Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

120 cows on 10 farms and no fences!!
    Some lads are addicted to hardship.
    Reminds me of that fella Evenflow...:pac:

He was like “as long as they weren’t on lawns.” His only saving grace is my grass was long and distributed their weight. I just got to them before they got to my mothers lawn.

I was saying they got an awful shock off my fence. It’s a force field for 300acres and puts out 7000 volts, that I work 30 miles away and can’t take a chance of getting a call like he just did. All he replied, “when you get those calls 8 times a week, you get used to them.”

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He was like “as long as they weren’t on lawns.” His only saving grace is my grass was long and distributed their weight. I just got to them before they got to my mothers lawn.

I was saying they got an awful shock off my fence. It’s a force field for 300acres and puts out 7000 volts, that I work 30 miles away and can’t take a chance of getting a call like he just did. All he replied, “when you get those calls 8 times a week, you get used to them.”

:)
    Ah will you stop!! :D

He HAS to drive a blue hiace as well.

https://youtu.be/JFsoQ7GJh2I

Ah will you stop!! :D

He HAS to drive a blue hiace as well.

https://youtu.be/JFsoQ7GJh2I

Ha, pretty much a carbon copy, maybe less roaring. Twas like a scene from bachelors in trouble, there was 6inches at the back of his Jeep and the cow trying to get past, then she’d go to the front of the Jeep and he trying to squeeze through the 6 inches to stop her. The crowd that sold the land will regret it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

Grueller wrote: »
    Thanks be to jaysus I've no cows to milk yet. Just in front a wedding and ful enough. 12 tomorrow will be time to get up

Up and out feeding cattle here. What did Christy Moore say? Oh jaysus, jaysus never again.

Off to the day 2 barbecue now at 4.30. I'll report back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Ha, pretty much a carbon copy, maybe less roaring. Twas like a scene from bachelors in trouble, there was 6inches at the back of his Jeep and the cow trying to get past, then she’d go to the front of the Jeep and he trying to squeeze through the 6 inches to stop her. The crowd that sold the land will regret it yet.

He might seem harmless but the reasoning behind buying ground all over the county and not fencing it is to basically get to graze the neighbours aswell,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

jaymla627 wrote: »
    He might seem harmless but the reasoning behind buying ground all over the county and not fencing it is to basically get to graze the neighbours aswell,

There's 2 sides to a fence.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Isn't you county final that was posponed last weekend on tomorrow too?

Minors won, seniors lost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

whelan2 wrote: »
    Minors won, seniors lost

Balls. That's two years in a row losing. I seem to remember that they left it behind last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

A man locally would have kept large numbers of sucklers during the reference years on a large acreage of owned and rented land. He wasn't known for taking good care of the rented ground and would generally be given his marching orders within a few years. Therefore he had to cast the net further afield every year for more acreage. One year he attended a land setting auction the guts of 30 miles from home and gave a big price for 10 acres of rough grazing on an 11 months lease. The auctioneer didn't know him and having made enquires asked him as to why he'd bother with such a small place seeing as he had such a bundle of cattle. He replied that driving down the road he'd seen that the surrounding land was only half stocked and all he wanted was a local address to get his foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

A man locally would have kept large numbers of sucklers during the reference years on a large acreage of owned and rented land. He wasn't known for taking good care of the rented ground and would generally be given his marching orders within a few years. Therefore he had to cast the net further afield every year for more acreage. One year he attended a land setting auction the guts of 30 miles from home and gave a big price for 10 acres of rough grazing on an 11 months lease. The auctioneer didn't know him and having made enquires asked him as to why he'd bother with such a small place seeing as he had such a bundle of cattle. He replied that driving down the road he'd seen that the surrounding land was only half stocked and all he wanted was a local address to get his foot in the door.

I met a lad the other day who asked would I give him a hand testing in a couple of weeks, was surprised when he said he had something over 80 sucklers and whatever calves were with them. He only has about 10 acres owned if that and bits rented. I was telling the old fella when I was home and he said the same crowd are the same way for years, rent a piece and hope the neighbours were quiet when stock would break in haha

• Advertisement

For the most part, I’m lucky that way. Well fenced at his bounds but I hadn’t a gate up at the bottom of our avenue when I was applying for planning. I was told not to have one up and I rebuilt a pier and Beverly put up a gate again. I’ll do it now.

Dad always said if he went down with TB, half of our parish and half the neighboring one would be locked up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Driving between Dundalk and Carrickmacross last night.

Approaching a crossroads I could see a car waiting for me to pass as it was dark and lights were easily seen.

Just as I approached the junction a guy on a bicycle came up along side the car and straight across the junction in front of us. Jamming on breaks I missed him by few feet.

Pricks like this get all cyclists a bad name. Selfish moron risking his life just to keep up momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have a lad like that beside us at the minute, takes ground beside us for tillage and then out winters sucklers and their calves on stubbles, not a strand of wire his side and cattle half starving half the time, where breaking through double stranded wire into us with 8k vollts in it last January...
    It happened twice on 3rd occasion I lost the rag and said next time the whole lot was been put out on the road and drove up to the adjoining forestry...
    He moved then onto stubbles beside a badly fenced main road on same block then and a cow ended up on main road been hit by a car, killed stone dead and car wrote off he's been took to the cleaners now by driver of car

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This house budget of a woman with 6 children, working on a pig farm, may be of interest.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/spending-money-diary-ireland-pig-farmer-4850943-Oct2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

Grueller wrote: »
    Up and out feeding cattle here. What did Christy Moore say? Oh jaysus, jaysus never again.

Off to the day 2 barbecue now at 4.30. I'll report back tomorrow.

Burnt out!!!!!!!
    2 day weddings are for the young of this world not auld lads like myself. Had some craic though:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Out for a walk yesterday evening with wife and kids. Herself says lets have a race ! Bit of a 20 yard dash. Off I went and powered into the lead 😂 Snap !!
    Crippled today either pulled or tore a quad I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

It’s the season of cluster flies. Gave up hovering them and then emptied a can of fly spray upstairs. Hopefully that will cure the worst of them.

Odelay wrote: »
    It’s the season of cluster flies. Gave up hovering them and then emptied a can of fly spray upstairs. Hopefully that will cure the worst of them.

We never get those cluster flies here.
    I think you have to be near natural woodland or marshland?

If you were standing here for five minutes though today you'd be covered in small spiders and webs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If you were standing here for five minutes though today you'd be covered in small spiders and webs.
    The whins in the hedgerows have been covered in gossamer in the last week or so. This years spiderlings are heading off on their next adventure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

Well I had planned on brining a bag full of spiders into the house to take care of the flies, but that would have led to other problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Well I had planned on brining a bag full of spiders into the house to take care of the flies, but that would have led to other problems...

A bagful of birds to catch the spiders, a bagful of cats to catch the birds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Jeez, the politicians in the north are gas, brexit has been flying around for nearly 3 years and they decided they didn’t need an government which impacts them all, yet mention abortion and same sex marriage which impacts a few and they are all over it. At least we know their priorities........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

DUP spends all last week in Wesrminister demanding NI is treated exactly the same as rest of UK, and all day today in Stormont demanding that it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    DUP spends all last week in Wesrminister demanding NI is treated exactly the same as rest of UK, and all day today in Stormont demanding that it isn't!

Could you imagine Ian paisley with all that's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Over the years I've found spiders webbing in the skylights are the greatest way to nab the likes of bluebottles in the house

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Didn't the Labour MP's though play a blinder in tabling the motion of same sex marriage and abortion through on the same day and playing the DUP as fools when the power sharing assembly was broken up. And the DUP couldn't do a thing today when Sinn Fein wouldn't attend today.
    So you had the particular circumstances of the power sharing assembly in Stormont broken up, two Labour MP's tabling the motion, it being voted for in favour in Westminster, the DUP trying today to reconvene the assembly today to block it, Sinn Fein not attending so that failed, and then any that did attend today all fell out with each other over who the new speaker would be and all walked out.

If there is a God it was poetic justice against the DUP today. :p

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Over the years I've found spiders webbing in the skylights are the greatest way to nab the likes of bluebottles in the house
    Much to my late Mam's horror I try to keep as many spider webs in my house as possible :)
    Unfortunately most people/home owners don't appreciate the work that spiders do in catching flies, crane flies (daddy long legs) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

on now - 103 - ITV
    The Unknown Soldiers
    A special episode dedicated to the extraordinary searches for soldiers lost in battle during first world war.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Could you imagine Ian paisley with all that's going on?
    As I posted in the Brexit thread I associate him with "No Surrender" and I thought that both sides have moved on from that type of rhetoric but it seems to be trying to rear it's ugly head again :mad:

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    As I posted in the Brexit thread I associate him with "No Surrender" and I thought that both sides have moved on from that type of rhetoric but it seems to be trying to rear it's ugly head again :mad:

The DUP live in their own bubble far removed from real life business and cooperation. They even make their own religion to suit their own ideology.
    I'm not on about Presbyterian or Methodist, I'm on about these far removed from sense and life ideological evangelist ones as Green Pastures. Brainwashing.
    The money came for these isolationist creations from Wright bus and money pumped into the north from the UK for the vast civil service to keep the peace.
    They've been spoiled rotten in other words and never needed to be any other way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement