Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Has the Irish government actually assented to that consent section?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

lawred2 wrote: »

Haven't seen said explicitly but if EU are signed up, as suggested, it would certainly imply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Presumably yes. I suspect this might be the bones of the arrangement that Johnson and Varadkar came to in Cheshire.

Haven't seen said explicitly but if EU are signed up, as suggested, it would certainly imply it.
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Presumably yes. I suspect this might be the bones of the arrangement that Johnson and Varadkar came to in Cheshire.

If it's as reported - then I'm seriously not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Cross community vote would mean both Nationalist and Unionist parties would need to agree to stay in after 4 years

That's what I thought, but Tony C mentions that cross community majority is seen as favourable for the DUB and simple majority seen as less favourable for them.
    Maybe I'm just being stupid this morning, but I just can't reconcile that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Russman wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but Tony C mentions that cross community majority is seen as favourable for the DUB and simple majority seen as less favourable for them.

I guess because cross community support would in theory be harder to achieve, either side could conceivably collapse the assembly to get their way. With a third of seats guaranteeing a majority might not be so achievable.

Russman wrote: »

simple

cross community means a majority in both communities... But the DUP feel that they could engineer a majority in their own community to break from the agreement and it wouldn't matter a toss what themmuns voted for.

It's basically a unionist veto as far as I read it.

However a simple majority across NI would be near impossible for the DUP to engineer. And they know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The DUP only represent 10 MPs out of over 600 and a tiny percentage of the electorate of the UK.
    Why is their position given so much importance.

The GFA is one of the most successful peace agreements in the world in recent times and the DUP totally opposed it. (See the apoplectic Ruth Patterson video posted earlier)

If it was up to the DUP there would be no GFA.

If the HoC arithmetic is so tight that 10 votes will make a difference it will still be a very divided parliament in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

If it's as reported - then I'm seriously not impressed

Why they've achieved what the backstop was intended to achieve. No hard border

• Advertisement

Why they've achieved what the backstop was intended to achieve. No hard border

they've kicked the can down the road and given the green light for the DUP to depart from the agreement in four years' time..

how is that a 'backstop'? Unless and until?

simple

cross community means a majority in both communities... But the DUP feel that they could engineer a majority in their own community to break from the agreement and it wouldn't matter a toss what themmuns voted for.

However a simple majority across NI would be near impossible for the DUP to engineer. And they know that.

No.

The mooted arrangement is a simple majority leads to 4 more years.
    If both communities support, can be extended to 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

andrew bridgen on the radio there saying if the DUP reject it so will he and so will most of the ERG.
    this gives the DUP great cover as the vote will be lost by a lot more than their votes.

No.

Ok... that's a damn sight better. I can get onboard with that.

Makes sense why the DUP have flounced then.

farmchoice wrote: »
    andrew bridgen on the radio there saying if the DUP reject it so will he and so will most of the ERG.
    this gives the DUP great cover as the vote will be lost by a lot more than their votes.

grand..

That's the Tories last chance shot then. They won't get another shot at Brexit. That's the best outcome all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

No.

as it was explained on the radio the proposl as as follows.

vote after 4 years
    if voted down, 2 year cooling off period
    if in these 2 years stormont collapses the status quo remains (backstop in force)
    so even if the DUP got a vote over the line to leave the backstop SF just have to collapse stormount to ensure no change in status.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

simple

Anyone who's watched the chaos in the UK parliament thanks to the two main parties dysfunction and then claims it could never happen in stormont is deliberately disingenuous or deluded. Coveney and Varadker made a big production about not letting the British government undermining the GFA , and then they did exactly that themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

lobbylad wrote: »
    So, under the rumoured deal, how would the following work out:

(a) I order something from amazon UK, shipped to my home, I get charged any excise/tariffs as UK is a non EU country

(b) I register a parcelmotel NI address, order on amazon UK, its shipped to the NI address, no excise as its internal UK, then its forwarded to Dublin, again no excise/tariffs as its across the NI/ROI border.

Seems the route of my parcel would allow me to avoid EU charges?

Or buy from amazon.de. Though I do wonder how parcel motel will fare in this new landscape.

grand..

That's the Tories last chance shot then. They won't get another shot at Brexit. That's the best outcome all round.

Such self important little twerps. 66 million in the UK and 450 odd million in the EU all dancing to the tune of 10 MP's representing at most around 250k voters.

The concession and movement from the EU has been remarkable when it hasn't needed to move at all.

The pressure is mostly on the UK - it is their economy which is being strangled by the uncertainty and their society which is at the brink of breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

they've kicked the can down the road and given the green light for the DUP to depart from the agreement in four years' time..

Same way is if the UK agreed to a deal and then after a few years pulled the plug on it.

My understanding is the DUP don't have a veto . If they do it's a useless but if it's by the democratic will of a majority in NI I don't see how we can object to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

grand..

They're favourite to win the next election though?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sterling has just shot up.

Has something happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

farmchoice wrote: »

A lot them voted for May's deal the third time round. Its backs to the wall for them now. Rejecting this could finish Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The DUP will never win an election again if they run on a leave platform.

The overwhelming majority support the backstop or backstop like arrangements.

Also demographics are projected trending against the DUP for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Has something happened?

Deal's done. Eager to see what the final consent decision is.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184763635731750912

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Agreement reached!

I want to see the consent section!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,523 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is he going ahead without the DUP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has something happened?

Tony Connelly has trodden on his phone.

So then was the DUP statement this morning the classic "no no no no - yes" strategy. It's underlined their cultural position but now comes the realpolitik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Dytalus wrote: »
    Deal's done. Eager to see what the final consent decision is.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184763635731750912

Yet again Tony Connelly tweet affecting Sterling. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement