Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Homelander

Quite the backing for someone who only has one win at Lightweight which came against a guy who is no longer plying his trade in the UFC.

He made a fool of Alvarez, and knocked Diaz down several times in the rematch, and Diaz is not known for being knocked down like that.

As I said, I'm not for once suggesting that he'd knock out any potential LW match-ups, but he stands a good chance against similar fighters that are known as stand-up traders.

McGregor's a power striker with a limited window. That's more or less it. Unless he's completely fallen off a cliff with the training, he would stand a reasonable chance against Porier, Justin, Tony or whoever in a 3 round fight.

Could he lose? Obviously, easy to see. But he has a good chance in those fights nonetheless. A rematch with Khabib is almost a guaranteed defeat before the fight even gets underway though.

Unless he's massively slipped, I couldn't see him losing against Edgar at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

sonofenoch wrote: »
    But he was at the time and Champion having just beat RDA and Pettis .......or are we only counting Alvares as of now?

He also finished Gaethje, and everyone seems convinced he would smash Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

derfderf wrote: »
    He also finished Gaethje, and everyone seems convinced he would smash Conor.

This improved Gaethje would give him trouble.
    He no longer wades in and blocks everything with his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I think there's a good chance (maybe slightly worse than even money), that he beats Tony Ferguson. Tony starts fights incredibly slow and does get hit, if Conor has retained that one-touch power he could put Tony to bed early. I'm not saying that's what I'd expect the result to be, decent chance of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Homelander wrote:
    McGregor's a power striker with a limited window. That's more or less it. Unless he's completely fallen off a cliff with the training, he would stand a reasonable chance against Porier, Justin, Tony or whoever in a 3 round fight.
    No chance against Tony, he has a much better chance at beating Khabib than Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

From Conor's press conference in the Ukraine promoting his whiskey.

On Khabib v Tony
    "It'll be an interesting one, I think Khabib would probably beat him,"

"Again, you’ve got to see what the circumstances are. Anyone can win on any given day. Tony is a formidable fighter. Also, he’s very, very, tough. He does go down. He does get dropped. His guard has been passed. He's been mounted by a lesser fighter. So I would favor Khabib in that bout."

On his fight against Khabib
    "I believe we overestimated his grappling severely," McGregor said.
    "And we also underestimated his striking. So there are things we will correct. I will go on the offensive from a grappling standpoint. I believe I was winning the clinch exchanges in round three in the bout.
    "But it was a little too late, a little too little, too late in the bout. And also my lack of commitment and, you know, I wasn’t as fully committed as I should be carrying injuries and whatnot. So there’s many things we can improve and sharpen up when the rematch happens."

On his desire to fight
    Funny enough, I just want to compete now,” McGregor said. “I was trying to get the Dec. 14th card, for whatever reason they’ve been holding me back. I’m giving them dates, I’m saying I want to fight this date, this date, this date, this date in a row, and we had opponents selected and everything and they’re just making it very difficult for me for whatever reason."

When asked how many fights he expects to have left in his career, McGregor again pointed to the politics of the sport as the main reason for him being out of action.

“For me, I am looking at—I used to fight every couple of weeks before the UFC came, then it was every couple of months,” McGregor said. “Now the politics of [prize-fighting] got involved and it’s almost if I won and then I go off. I do not like that, you can’t be like that in this game. I must continue, consistency is another word, you must be consistent.

“Once we get the first one going and we get past the politics of this, I will continue to go. I’ve faced very little damage inside the Octagon so I’m eager to get going and continue. If I look at the run I had up to Eddie Alvarez when I won the second world title, it was consecutive bouts. Bout, bout, bout, so I went into that Eddie Alvarez fight sharp, aware, fully prepared. And what happened that night, one of the greatest performances in any title fight ever in the UFC. So that’s what we are looking to continue on in the next time. Again, analyze what went wrong in the past, analyze what went right in the past, use it to go forward to the future.”
    “I even offered for the Frankie Edgar bout to donate my purse to charity,” McGregor said. “Because they were saying we won’t make enough money on the Frankie fight and I was like, I don’t care, don’t worry about me, give my purse to charity.
    “But for whatever reason it’s being made difficult. Like I said, we’re almost there. It’s never easy with this crowd.”

“So now I’m kind of in a position where I’m attempting to set up a charity event. I’ve done this before in my hometown but I done it in an amateur boxing event at my old boxing club, Crumlin Boxing Club, but I want to do it in mixed martial arts competition also. Create an event, find an opponent, compete, zero prize. I do not care about the prize. The prize is in my home. I have five prizes in my home that I seek to get, I’ve got them. I just want to compete now, I want to come back, I want to get sharp, I want to show the best of myself and continue to climb. So that’s what I am seeking to do. So we are looking to do that sometime in December, hopefully have a charity mixed martial arts event for zero prize. The prize will go to charity, so that’s what we are aiming for.” “We’re very, very close to announcing it,” McGregor said. “Not just yet, but surely over the course of this trip we should have an announcement, so that’s what we were aiming for.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Talks a good game as he always does.

Mentions his lack of commitment in the Khabib fight, what's gonna change if he has a rematch? Khabib has already fought again and looked as dominant as he does.

TBH I think there'd be less commitment if a rematch happened due to his whiskey business and other unresolved distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That’s a reasonable interview. Tony v Khabib, focusing too much on his Khabibs grappling, underestimating his striking. Lack of commitment, etc.

I’ve said it before. Conor has watched a lot of tape. He understands fighting better than any random person online. Yet, he makes some hyperbolic post about smashing somebody. And random Billy is waffling about how he knows nothing and is a white belt with a strong left.
    Esse85 wrote: »
    TBH I think there'd be less commitment if a rematch happened due to his whiskey business and other unresolved distractions.
    The whiskey business doesn’t need Conor’s input to function. They know how to make whiskey.

Clever of Conor to talk of a charity fight. He could get injured in that so Dana is not going to want to see him fight in a charity event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mcgregor returns January 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dave1982 wrote: »

returns what? one of his coats to pennys?

dashoonage wrote: »
    returns what? one of his coats to pennys?

Oh he announced it at proper 12 press conference even though it has nothing to do with mma

And he announced his location ritz Hotel.. Just incase anyone is looking for his location he said

https://twitter.com/DannyWArmstrong/status/1187307393174134789?s=09

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dave1982 wrote: »

I'm gonna wait for Dana White to announce it before I believe this or get excited for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

there is actually more chance of him returning a coat to pennys to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Clever of Conor to talk of a charity fight. He could get injured in that so Dana is not going to want to see him fight in a charity event.

Surely his UFC contract would forbid him from taking part in an non-UFC sanctioned MMA bout?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Surely his UFC contract would forbid him from taking part in an non-UFC sanctioned MMA bout?

It depends on the bout and the rules. There are some guys on UFC contracts that fight in BJJ events, I think the most high profile was Jon Jones competing in some grapling events while suspended but still under contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He isn't the same now as he was.

He hasn't been looking after himself as he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Find it hard to believe the UFC will book him a fight with everything going on outside the cage

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

He looks like ****. Absolute state of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is he announcing events happening inside the octagon to take the limelight off what's happening outside the octagon?

He's like a broken record or someone who can't get over the breakup of an ex with the Khabib fight, begging for one more chance and promising that things will be different next time.

It doesn't paint John Kavanagh in a great light, the misdiagnosis of Khabib's fighting style. Conor believes that's what cost him the fight along with lack of focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Would be great if true that he wants to be back fighting often like he used to. Wins in Jan and maybe international fight week in June/July, let’s say over Justin and Dustin, would see him back fighting Khabib or Tony for the title in October or November in msg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Would be great if true that he wants to be back fighting often like he used to. Wins in Jan and maybe international fight week in June/July, let’s say over Justin and Dustin, would see him back fighting Khabib or Tony for the title in October or November in msg.

I don't think even McG could wish for that perfect a timeline! :pac:

I hope they never again let him near a title as soon as he wins a belt, he loses interest and refuse to defend the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Aeriel Helwani mentioned that UFC created a Jan 18th event for Conor, cant remember where I saw him say it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yup. Contractly tied to the UFC.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It depends on the bout and the rules. There are some guys on UFC contracts that fight in BJJ events, I think the most high profile was Jon Jones competing in some grapling events while suspended but still under contract.
    There a huge difference between guys competing in BJJ events and competing in non-UFC MMA events.
    Even with the BJJ events, most guys would require permission to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It doesn't paint John Kavanagh in a great light, the misdiagnosis of Khabib's fighting style. Conor believes that's what cost him the fight along with lack of focus.

There comes a time when someone can be honest with themselves or go down the delusional route and blame others.

If we are being honest what cost Conor the Khabib fight was lack of focus since the Alvarez fight. He was training less and less and taking large swathes of time off letting his cardio and timing go and then coming in and going against the next best guy in the world.

Can you imagine if an Olympic level athlete did that ? To be fair with Conor the fact it was even competitive stands to him. But I think a Alvarez fight condition Conor would have beaten Khabib. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

This whole McGregor situation is beyond bizarre .

He is in Moscow talking about having to take care of what goes into his body and respect for his kids and all that . Then you hear all the stuff in the news here .

It’s like multiple personality disorder .

That wasn’t me it was Patricia .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭robwen

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1187323667304325120?s=19

Cerrone or Gaethje with Cerrone the frontrunner now according to Helwani, then the winner of Diaz & Masvidal & then the winner of Khabib Ferguson, if Khabib fight in Russia with no alcohol this time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Ha I forgot about Diaz. Conor could well fight him in summer for the BMF belt, then fight Khabib/Tony towards end of year for the LW belt.
    By end of 2020 Conor could be Champ cubed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

robwen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1187323667304325120?s=19

Cerrone or Gaethje with Cerrone the frontrunner now according to Helwani, then the winner of Diaz & Masvidal & then the winner of Khabib Ferguson, if Khabib fight in Russia with no alcohol this time

I'd be totally good with this plan. 2 big wins before getting near another title shot.
    Beating Cerrone who is coming off 2 losses shouldn't give anyone a title shot.

Isn't Cerrone lined up to rematch Pettis next though?

Advertisement