed all morning rather than been very clear and covering all areas for entry.

Another year on old system with transfer system may have been better advised.

Lot of disgruntled people about.

The goodwill from Sunday seems to have evaporated very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

the fact it is only €15 to enter lottery is going to mean a lot of people do it just in case
    think it should be full price to enter lottery

they dont seem to be holding places for charity fund raiser runners which i think London does

In any case i think this is disappointing for previous runners not to get a better chance

Advertisement