Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Esse85 wrote: »
    It doesn't paint John Kavanagh in a great light, the misdiagnosis of Khabib's fighting style. Conor believes that's what cost him the fight along with lack of focus.

The whole world had the same opinion.
    Khabib dominates on the ground/takedown game. Conor dominates on the feet.

The result for many hinge on whether Khabib could get the take down early. Nobody predicted Khabib landing big shots standing, or Conor repeated stuffing takes downs in later rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Mellor wrote: »
    The whole world had the same opinion.
    Khabib dominates on the ground/takedown game. Conor dominates on the feet.

The result for many hinge on whether Khabib could get the take down early. Nobody predicted Khabib landing big shots standing, or Conor repeated stuffing takes downs in later rounds.

I think if they fight again conor should go all guns blazing from the off. Anyone that is tentative and tries to avoid a takedown, ultimately still gets taken down and then it is game over. Best chance to win is knocking his block off in rd 1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think if they fight again conor should go all guns blazing from the off. Anyone that is tentative and tries to avoid a takedown, ultimately still gets taken down and then it is game over. Best chance to win is knocking his block off in rd 1

He tried that in the first fight and it played right into Khabib's hands. He needs to do what he does best. Keep his distance and hit Khabib on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

By end of 2020 Conor could be Champ cubed!!

How does that make him champ cubed? He'd have two belts, one of which is a made up joke belt.
    If we are being honest what cost Conor the Khabib fight was lack of focus since the Alvarez fight.

Or maybe what cost him the fight was that Khabib is better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mixed opinions about what to make of this. It's uneasy viewing that this is all unfolding on a Proper 12 junket. Of course, he never looks a gift horse in the mouth to make a few bob but it's still evidence of competing interests. Nevermind all the other stuff happening back here.

To be fair, Cerrone is the ideal opponent. Let's see what's up. It's been a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Anyone other than Cerrone would be a huge risk.

I really want Gaethje though, granted I think Gaethje would beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

sonofenoch wrote: »
    But he was at the time and Champion having just beat RDA and Pettis .......or are we only counting Alvares as of now?

Nope, Felt Pettis should have got the nod against him tbh he was a big underdog against RDA they'd even given event free to UFC FP subscribers. Things lined up well for Eddie and in turn for Conor.
    Homelander wrote: »
    He made a fool of Alvarez, and knocked Diaz down several times in the rematch, and Diaz is not known for being knocked down like that.
    Yup he was impressive one way traffic. He scraped the Diaz rematch in the end having lost the previous fight, so clearly others were more deserving of a title shot with proper win streaks behind them but can't blame Eddie for the fight with the most pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor really needs someone to help him brush up on his oratorical presentations.....It's utter cringe...

And make your mind up.....is it Mos co or Mos cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Mixed opinions about what to make of this. It's uneasy viewing that this is all unfolding on a Proper 12 junket. Of course, he never looks a gift horse in the mouth to make a few bob but it's still evidence of competing interests. Nevermind all the other stuff happening back here.

To be fair, Cerrone is the ideal opponent. Let's see what's up. It's been a minute.

I hate this crap more than i hate the mc nugget crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Conor Cowboy would be a cracking fight, standup clinic that could get Conor back on the win column with a highlight reel tko just as easy as cowboy can weather the storm and pick apart a tired Conor, would be such a interesting fight.

https://twitter.com/niallmcgrath4/status/1187366733604151297?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Are people actually expecting him to turn up in prime condition? Beat a top 5 fighter? Earn a khabib rematch, outsmart him with a game plan?

If he is lucky I’d say he might make a good showing at this charity event. If he is lucky the charity event might happen and he can use it to say he did some good in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Conor is looking at a Ricky Hatton type situation he lost to Diaz and managed to get a quick turnaround on a rematch winning it too but the boxing stuff took too much time and effort leading to the Khabib fight which didn't go according to plan a fresh return now against whomever ends in defeat again there's no coming back, if it ends as a win it'll have to be one hell of a scalp to boost Conor back to the top of the ranks facing the winner of Tony and Khabib.

Tony Ferguson would be a challenge on Conors best day it would be a great fight to see, Khabib would be a circus in Moscow too much controversy already but add the political nonsense that would spoil out and I can't see Dana White wanting anything of that. Khabib would win a rematch between him and Conor sad to say. Hopefully his comeback fight will be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

rogieop wrote: »
    I hate this crap more than i hate the mc nugget crap.

"These hands"

"That smoke"

On the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭robwen

"As far as the opponent, I have the opponent’s name, but for me, the game I am in and from experience, if I was to give you people the name, which I would love to do, the UFC would flip it. Because they’re a crafty company.

What does he mean they would flip it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

robwen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1187323667304325120?s=19

Cerrone or Gaethje with Cerrone the frontrunner now according to Helwani, then the winner of Diaz & Masvidal & then the winner of Khabib Ferguson, if Khabib fight in Russia with no alcohol this time

I USED to be a huge fan and advocate of Conor, seen him fight on the small cards way before he hit the UFC, now, i hope in his next fight he gets completely and utterly destroyed. Cannot stand him and the way he carries on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

scudzilla wrote: »
    I USED to be a huge fan and advocate of Conor, seen him fight on the small cards way before he hit the UFC, now, i hope in his next fight he gets completely and utterly destroyed. Cannot stand him and the way he carries on
    I was a huge fan and tbh I don't like the way he has acted for the past two or three years. He used to be funny and then he became just nasty like trying to be a bad mofo or something. I'm sure Dana White was behind all that but it's still not nice imo.

I don't hate him though and there are lots of worse guys in the UFC. I don't get how people get to a stage where they want to see a guy, who they really don't know, get the crap kicked out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Maybe it's because I'm a casual UFC fan and not a die-hard but, I couldn't care less I'll be supporting him. His return should be fascinating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭RoryMac

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was a huge fan and tbh I don't like the way he has acted for the past two or three years. He used to be funny and then he became just nasty like trying to be a bad mofo or something. I'm sure Dana White was behind all that but it's still not nice imo.

I don't hate him though and there are lots of worse guys in the UFC. I don't get how people get to a stage where they want to see a guy, who they really don't know, get the crap kicked out of him.

I think it's a bit of a leap to say Dana White is behind the change in him, it would look to me like McGregor let the money go to his head and always had a bit of a nasty streak.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Maybe it's because I'm a casual UFC fan and not a die-hard but, I couldn't care less I'll be supporting him. His return should be fascinating to watch.

Everyone will be watching the ones who pretend to care least for him will watch most with added investment, Say what you will but there is no better excitement in the UFC than a McGregor build up and fight night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Love to see him jump in this weekend against Masvidal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

robwen wrote: »
    What does he mean they would flip it?

If he announced which opponent he was fighting, the UFC would then change the opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Effects wrote: »
    If he announced which opponent he was fighting, the UFC would then change the opponent.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Why?

To stop conor having the same power he used to have.

He's their heel now, not the golden boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

To stop conor having the same power he used to have.

He's their heel now, not the golden boy.

His journey now is one of redemption and reclaimed glory.
    If he follows through on what he said in Moscow, and was to beat say Cowboy or even Gatche/Poirer in Jan, Diaz or Masvidal in summer, and Khabib in Moscow towards end of year, he will be a bigger than ever star.
    I also think you will see a much more funny side of Conor in lead up to what looks like will be the Cowboy fight, both of them will be good natured to each other. It will be more like the funny Conor from start of his ufc career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If he follows through on what he said in Moscow, and was to beat say Cowboy or even Gatche/Poirer in Jan, Diaz or Masvidal in summer, and Khabib in Moscow towards end of year, he will be a bigger than ever star.
    I also think you will see a much more funny side of Conor in lead up to what looks like will be the Cowboy fight, both of them will be good natured to each other. It will be more like the funny Conor from start of his ufc career.

Can I have some of Whatever you’re smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

It more and more like a WWE script....

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Can I have some of Whatever you’re smoking?

Haha. I think you are underestimating what Conor is capable of doing. In this game nobody is unbeatable not even Khabib.

Although I don’t think ufc can put a big event in the luzniki in Moscow towards end of year, it would be too cold. It would need to be indoors so a much smaller arena, or else summer in the luzniki which doesn’t really match up with a Conor plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

A lot of ifs in here

Advertisement