Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Peter Foster (Telegraph) thinks they are on board.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1184764123822903296?s=20

The DUP themselves are denying this, not sources from the EU. It seems to me that the UK has informed the EU that the DUP is onboard and this is what is being reported from Brussels.

https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/1184766292953325568?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sky have just quoted DUP sources saying our statement from this morning still stands.

https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/1184766292953325568

We need to get it from the horse's mouth. People saying both

Yep, David Blevins saying no as well. So Boris throwing DUP under the bus then? Dunno how he gets the HoC arithmetic to work in his favour if he is.

https://twitter.com/skydavidblevins/status/1184766856340660229?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭josip

DUP won't be happy that it's the EU saying the DUP are on board.
    Even if they are on board, that would be enough to knock them overboard again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Problem with Twitter people just rushing to get even the flimsiest of news out there, desperate to be first. Should have higher standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

devnull wrote: »
    They might also be the villan if it ends with no deal....

They are the villain anyway. They are really the only party who have had a voice in this process, and that voice has said either 'gimme, gimme, gimme' or 'no, no, no'.

They have become more well known throughout the UK due to Brexit, but that's not necessarily a good thing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

One useful outcome out of this morning's shenagins is that the UK mainland will be seeing first hand, how braindead, awkward and self serving, the knuckle draggers that call themselves the DUP are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

LBC saying DUP aren't on board. Which would mean the ERG at least in part won't be either

Brexit Hardman Steve Baker supports it, and he carries enormous weight with these goons. If he's behind it, can only assume he will take the majority of the ERG with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I don't know why investors are buying sterling. We all know the deal is not going to get through the HOC.
    It will be at least 40 shy of 320.
    Unless Johnson adds a second referendum stipulation to the deal.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Brexit Hardman Steve Baker supports it, and he carries enormous weight with these goons. If he's behind it, can only assume he will take the majority of the ERG with him.

Would majority even be enough though? Two or three erg voting against would be a big enough problem on it's own.

Problem with Twitter people just rushing to get even the flimsiest of news out there, desperate to be first. Should have higher standards.

I think it is the same as Tony Connolly last night, the news from Brussels from EU sources is different from the UK. It seems to me that the information being passed to the EU is not reliable (shock and horror that a Johnson Government is spreading lies) and thus we are getting conflicting information.

The problem I see if they are trying to bump the DUP into a deal is that it will have the opposite effect. At the very least if it was me I would buckle down out of hardheadedness.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1184767658966822913?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes.

When push comes to shove these guys will not be taking a bullet for NI.

They don't care one jot about NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Majority isn't good enough however ,they need every vote

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

joe316 wrote: »
    One useful outcome out of this morning's shenagins is that the UK mainland will be seeing first hand, how braindead, awkward and self serving, the knuckle draggers that call themselves the DUP are.
    The DUP are idiots, but at this point in time I'm delighted that they are continuing along that line. If they were to agree to anything then there is a chance that Brexit could happen in two weeks time, so whilst they continue to shoot themselves in the foot multiple times as they can't understand what they are doing it's all fine with me.

Bring on the Benn Act and the extension.

True. Peter Foster is after doing a u turn.............

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1184768544673845249?s=20

In any case this deal will not be ratified before the weekend. It seems a text can be agreed but the deal will need approval from the EU parliament and they are not sitting until next week.

https://twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1184613116123987969?s=20

Enzokk wrote: »
    I think it is the same as Tony Connolly last night, the news from Brussels from EU sources is different from the UK. It seems to me that the information being passed to the EU is not reliable (shock and horror that a Johnson Government is spreading lies) and thus we are getting conflicting information.

The problem I see if they are trying to bump the DUP into a deal is that it will have the opposite effect. At the very least if it was me I would buckle down out of hardheadedness.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1184767658966822913?s=20

I agree. Connelly did get it wrong but I'm not going to hammer him for it, he had multiple sources and was genuine. But yes, I do think it is UK gov giving them a bum steer and they should definitely be more cognizant of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

jm08 wrote: »
    Boris presumably is going to try and get the hardliners in ERG onside.

If he doesn't and they crash out with no deal, or asks for an extension, his political career as a PM has to end.

First reason is that he fails to get his deal over the line and therefore basically doesn't have the confidence in his own party.

Secondly, his dead in a ditch claims will kill him if he asks for an extension and is not out of the EU by the 31st.

The author of the "Burned" (the cash for ashes book), Sam McBride, is on Sean O'Rourke and has said Foster is terrible for details, which should worry the DUP. It may also explain why on so many occasions they appear to have rowed back on things, she agrees to something not knowing the details, someone else comes along and points out stuff, and she's oh yeah, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Adam Boulton chairing a very interesting debate on Sky.
    Poland, Finland, Ireland, France and Germany represented.
    Mairead McGuinness doing very well.

None of the 5 guests think that the UK will actually be outside the EU on the 1st November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/1184766292953325568

We need to get it from the horse's mouth. People saying both

There were reports earlier this week saying the DUP was split, so it may be depending on which side of the DUP are talking!

robinph wrote: »
    The DUP are idiots, but at this point in time I'm delighted that they are continuing along that line. If they were to agree to anything then there is a chance that Brexit could happen in two weeks time, so whilst they continue to shoot themselves in the foot multiple times as they can't understand what they are doing it's all fine with me.

Bring on the Benn Act and the extension.

Absolutely. Dup are remainers biggest friends at the moment, my enemy's enemy kind of way. Strange alliance you'd have to say but this is brexit, anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The good law project are going to take the deal to court . They contend it's illegal due to JRM's law

Adam Boulton chairing a very interesting debate on Sky.
    Poland, Finland, Ireland, France and Germany represented.
    Mairead McGuinness doing very well.

None of the 5 guests think that the UK will actually be outside the EU on the 1st November.

I laughed when it was mentioned that the EU needs to be careful that the UK doesn't become a tax haven and Boulton said his information is that the level playing field has been agreed. The response I believe from the German contributor (I believe) was priceless, "Why would you leave the EU then?"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It will be at least 40 shy of 320.
    Unless Johnson adds a second referendum stipulation to the deal.

It isn't up to Johnson anymore, he doesn't have a majority. Labour+SNP+LibDems+Ex-tories have the numbers to add an extension+referendum to the deal in the HoC.

Not Labours ideal play, since they would prefer to have a Remain vs. Norway referendum, but maybe they will go for it. LibDems would prefer Remain vs. This Deal, since this deal is a lot worse than any Norway and less likely to win.

This deal with it's sweetheart treatment of NI is nearly as good as No Deal for the purposes of the SNP, so I'd say a ref. on this one would suit them.

Brexit Deal has been done and its time to move on, according to the EU. So it looks as if they have gone ahead regardless of the DUP's misgivings.

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/brexit-deal-has-been-done-and-its-time-to-move-on-says-eu-38604208.html

Barnier press conference on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From the horses mouth in Downing Street

EHEmonqWkAAr34D?format=jpg&name=medium

"Special arrangements" = Special status.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is the 2nd deal that has been accepted by the EU.

If the British Parliament rejects this again, then they will be the laughing stock of the civilised world (moreso)

• Advertisement

From the horses mouth in Downing Street

"Special arrangements" = Special status.

That is going fall apart under any scrutiny in the HoC, how can you be in a different customs union and keep a open border? You have a special arrangement, or the backstop by another name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement